Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default How do Ross etc/Online Stores sell perfume at discounts?

Do they buy directly from Coty/Parlux etc? I thought that perfume was only supposed to be "sold at authorized retailers"? For example I just saw Bvlgari Jasmine Noir at $48 online at scentiments.com

How do they get them at such a low price? Does Bvlgari sell to them?

Default Re: How do Ross etc/Online Stores sell perfume at discounts?

The grey market. Excess stock sold to the middle east etc, then makes its way back to discount store in the West.
    DONNA

Basenotes Junkie

So why would anyone buy a Juicy Couture fragrance at Macy's or Nordstrom when they can buy the same thing at Target/Ross for a fraction of the cost? It doesn't make sense to have them sold at both places. Coty Inc. doesn't mind that it's products are being resold?

Because there are people out there where cost is not a concern and who can't be bothered hunting down the lower price, however illogical that might seem to some.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leociccone View Post
    So why would anyone buy a Juicy Couture fragrance at Macy's or Nordstrom when they can buy the same thing at Target/Ross for a fraction of the cost? It doesn't make sense to have them sold at both places. Coty Inc. doesn't mind that it's products are being resold?
    I would think for much the same reasons some folks will pay rack rate at hotel rooms and airline tickets, full MSRP for a vehicle and so on.
    There are three kinds of people in this world: those who understand math and those who don't (four out of three people surveyed agree with this).

Basenotes Junkie

So basically All department stores are ripoffs? I thought that they always said that the Manufacturer makes the price of the scent not the department store? For example YSL L'homme is $75 at Macy's, Nordstrom, Sephora etc. They aren't allowed to lower or raise the scent's price

Quote Originally Posted by leociccone View Post
    So basically All department stores are ripoffs? I thought that they always said that the Manufacturer makes the price of the scent not the department store? For example YSL L'homme is $75 at Macy's, Nordstrom, Sephora etc. They aren't allowed to lower or raise the scent's price
    Im not exactly sure how this works but, I believe anyone may resell a product at any price if it's already in your possession.
    The larger department stores however are authorised sellers of these brands and have some sort of agreement with them.

Basenotes Junkie

So then the fragrance stores in malls with all of the discontinued fragrances are totally legit? I always thought that it was a risk buying from them and that they were doing something illegal.

In general you will only find fakes online or in some real shady stores.. so I definitely wouldn't worry about that.
    It's very possible though that the fragrances in discount stores have been on the shelves for a lot longer, so if that's something which bothers you don't buy them discounted.

Basenotes Junkie

Yeah. I recently smelled Gres Cabotine at one of those shops. It smelled VILE compared to a bottle my aunt just bought from the by Gres boutique in Paris.