Code of Conduct

Thread: Chergui

Default Chergui

Hi folks,

Im a big fan of gourmands and have fragrances such as Tobacco Vanille, Musc Ravageur Tonka Imperiale, New Harrlem etc. I have blind bought several of these niche fragrances based on the rave reviews and am extremely happy. I'm thinking about taking the plunge with Chergui. Do you think I would be a fan of this one and does it smell similiar to any of the fragrances I've mentioned? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Nick

Default Re: Chergui

It is a good scent. Definitely worth owning. However, I don't consider this a gourmand scent. More of like oriental to me.

I highly recommend it also.

Chergui is a wonderful, sweet and warm light gourmand. I agree it's not a strongly sweet scent.

If you have not sampled, please do so.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

In my opinion, Chergui is not particularly similar to the others you mentioned. However, I do think that you will like it.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Chergui is way different than those, definitely sample first.

I do not consider it a gourmand either.

Very different from what you have mentioned. Def try a few wears of Cherg before a purchase, its not for everyone.

I guess Chergui could be considered a gourmand insofar as almost all Lutens can be considered gourmands because of their sweetness (I'm assuming, I haven't smelled all of them of course). Definitely worth getting though, and I think you'd like it.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    It is a good scent. Definitely worth owning. However, I don't consider this a gourmand scent. More of like oriental to me.
    I share the same sentiments.

Its not exactly gourmand. I get some tobacco and another nondescript note.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by icanzapyou View Post
    I guess Chergui could be considered a gourmand insofar as almost all Lutens can be considered gourmands because of their sweetness (I'm assuming, I haven't smelled all of them of course). Definitely worth getting though, and I think you'd like it.
    I don't consider Chergui a gourmand. Nor do I consider almost all SLs gourmand. Some are gourmand. Some aren't.

for swap/sale:

Chergui is definitely interesting, I find it to be a be more powdery compare to scents you already own, this is not necessarily bad, by any means.
    Besides, I think if you take into consideration, what Chergui delivers versus Price Tag, is definitely a Deal, nonetheless Chergui is a Solid Fragrance.

Please sample this before purchasing.

Also, grab a sample of Keiko Mecheri's Les Zazous which is quite similar to Chergui but IMO better (it has more structure, more of a 'backbone' so to speak thanks to the presence of a nice sandalwood where Chergui is a bit spineless - kind of a huge sweet blob). Extra bonus - Les Zazous is less expensive, if you end up liking it more.

Going by the gourmands you like I can see you liking Chergui very much.

I had to go through a whole sample of Chergui before I ended up loving it. On the first few wears, I didn't like it.

awesome juice, enough said!!!

I say jump right in. I do agree with many poster's sentiment that it isn't a straight forward gourmand, but, it certainly smells delicious. I heard someone once describe it as "honey dipped hay" which is very apt. It just so happens to be my SOTD, and, I am getting lovely whiffs of it while I write this.

My guilty pleasure for many years was Givenchy Pi. An all throughout sweet and harmless scent, but as my nose became more educated this one turned boring and managed only to conjure a picture of a clump of honey on a white backround.

In many ways Chergui brought me back to my initial love for Pi, but instead of a nondescript background, Chergui is painted on a highly detailed oriental canvas.
    Last edited by Noalick; 3rd May 2012 at 07:34 PM.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

I love and own all the fragrances you listed, but for what it's worth, I didn't take to Chergui. Sample first, to avoid disappointment!

Chergui is definetely different. I agree it's more of an oriental with just a touch of sweetness. Love it!

WEll,is not gourmand, true. Has sweet notes, is warm, tough. For me is more about the other notes, and the development at the skin. So: if you might, test it; if you don't, read reviews or expert's articles before buying. Noone will tell, I guess, is not entirely FBW, but to conclude you will like it (or hate it) is different, and this one changes with people, not sure why, but it does.

Good stuff.

Thank you for all the replies folks !

Chergui is nice, but not everyone understands it. It's honey but not the same honey as By Kilian Back to Black (it's more masculine). I like it, but it is an acquired fragrance.

I have to confess some serious love for Chergui. I tested in it January. bought it in February and because I have bene travelling, only got to wear it for a second time today.

I see the resemblance to Tobacco Vanille bit it is quieter, warmer and sweeter. I real wrist sniffer and I can imagine wearing this regularly durin gthe colder months.

For what it's worth, Chergui smells good on me for one hour. After that, it's pure Play-Doh (borderline annoying). Starts nice, but doesn't hold up over time. May be dependent on body chemistry.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary.

Banned

I abhor its new formulation.

I find it quite unwearable. Great quality, though!
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    That sums up most of the Serge Lutens line for me.lol

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    Same here. I appreciate the quality but I struggle wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    For what it's worth, Chergui smells good on me for one hour. After that, it's pure Play-Doh (borderline annoying). Starts nice, but doesn't hold up over time. May be dependent on body chemistry.

I dont get the play dough, although I do like the smell of play dough so if anyone has any recommendations...

I have a love hate love relationship with Chergui. First I love then I hate then I love again. Right now I am looking to pick up a full bottle again after I swapped it away.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Hi folks,

Im a big fan of gourmands and have fragrances such as Tobacco Vanille, Musc Ravageur Tonka Imperiale, New Harrlem etc. I have blind bought several of these niche fragrances based on the rave reviews and am extremely happy. I'm thinking about taking the plunge with Chergui. Do you think I would be a fan of this one and does it smell similiar to any of the fragrances I've mentioned? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Nick
    I own Tobacco Vanille, New Haarlem and Tonka Imperiale and Chergui is one of my favorites. It's in similar taste but an oriental instead of gourmand.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

It's THE fireplace warm comfort scent for me, my first more "niche" purchase, so it does evoke a lot of memories

You'll love it. Cherry tobacco vanilla.

You can get 50ml of Chergui from FragranceNet for $86 right now with free shipping (and use coupon code 65FTP)

http://www.fragrancenet.com/serge-lu...wf/en_US/21240

It`s a great scent indeed. I owned a bottle some month ago, that I swapped away. Today I received my new bottle. I will now give it another chance. I have always liked it, but the reason I swapped it was that I couldn`t decide if I think it was too much on the feminine side. Now I have conclude that it`s gender-less and very unisex. If I can wear Amouage Gold, I think I can pull off Chergui also ;-)

I read somewhere that Kirsten Dunst wears it.

I don't find it a gourmand. It has an interesting top note smelling something like ginger and a very faded leather. I think you'd like Fumerie Turque or Jeux de Peau better.

I received it as a gift some time ago....just loved it....it's warm, cozy, elegant like a cup of tea with honey in sunny hot afternnon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    That sums up most of the Serge Lutens line for me.lol
    Totally get this. Strangely, I like almost all the Serge Lutens scents I've smelled, but when I try to wear them, with the exception of Chergui they don't work on me. It's the only house that's like this.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post

I see what you're saying, I think this can be attributed to the rose in the amber accord. I happen to love it.

So, OP, do you like rose in compositions?

I found it perfectly nice but I expected more after all the praise it gets. I guess that sums it up: 'nice' but nothing very special.

I loved the version from years ago, the current one I find too sweet. Sample before you buy!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit