Code of Conduct
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: Dior Homme Intense reformulated review.

Quote Originally Posted by corgan View Post
    They are quite different to me.
    What do you mean? The formulas are different yes, very much so. The colour of the collars doesn't necessarily indicate which formulation you have though, because they started selling the reformulated version after they changed the bottles. There was a very brief period when people were buying old formula in new bottles is what I'm saying.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    It's funny that despite all the panic about losing the old formulation of the fragrance and a new one coming out, at least on fragrantica the new formulation has better rating/liking than the original.
    For me it's cause the new formulation is more easy to the nose.

Does anyone have a list of the codes which define the manufactured date? Vintage and post formulation. Itd be of great help when searching.

Thanks!

I was on the phone recently with a sales rep from a store nearby,

they had 2 bottles listed as 1R01 - can anyone say for sure this is the original formula?

Get it!! I have 1R04 and 1R05 and they are magical. Mine are from April 2011. That one is from same or earlier.
    check at: checkcosmetics.net

where are you from, your name sounds swedish?!

They were in fact real!

I might have found a way to get ahold of more of these, I'll report back with my findings.
    Should I be able to grab more I'll pretty much sell for non-profit.

I have april 2011 bottle and it is nice and strong

cool
    still wondering if you're a swede or not.

mine came today it's july 2011 it was a blind buy so I haven't sniff the original but I like it

looking for a silver collar...hit me up if your looking to sell/swop

Quote Originally Posted by Hilaire View Post
    What do you mean? The formulas are different yes, very much so. The colour of the collars doesn't necessarily indicate which formulation you have though, because they started selling the reformulated version after they changed the bottles. There was a very brief period when people were buying old formula in new bottles is what I'm saying.
    This is what I have; 4 bottles of old formula in the new style bottle (only have one silver capped 50ml and they smell the same... because they are!)

I read this thread with great intetest! I hope i don't bore you by bumping this.

Having said that, i guess i was lucky to find and grab two 50 ML bottles of Dior Homme Intense batch number 0Y02 (November 2010) they are still in cellophane, and i'm not willing to open them yet to check the collar color (silver or black).

But the question is: Can i now be sure that they are the old formulation of DHI, based only to the batch code, verified at checkcosmetic.net ? As what i have learned from this thread the pre-May-2011 are vintage versions (and April-2011 is kind of tweaked version, a sort of transition version before the final reformulation.

I'd appreciate your comments...

By the way, today i carefully compared on my skin following versions:
    1. April 2011 1R01
    2. Some 2008 version, don't remember the batch code
    3. February 2012 version

All from various department stores' testers.

Number 2's cocoa and vanilla steps out much earlier and much stronger, richer than in number 1.
    Number 3, 100% surely the reformulation, really gives out the iris note much much longer, say hours. I can also smell somethin that's not in 1 and 2, i take it's the pear accord, that's in the middle notes.

My nose is not so skilled i could say more. Will update this later today,i'll let them stay on my skin 11 hours - then i can comment the longevity.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok i could not hold myself i opened the other of the two 0Y02's and yes it's definately vintage- It does have a black collar though. Wearing it right now. This is so great fragrance that it's a keeper.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

So I just got my bottle of Feb 11 version off of a seller on ebay in Bulgaria. I have had and tried many versions of this, and let me tell you, this smells even more potent then the Dec 2010 and Nov 09 versions of this. I don't know if they do something differently in Europe, or if I just got a killer bottle of this, but none the less I only paid 80.00 USD for this, including shipping and it was well worth every single penny of it. Couldn't be more happier with this purchase. Well worth the 3 weeks it took to get here. Going to go easy on the trigger on this one, as the prices of this as everyone knows are ridiculously insane! Now I need to find another of this one and I will be set for a long time

^^^Good stuff, my Jan-Feb 2011 bottles are really solid on longevity, 12+ hours

So, in your estimation, and strictly your opinion, is this close to vintage?

They are similar but the opening of the "original" I think is less sweeter, and more herbal that's just my opinion, while the Jan-Feb 2011 stuff is sweet from the get go, and then ultimately I get a sweet pear kick to it that just seals the deal for me. Some here would say this is like sweet clay dough and I agree, but I only get that effect with the newer stuff. I get crazy good longevity with it too, 12+ hours (considering I have crazy dry skin it's a miracle, like most things disappear fast on me). I may be in a minority on basenotes (though not on fragrantica where the new stuff has arguable the best rating on the site) where I think the reformulation>original

I don't get a pair note out of mine what so ever. To me, and only my opinion this smells identical to the Dec 2010 and Nov 2009 versions of this that I have sampled a lot. I think the pear note came much later like in Sept of 2011 or there abouts

^^^ I don't know but whatever "sweet fruitiness" I detect, and it does smell like what a pear smells like to me, I don't get at all with the vintage stuff. This reformulation is one of the tricky ones where even on the forums no one is entirely sure when the official change happened (some say as early as Jan-Feb 2011, some say April-May 2011, personally I have the black rings bottles from Jan-Feb 2011 and they are sweeter with a fruity note, and that's absent from my 10 ml ultra vintage sample I got from Cuddy (Fragrance Talk) quite a while back.

the vintage juice in my sample also is like much lighter color, than the juice in my bottles

The last month the vintage one was manufactured was April 2011.

To my nose, the vintage is MUCH better than the "tweaked" one (starting May 2011) and the reformulated one (starting September 2011)
    (Marcel Rochas)

Then for sure my Feb 11 juice is original/vintage. Whatever it is, I love it, but was just wondering. I have read what a lot of guys think of this one, with the reformulations and such. All of the samples that I have owned smell identical, but commented on how much stronger this Feb 11 smells, even in comparison to my Dec 11 and Nov 9 that I own. Starting to drive myself insane here. I think it is best for me to stay off of this page on the forum and enjoy what I have, no matter what it is. This stuff is very addicting, any way that one chooses to look at it. I have never been as obsessed with a scent as I am with this one. I have to some degree with my vintage bottles of Kouros I own, but this even out does that one!

Lol yeah man probably is best not to wonder too much on this stuff, I also love my Jan-Feb 2011 bottles and they give me lots of potency so it's good. Agree with the addiction factor on this, something about it is just crazy

I agree, it's addictive and a really wonderful fragrance.
    (Marcel Rochas)

I was at an afternoon lunch reception yesterday that started at 11a.m. I sprayed twice before I left my house at 9a.m. At about 3 p.m. yesterday, I was approached by two women who sat a table away from where I was sitting, and as they got close to me, they both said, Who is wearing that amazing cologne? "I thought it was him" as they pointed to me. Was also asked by several others at the party of both sexes what it was, and how they could get some? My response was, "Don't even ask" unless you have a lot of time. lol This one gets noticed for sure

I have the september 2012 batch and the longevity is actually pretty weak. I am getting about 7-8 max. Definitely not the 12+ that other people are experiencing...

Quote Originally Posted by chinamen_6 View Post
    I have the september 2012 batch and the longevity is actually pretty weak. I am getting about 7-8 max. Definitely not the 12+ that other people are experiencing...
    7-8 max is fine to me because I work 8 hours shift so....

The differences are not so drastic, i prefer the reformulation that lingers in this moment on my skin, more balanced, more refined with its better modulated iris, slightly less gourmandish, more masculine with its more notable virile woody/ambery aftertaste in the background. A great one.

It's been over a year since this thread was started and I just recently purchased a bottle of the newer (July 2011) version. Having just went through a 50 mL of the vintage I pretty much have a solid grasp on what it brings to the table. Still have a 100 mL bottle, which is only going to be worn on special occasions and mainly in the cooler couple of months. I actually think the newer version is better suited to warmer climates, because it isn't as dense. Quality wise, the vintage wins hands down. Not to say the newer version is junk, but it just doesn't have the same luxurious feel as the vintage. Overall, I'm very pleased with the newer version. It's versatile and true to the original. I'm a little let down though with the absence of the cocoa. I know there's something in there that makes it smell like cocoa (from a distance), but pear doesn't equal cocoa. Is the vintage worth the current market prices? God no! For what they're asking now you could buy Dior Homme, Dior Homme Sport, Dior Homme Intense (reform), and LIDGE with a few bucks left over.

I've been wearing DHI for several years now . I have the vintage (2010) version and just picked up a July 2012 bottle. The reformulation does have several tweaks especially in the mid notes where it's a bit sweeter than the vintage. When it comes to the drydown they are pretty darn close . The reformulation definitely retains that "DHI DNA" and Dior did very well with the new version . It's also more versatile than the original. I still get excellent longevity out of the reform (9-12 hours) but it has a bit less sillage than the original. Overall still a masterpiece in my book ...

You really have to look at WHY they HAD to change it, pretty sure it was legal reasons... they didn't own the previous formula.

I've got both, and more vintage on the way as soon as I stop travelling. Either is fine. It's my number 1 scent so that's my only reasoning for chasing the vintage, it's more so I know I have it rather than to wear. Honestly unless you spray on your wrist and just sit all day sniffing they are so close in there intended use. Spray on and get on with your day/night and enjoy. Creeds have bigger batch variations on a shop to shop basis.
    Top 5
    1. Gucci PH2
    2. Aventus
    3. Hermes Un Jardin Mditerrane
    4. Creed GIT
    5. Dior Homme/Intense

Current swap list found here ... http://tinyurl.com/9udvk8q

Default Dior Homme Intense Reformulation?

How is this one? I've never tried the original formulation but I think I would have hated the lipstick note anyway. I heard the reformulation replaces this note with a pear note. Is the reformulation still a winner?

Default Re: Dior Homme Intense Reformulation?

IMO all incarnations of this scent are very good. Give what's available a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO all incarnations of this scent are very good. Give what's available a chance.
    Longevity and projection good on the reforumulation?

They are for me.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

The differences between original and recent are close to nill.

They are basically the same fragrance.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Completely agree. The re-formulated version is very close to the original. Difference is negligible. I do not understand why certain persons make such a case out of the re-formulation. I have both and both are beautiful fragrances.

In my top five. Ignore reformulation cr4p for this smell.

I like the reformulation better.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Completely agree. The re-formulated version is very close to the original. Difference is negligible. I do not understand why certain persons make such a case out of the re-formulation. I have both and both are beautiful fragrances.
    Because of the elitist fragrance snobs who like the original more because it it harder to find.
    ::sigh::

Quote Originally Posted by LiteEmUpGood View Post
    Because of the elitist fragrance snobs who like the original more because it it harder to find.
    ::sigh::
    I don't care about rarity, but I've owned both bottles of the original (silver collar) and 1st reformulation (black collar/Jan. 2011), and to my nose -- though, they smell similar, the original is smoother and has better projection and longevity. I haven't tried the latest reformulation with pear note.

They are pretty darn close, no worries there!

I like the reformulation better, though the original is wonderful as well.

Don't ignore Dior Homme, either. Very nice scent.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Basically the same fragrance.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

I asked my sister, who just came back from her honeymoon in Thailand and Malaysia, to buy me Dior Homme Intense if she sees one at those duty free shops in the airport. And, she was able to buy me a small bottle, which is batch (2N01) January 2012.

So, it's my SOTD in the office, and I actually like it better than the original formulation -- mainly because it's not as loud and not as sweet. I was able to detect its pear note in the middle stage, which reminded me as a sweeter/fruitier version of the original Dior Homme EDT's ginger heart note. It's been 8 hours now and I can still consistently smell its incense-like sillage.

I have and enjoy my 2N01 as well that is a tester that I got from someone here on Basenotes.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

I agree. The iris/lipstick note is a bit subdued because there is more spice (maybe vetiver) in the new formulation. Thats what my nose picks up.

Yeah a lot of folks that actually give it a try like it better than the original, instead of just rumbling on about "it's terrible reformulated grr grr grr!!"

I have originals and reforms of DH DHI and DHS. I prefer the reforms on all of them.

Very interesting read! I'll be selling my bottle of 50ml (almost full) vintage DHI soon if anyone is interested. I'm in the UK but may post abroad

I have an August 2011 bottle. Smells great, very strong.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Quote Originally Posted by Christian M View Post
    I have an August 2011 bottle. Smells great, very strong.
    Is it worth buying a vintage bottle of Dior Homme Intense on eBay from 2011, when the new reformulation from 2012 is pretty much 95% similar.

