Code of Conduct
    Valley Springs, CA (Gold miner's country)

Default Creed fakes and the San Francisco Family Vacation.

Hi All,

A while back I bought two fragrances from ebay, both from the House of Creed. One was Love in White and the other Royal Water. My wife was not impressed with either and I began to think that I might have been duped by unscrupulous sellers.

Fast forward a month and the family and I were off to San Francisco, CA, for a working vacation. Being new to fragrances and the whole upper echelon of niche perfumes, I realized this was my chance to compare apples to apples.

Union Square in San Francisco is a bustling mega-tropolis to consumerism and a must see to visitors and shoppers alike. The big chain stores are there, Macy's, Forever 21, and the like, as well as the upmarket high end stores such as Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue. The latter stores are not as exclusive as I feared they might be to a family of hillbillies, such as my family is.

My intention was to go inside Saks and Marcus and ask about the Creed perfumes, with the hope of sampling the real things. I first went to Saks and met a very nice gentleman named, Jacob Shapiro. I kindly asked to sample a few Creed perfumes and he very gently told me that Saks does not carry Creed perfumes and that I would need to go to Neiman Marcus in order to sample the Creed perfumes.

I patiently told Jacob my “buyer beware” story and he shook his head in a very knowing way. I also told him I was very new to wearing fragrances and had quite a bit to learn. I mentioned that I had recently joined an online website called “basenotes” and that it seemed to be an excellent resource for the new users, as well as the old pros that are into wearing perfumes.

Jacob's smile broadened at the mention of “basenotes” and immediately shared that “he too” was a member of the basenotes community. After a little exchange of information, he informed me that he worked exclusively for Tom Ford and that he was the in store representative for the brand. He let my wife and I sniff anything we desired, Clive Christian, Tom Ford, Bond No. 9 and then gave us very generous samples of the Tom Ford's we were most interested in.

I could not make up my mind whether I liked Tobacco Vanille or Noir de Noir better. He also gave us carded samples of a few others, shook our hands and wished us well in our search for knowledge and vindication.

With smiles on our faces and running against closing time, my wife and I headed over to Neiman Marcus and met Trisha Mendiola, the Creed in store representative. I am sure the only thing that Trisha did not know about the House of Creed was what the name of the next heir to be born, who would inherit the Creed brand , would be. Other than that, her knowledge was vast and historical.

She generously and patiently listened to my sad tale and smiled knowingly. She offered us comfort in letting us sample the in store Creed's of the same names I had bought from ebay. I was certain then that I had been duped. The freshness and the oils were quite lively and real. The longevity of the perfumes in store,were better than what I had purchased from ebay.

Trisha also had a few very exclusive reserve Creed fragrances she kept under the counter that she let us sniff and I am sure she did not share these with just any customers (sorry if I let the cat out of the bag Trisha). She also was very generous in giving us Creed samples to take home and wished us the best in our future purchases. I still do not know if Trisha is a member of basenotes, as that never came up, but I have a feeling about that.

The next day was our forth and final day in San Francisco and I still had not purchased myself anything to take home from our trip. I did mention that I found the Tom Ford Noir de Noir infatuating and wished that I had some. My wife literally took me by the hand and marched me back to Union Square, back to Saks Fifth Avenue and told me to buy the perfume that I desired.

Jacob was not there, another young man was, but I did mention that Jacob was the reason I had come back to buy Tom Ford's Noir de Noir EDP and purchased the 100ml spray bottle.

All in all it was fun and exciting to meet very kind people working for the big perfume companies and it was a real pleasant experience. They treated us “hillbillies” like we were the only people standing in the store (and we sort of were, really).

Thanks for reading and if Jacob or Trisha happen to read this post, speak up and share some stories of some of the customers you have met, good, bad, or indifferent. (you can change the names to protect the innocent)

Larry
    All are headed to that undiscovered country, to which once born, no one has ever returned. Life means death, the end is certain, the journey through life is not. Enjoy the journey and love as much as you are capable of, anger slowly and never with intent to harm another. I am dying of an unknown primary (cancer) and I hope you heed my words, love, love, love life and surrender often to it.

Default Re: Creed fakes and the San Francisco Family Vacation.

I guess you could say valuable lesson learned about buying Creed from Ebay.

If you haven't left SF, don't forget Barney's right down the block: it's the best niche store in the city!

Hey Larry this is Jacob! I'm so glad that Trisha was a great help to you and really excited to hear that you purchased Noir de Noir. It was a real pleasure meeting and assisting you that day and I'm sad that I missed you when you came back.

Valley Springs, CA (Gold miner's country)

Quote Originally Posted by Jabel View Post
    Hey Larry this is Jacob! I'm so glad that Trisha was a great help to you and really excited to hear that you purchased Noir de Noir. It was a real pleasure meeting and assisting you that day and I'm sad that I missed you when you came back.
    Hi Jacob,

Your patients with my questions and letting my wife and I sample what we talked about, was a tremendous day for us. I just could not forget Noir de Noir, I love the Tobacco Vanille and will purchase some in the future. Your a great guy and I can tell you like what you do, which makes a difference. Trisha was so patient with us also, I was sort of ashamed we did not go back and buy some Creed. But like most folks, we only had so much money for the trip and I could not have both (of course I wish I could have it all!) Give Trisha our regards, if you see her, and maybe one day soon, we can do a perfume tour of San Francisco with you and Trisha as our guide? I am sure there are a few folks that would love to do that. No pressure!!! Take care friend!

Warm Regards,
    Larry
    All are headed to that undiscovered country, to which once born, no one has ever returned. Life means death, the end is certain, the journey through life is not. Enjoy the journey and love as much as you are capable of, anger slowly and never with intent to harm another. I am dying of an unknown primary (cancer) and I hope you heed my words, love, love, love life and surrender often to it.

Looking forward to it Larry, I'll give Trisha your message next time I see her.

Thank you for sharing your tremendous experience! It's great to discuss fragrances with people who share your passion for them, and I'm glad you found kind and excellent people to help you along in your journey of discovery.

I suggest that you read some old BN threads about excellent "cheapos." I find it very interesting to compare them to niche fragrances. You should be able to get at least 5-6 for around $100, so that you can develop your "nose" over time (without taking out a second mortgage).

Blog Entries

It sounds like you had a great time. Union Square has some really awesome, expert perfume salespeople - it makes the experience a whole lot more fun. When I tell Basenoters online that I always buy things for full price at stores, they act like I'm crazy, but once you know the salespeople and they hook you up with samples and advice, it's a big part of the experience.

Also, there are a lot of BNers in SF - The next time you make it out here, check with us. We get together and shop in little groups quite often when an out-of-towner shows up.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I suggest that you read some old BN threads about excellent "cheapos." I find it very interesting to compare them to niche fragrances. You should be able to get at least 5-6 for around $100, so that you can develop your "nose" over time (without taking out a second mortgage).
    Why ?

I think Larry is enjoying what he is experiencing at this point. Why would you even mention to him to develop his nose ? He may not need to. In any case, we all have changing tastes, whether new to fragrances or old. And just look at his avatar ! This is clearly a man that should be telling you and me to go hang out with Aqua Velqua

I also don't get why you find it interesting to compare "excellant" cheapos to niche fragrances. Would it not just depend on what exact fragrances you were comparing, as opposed to niche vs. designer cheapie ? This comparission is getting old ( not from you, but just from a few BNers in general).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

By the way, I really enjoyed reading the OPs ( Larry) post here. Really nicely written. You seem like a cool guy. I like that you have a good relationship with the SA's. Its not possible where I live. So I envy you.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !