Code of Conduct

Default Sample of the Day - October 2011

Today's sample was for Sniff 'n Speak - Amber.

Annayake's Miyako

top: cardamon, cinnamon, frankincense
    mid: Hinoki wood, rose, jasmine, ylang ylang, patchouli, cedar, sandalwood
    base: musk, wild rose, benzoin, myrrh, AMBER

It was spicy incense to open, almost too much spice to feel well blended for me. The florals were off too, as I got a very sour note in there, most likely the ylang ylang bumping up against the dry wood. This didn't last long, but it was the death toll of the bell for this fragrance. Two difficult phases, and a fragrance is out the door for me. I don't like to suffer.
    The drydown was great though, all myrrh and benzoin with a hint of the incense still sticking around. Yes, some amber, but never prominent.

This is a very close wearing fragrance, fitting for the house, but alas, not for me.
    Last edited by cello; 1st October 2011 at 08:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sample of the Day - October 2011

Brief sampling of the last week or so. Still spending a lot of time with Tauer's Miriam, but in between trying bits and pieces of others:

Creed White Flowers: much nicer than I was expecting ( i.e. shrill or wimpy tuberose-jasmine ), in fact if En Passant didn't exist it would be worth recommending as a Lilac fragrance. However, En Passant does exist and White Flowers' drydown loses its lilac cool and becomes a little laundry-musky.

Kilian Rose Oud. I smelled this years ago now and found it so lacking in oud that it annoyed me and never got a second sniff. I now appreciate what a really nice and well-composed rose fragrance it is, almost chocolate-y in feel without any actual chocolate note.

Strange Invisible Perfumes Tropical Vial. Vial is very unfortunate in any fragrance name meant to be spoken. The perfume is slightly fruity, slightly minty, with that grain-y feel I've come to expect from all-natural florals. Me and all naturals just don't get along, it seems.

Keiko Mecheri's Tuberose should rock my socks off starting as it does as a hybrid between Tubereuse Criminelle and Poison, but it doesn't. This fades incredibly quickly to a synthetic-soapy musk, then disappears entirely an hour or so later. Odd.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Cello for starting the new thread...here we go...

34 boulevard Saint Germain Diptyque
    An ambitious composition made to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the house and aimed to reproduce the smell you get by entering a Diptyque boutique. A quite imponent note list gives birth to a complex blend of florals and woods driven by a remarkable fig-leaf note. Spices (mainly cardamom and cinnamon) float around recalling other classic compositions from this influential french house.

Maybe a bit non-descript and cacophonic yet somehow successful.

Mister Marvelous Byredo
    Woody-citrus. We've seen this iteration too many times. It opens with tart-crispy green citruses and turns to a strong cedarwood base joined by sweet amber. Not completely bad but smells exactly like a crude version of Cale's Assolo (and of a bunch of other fragrances of the past 20 years). Offensively overpriced.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Calvin Klein Forbidden Euphoria This is a fresher, more clean and more upbeat version of Euphoria. It smells like a rip-off of Britney Spears' Midnight Fantasy to me. I love that scent! So I guess it's better than a stinker/boring scent like Calvin Klein Beauty.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm keeping on exploring the Slumberhouse's offering and today I finally got to test their ORE

Overall it striked me as a sort of "balsamic chocolate" (but not like an "After Eight" LOL). Ore opens dry and rough with a desweetened cacao note. Dark woods remarks their presence right away while a boozy accord concours in adding some warmness during the middle phase and the drydown. The typical balsamic effect already experienced in other compositions of the house (Jeke, Vikt, Grev) is toned down but still pretty remarkable and, IMO, works as a sort of signature.

This bizarre concoction between edible and inedible elements makes of Ore one of the most original takes on the gourmandic theme. Intense but barely sweet, mysterious, dark and dangerously sexy. Good longevity and projection. Very nice.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've given a couple of days to L'Artisan Parfumeur Mon Numero 10, the American release from their numbered series.

It's an interesting one (Duchoufour is clearly in his artsy weird mode), but quite wearable. It kicked off, on me, with woods. It's the dusty antique rosewood of Passage d'Enfer blended with the extremely dry oaky sawdust of Straight To Heaven. This dusty wood smell plays out over a background that's rather difficult to describe. I'd call it waxy, though everyone else online is calling it leather. If you can remember very old hairspray (not aerosol, but the really old kind you'd pump - it had a very specific chemical smell), add a teaspoon of that wine vinegar note that Duchoufour uses a lot, and mix with a pleasantly sweet carnation/clove gum smell. Then, encase all of that in old, dusky wax with a drop of patchouli, that's what I'm smelling the woods playing around over. Others have called 10 a cola scent, which I can understand. I think it's what I'm smelling as clovey gum mixing with the sweet wax, but it doesn't even come close to Bang levels of cola smell.

I've found 10 to be fairly wearable, unlike Passage d'Enfer's hyper-realistic Chinatown antique shop or Sartorial's weirdly "alive" chemical buzz, though they are clearly it's close cousins, in terms of artistry and spirit. That clove/carnation chewing gum smell was the cornerstone of CDG's Red Series, so there's a definite connection there, too.

On a little sniffing trip with friends last Sunday (hi Joe!), we smelled quite a few interesting things. I tried on Diptyque Eau Mage, which I had really loved on paper the last time I'd smelled it. Sadly, on me it was pretty dull, some jagged bursts of citrus and woods entombed in lavender over a too-quiet base of creamy nothing.

Sisley Eau d'Ikar was promising, an especially herbal and green lemony cologne smell that dried to a creamy, almost peppery undercurrent of incense.

The new Molton Brown exclusives were interesting. Iunu was a Bang clone, but with more striking incense instead of Bang's relentless Iso E Super (though, to be fair, Bang owes a huge debt to Molton Brown's earlier pepper fragrance, so I suppose the clear copying can be chalked up to payback). Apuldre was a dense, difficult mix of dark greens and leather and weird sweet elements I couldn't place. One that I need to try for a day and really unravel. Rogart, despite a description of itself as "bracing and rugged" smelled to me like lipstick melting in a hot leather purse (which is better than it sounds).

The new Arquist collection at Barneys was fine, but nothing blew me away. The crowd favorite was definitely Anima Dulcis, a caramelized butterscotch amber with animalic undertones. I preferred L'Etrog, which smelled like a simple but nice citrus. The other three were different takes on perfumey white floral perfumes. I remember one making me sneeze, but that's about it.

The three new Bond No 9's were also out. I Love NY for Him was a dreadful "woody amber" hot fruity chlorine smell a'la Bleu de Chanel, but built on Bond's favorite rhubarb note. I Love NY for Her was equally dreadful - like cheap 90's strawberry-scented shampoo. Shockingly, I Love NY for All is probably the most interesting thing Bond has put out in years, a creamy gourmand of chocolate patchouli and coffee under a thick, sticky layer of sweetened condensed milk - certainly not what I'd expect from Bond and easily enough to excuse it's intentionally all-too-common brother and sister.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yesterday I found myself in the city again, so I couldn't resist a little sniff. Lo and behold, our local store Gumps had just picked up the Lubin line, so I was quite excited to try them. I ended up spraying on Itasca.

Itasca had my name written all over it, with a shot of smoky black pepper over piney celery. It's part of Lubin's Le Vetiver offshoot group (notice the Le Vetiver name on the bottle), so it dried down to a nice vetiver in the woodsy base. Honestly, I almost always love this sort of scent and Itasca was no exception. If the idea of a modernized iso e super-drenched peppery version of Yatagan appeals to you, Itasca would probably be a good fit.

