Code of Conduct
o

Default chanel exclusifs layering ideas (Chanel Beige)

A SA very familiar with Chanel suggested layering Beige with Coromandel or with Cuir de Russie when I complained about how sweet Beige is.

I did a small test of the Beige/Coromandel combo and it really is quite nice.

Has anyone else tried various combinations?

SAs will frequently suggest layering the Eau de Cologne with (fill in the blank), but I think that's because EdC isn't very obtrusive and they can sell you two exclusifs rather than one and make you feel that the layering combo is something unique and special. Nevertheless, the Beige layering might be worth further evaluation.

What do you all think? Do you have any layering favorites in the exclusif line?

Default Re: chanel exclusifs layering ideas (Chanel Beige)

I suppose the combo is good because Coromandel is. Layering is much welcomed by SAs because it allows them to sell two items, of which one is of lower quality. But if a perfume is good to start with, I don't see the point.

I just read about the appearance of Jersey. I haven't smelled it, but from the description, it appears to be another candidate for layering, so to speak.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I suppose the combo is good because Coromandel is. Layering is much welcomed by SAs because it allows them to sell two items, of which one is of lower quality. But if a perfume is good to start with, I don't see the point.

I just read about the appearance of Jersey. I haven't smelled it, but from the description, it appears to be another candidate for layering, so to speak.

cacio
    Cacio: Thank you for your response; the Beige may indeed be superfluous when next to Coromandel. While there are a lot of fans of the Chanel EdC, I put that one in the superfluous layer pile as well.

I agree with you about Jersey and its possible "layering potential". Our stores don't have Jersey available yet, but apparently it's available on the Chanel website.

I adore the Chanel Eau de Cologne, it's the best way to get 5 minutes of happiness. Then it goes away. Which makes it even sillier as a layering device. What's the point if it's gone right away?

Presumably, SAs came up with this trick for clients who think that an original recipe eau de cologne should behave like a regular perfume. These clients should simply be steered towards Bleu (layered or otherwise), which is, indeed, vastly better than Light Blue.

cacio

EdC is my favorite "smell" of the exclusif line, but its longevity is seriously disappointing. I thought that another frag might ground it and make it last longer.

I was disappointed with Bleue, although the bottle is eye catching.

Unfortunately, this is the nature of eau de colognes and citruses in general. They don't last. They are very volatile substances, which makes them extremely fresh and happy, but very short lived. It's a fact of life. As such, they should be used as fresheners, at the gym and the like, but not as perfumes.

Any attempt to make a fresh eau de cologne last longer has so far ended in failure; the result is chemical and sharp, not fresh and natural. And in fact, I agree with you that Bleu is disappointing. It is durable, but nowhere near as pleasant as the Eau de Cologne.

cacio

Unfortunately, this is the nature of eau de colognes and citruses in general. They don't last. They are very volatile substances, which makes them extremely fresh and happy, but very short lived. It's a fact of life. As such, they should be used as fresheners, at the gym and the like, but not as perfumes.

Any attempt to make a fresh eau de cologne last longer has so far ended in failure; the result is chemical and sharp, not fresh and natural. And in fact, I agree with you that Bleu is disappointing. It is durable, but nowhere near as pleasant as the Eau de Cologne.

cacio
    Cacio,

I'm going off topic here, but I find this citrus discussion interesting: one exception to the citrus longevity rule: Guerlain's Philtre d' Amour was a citrusy chypre in EDP / it kind of read as a cologne, but with good lasting power. It has been the only citrus-based scent I've liked that wasn't chemically harsh and long lasting. If you think of any others, please let me know!

Interesting, I have not smelled PdA. It must have been the chypre structure underneath. What I meant is that I cannot think of anything that has a pure fresh blast of citrus (without darker supporting materials, like oakmoss or ambers) and lasts. I can think of a few things with (darker) citrus as a lasting note (such as New York, where the orange-amber lasts quite a bit), but they're not "fresh". For freshness, I go to vetivers, which are more durable; but they're green-vegetal, not bright citrusy. Vetiver extraordinaire would be the freshest I can think of, Vetiver pour elle another candidate (more light floral though).

An interesting borderline case is Amouage Silver: it's a fresh citrus-rose note sustained by a strange metallic background, like a sharp sword. I hate metallic notes, but Silver manages to remain pleasant and natural smelling throughout. I feel uncomfortable wearing it, as I feel I'm about to fall in the next fresh azure turbosport frag anytime. I have also not tested it extensively, so I don't know how durable it is (although it certainly lasts more than a regular eau de cologne).

cacio

Interesting, I have not smelled PdA. It must have been the chypre structure underneath. What I meant is that I cannot think of anything that has a pure fresh blast of citrus (without darker supporting materials, like oakmoss or ambers) and lasts. I can think of a few things with (darker) citrus as a lasting note (such as New York, where the orange-amber lasts quite a bit), but they're not "fresh". For freshness, I go to vetivers, which are more durable; but they're green-vegetal, not bright citrusy. Vetiver extraordinaire would be the freshest I can think of, Vetiver pour elle another candidate (more light floral though).

An interesting borderline case is Amouage Silver: it's a fresh citrus-rose note sustained by a strange metallic background, like a sharp sword. I hate metallic notes, but Silver manages to remain pleasant and natural smelling throughout. I feel uncomfortable wearing it, as I feel I'm about to fall in the next fresh azure turbosport frag anytime. I have also not tested it extensively, so I don't know how durable it is (although it certainly lasts more than a regular eau de cologne).

cacio
    Cacio,
    We may be perfume twins; I feel the same way about vetiver.

If you want a sample of Philtre, send me a message and I'll mail some out; it would be fun to hear your opinion.

After sampling Amouage Silver Woman a few years back, and after many months of looking, I found a new bottle and am waiting for a very special day to open it - like a fine champagne! I agree Silver has a clean, crisp, alertness to it, like most citrus and vetiver based frags, but without the chemical harshness. From my recollection, the Amouage Silver Man sample was every bit as nice. Perhaps that metallic note is a type of frankinsense (sp?)?

I only smelled the recent Silver - I don't even remember the genre. Who knows, could be a frankincense note, very different from the fresh lemony Amouage frankincense of, say, Jub XXV.

While it's not fresh in the usual sense, a recent love of mine is Paco Rabanne Metal, which manages to add a mineral/metallic note to a fresh green floral. It's all but natural smelling, and yet it manages to smell fresh and pleasant to me.

cacio