Code of Conduct

Default Black Afgano a good buy ?

I have a bottle of Black Afgano waiting for me at my local Barneys they just got some new bottles in... I am split on if i actually want to spend that much $$ for 30ml. Ive smelled the tester they had a while back and it was pretty darn good.

Can anyone who has it for a while tell me the smell sorta get 'blah' after a while. I know its not gonna be a everyday scent but trying to rationalize if the times i can wear it if its a buy or pass.

If i pass on it the SA will put it on the shelf for some other lucky fellow.

Default Re: Black Afgano a good buy ?

I adore anything dark/tobacco-y so when I got wind of this fragrance's release I hawked over it. Upon receiving my sample I was quite let down. I just revisited the review I left for it here on BN and my feelings haven't changed one bit. To me it smells very amateur and incomplete, and worst of all it lacks imagination and a certain kind of 'magic' I expect of my fragrances. I smell the individual notes but they aren't woven together to create something artistic or creative. It's simply the sum of its parts - no more, no less. I still have my 1.5ml sample vial I've had since its release, and that vial is still over half full. I'll wear Black Afgano on the rare occasion I'm feeling forgiving and because I so much want to like it -- but I can't. It's just completely uninteresting smelling to me.

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    It's just completely uninteresting smelling to me.
    Luckyscent had sent me a sample of this with a purchase I had made months ago and I felt the same way.

Agreed. Not many circumstances to wear it in I think.

I've felt pressured to purchase black afgano whenever I come by the rare bottle. Almost entirely due to the over-hype and rarity to be honest with you.

As far as the scent goes however, it is a rich, dark, woody oriental with dirty green notes, dry oriental notes such as coffee, tobacco and a slight impression of a non-sweet oud. Everything seems to be my thing, except that I did not really fall for it. Flouris beat me to it when he said it feels "incomplete". That is exactly my impression of it...it is all over the place. There's no focus or theme there. Perhaps the composition is complete but I felt that way because I wasn't hit by the "magical" part of it. And no, I'm not speaking of Cannabis, I did not expect that nor do I smell it. It is lacking something for me...

There are many similar fragrance that are dark and mysterious that I'd chose over this; Encre Noire, Fumerie Turque, Ambre Sultan, M7, kenzo jungle (I think)...etc. Maybe I should give it more testing, as I still have a great difficulty that this whole hype is due to successful marketing, but maybe it is.

Sur la Plage

I like it a lot - glad it is in my wardrobe.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Smelt it just once, and planning to get a bottle. The details do not really matter to me, i just love its smell and power.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Curious, how much is it at barneys?

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Smelt it just once, and planning to get a bottle. The details do not really matter to me, i just love its smell and power.
    My thoughts exactly. Next time it's back in stock at my usual places, this baby's getting bought.

Its probably worth buying for the scarcity issue alone. I haven't had the chance to sample yet but it certainly sounds interesting.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

I just ordered this online from newlondonpharmacy.com with their 20% off code 50YEARSFF. I hope they have it in stock.
    I tried this a year ago at Barneys and really liked it even though I'm not a huge Nasomatto fan. It isn't an everyday scent but definitely unique.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by PradaG View Post
    Curious, how much is it at barneys?

The price has recently gone up to 185.00 US for 30mL.

As far as where I'd where it, a rock concert or a strip bar maybe lol.
    Last edited by fsface; 29th September 2011 at 11:38 PM.

It's amazing.... buy it!!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I like it a lot - glad it is in my wardrobe.
    Glad you like it. I don't.

Nothing special. It is interesting but it has something that bothers my nose. It is hard to find ocassion to wear this fragrance. Maybe I would buy it if I'm the collector but I only buy fragrances that I intend to wear.

Pass

Basenotes Member

is this tobacco -ish fragrance? whoaaaa!!! sounds interesting!
    how's this compared with tobacco vanille? anyone?

I'm some what put off from trying this because of the hash note, I can't stand the smell of marijuana or anything like it so I don't know if I want to spend my money on something that has a good chance of me not liking it.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by ftUK View Post
    is this tobacco -ish fragrance? whoaaaa!!! sounds interesting!
    how's this compared with tobacco vanille? anyone?
    Nothing like it, IMO. I like TV plenty, but Black Afgano was just plain weird and not recommended, IMO. TV is sweeter, and much more controlled. They really smell nothing alike... Back to Black from By Kilian is a closer match to TV in the genre...
    Last edited by drseid; 12th April 2012 at 11:50 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Its good, but imo its not very wearable imo

i'm glad i didn't blind buy it. this is nothing like tobacco vanille, and doesn't smell anything like weed. On my skin the Oud is really loud, and even though there is some tobacco it is very hidden. I'm not a huge fan of Oud, although I do enjoy By Kilians take on oud.

The opening and middle blows are superb, but the ultra long dry down is not pleasant at all.

Worst fragrance i've ever tried - i wanted to vomit after a couple of hours.

Dark, resinous, syrupy, evil, intense, projection monster, long lasting.. a signature fragrance for me and a holy grail. One of two fragrances that i have back up bottles of (the other is Guerlain L'Instant Extreme.) Afgano needs to be skin tested a few times before you commit.
    Check out my new blog http://www.NotableScents.net

A triggerhappy SA in Antwerp nuked me with 4 sprays a few months ago.
    Silly guy! I choked... And so did half of the town.

I've yet to try this, but I'm pretty sure from the descriptions I'd like it. I'm not worried about having a time to use it, the size of the bottle works well for that aspect, and I'd be happy if I used it once a year or so. What bugs me though is it sells for the same price on their website as any other that they make...so why not here...you might as well order direct from them.

As for the hype, it actually turned me on to Nasomatto fragrances, and while I haven't tried Black Afgano yet, the rest that I've tried have been excellent. Really great house.

Basenotes Junkie

Ok, I don't know if this will be of any help at all, but I'll try. I tried Black Afgano about 1 week ago for the first time. I was at the Barney's in Las Vegas. I sprayed it on one arm and on of the Odin Frags on the other...I know, helpful huh because I can't quite remember which on it was, I want to say Odin no 7-Tanoke, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I wore them around all day and after about 2 hours the dry down of the Odin was almost exactly the same as the Black Afgano...I smelled both wrists the rest of the day and my wife couldn't even tell them apart, and the longevity was a good 8-10 hours with 6-8 of those hours smelling the same.

Moral of the story...I'd go with the Odin (again helpful because I can't remember exactly which one it was) because it's $110 for 100 ml and lasts as long and smells the same after a couple of hours. I like the Odin frag from start to finish, I'm just mentioning the dry down for comparison's sake. Sorry I can't remember exactly which Odin, just smell them all and spray them all over you and then search for the one that smells like Black Afgano..yeah right!

For what it's worth, I do like Black Afgano, I just like the Odin being that it's a lot cheaper for a whole lot more.

I found it rather unpleasant. It might suit those into Grunge.

Best of the Best... really one of the best, the weapon of a Scorpion!

...No! It's just an expensive joke...!

2012 thread.. great job )

Scrolling to the bottom I was hoping to see the OP resolving their own original question, but oh well..