Code of Conduct

Default Fougère / citrus classic fragrance for men recommendation?

Hello,

I need a herbal/ citrus classic fragrance and I would appreciate your recommendations. I have quite a few sweet, fresh, etc fragrances but I dont have any bold, very masculine classic ones.

loud projection is a must in this case. I am enough non-offensive close to skin fragrances.

I would like to express my ideas on a few that I have came across:

1- Dior Eau Sauvage: smells ok but doesnt last very long on my skin and it is pretty subtle I find

2- Chanel pour monsieur: smells nice but exactly the same problem with eau sauvage. it doesnt project loud and bold like I want.

3- aramis 900 herbal: excellent scent but my dad wears this. I dont want to smell like I sprayed my dad's cologne

4- paco rabanne pour homme: smells almost right but it is too soapy, not enough lavender.

5- Brut by Faberge: great smell, OK projection and longetivity, but due to it's "cheapness" I would rather not wear it. not very classy really.

6- Chanel pour monsieur concentrated: didnt really find it was any better at projection than the original.

some other fragrances I have:
    1- Joop! homme
    2- CK Eternity
    3-David Beckham Instinct
    4-Burberry Brit
    5-Paco Rabanne 1 million (I know I dont like it, it was a blind buy I dont wear it)
    6-Davidoff Good life
    7-Davidoff cool water
    8-Paco Rabanne pour homme (bought it for this purpose but couldnt cut the mustard)
    9-Faberge brut
    10-Givenchy Pi

I am 20 years old. as you can see I dont have any very masculine fragrances.

I want a bitter/herbal, Fougere citrus fragrance that projects like my Joop! or 1 million or Givenchy Pi or Burberry Brit.

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by WellGroomedGentleman; 14th October 2011 at 12:04 AM.

Default Re: Fougère / citrus classic fragrance for men recommendation?

Long-lasting and pleasant citruses don't exist . (1) and (2) are wonderful, but, as you say, longevity is not their strength.

I would have suggested Aramis 900 too. Your father must smell very good. Other possibilities are Azzaro pour homme, Aramis Tuscany, and Halston Z-14. If instead of a fougere you're willing to go with leather, you can check the (very strong) Bandit (green bitter leather) and Estee Lauder Azuree (citrus leather. Note, the plain Azuree, not the flakers).

cacio

Thank you very much for the recommendations Cacio. I never really smelled leather fragrances. I am going to try to get a hold of smaplers and go from there.
    Thanks again

The original Aramis is leathery too, though not as straightforward; plus it is more animalic-musky. If you sample leathers, you need to sample also the grandfather of them all, Knize Ten, a wonderful ambery leather. (neither Aramis nor Knize ten are bitter or citrusy, though)

cacio

Thanks. It is sad to hear there are no long lasting citrus. becasue the moment you talk of leathers and musk and amber it reminds of warm fragrances for some reason. I dont want another warm musky fragrance. citrus makes it fresh. I dont like the smell of lemon in the fragrance but I really LOVE the smell of peeled lemon skin. add some lavender and its perfect.

I want citrus/herbal. has anyone tried eau sauvage intense?

Not all leathers are warm. Bandit is rather green. but you are right that in general the tendency is to go towards warm ambers and musks. If you want something fresh and long lasting, the only option is vetiver. There are several vetiver fragrances, and quite a few threads on it. My favorite is Sycomore by Chanel.

cacio

Thank you very much, I will try to research vetiver fragrances.

Citoyen

for herbal/fougere that projects good you might want to check TSAR, Truefitt & Hill's Grafton, Lauder For Men, Citrus Paradisi.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by WellGroomedGentleman View Post
    Hello,

I need a herbal/ citrus classic fragrance and I would appreciate your recommendations. I have quite a few sweet, fresh, etc fragrances but I dont have any bold, very masculine classic ones.
    Cravache by Robert Piguet is certainly citric and herbal. It was my SoTD yesterday.

for swap/sale:

Thank you very much. just a shame that I can not try these fragrances in any department stores around.

how long does eau sauvage extreme last and how does it project?

