Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Copycat fragrance...a good thing or bad?

I just tried Forbidden Euphoria today and was pleasantly surprised how much I like it. It smells just like Givenchy Very Irresistible For Men & Thierry Mugler Womanity! From the bottle it smells Britney Spears Midnight Fantasy but on my skin smelled just like the men's Givenchy and the new Womanity fragrance.

I also believe that Vince Camuto's fragrance is identical to Victor & Rolf Flowerbomb. It's a lot less expensive though!

Do you guys think it's a good thing to have designers releasing copycat fragrances?

Wasn't it awkward when one of Vince Camuto's Distributor's interns realized that it smelled just like her flowerbomb fragrance she's worn for years. Don't you think she would have told Vince? Or what if Thierry Mugler was shopping in Bloomingdales and tried Forbidden Euphoria...only to have to take a double take because he thought he was spraying his own perfume bottle!

What other new scents have you tried that smell almost identical to previous releases?
    Last edited by leociccone; 4th October 2011 at 04:58 AM.

Default Re: Copycat fragrance...a good thing or bad?

You get what you pay for.
    for swap/sale:

Not always! Sometimes you are just paying for the name....
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Noa by Cacharel

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Not always! Sometimes you are just paying for the name....
    And the name you are paying for guarantees quality.
    for swap/sale:

Guest 3

The name "Forbidden Euphoria" does seem like it could be a designer imposter name for Midnight Fantasy. If you like Britney Spears Midnight Fantasy, you'll LOVE Forbidden Euphoria! Why would designers intentionally do copycat fragrances? I suppose they sell. Does Calvin Klein actually have any input into the fragrances that bear his name? I have absolutely no idea. :-/ I don't know Vince Camuto. I'm just really out of the loop on this stuff. I like Flowerbomb, though, and I actually own BS Midnight Fantasy. I like it in hot weather.

I ordered GIT tweed clone from Copycat frangrances in the UK. It smells very nice and got compliments, but unfortunately, the projection doesn't last long.

So far, the few experiences had with houses like this one were not always necessarily bad, yet rather confusing-since their take on an established, brand name fragrance was occasionally or even more often quite different from the starting point (even though claiming and advertising with similarity).

Other than brands that specialize strictly on releasing copycats of more famous houses/perfumes, must say that the constant back and forth between designer and niche inspiring each other, with either more expensive and elitist or more mundane, more formal or casual, more classic or experimental takes on fragrances between each of these:

- Aventus and its mass market, designer and even niche competitors, plus a few proto-Aventus elements in older male pineapple scents,

- Eau Sauvage but also ADG and their impact on male citruses in all budget categories and from various time intervals,

- the lavender take of Caron pour un Homme inspiring other scents later on,

- the pioneering work for neo-barbershop scents of the male Rive Gauche,

- male florals in Grey Flannel,

- vanillic notes in Guerlains for each gender etc.

having a positive and stimulating impact, provided that somewhat similar are not striving to be 100% carbon copies.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyface View Post
    but unfortunately, the projection doesn't last long.
    Unfortunately that's often the case with a "copycat house"
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.