As for the other Lubins, I only sniffed them on paper. Black Jade was interesting. Pink peppercorn is one of the more over-used notes in perfumes now, being the creamy sweet backbone to hundreds of middle-of-the-road fruity florals. Black Jade used pink peppercorn, but in a non-fruity way, so it was a curious study, but not anything that blew me away. Gin Fizz smelled like dryer sheets mixed with warm clean laundry, which is a mix that I actually kind of enjoy, but I get the feeling that fans of the original old Gin Fizz must think this re-release is simply an abomination. Inedite was a peachy pink peppercorn fruity floral that could pass for any current feminine Macys release and the biggest dud of the line. Bluff was the other Le Vetiver offshoot, a nice citrus wood mix that I need to give more attention to. But Figaro was the other most interesting one. It's a harshly masculine wood scent more so than a fig perfume, but built over a creamy sappy vegetal milky smell that implies the smell of a fig tree. Other than Itasca, this is the one I really have to give a real try to.

All in all, I was very impressed with the Lubins. Many niche lines that I smell just don't really strike me as adding anything new and different or creative to what's already out there (seriously, the world doesn't need another lipstick iris, people), but there were a significant number of the Lubins that really didn't smell like what I've smelled before, which is, to me, the sign of a house worth exploring. Plus, it gives me a great excuse to re-try Idole...

On my other arm, I gave a full wearing to the new Sisley Eau d'Ikar.

I liked Eau d'Ikar, but it didn't blow me away. It's theoretically built on a mastic note. Mastic isn't a smell I'm familiar with, so all I can do is describe what I smelled. First, it was lemony. Not like that Lemon Pledge bergamot lemon, but a pleasant tart lemon. It had a green, leafy undercurrent, too, which was kind of herbal, but not in the way that so many lemony citrus colognes have that dark herbal undertone - instead, the green in Eau d'Ikar came off as almost refreshing or bright.

The main thing that kept Eau d'Ikar from smelling like a standard eau de cologne was that, while traditional eaus are generally built on a thin, flowery bone structure with touches of wood, Ikar was built on a foundation of creamy, rich incense. This gave Ikar a richness that's rare in a citrusy fragrance. It was very linear on me - honestly, the fact that I kept waiting for it to do something else was my only real complaint.

If you like scents that combine citrus with greens and creamy elements (Fresh's Cannabis Santal or Hanae Mori's HM for Men come to mind as examples), but you don't want them to eventually dry down to smell like cupcakes, Eau d'Ikar may be grail material.

As a side note, the picture doesn't do the bottle justice - It's rather nice as an art piece. Actually, so were the Lubin bottles, so I guess that's me theme for today...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ikar sounds lovely rogalal, & it sounds like something my BF might like; he is hard to please scent-wise! l'm going to have to seek this one out for him to try. Thanks for the review!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Last night, I wore Farmacia S.S. Annunziata Ybris from a dab vial.
    Notes: Amaretto, lime, grape seed, tea, oakmoss, benzoin and iris

These notes are what interested me. They sound quite different, and I was curious to see what this brewed up

Well, it is a tea fragrance for sure. The opening did have a liqueur smell to it, with an orange tent or other unidentifiable fruit. But then the tea appeared, and it is a nice, dark brew. I didn't identify much change after this, possibly a little oakmoss/iris mix adding some substance to the tea, but they were background additives.

OK for a tea fragrance, but note the unique and interesting fragrance that the notes had promised.

Anybody sniffing anything fun? I've been going back through samples and bottles that I am already familiar with, but don't want this thread to drift off too far.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Lanvin Eclat D' Arpage

So light and fresh, 4 star fragrance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Anybody sniffing anything fun? I've been going back through samples and bottles that I am already familiar with, but don't want this thread to drift off too far.
    l've been doing the same cello, but don't worry, l still have some un-tried samples that l'll be reporting on here as & when l have some free time to devote to them!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I tried a lot of fragrances last week in Dubai with fellow buddy hedonist222 (hey guurrrl :P)

First off - Diptyque

1. Eau Mage: Really liked this from the get go. It instantly reminded me of Portrait of a Lady but with mandarin instead of raspberry. It also has a subtle liquer-like rose lingering subtly in the background, while the dry (DRY!) patchouli and non-BO-ish cumin gave it a nice dirty-clean edge; all this resting on a salty base of ambergris. Hedonist did not get the connection with PoaL (which he's very familiar with). I was wondering if anyone got that connection too. Sillage/longevity is abysmal. I mean crap to say the least. Even on fabric, and sprayed heavily. I would go through a 50ml bottle in a week!

2. The limited edition cologne (sorry too lazy to google): Nice but generic minty cologne. Nothing earth shattering but lovely to freshen up with or spray on linens.

3.The Olivia Giacobetti candle: bought this on the spot. It really, really resembles Passage d'Enfer but without the lillies note and a dryer texture. Amazing through!

Be back soon with more

I also tried:

Miller Harris

La Fumee: Hedonist told me prior of me smelling it that it smelt like an Amouage. And it did. Dia Man more or less. Pointless if you already have Dia but good nonetheless. Need to smell again.
    La Pluie: I got an irisy, dewey jasmine floral with hints of lily of the valley. Very pretty and well executed.

Tom Ford

Violet Blonde: instantly reminded me of VW's Boudoir but with the nauseating (to some) "sheets after sex" note turned down, greener, less powdery and oddly (to me) more rose than violet. Very, very intriguing. By far the best of the recent TF releases.
    Santal Blush: a tenacious creamy sandalwood that while is extremely well done, smelt utterly boring.
    Jasmine Rouge: boring jasmine shampoo. Gone in 2 hours. Odd.

Thanks, Scent! What is the O. Giacobetti candle's name? I've been on a candle kick lately, and that one sounds interesting.

Cello the candle is called the Curiosities candle. It really is amazing. You should also check out Bois Cire (boutique exclusive). It is by far the most creative Diptyque candle. It smells like a painter's studio; hardwood floors, paint thinner and cigarettes stubs!

Post Thanks / Like

Last weekend I tried:

Dior Mitzah, unheavy but substantial amber. What sets this fragrance appart from the multitude of ambers in the market is the incense note. It is not a churchy incense, but my cousin's friend remarked that it smelled like "burning copal incense". This note is there from start to finish and it is very distinctive. I focused so much on it that did not even pay attention to the amber until the second wearing. This is a beauty and I could easily replace all my ambers with this one (except for Amber Narguile). A few weeks ago I noticed that the box containig my butterfly bottle of Ambre Fetiche was tilted in the closet and I lost about two thirds of the juice. No wonder my husband kept saying that the closet stinks . I had not even noticed. I would not mind this loss if I had a bottle of Mitzah. I found the following definition of copal incense: "Copal resin incense comes from the sturdy Bursera tree in the regions of southern Mexico. The resin is formed when the tree is cut and a thick milky liquid seeps out. It is dark in colour, very black, but changes colour as it dries. The Mayan Indians hold copal as very sacred and have used it in ceremonies since before the invasion of the Spanish conquests to the Americas."

The other Dior that impressed me (of the ones I had not smelled) was Granville, it is a very dry, salty, herbaceous perfume. The Dior boutique did not have any samples. The SA ran out to get two sprayers from another store. She came back and was making me a sample of Granville, but she did not know that you just snap the top, she was trying to screw it in and suddenly it flew off her hands onto the floor...no sample for me.

I also smelled the new Bond No. 9 I love NY for all. It smelled to me like Harlem with a big dose of hazelnut and cream. Not bad if you are big on gourmands.

The perfume that impressed me the most was Vol de Nuit extrait. I want!!!!!
    Evenstar

Ha! I'd love your "stinky" closet But I'm sorry about your Ambre Fetiche loss. Thanks for those sniff reports. The Mizah sounds interesting. I'm feeling a big amberfest sampling coming, as I've many to sample.

Today I sampled L'Artisan Mon Numero #10 from a sample a friend made for me from a bottle he purchased at Barneys in New York.
    Like it a lot and will add it to my collection when I am in New York.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

arwen-elf, Mitzah sounds lovely! Thanks for the review. l have not seen this one anywhere, is it a new or limited release?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    arwen-elf, Mitzah sounds lovely! Thanks for the review. l have not seen this one anywhere, is it a new or limited release?
    Mitzah is part of the Dior La Collection only to be found at the Dior boutiques. I know The Perfume Court has samples. I had family from out of town last weekend and we found ourselves close to a Dior boutique. They had the ten perfumes that include Eau Noire, Boise d'Argent and Ambre Nuit, which were released earlier (sadly Cologne Blanche was discontinued). The newest one is Patchouli Imperial and I highly recommend that one too. The others are Mitzah, Lether Oud, New Look 1947, Cologne Royal, Granville, and Vetiver. I had not paid any attention to the new releases. I tend to get overwhelmed when companies release many perfumes at a time. If I were to buy one, it would be difficult to chose between Mitzah and Patchouli Imperial. On another note, they have different sizes. The least expensive bottle is $150.00.
    Evenstar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Mitzah is part of the Dior La Collection only to be found at the Dior boutiques. I know The Perfume Court has samples. I had family from out of town last weekend and we found ourselves close to a Dior boutique. They had the ten perfumes that include Eau Noire, Boise d'Argent and Ambre Nuit, which were released earlier (sadly Cologne Blanche was discontinued). The newest one is Patchouli Imperial and I highly recommend that one too. The others are Mitzah, Lether Oud, New Look 1947, Cologne Royal, Granville, and Vetiver. I had not paid any attention to the new releases. I tend to get overwhelmed when companies release many perfumes at a time. If I were to buy one, it would be difficult to chose between Mitzah and Patchouli Imperial. On another note, they have different sizes. The least expensive bottle is $150.00.
    Thanks for the info arwen, l will have to look into these!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Scent, it's so good to have you back. I'm also in awe of the Diptyque Curiosities candle. Did you ever sniff Costes again? I recently wore it again and was struck how much it smelled like the Malle Saint des Saints candle. As a completely inappropriate side note, I love how you look so proper and traditional in your pics with Kilian, while you're so dishy and fun in writing - if you ever make it to San Francisco, we have got to hang out...

Anyway, today was the Guerlain trunk event in SF, so a few of us got together and sniffed. Some quick notes on new things around town. The new food-themed Muglers were interesting. The A*Men with pepper was kind of messy, but seemed curiously interesting (which is pretty much what I think of the original A*men, so that's no surprise). Angel with Chocolate was kind of redundant, while Alien with Caramel was nice. Womanity with Fig Chutney was nice, but not that different from the original, just fruitier and with a cayenne pepper undertone.

Jared let us sniff Tom Ford's Lavender Palm, which was pretty much straight up lavender with some lemony brightness. While Jared insists we're wrong, a couple of us thought it went aquatic in the drydown. I'll give it a real wearing before I judge...

As a side note, I love that calling a scent "Bleu de Chanel" has become the official San Francisco insult for saying that something has unwanted or unexpected marine "woody amber" in it. To use it in a sentence, "The new Bond No 9 for men had a nice rhubarb note, but then it went all Blue de Chanel. Yuck!" Between us and all our SA's, Bleu has largely been treated as a cruel joke. We're kind of snobby, but I think we must be the most fun group of Basenoters going right now, just in terms of getting together and having a good time sniffing and comparing notes. We're spoiled, but we appreciate it.

All that being said, my sample of the day today was pretty epic, the 2011 version of L'Abeille de Guerlain.

For the record, the picture that's been making the rounds of the bee with the clear wings and the gold liquid was the 2010 version, which focused on honeysuckle. This year's bee has gold wings and the perfume is focused on jasmine. They also had a picture of the 2012 version, which will have silver wings and blue juice, though I must have missed when they said what note it would be based on.

My best guess is that L'Abeille is an EDP. I was expecting an extrait, but it's not behaving like one on my skin. On me, it was basically a very dirty floral. It had a big loud 80's white floral accord that reminded me of Pleasures, but slathered with jasmine on top and a bit of tuberose to add to its "bigness". It was VERY indolic, but the clever thing was the way they matched the indoles with the animalic elements. First, there was a plasticky waxy note, bordering on honey. It's a note I'm mostly familiar with from old Carons, but it was clever the way the weird wax smell fused with the indoles. Then, under the whole thing was a rich creamy pool of civet.

In the top, the mix of funks was very much a prominent player right alongside the florals, though with time the florals won out. By the base, I'm left with very waxy carnation (another smell that reminds me of classic Carons more than Guerlain), which is quite nice, but which has a distinct animalic undertone. A basenoter who shall remain nameless said it smelled like wet dog, which is actually pretty apt, but it's a wet dog straight from a bath, not gross but still very much an animal smell. With waxy carnation on top.

All in all, I'm impressed by the way L'Abeille rode the line between skanky and pretty, pushing the boundaries with both but maintaining a balance. I also like the way it is resolutely NOT dumbed down and expects its wearer to be informed of classic perfumes (seriously, on a mall shelf, this would be terrifying to most people). It's very clearly a perfume for very serious perfume aficionados, which I really think is cool.

ArwenElf, your mission is now official - You need to try this on at the LA Guerlain event and report back. I'm really curious how it works on you...
    Last edited by rogalal; 30th October 2011 at 06:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely will... I can't wait. I am going on November 15 (over two weeks of waiting, arghh!). Was there a tester of London?
    Evenstar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They didn't have London (I asked, of course, but it won't be out until next year). Same with the Russian theater perfume...

We always seem to smell things so differently, I'm really curious what you think.

rogalal: Thanks! During my time "away", your reviews along with everyone's, have really kept me company and interested in fragrance! I'm glad your glad to have me back I told Kilian about your meeting with him in San Francisco (or was it BayKat in Dallas?). Anyways, it was really a fun experience and he was happy to see me connected with the online perfume world!

The Curiosities candle is amazing; very dry and dusty incense and "white". Have you smelt the Bois Cire candle? That one is so surreal, so strange, so compelling. If they ever made this into a fragrance, my collection would be in danger of being neglected! I find it similar to CB M4 A Room with a View but with a waxed hard-wood floor accord. My favorite Diptyque candle by far!

I find Costes very, very similar to Incense Oud; lots of cardamom and a bit of saffron, while I found Saint des Saints very similar to Serge Noire, which I detest because ALL I get in it in cloves, cloves and more cloves. Although I haven't smelt it lit up.

Hopefully next summer or who knows, we have GOT to meet up with all of you guys! Or maybe we could meet halfway in London or Paris

Fabulous right up for the L'Aibelle fragrance. I smelt it (the new one) and it smelt similar to Flora Nymphea. Although I didn't give it a full wearing or anything, just a brief impression. Mr.reasonable already stated his impression and how the two differ and the way they are similar. You have me drooling at a "rich, pool of civet" LOL!

I tried London and found it dull and uninspired. I don't even remember what it smelt like so that says quite a bit about it. I think it was a fougere, slightly dandified and ... umm.. that's about it. My friend on the other hand who smelt London IN London LOL, thought it smelt like a less powdery Lipstick Rose! Either I'm insane or he is!

Post Thanks / Like

While traveling, I tried "the Russian theater" fragrance -- Le Bolshoy, supposedly dedicated to the reopening of the famous opera and ballet stage in Moscow after the reconstruction. Well, it was a disappointment: insipid mushy white florals (jasmine, mostly sambac) swimming in the bowl of raspberry water. I was waiting for the announced ylang ylang to kick in, but the whole thing stopped developing before that. Surely targeted for younger girls with rich fat purses or sugar daddies, pity it is a LE of 400.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    While traveling, I tried "the Russian theater" fragrance -- Le Bolshoy, supposedly dedicated to the reopening of the famous opera and ballet stage in Moscow after the reconstruction. Well, it was a disappointment: insipid mushy white florals (jasmine, mostly sambac) swimming in the bowl of raspberry water. I was waiting for the announced ylang ylang to kick in, but the whole thing stopped developing before that. Surely targeted for younger girls with rich fat purses or sugar daddies, pity it is a LE of 400.
    LOOOL @"younger girls with rich fat purses or sugar daddies"! That really is a shame as I was expecting something resinous and ummm...Guerlain-like. Your experience reminds me of the new By Kilian Sweet Redemption. The ad copy made it sound resinous and mysterious...what I got was BK Love more or less.