Maybe Duc de Vervins. Pretty easy to find and test around here. Check it out in the directory.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by YSL

YSL Pour Homme. The normal version or the concentree. A decidely potent citrus in either case

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Rive Gauche pour Homme by YSL
    Agreed. You wanted loud (actually "lound")? well this is it!
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

loud projection is a must in this case. I am enough non-offensive close to skin fragrances.
    Grey Flannel - more floral and mossy than citric, but it's one of the better-projecting fougeres.

MPG Garrigue - herbal, mostly inoffensive, but you might find it refreshing

Jules, Or Black, Bandit - three different takes on herbal/spicy/green dirty leathers. I'd recommend sampling together if you can, with the caveats that Bandit's the easier one to find, but sold as a feminine perfume and it isn't a fougere.

Billy Jealousy - Illicit
    Hermes Sur Le Nil

Thanks for the recommendations. I was at a hair dressers the other day and the stylist put some "aveda" styling clay in my hair. that stuff smelled amazing. Aveda makes the fragrance as well but I dont know where I can try it out on my skin.

http://www.aveda.com/product/5349/16...ray/index.tmpl

I tried paco rabanne pour homme. I think it smells like a 1$ soap bar.

Perhaps Monsieur Balmain.

Je Suis un homme by Etat Libre d'Orange

Thank you for all the recommendations.
    I should add that I am into Chypre smelling fragrances as well (as you may have guessed already). anything with strong lavender, citrus, vetiver, manly herbs.

I am very sad because most of the fragrances that you recommended are not easily testable where I live. the most masculine fragrances I can test is eau sauvage and chanel pour monsieur

There are may-be 10 Aveda stores in DC...I guess they stop at the border. I have and like Pure-formance as well. Very fresh, loud and has decent longevity, given that it is supposedly made with all naturals. I have not smelled the clay, but I cannot imagine these herbal notes getting distorted on skin.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Long lasting citrus, classic, masculine fragrance? Sounds exactly like Habit Rouge by Guerlain.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    There are may-be 10 Aveda stores in DC...I guess they stop at the border. I have and like Pure-formance as well. Very fresh, loud and has decent longevity, given that it is supposedly made with all naturals. I have not smelled the clay, but I cannot imagine these herbal notes getting distorted on skin.

cacio
    aparently the clay (and their entire pure-formance line) smells the same.

right now I have 2 100ml bottles of burberry brit and I wear it daily to university. I like it personally, but I read too many reviews that people say it smells like baby powder. that makes me self concious.

One of the most rounded herbal/citrus: Hermès Eau d´Orange verte

Yesterday I sampled Azzaro pour homme, I think it smells almost like paco rabanne pour homme. too soapy really. it is pleasant but it smells like a cheap bar soap (no disrespect intended)

Today I sampled Eau Sauvage and Chanel pour monsieur on different arms: LOL to my nose they smell almost the same. it is pleasant but waay too feeble.

Bvlgari man smells pretty masculine but doesnt project loud like Brit, Joop! or Givenchy Pi.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I want citrus/herbal. has anyone tried eau sauvage intense?
    Imo nobody does citrus/herbs better than the Italian houses. Try Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Imo nobody does citrus/herbs better than the Italian houses. Try Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo for instance.
    Thanks for the recommendation friend. do you know where I can get a sample of this?
    I like herbal but I dont like azzaro pour homme or paco rabanne pour homme because I think they smell like cheap soap. aramis 900 on the other hand smells pretty classy.

Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Lorenzo villoresi Uomo is amazingly good. The best of its kind in my opinion.

Also try Esencia Loewe and Oscar de la renta pour lui.
    Massive oldschool fresh with great longevity. While citrus is not up front, but if 900 is a contender, so are these.

Today I sampled Eau Sauvage and Chanel pour monsieur on different arms: LOL to my nose they smell almost the same. it is pleasant but waay too feeble.
    At some point, it looks like you're going to have to start ordering samples! However, where I live, discount mall kiosks and the local flea markets have a broader selection than I would have expected. Regarding the Chanel though, over a year ago I walked away from the Chanel counter at a store with Pour Monsieur on one test strip and No. 18 on another: three guesses which one I have a couple of mini bottles of!

I do wear Bogart (not Bogart Pour Homme) and Xeryus, both of which are less expensive than Chanel Pour Homme.

Bvlgari man smells pretty masculine but doesnt project loud like Brit, Joop! or Givenchy Pi.
    Only landfills and wastewater treatment plants out-project Joop!