Code of Conduct

Default Best of my five tobacco scents

Which one of these would you consider the best and why? I enjoy all of them and have a hard time deciding which was the best and why.

What are your impressions? Thank you for your input.

(Not in order)

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

SL Fumerie Turque

By Killian Back to Black

Habanita de Molinard

Costamor Tabacca
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Best of my five tobacco scents

You have the tobacco holy trinity listed (BtB, TV and Fumerie Turque) -- the other two I can't comment on.

BtB - feminine tobacco (some people disagree on the feminine part, but to me it is quite feminine even though I still wear it occasionally)

TV - absolutely fantastic stuff. I actually wore it today and the heart/base was better than I recall. The opening is flawless and overall this is truly a must for any tobacco fan.

Fumerie Turque - I love my fragrances to have a very dark/mysterious atmosphere and this hits the nail on the head. A night time scent if ever there was one. I would consider this the best of the bunch - however if you are looking for wearability for all occasions (ie a daily frag) I would go with TV or BtB. TV is a powerhouse in terms of sillage and longevity whereas BtB is average.

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (wore this one last Saturday, I almost vomited on the dancefloor away to sweet, too much Honey)

By Killian Back to Black (TOO MUCH HONEY!!!!)

Besides of the ones above mentioned from your list, the other two I am not familiar with.

I do like very much Thierry Mugler - Pure Havane - It is Gourmand but not to sweet, Tobacco was beautifully worked on this one , IMO 1.000 better than Tom Ford - Tobacco & Vanille
    Last edited by Bonoanimoes; 28th September 2011 at 08:43 AM.

Tobacco Vanille my fave of that list.

Tobacco Vanille gets my vote. I sampled Habanita few times, but I must say I don't find tobacco very prominent. It's rather a floral powdery scent, very pleasant but not quite the tobacco i was expecting

Off your list, I'd add Vetiver Tonka Hermenessence, the tobacco note is quite strong and really lovely
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

I haven't tried costamor tabacca but from the rest, I'd pick Fumerie Turque

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (wore this one last Saturday, I almost vomited on the dancefloor away to sweet, too much Honey)
    + 1000 , hahaha , so true!!

Fumerie Turque is smooth , seductive, elegant ...has class ; very charming indeed!!
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I've only smelled and own the TV and BtB out of the selections. I think they both have their place and their uses, but over all I tend to like BtB better personally. Much smoother and void of the "HEY I'M IN THE ROOM IF YOU DIDN'T NOTICE!" vibe that TV has, which is appreciated more where I live.

Monte Cristo Club
    Caliber 12
    Prince de Galles Gold
    Volcano
    Retroverso Man Tea Tobacco

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Which one of these would you consider the best and why? I enjoy all of them and have a hard time deciding which was the best and why.

(Not in order)

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

SL Fumerie Turque

By Killian Back to Black

Habanita de Molinard

Costamor Tabacca
    Of your list I have only tried B2B and TV. I found the tobacco note in B2B to come across as a dry and realistic tobacco. As if you were holding a dried tobacco leaf up to your nose and inhaling. Unfortunately, I felt that it shifted too quickly to the base and found the base too powdery and lacking. The tobacco note in TV smells more like processed pipe tobacco to me, much like you would smell walking in to a pipe shop. The tobacco hangs out in the background for the entire wear, even though it does give center stage to vanilla in the dry down. The tobacco that hangs around keeps the vanilla unique and enjoyable and far removed from the "vanilla scented candle" road a lot of fragrances end up on. I know it wasn't part of the original question, but, I saw Pure Havane suggested. I think that PH is a caricature of a tobacco note. When I first smelled PH I thought it smelled of tobacco elegance, then I got my nose on TV and B2B and I now get more cherry from PH than anything else. I love it and wear it all the time, but, it is not even close to the level of these fragrances when it comes to tobacco.

Tobacco Vanille is by far my favorite Tobacco scent, truly a masterpiece

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Tobacco Vanille is...truly a masterpiece
    Completely agree!!

1. Tobacco Vanille
    2. Burberry London
    3. Michael for Men
    4. Cuba Red
    5. I like the tobacco in Guerlain's Vetiver/ Pure Havane (decant)
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

I have -
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille - i simply adore it's prunes, sticky dates, vanille opening, with warm undertones of tobacco and amber. i agree with reviews which states it's mids to base smells somewhat like chergui. which makes it all the more appealing btw, i like black orchid and gourmands of likes. i simply don't agree with reviews which states it's linear. TV is as complex as it gets.

SL Fumerie Turque - i find it smoky...it doesnt give me a impression of tobacco.. btw, i have never sniffed tobacco flowers per se..so dunno if that smells like it.

purely from tobacco perspective...miller harris feuilles de tabac.. it's like smoking wet cigarette in rain

Thank you all for the kind input to my query! Mixed responses as we all have preferences.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by telecaster View Post
    I like the tobacco in Guerlain's Vetiver
    I really love that tobacco
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Haven't tried the last two on your list, but have SL and TF and a sample of BK. Out of those three, I'd probably go with TF. The thing is, there's so many others out there I'd probably put on my own list as well. Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac and Odori Tobacco both do the note very well without sharing the spotlight too much with other notes. I rarely see I Profumi di Firenze's Tabacco mentioned when it comes to tobacco scents, but it's a nice, boozy blonde tobacco scent.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Technically, I also have Caron's Aimez-Moi, which is a floral tobacco. Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir has tobacco, as does Fifi Chachnil. These three scents feature tobacco, but not as a starring one.\

I also like the Odori Tobacco, but not enough to spring for a FB.

Czech and speake cuba is worth adding to the list, imo. A dry tobacco not sweet but sharp and musty like a humidoor... Goodstuff
    Allan
    Top Five For Now: Kenzo Power Cologne, Mugler Cologne, Lalique Encre Noire, Dior Homme EDT, Yohji Homme

I usu. like a little sweetness and gravitate toward Back to Black and Fumerie.

Thank you again for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post

(Not in order)

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

SL Fumerie Turque

By Killian Back to Black

Habanita de Molinard

Costamor Tabacca
    I have smelled them all intensively except the last one.

They are all different and all generally very good.

When I see such questions raised about which of a list of perfumes is best or better whilst being from the same genre, and in your case top of their genre, I like to say that they are all good and compliment each other. The tobacco connosieur should own at least 3 of your 5 as they suit his or her liking and compliment each other. Its the same with vetiver for myself. I have several different types that all satisfy my craving for a vetiver (today I have Vetiver Tonka on) while a few days ago I have vetiver by Etro on (which means today I want a sweetish almond vetiver and the other days I wanted a severe cutthroat vetiver).

So in this case, I suggest you try them all and select the one you ultimately like. Or get 2.

If I am a medium connoisseur if tobacco, I would get Fumerie Turque and Tobacco Vanille purely out of personal liking. For the former, I simply adore Serge Lutens and his interpretations of a subject and in this case smokey tobacco with hints of honey and resins. This is the archaeologist at the scene while Tobacco Vanille is what the archeologist would wear to a black tie dinner.

for swap/sale:

I also enjoy Lutens scents. Very warm, rich and loaded with spices. Usually just a hint of sweetness.

The latest Vitriol d'Oiellet is very different from the other offerings. It is spicy but very floral.

Except Fumerie Turque ( which I never sampled ) I would have to say I prefer Back to Black from your list. It's simply so passionate, it's that kind of fragrance that once you sniff it you feel it in your guts, know what I mean ?

Great tastes by the way.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.