Code of Conduct

Question Hammam Bouquet Extract

I am working on a project to recreate a version of vintage Hammam Bouquet Extract with an undisclosed perfumer. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried the old extract version of Hammam Bouquet and could comment on their experience. I plan to use high quality and natural ingredients where available.

Default Re: Hammam Bouquet Extract

Is this at all similar to their Beliheim (sp?) Bouquet?

Best wishes, Bokaba, on this endeavour!

Where did you find this vintage bottle, and how old do you reckon it is?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Let us know how it turns out.

That's not my bottle (wish it were). As far as I know it's the only known picture of the stuff. I'd suspect it is from the 1960s when Penhaligons only had a few employees even though it is still a very small company.

So far I am planning to use:

Bergamot, English Lavender
    Bulgarian Rose Absolute/Otto, Jasmine Absolute, Orris, Cedar, Coumarin
    Mysore Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Amber, Civet, Musk

Some of the ingredients are banned by IFRA and that's how I like it. IFRA should go back to where it came from. Once the scent is complete, I will announce it.

As I understand it, there is talk of Penhaligon's releasing an extrait of Hammam in the future again - well there WAS talk of it, as to whether they actually go ahead and do it is another matter!

Good luck in your endevours!
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

What are your obstacles in recreating it?

for swap/sale:

Is this a pure perfume (extrait) or an EDT? The label says "Eau de toilet".

oh, this is a juicy one. what is your hope with this, in terms of getting more from the current HB?

also, I sort of half wonder if the use of the word "extract" here is just nomenclature; is it just a different way of saying a floral distillation, and a word that was trimmed from subsequent labelling? as we use the terms today, extract and eau de toilet (sp) are two different things from a chemistry perspective, I thought.

whatever the case may be, as a Hammam fan, I'm curious to know what becomes of your project.

My goals with this project are to recreate Hammam Bouquet as close as possible to what it would have been like in the 19th Century. Over the years, the formula has been changed and frankly cheapened. Of course, certain materials are not available anymore, but I will do my best to get as close as possible. The current HB is good, but it doesn't have enough good quality rose ottos and is chock full of strident synthetics I wish to modify. I've read some snippets of conversions about vintage HB. It's a lt of hearsay, but a couple members (no longer active) had mentioned that the vintage was more animalic and had top notch rose ottos.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Some of the ingredients are banned by IFRA and that's how I like it. IFRA should go back to where it came from. Once the scent is complete, I will announce it.
    That's the spirit! Vive la Résistance!
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Yes indeed and I for one would just love to try the result .

Yes indeed and I for one would just love to try the result .

I agree!

My goals with this project are to recreate Hammam Bouquet as close as possible to what it would have been like in the 19th Century. Over the years, the formula has been changed and frankly cheapened. Of course, certain materials are not available anymore, but I will do my best to get as close as possible. The current HB is good, but it doesn't have enough good quality rose ottos and is chock full of strident synthetics I wish to modify. I've read some snippets of conversions about vintage HB. It's a lt of hearsay, but a couple members (no longer active) had mentioned that the vintage was more animalic and had top notch rose ottos.
    Hang tight, Bokaba. Someone has to stand firm for the classics. Sometimes modernism, ironically, means taking a step backwards, with horrid results.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

The main obstacle I believe is not ever having smelled the vintage version. I am relying on my research on Victorian and Edwardian period perfumery and ingredients and less than thorough second hand accounts from people who knew someone who smelled it. The other challenge is that some of the ingredients are either not available or ethical for use today (I don't personally have a problem with animal ingredients, but a lot of perfumers and firms do). I also don't want to produce a scent costing $1,000/oz because that wouldn't be any fun and I couldn't afford it myself--what a blunder to design a perfume and then not be able to afford it! We will have to compromise on some ingredients, but that is the nature of the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    What are your obstacles in recreating it?

The main obstacle I believe is not ever having smelled the vintage version. I am relying on my research on Victorian and Edwardian period perfumery and ingredients and less than thorough second hand accounts from people who knew someone who smelled it. The other challenge is that some of the ingredients are either not available or ethical for use today (I don't personally have a problem with animal ingredients, but a lot of perfumers and firms do). I also don't want to produce a scent costing $1,000/oz because that wouldn't be any fun and I couldn't afford it myself--what a blunder to design a perfume and then not be able to afford it! We will have to compromise on some ingredients, but that is the nature of the beast.
    Not having smelled it is not an obstacle IMO. If anything, it could be a blessing as you are not biased or swayed to re-creating it the way the Penhaligon's perfumers decided to create it.

Knowing where to compromise is the key .

for swap/sale:

Are your sources strictly English? Or do you mean Victorian and Edwardian time frame?

There is a lot of research on French perfumery from the 19th century. I started with "The Foul and the Fragrant," which examines the history of French perfumery.

I am researching mainly the Victorian-Edwardian time frame with an emphasis on English chemists (Dukes of Pall Mall, DR Harris, Floris, Penhaligons, etc) during that time period. I'm reading Scents of Yesterday which examines recipes, ingredients, techniques, and tastes in British, French, and German perfumery during the 18th-early 20th C.

You might also wish to read "Manuel des Dames," by Madame Elizabeth Celnart, published in 1833. It is in French and contains recipes for homemade fragrances, as well as homemade toiletries. Read the section, "Parfums pour la toilette." As you know, scents in this era were unisex.

Here is a link to the 1827 edition, the same year, I might add, that a certain dandy was married.

http://books.google.com.pe/books?id=...page&q&f=false
    Last edited by Primrose; 2nd October 2011 at 02:56 AM.

Please keep up us to date on this fantastic endeavor

Just came across this thread.

How is the project progressing?

I wore the extract years ago when Sheila Pickles owned the company.. It was just an amazing fragrance, so rich and powerful with no hint of powderiness at all.

I have an old catalogue of theirs, a scratch and sniff one, going back to 1995 and the extract was priced at £34 for 15ml. Quite a bargain.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove