Code of Conduct

Default I'm looking for a heavy, powerful fragrance for my home.

Any suggestions?

I want something opulent, dense, and intoxicating. I like L'air du desert marocain but I want something richer and louder.

Does anybody know of any home fragrances which fit the bill?

Thanks!!

Default Re: I'm looking for a heavy, powerful fragrance for my home.

You'll probably want to explore resin based incenses. Fred Soll is a favorite of mine. He makes "resin on a stick" incense sticks, which are easy to burn (just like a regular stick), but they're much more dense than your typical head-shop incense. These things put out a LOT of scent. His Frankincense and Myrrh are amazing and his Magical Copal may be the best I've ever smelled. You really have to check these out.

Also, you could explore using Catholic liturgical incense-- it's the stuff priests burn during mass. You can find it at Catholic supply stores. You have to get some charcoal and a metal burning plate, etc, but it's very intense and puts out a ton of smoke and incense-- it's best to have a large home/ loft with high ceilings.

Also, I have some of the Comme des Garçons Incense Series Incense sticks that I got from Luckyscent. They're kind of pricey but good, though not as intense as the resin incense or the Fred Soll stuff. If you want something along the lines of L'Air du Desert Marocain, you might try Ourzazate.

Cheers.

Are you the only person the replies to my posts? Thank you for giving me some starting points!

Blog Entries

I've been using a catalytic lamp (Lampe Berger or La Tee Da) for a while now. Within 10 minutes, scent will permeate the entire downstairs and I can usually catch a whiff at about the third step from the top of the stairs, if not the top landing. A while back, I experimented with making my own fragrance oil by adding about 1.5 oz of Revlon Flair edt to 8 oz of isopropyl alcohol. It was left to burn for about 30 minutes accidentally (I usually let them burn for 5-10 and no more than 15 minutes). The house smelled like Flair for two days! Catalytic lamps throw off a lot of scent, and are also excellent at eliminating, not just covering, bad odors.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Mathias narguilè scented candle
    Cdg avignon scented candle
    Heeley cardinal scented candle

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Amouage Indian Song room spray - rich long lasting scent

Like Heartwood, I use Lampe Berger catalytic lamps and they are usually quite potent. You only need to let them run for 20 -30 minutes and you are good to go. As Heartwood pointed out, one of the advantages is that you can use a dilution of your favorite fragrance to scent your home. I usually use a ratio of 1 part fragrance to 10 parts 91% isopropyl alcohol, but sometimes adjust this up or down depending on how potent the fragrance is. A Lampe Berger typically burns about 25ml of fuel per hour, so an hour of scenting would need only 2.5ml of your favorite fragrance. I have also made fuel using candle scenting oil. When I use candle fragrance oil, I usually add 1ml of oil per 50ml of 91% isopropyl alcohol. My favorite "dense" fragrance is made from a dupe of Donna Karan Black Cashmere from "SaveonScents". I use the extreme concentrate. It smells like a sophisticated exotic temple incense smoke when it burns.

Any chance at all of getting you to rethink this? 'Cause if you scent your home that strongly, I can pretty much guarantee you that two-thirds of your friends and family, no matter how politely they hold their tongues, are going to wish you hadn't. First off, the odds of someone getting a headache or asthma attack, then or afterward, are not trivial. Second, most folks are not perfumistas, and many who are are of the more restrained type. These people may be too nice to say so, but they just don't _like_ frags that strong. YMMV, but I hope you'll think about it. A couple of hours in an over-scented house recently almost cost my asthmatic brother his life.

Essence of John Galliano

Lately I've been burning some excellent sweet spruce resin that someone sent me from Alaska. It's powerful and hits me deep.

Well, if you go the candle route you could try Nazareth (Cire Tudon), Saint de Saints (Editions de Parfum Frederic Malle) or Opoponax (Diptyque). These are my personal favourites in the more oriental genre. I also like some of the non-stick Japanese Incense from Shoyeido. I prefer the more mossy ones but some are also quite heady, with a sweeter scent (LADDM is pretty strong on amber, after all). In fact the one called Joy, which is in the cheap and cheerful section compared to some of the serious temple stuff, lives up to it's name really well - a quality comfort scent if ever there was one.

Looks like you want to burn some Oud!

No response at all to the problems with this I raised? Just "Yes, I'll make people uncomfortable and could kill someone, but screw it"?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Zinnia View Post
    No response at all to the problems with this I raised? Just "Yes, I'll make people uncomfortable and could kill someone, but screw it"?
    Maybe some members prefer not to have other members 'coming into their home' and suggesting / telling / warning them what to do, or not to do, Blue Zinnia - it's kind of a personal decision, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Maybe some members prefer not to have other members 'coming into their home' and suggesting / telling / warning them what to do, or not to do, Blue Zinnia - it's kind of a personal decision, don't you think?
    Certainly, and nowhere did I suggest otherwise. Quite the opposite, in fact. And then what I did was pass on some information the OP appeared either not to have or not to have thought about recently. Personally, I'm glad when someone does that for me. F'rinstance, recently I told a friend that I was looking to find a way to use one of those plug-in scent diffusers to diffuse a well- diluted mix of rosemary, spearmint and lavender essential oils in my home. He told me something I hadn't known: oil of rosemary is highly toxic to cats, and can cause liver failure even in amounts that small. Am I glad he warned me? You bet I am. And even if I thought he had misread the research, would I just ignore him, or would I say so?

Hehe I think d4N13L has the right idea Oud! is usually really strong, it's also very heavy no matter what form you buy it in. I can also recommend Melange Moroc if your looking for a oil, the description might say subtle, its anything but subtle.
    Last edited by rosewond; 6th February 2012 at 12:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Plus 2 for John Galliano by Diptyque. It's my favorite room spray. Luxurious spicey labdanum & incense.

Also, I burn 'Charleston' scent in a Lampe Berger. It is a similar warm, amber-based frag.

Anyone else feel the Diptyque John Galliano candle has a pretty weak scent?
    My room is quite small and even when I burn it, I hardly detect anything at all.

Would the room spray be stronger?

Quote Originally Posted by woodsteel23 View Post
    Anyone else feel the Diptyque John Galliano candle has a pretty weak scent?
    My room is quite small and even when I burn it, I hardly detect anything at all.

Would the room spray be stronger?
    I find the candle fine, altho it's not as obvious as some of the Diptyque florals (which is part of the reason I like it). The room spray is also great but more suitable to spray before guests arrive sort of thing as it disperses quite quickly.

Try walking out from your room for a while then walking back in - may just be a form of olfactory fatigue