Code of Conduct

Default Patou Pour Homme, I give up.

I cannot find Patou PH or Prive anywhere. Does the aftershave do the trick ? TPC has 1/2 ML for 10.00 USD which I find absurd. Wont do it. Ive heard that Patou PH has similarities to Mitsuko, would this be accurate ? I have not tried either.

Default Re: Patou Pour Homme, I give up.

I don't smell the similarities to Mitsouko. I have only smelled the EDT, but I'm sure the aftershave will give you an accurate idea of the scent. Patou PH and Prive are two completely different scents.

As a fellow fume head, PPH is worth trying, but isn't all that.

I want to do more sampling, but my conclusion at this point is that PPH (haven't tried Prive) has an accord that is also present in Versailles Pour Homme and Monogram, but then it goes in a different direction after a short time. The drydown isn't too far from Bijan for Men (the original, not 5 Star), but that one is muskier, woodier, and spicier. Instead, I'd say that Cellini the closest thing to it, leaving aside the first couple hours or so. Cellini has strong anise at first, but as that subsides, it becomes more like PPH, meaning that after 2-3 hours they are quite similar, but Cellini still has a hint of the anise, which PPH does not. However, with different skin chemistry they could seem more or less alike, of course. Cellini isn't quite as complex, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    I cannot find Patou PH or Prive anywhere. Does the aftershave do the trick ? TPC has 1/2 ML for 10.00 USD which I find absurd. Wont do it.
    I don't blame you.

AromiErotici

You should consider moving on to something that's actually available. PPH is terrific, but not worth all the **** and $$$$ associated with getting your hands on it.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    You should consider moving on to something that's actually available. PPH is terrific, but not worth all the **** and $$$$ associated with getting your hands on it.
    I agree completely. Keep a lookout for it in case it does present itself to you, but otherwise don't stress yourself over it.

There are many very fine older fragrances, discontinued, hard-to-find, or otherwise, which are more readily available. These fragrances are only going to get more difficult to find and more expensive to buy. Rather than concentrate on the elusive Patou Pour Homme, begin buying some of the others before they too become impossible to find or outrageously expensive.
    Last edited by noggs; 28th September 2011 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Ive heard that Patou PH has similarities to Mitsuko, would this be accurate ? I have not tried either.
    Forget PPH and get your nostrils on some Mitsouko. Pronto!

As good as PPH is, it will quite possibly disappoint you once you do smell it. It's very tough to live up to the hype.

I think PPH is well worth the hype... I've spent over 50k on perfumes and this one is my favorite along with Vintage Tabarome, Sous le vent and Guerlain's Vintage Vetiver.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Forget PPH and get your nostrils on some Mitsouko. Pronto!
    Mitsouko is not like Jean Patou at all, but is a marvelous frag that is easier to find, cheaper and is a marvelous frag!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by Jkidd View Post
    I think PPH is well worth the hype... I've spent over 50k on perfumes and this one is my favorite along with Vintage Tabarome, Sous le vent and Guerlain's Vintage Vetiver.
    Oh yes, it's one of the finest creations ever. Perfect balance, mastery of the old French style of complex perfumery "pour hommes" are rarely treated to. Doesn't mean you'll like it, it bears the mark of its period even in transcending it, but if any perfume ever lived up to maximum hype, it would be this - and Privée.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I bought a bottle of PPHP aftershave balm, it was only $30 and figured it would at least give me an idea of what Prive smells like. I think it has faded a little, but it does smell a good deal like Duc de Vervins or Tsar, nice but perhaps not worth the $500 that a 2oz bottle was going for on Ebay, it might still be there...would like to try the actual EDT someday though.