Code of Conduct

Default 5 Choices...Tough to Choose!

It seems like every time I go to try a cologne (ie: put some on to see if it gives me a headache like some colognes do...typically the ones that don't have a citris note) I find a couple more that I really like. So, I'm going to stop smelling any other colognes so I can get one and move on

The 5 I've decided I like (in no particular order) are: 1) Azzaro Chrome, 2) Azzaro Chrome Sport, 3) Davidoff Cool Water, and then two from today 4) Chanel Platinum, and 5) Chanel Bleu (although I think the two that I was asked to try today were because they are both pretty expensive). If I was forced to eliminate one it would have to probably be the Bleu...smells a bit too mature (I'm 44 but teach 7th graders all day long so my maturity level isn't 44) for me.

I like certain notes about each one which is seeming to make it harder than it should be (or I ever thought it would be). Gotta get one soon because the wife it tired of sniffing me.

Can anyone comment on how long any of the above last, your likes, your dislikes, or other opinions you may have on any of the above colognes?

Thanks for any input.

TripleB

Default Re: 5 Choices...Tough to Choose!

Dang. I was actually going to go with the Bleu.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

I dont much like the Chrome series syntecness. Bleu does not last on me personally more than 3 hours, not a bad scent per say. I would get Platinum and forget the rest, but thats just me. I cant do the Chrome line.

My choice out of those would be Platinum Egoiste. Great Sillage/longevity. It's a bit cocky but that's what I like about it. Go easy on the trigger
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Out of the list, I would choose Cool Water, with Platinum Egoiste as my second choice. I've never really liked Chrome as it seems to have a rotten, overripe fruit smell to me.

But I think Cool Water would work perfectly (and certainly won't be offensive to anyone.). Also, I agree with you about Bleu. I'm 41, but tend to dress and wear younger fragrances, and to me, Bleu is just too "old" smelling. I hate that weird basenote in it (foul smelling mix of incense & fruit). I think a soapy or white musk base would have been much more modern.

Anyway, since you mentioned Chanel, I'd also try Allure Homme Sport regular & cologne editions. (I especially love the Cologne version in the clear bottle). Also, as you enjoy Cool Water, you might also consider buying a decant of Creed's Green Irish Tweed. It's pricey, but you can get splits/decants reasonably, and if you like CW's fresh fougere style, you would love GIT.

cool water for daytime or platinum for evenings or weekends.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    My choice out of those would be Platinum Egoiste. Great Sillage/longevity. It's a bit cocky but that's what I like about it. Go easy on the trigger
    I think I made a mistake...the guy sprayed Bleu on my arms and Platinum on my neck. Now all I smell is the Bleu. I've washed my arms three times and the hint of Bleu is still on it so I'm having a hard time actually smelling the Platinum. Strange you used the word 'cocky'...recently at work I've been under a bit of stress and have decided that I should do what's in the best interest of my students, instead of what my boss tells me...so I'm feeling a bit cocky right now. You don't think the Platinum would be too 'much' for a teacher teaching 12/13 year old for 7 hours straight?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    Out of the list, I would choose Cool Water, with Platinum Egoiste as my second choice. I've never really liked Chrome as it seems to have a rotten, overripe fruit smell to me.

But I think Cool Water would work perfectly (and certainly won't be offensive to anyone.). Also, I agree with you about Bleu. I'm 41, but tend to dress and wear younger fragrances, and to me, Bleu is just too "old" smelling. I hate that weird basenote in it (foul smelling mix of incense & fruit).
    Cool Water was my wife's top choice with Chrome second. I think the fruity smell, the fact that is smells like CK one after it's been on for a while, and it lasts forever is what has drawn me to the Chrome.

My dad wore Aramis for about as long as I can remember and something about the Bleu reminds me of Aramis....and I never really liked the smell of Aramis...loved my father though!!

Do you feel Cool Water lasts as long as Chrome?

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    cool water for daytime or platinum for evenings or weekends.
    I'd love to be able to afford both but being a teacher, and not having a raise for three years now, I think it's best I stick with just one cologne. So, if you had to go with just one, would you say Cool Water?

Thanks for everyone's input.

TripleB

Quote Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
    I'd love to be able to afford both but being a teacher, and not having a raise for three years now, I think it's best I stick with just one cologne. So, if you had to go with just one, would you say Cool Water?
    that´s why I put the separation, if you need something versatile for daytime: go for Coolwater.
    Because of its longevity and metallics accents, I see Platinum much more for special events.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Go for Encre Noire
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Chrome is OK stuff.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Of the 5 listed, I would go with Chanel Bleu or Platinum Egoiste. Cool Water is okay but doesn't compare with the other two.
    Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme by Versace
    Cool Water Game by Davidoff
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori
    Vettiveru by Commes Des Garçons
    Love & Luck by Ed Hardy
    Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

Coolwater then chrome in second.

Sound Scents

Cool Water
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

i would choose chrome because is more modern than cool water. Bulgari exterme or Bulgari Aqua should fit your expectations too and are also cheap.

Cool Water

I think they are all fine scents and have all so any three you choose are good ones IMO.

Platinum Egoiste
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by OlfactoryExperience View Post
    Cool Water is okay but doesn't compare with the other two.
    As far as longevity, smell, 'moderness', coolness factor, uniqueness, or class?

Thanks for everyone's in put.

TripleB

I have nothing constructive to post but I am suprised that you consider Bleu old smelling (especially for 44 yo IMO this is 20+ stuff) and Platinum Egoiste not (this is 30+ stuff IMO).

Personally for 44 yo teacher I would pick something different and more classy. Maybe Guerlain Homme L'Eau
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I can't comment on the two Azzaro fragrances as i've never tried them.

I've tried Bleu, and hated it, found it extremely boring.

I own Cool Water and Platinum Egoiste, and Cool Water is definitely the better of the two imo. People saying Cool Water for daytime but I actually think it's a great night scent also.

Great longevity for me as well.

Platinum Egoiste - one of my favorite fragrances.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    Personally for 44 yo teacher I would pick something different and more classy.
    Well, I am teaching 12 and 13 years so 'classy' probably isn't cool to them. I'm thinking something fresh, sporty, and long lasting for a 7th grade teacher in the US

TripleB

Quote Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
    Well, I am teaching 12 and 13 years so 'classy' probably isn't cool to them. I'm thinking something fresh, sporty, and long lasting for a 7th grade teacher in the US

TripleB
    If you can find Guerlain Homme L'Eau it please sample it. Its not THAT classy, but it smells more elegant than most of fresh fragrances that I tried without being too popular (as Chrome, Cool Water, Bleu). I think that anyone 18+ can pull it off because it is very modern scent.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Platinum Egoiste from your choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    +1.

My wife would be happy with your advice...she prefers the Cool Water over the Chrome and the Chrome over the Platinum. I guess I'll go by tomorrow and get some Cool Water sprayed on me!

TripleB

You found your way to Basenotes. Now find your way out of Walmart. None of the choices are bottle worthy. Take a few weeks and read more here on Basenotes. I'm sure you'll come up with 5 better choices.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    You found your way to Basenotes. Now find your way out of Walmart.
    LOL! Are you saying there aren't any good colognes to be found at Wal-mart?

TripleB

Platinum Egoïste