Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default L'Occitane Eau de Baux!!

oh my.. tried this yesterday and today.. really really amazing scent..... what do you guys think?

i was actually thinking i could layer it with DHI on days i am out for a longer period of time

Default Re: L'Occitane Eau de Baux!!

Good fragrance at a very reasonable price.
    Not sure if you're serious about the layering idea, but perhaps you could twin it with the EdB shower gel instead. I find it lasts a long while by itself though.

Sur la Plage

I am a big fan of it - a wonderful fragrance at a reasonable price.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I like it alot, as well. Definitely one of the best "finds" I can attribute to joining Basenotes....also, one of the few in my collection that has illicted multiple compliments.

Basenotes Plus

Superb incense/spice/vanilla combo that smells deceptively expensive. Warm and comforting, with excellent longevity, and acceptably unisex too IMO. Great product from an admirably good company - don't layer it, just enjoy it.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 28th September 2011 at 06:59 PM.

I am also looking forward to testing asap

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    JC said it first and I agree. This is a warm, incense with a hint of sweetness and the price can't be beat.

Good sillage and longevity for an EDT.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Wonderful fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Wonderful fragrance.
    I knew you two could agree on something non-Aramis related
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

this is one of those sleepers that you'll probably only hear about because you're on BN... aren't you glad you joined?
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I think Eau des Baux has reached Basenotes Sweetheart status by now, surely?

Only the real vanilla haters here dont like it and even they appreciate how good it is for the price.

Even Joe (petruccijc) likes it, and he is, how can I put this positively.... highly discerning...

It’s very nice. The drydown is a bit strong on the vanilla side. Layering with Kyoto f.ex. helps.

My girlfriends dad wears it and I must admit that while he smells great it's not really something I need to steal from him.
    No daddy issues I could take advantage of, either.

But I agree, it is a great scent at a reasonable price.
    Smellin good

I am on board with this one too. Thanks Basenotes

Niche quality at a designer price. The cypress in it smells so natural.
    I also pick up a nice, light smokiness .

This one is perfect for Fall too. Two thumbs up all the way on this one

How does this compare to Eau Duelle? Sorry to derail the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by subutex View Post
    oh my.. tried this yesterday and today.. really really amazing scent..... what do you guys think?

i was actually thinking i could layer it with DHI on days i am out for a longer period of time
    I'm a fan of EdB, too. Today I used the EdB deodorant and wore DHI and it worked very well, imo. Of course, the Dior Homme deo isn't any more expensive than EdB, but I have the EdB and not DH. Works well enough for now.
    Last edited by blacksun; 29th September 2011 at 01:09 AM.

Eau de Baux was my first full bottle purchase and I love it.
    I really like the Eau de Baux aftershave baum as well...and the EdB deoderant...and so on.
    Also have to say I've developed a real affection for L'Occitane EDT and it's aftershave baum, as well.
    IMO L'Occitane products are straight forward and very nice quality.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Hmm I've come across this one a bit lately. I'll have to test this one out - sounds intriguing.

Just bought a bottle a couple of days ago, a birthday present to myself. Damn it is good. I especially love the long, long drydown. Superior bang for the buck.

It's a great scent that's very warm. But I had to sell it. There's something about it (too sweet?) that just got to me. Sigh.

I do enjoy Eau de l'Occitan.

Get it!

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    i think eau des baux has reached basenotes sweetheart status by now, surely?

Only the real vanilla haters here dont like it and even they appreciate how good it is for the price.

Even joe (petruccijc) likes it, and he is, how can i put this positively.... Highly discerning...
    lol

Eau Des Baux = fantastico, the Labdanum EDP also.

I like the scent but the longevity is very poor. And personally I find it pricey for a non-perfume house fragrance.

F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C

Only the sillage could be better, is very quiet, but absolutely delicious

If I were to layer this with DHI, should I apply this first or DHI first?

I quite like the opening half hour, but found it a bit cloying after a while - the tonka I think? Remarkable longevity.

it's weird that it's longevity and sillage are getting mixed reviews. i have tried and realised that usually, musky and thick scents have longer life on fabrics while citruses tend to stay on skin longer. i wonder anyone shares the same opinion.

perhaps that is why so many frags have mixed reviews regarding longevity and sillage (of course weather and humidity plays a part).

Great fragrance, IMO L'Occitane products are one of the best " bang for buck". They also have a cedar fragrance (parfum) that I recommend.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

I agree. I once layered it with Fahrenheit and received some positive comments.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I really really want to try this

I just ordered it. Love it.

Great stuff, but do not mess with it! Why this everpresent urge to "layer"?

The shaving products and the deodorant stick are also nice companions.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    The shaving products and the deodorant stick are also nice companions.
    +1

I'll also endorse the Shower Gel as lovely; it smells so alike the EDT.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Great frag. reminds me of Tom Ford TV at the top.

Basenotes Plus

SOTD for me here in Northern California on a cool, crisp autumn day...perfect harmony. The fragrance is so warm, sensual - incense, woodsy, some vanilla that adds depth but is not cloying at all. Superb! I also wore the Eau des Baux deodorant, which is extremely high quality and have the shower gel - although I used a great sandalwood-infused soap bar in the shower along with other hair products. I find this to be the best offering from L'Occitane, although I have always loved their products and have products from their L'Occitan line (EDT & After Shave) and Cade (Shower Gel & Youth Concentrate). One of the few "mall apothecaries" you can walk into and truly breathe in and "sensualize the quality" through smell. Prices are never really lowered, but the quality speaks for itself. Personally, I find layering it to be totally unnecessary. The longevity was about 6 hours on me today...and I was out and active. This is a darling on Basenotes - and for good reason. Magic scent that captures "autumn in a bottle" and soothes you and those around you (as sillage is above average)...
    Last edited by ericrico; 5th March 2013 at 09:44 PM.

Lovely post and I couldn't agree more!

Welcome to basenotes Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    SOTD for me here in Northern California on a cool, crisp autumn day...perfect harmony. The fragrance is so warm, sensual - incense, woodsy, some vanilla that adds depth but is not cloying at all. Superb! I also wore the Eau des Baux deodorant, which is extremely high quality and have the shower gel - although I used a great sandalwood-infused soap bar in the shower along with other hair products. I find this to be the best offering from L'Occitane, although I have always loved their products and have products from their L'Occitan line (EDT & After Shave) and Cade (Shower Gel & Youth Concentrate). One of the few "mall apothecaries" you can walk into and truly breath in and sensualize the quality. Prices are never really lowered, but the quality speaks for itself. Personally, I find layering it to be totally unnecessary. The longevity was about 6 hours on me today...and I was out and active. This is a darling on Basenotes - and for good reason. Magic scent that captures "autumn in a bottle" and soothes you and those around you (as sillage is above average)...
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Lovely post and I couldn't agree more!

Welcome to Basenotes Eric.
    I concur! Welcome and please keep posting, Eric.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Love it! A sweet L'Occitane dream.

Good stuff!

I like it to, and it's not my style. There was another post about people comparing it favorably to a $200 cologne (Spirit Double Vanilla?). That seems like a good value to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog127 View Post
    I like it to, and it's not my style. There was another post about people comparing it favorably to a $200 cologne (Spirit Double Vanilla?). That seems like a good value to me!
    I've seen it compared to Tonka Imperiale from the same line as SDV, which is why I've been curious to try it, but unfortunately, I can't seem to find it anywhere around me in Japan.

Crap. Looks like I have any blind buy to gather funds for - at least it won't take much.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

There's a L'Occitane shop on my way, time to check it out perhaps.

This is one of my winter favorites. Very powerful and you can spray one shot of Diesel Zero Plus Masculine to up the festivities with an added blast of Xmas cinnamon.

Best deal on this is to Google search "beauty 20" which should bring a paid result link at the very top offering a 20% discount at Beauty.com. Then you can buy for $38.40 instead of $48.

Finally got to try this today too, along with LIDGE and Double Vanille...

Call me crazy but I like this one the best!!! I am picking up a bottle tomorrow

agreed. it is a nice frag. if you like vanilla scent of course. best bang for your buck. but still SDV > EdB for me

Agree with the accolades pronounced upon this great fragrance, although it hovers toward the edge of too sweet for me. Could be that I pulled the trigger about 15 times. Just kidding.

Just bought it because they had a free shipping and free gift promotion online...

off to the addiction clinic section for me....