No do not pay excessive prices for vintage, definitely not worth it given the minimal change. Some people even prefer the reformulation.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    No do not pay excessive prices for vintage, definitely not worth it given the minimal change. Some people even prefer the reformulation.
    You don't think it's worth $400 a bottle online? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tallstud39 View Post
    You don't think it's worth $400 a bottle online? LOL
    glad, to hear all from a lot of people on here that the new formulation is not bad, glad because i have always wanted to try DHI to see all the hype
    ANDERSON = GOAT

I just received my first bottle ever of DHI 5 days ago. I picked it up from Fragrancenet.com. I think I paid $85. Silver collar. The box is as described by barcode on page 9 of this thread. Batch code OT02 (on the box and bottle). According to checkcosmetic.net, date of manufacture was June 2010. In any event, regardless of when it was made, I may be anosmic to it because it is one of the weakest frags I have. I need to give it a few more full wearings but right now, I am underwhelmed. It currently ranks 10th overall in my small collection (17 in total, soon to be 18 when my Musc Ravageur arrives). I really want to like it but so far, I'm thinking the BN hype train might have hurt my initial impressions. Hopefully it will rebound.
    Last edited by Mtnbkr123; 15th April 2013 at 02:26 AM.

Finally got to smell this at the duty free recently. Im late to the hype on it, because I felt burned with some other stuff like LIDGE etc that I didn't think was that great from what I read on basenotes. But I actually enjoyed this quite a bit. I might pick it up on my way home actually. Its funny I didn't think it was very feminine either which I guess maybe is because its the reformulated version? I actually find the regular version more girly then this.

I find the citrus mixed with cocoa in LIDGE jarring. DHI is sweeter and richer. I don't think any of the versions of DHI are feminine - it's just that some people find the iris note a little make-up like, and it is more pronounced in DH.

Quote Originally Posted by seekritdude View Post
    Finally got to smell this at the duty free recently. Im late to the hype on it, because I felt burned with some other stuff like LIDGE etc that I didn't think was that great from what I read on basenotes. But I actually enjoyed this quite a bit. I might pick it up on my way home actually. Its funny I didn't think it was very feminine either which I guess maybe is because its the reformulated version? I actually find the regular version more girly then this.

Ya I dunno for me personally LIDGE once it starts to dry down it smells alright but the opening is just blah to me. Smells really old in a negative way to me. Gives me like a old grandpa or grandma at church kinda vibe honestly. Longevity and projection are good though so I guess if you like it, its good bang for your buck but its over hyped imho.

- - - Updated - - -

Hrmm tried it again today on my way home.. You know on second thought I may have to back track the opening is still a lil' to off putting I think for me to buy a full bottle of it when I wore it again. Unforuatnely the duty free at the DTW only sells the 3.4 so I couldnt justify buying it. Although for anyone that cares the price was like 80 so thats actually from what I see online a pretty good deal even for the reformulated version it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by seekritdude View Post
    Unforuatnely the duty free at the DTW only sells the 3.4 so I couldnt justify buying it. Although for anyone that cares the price was like 80 so thats actually from what I see online a pretty good deal even for the reformulated version it seems.
    LIDGE comes in one size only, 75ml.

I was talking about DHI I ment. I dont need to try LIDGE again I already still have a 10 ml decant of it that I never use lol. Sorry my bad if that wasnt clear. I was re commenting on my first post since I ment that I have been late to try DHI because I dont care for the original and I dont like LIDGE(or quite a number of other scents)that get hyped up on basenotes . So its taken me awhile to get to trying it. First time at duty free I liked it, got a lot of the cocoa powder. But when I tried it on the way home at the duty free got a lot of the playdo lipstickness girl purse sorta fee more so then the cocoa this time. So couldnt justify buying a bottle. Ill try it again im sure sometime...

I just bought a bottle from July 2011 black collar 1U02 batch code . Is that reformed or pre? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Mos; 13th January 2014 at 04:55 PM.
    Looking for YSL M7 (NON-REFORMED) and DIOR HOMME INTENSE (NON-REFORMED)

PM ME!

I just received my bottle of 3X01 (October 2013) and I compared it to my two January 2010 bottles (silver collar) and my August 2011 bottle. It smells great. It smells almost exactly like my vintage bottles (I couldn't tell the difference). The dry down and longevity seems to be the same as well (sprayed tissue paper with new one vs. 2010 one), 10 hours later. The only slight difference is the juice seems a tad lighter than any of my other bottles.