Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy Gentlemen VS Monsieur De Givenchy ?

What's the difference between these two ?

I know Monsieur De is just a new bottle design - but thought Gentlemen was the same as Monsieur De, but seems Gentlemen is also a new bottle design, so consider me slightly confused ??

Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Default Re: Givenchy Gentlemen VS Monsieur De Givenchy ?

the new bottles are the les parfums mythiques series, one of which is the current monsieur de givenchy
    they are quite different. one is patchouli the other is citrus.

Yes, very different fragrances. Monsieur de Givenchy is similar to Dior Eau Sauvage- a discreet citrus. Givenchy Gentleman is heavier and has patchouli and leather. Both are great.

Thanks to you both for the answer.

I've ordered both now along with Eau Sauvage. My 40th, 41st & 42nd EDT purchase since joining basenote 3-4 weeks ago
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Hillaire

Monsieur has been re-issued in the new exclusivity line.
    Gentleman was never re-tooled, per se.

However both have been significantly reformulated.

Monsieur is a light cologne with an amazing sandalwood note, and in the vintage bottles, it's real santal oil!
    Gentleman is a heavy-hitting sweet patchouli fougere. Older formulations were earthier and more leathery.

I tend to think of them as the 'perfect sandalwood' and the 'perfect patchouli' respectively.

Hillaire

This might move to then men's forum?
    Not that I don't wear these !

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    Yes, very different fragrances. Monsieur de Givenchy is similar to Dior Eau Sauvage- a discreet citrus. Givenchy Gentleman is heavier and has patchouli and leather. Both are great.
    And sorry for going OT in my own thread, but how would you compare Eau Sauvage new formula (NOT EXTREME)/Monsieur De Givenchy to Chanel Allure Edition Blanche ?

I sort of disliked Allure Edition Blanche at first thinking of Lemon cream pie, but after the strong lime topnote was gone it actually reminded me a bit of Eau Sauvage from the early 1990's, maybe I remember it totally wrong....
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    This might move to then men's forum?
    Not that I don't wear these !
    Ohhh my fault - oooopppssss

Could a mod please move it. I'm typing in the middle of the night on my iPhone and without contacts - I'm bored and can't sleep, so think of frags
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Hillaire

To answer your question to Dennard , I'd say half-a-dozen-'o-one... in their new formulations. Both are fair-to-good uneventful citric colognes. Both are affordable. I doubt I could recognize either on a man today, though, as some of the personality traits have gone missing in their reformulation: The bitter fruit and animalic aspects are gone from the ES, and the tart, back-of-the-nose aldehyde bite and soapy, creamy sandalwood is gone from MG.

But if you get interested in the vintages, the Monsieur is exciting in ways ES is not. It's deeper and more tonic, and that sandalwood not is pretty special.

Oh, and I cannot include Allure! I cannot recall it! But to add Chanel Monsieur vintage, for fun, (again, not great anymore)I'd say it's my second favorite, to MG. It's so lemony and brisk, it is a bonafide mood-lifter! But it's never sexy to me, and I think MG is. Can you tell I love Givenchy men's scents?
    Last edited by Hillaire; 28th September 2011 at 03:04 AM.

To answer your question to Dennard , I'd say half-a-dozen-'o-one... in their new formulations. Both are fair-to-good uneventful citric colognes. Both are affordable. I doubt I could recognize either on a man today, though, as some of the personality traits have gone missing in their reformulation: The bitter fruit and animalic aspects are gone from the ES, and the tart, back-of-the-nose aldehyde bite and soapy, creamy sandalwood is gone from MG.

But if you get interested in the vintages, the Monsieur is exciting in ways ES is not. It's deeper and more tonic, and that sandalwood not is pretty special.

Oh, and I cannot include Allure! I cannot recall it! But to add Chanel Monsieur vintage, for fun, (again, not great anymore)I'd say it's my second favorite, to MG. It's so lemony and brisk, it is a bonafide mood-lifter! But it's never sexy to me, and I think MG is. Can you tell I love Givenchy men's scents?
    I really think you should try Allure Edition Blanche - though very lime/Citrus the first hour, it turns into a pretty nice pleasant toned down citrus line scent with a pretty solid base.

I just thought of my cheap - BUT GREAT AfterShave products - Proraso Cutting Edge after shave Protective balm and After shave razor burn relief lotion, which both have the same lemon scent, but the Allure Edition Blanche grew on me.

I think it would smell great on a woman too, especially after the strong citrus top notes are gone !!
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Monsieur is a light cologne with an amazing sandalwood note, and in the vintage bottles, it's real santal oil!
    Now you've got me interested. I find no sandalwood in the mythique bottle just a too refined cologne with aromatics lemon and some oakmoss. What are your thoughts on the current formulation? Is the vintage really that different?

Thanks for your answer, Hillaire. I'm not familiar with that particular Chanel.