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    My girlfriends dad wears it and I must admit that while he smells great it's not really something I need to steal from him.
    No daddy issues I could take advantage of, either.

But I agree, it is a great scent at a reasonable price.
    Could have imagined this scent now ^^

Fortunately I have a L'Occitane Boutique close by, and have tried all of their scents. They're all good and very reasonably priced!

Banned

It's EXCELLENT, but unfortunetely it makes me headache.

Didn't care for Tobacco Vanille but Eau De Baux smells really good. I am going to buy if they have a sale or maybe in the fall.

Blog Entries

I want this. Will definitely purchase once I'm in NYC.

So are there any other "under the radar" ridiculous bang for your buck fragrances like this??? They don't have to be similar, I just get really excited when I find an extremely high quality fragrance for $50

Basenotes Plus

This one is a winner and an excellent value.

great scent. on my to buy list when they have friends and family.

Basenotes Plus

Eau de Baux is wonderful - warm, cozy and transcendent. The Vetyver from L'Occitante is also a wonderful composition that includes a nice vetiver note (but don't think Guerlain or Givenchy)...as it has a nice earthy accord, but the composition is not a 'pure vetiver'.

Scent pyramid from L'Occitane website (which I feel is correct, with the leather a light touch...more of a light suede):

Top Note: Bergamot, Lemon
    Middle Note: Nutmeg, Gaiac wood
    Base Note: Vetyver, Cedar wood, leather

Another bottle, to keep the topic on track of the L'Occitane house is the spicy lavender of L'Occitan Eau de Toilette bottling. The after-shave balm is fantastic as well and the layering effect is beautiful. Rich and fragrant lavender (totally pure scent with fresh ground black pepper and a dash of nutmeg is the primary composition) on the top and heart with a warm base.

According to L'Occitane's website, the pyramid is:

Top Note: Lavender, Black pepper
    Middle Note: Nutmeg, Cinnamon
    Base Note: Tonka Bean, Musk

And, one final fragrance from Yves Rocher (since we are in the apothecary realm) is Comme Une Evidence Homme - a steal for around $32 with a great shower gel!

From Yves Rocher's website:

Olfactory family:Spicy, floral woody
    Top notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Cypress
    Heart notes: Floral rose facet, Black pepper, Nutmeg, Cardamom
    Base notes: Patchouli, Gaiac wood (Bulnesia sarmenti variety), Cedarwood

Fantastic, warm and inviting composition with excellent depth - excellent use of wood, spices and patchouli (along with a nice rose note in the heart that is ethereal - very unique).

Cheers,

ericrico
    Last edited by ericrico; 5th March 2013 at 09:49 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    eau de baux is wonderful - warm, cozy and transcendent. The vetyver from l'occitante is also a wonderful composition that includes a nice vetiver note (but don't think guerlain or givenchy)...as it is a nice accord, but not a pure vetiver.

Scent pyramid from l'occitane website (which i feel is correct, with the leather a light touch...more of a light suede):

Top note: Bergamot, lemon
    middle note: Nutmeg, gaiac wood
    base note: Vetyver, cedar wood, leather

another bottle, to keep the topic on track of the l'occitane house is the spicy lavender of l'occitan eau de toilette bottling. The after-shave balm is fantastic as well and the layering effect is beautiful. Rich and fragrant lavender (totally pure scent with fresh ground black pepper and a dash of nutmeg is the primary composition) on the top and heart with a warm base.

According to l'occitane's website, the pyramid is:

Top note: Lavender, black pepper
    middle note: Nutmeg, cinnamon
    base note: Tonka bean, musk

and, one final fragrance from yves rocher (since we are in the apothecary realm) is comme une evidence homme - a steal for around $32 with a great shower gel!

From yves rocher's website:

Olfactory family:spicy, floral woody
    top notes: Bergamot, mandarin, cypress
    heart notes: Floral rose facet, black pepper, nutmeg, cardamom
    base notes: Patchouli, gaiac wood (bulnesia sarmenti variety), cedarwood

fantastic, warm and inviting composition with excellent depth - excellent use of wood, spices and patchouli (along with a nice rose note in the heart that is ethereal - very unique).

Cheers,

ericrico
    thank you