Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Cool Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

As I mentioned in a previous post I have 22 samples coming in, on my quest to get that next great bottle.

I will sample each blind, one by one, maybe one or two a day.

And use this post to leave my comments.

1st One: I find this very feminine, overpowering, and altogether repugnant (on me). It reminds me of an air-freshener my grandmother used in her bathroom (no joke). It also smells like I stuck my head in a bunch of flowers at a florist's shop.

It is...Carnal Flower. Shame, I had high hopes for this. I find it completely unwearable and my gf is requesting I shower it off.

Add 'tuberose' next to 'rose' on the list of notes I don't like. If anyone wants the rest of my 1.5ml spray sample (there's at least 1 ml left) PM your address and I will ship it out immediately (if you live in the USA). I want it out of my house.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 4th October 2011 at 01:23 AM.

Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

Congrats to "inscents" for winning the Carnal Flower sample.

Now, back from my shower, I move onto the...

2nd One: Loved the way this opened...like a caramelly, gourmand Christmas tree, with some booze to it (cognac? beats me)...10 minutes later I'm wondering if it settled down too much. Reminds me of a more syrupy, boozier L'Anarchiste. I like it a lot. Wish it was stronger

It is...Frapin 1270. No giveaway here, basenoters. 1270 will make it to the next round, where remaining samples will be subjected to more blind challenges, and full-day wearings. It's a good one.

Wow, it's hard to find someone not loving Carnal Flower. Doesn't matter though, we can't all have the same tastes.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, interesting thread - keep it up! I'm curious how many bottle purchases will result from this endeavor.

I suppose the irony isn't lost on you that your handle is "Buysblind"...

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    1st One: I find this very feminine, overpowering, and altogether repugnant (on me). It reminds me of an air-freshener my grandmother used in her bathroom (no joke). It also smells like I stuck my head in a bunch of flowers at a florist's shop.

It is...Carnal Flower. Shame, I had high hopes for this. I find it completely unwearable and my gf is requesting I shower it off.
    Not my favorite in Malle's line either.

Like you I found Carnal Flower much more sutiable on my wife than me. She thoroughly enjoys it and me more so on her.

Just remember that disliking someone is not permanent. Come back to it in the future.
    for swap/sale:

Very cool thread indeed, sir!
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey
    Currently wearing: Lalique White by Lalique

Blog Entries

Looking forward the see the next 20 reviews

About carnal flower, that is one I have missed with my sampling cruises altogether.
    Dunno how that could have happened but luckily a good spanish friend will fix my loss
    Smellin good

Samples blind... Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    Looking forward the see the next 20 reviews

About carnal flower, that is one I have missed with my sampling cruises altogether.
    Dunno how that could have happened but luckily a good spanish friend will fix my loss
    Who's givin' away Carnal Flower samples?????

O_o

... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm also keen to hear how you get on, and which samples you've got. I like your short, snappy reviews - keep 'em coming!

1270 is great stuff, glad that you like it. However I just sold my bottle off after much debate (with myself)...the longevity, or the lack of it, was killing me. Plus I managed to somehow make a loss of just £1 reselling it so why not :P

I haven't smelled Carnal Flower I think, but I'm not a FM fan anyway...

Day 2

Temperature: 52 degrees Fahrenheit
    Cloudy
    Barometric Pressure: 29.6

The 3rd One: Fresh, fizzy cloves with cinnamon. Smells kind of like a box of Red Hot candies at first. Very clovey and natural smelling. Possibly some nutmeg? As it dries down what seems like a soft, sweet vanilla appears in the background. Stays quite close to the skin. Seems like a good Christmas scent. It's nice, but I'm not blown away...it's a much better version of Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree, softer and more subtle and natural. Good, but I'm not crazy about it. It will not make the finals.

It is...Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle. I always expected this scent to be kind of crazy in some way, but it's not. I'm surprised by how tame and simple it seems. High quality, well done...but nothing really earth shattering...yet...it keeps getting better as time passes. Oh well. I'll see if my masseuse notices it during my 7PM rubdown.

First person to PM me will receive the rest of the 1.5ml spray vial sample. There's more than half left.

buysblind, keep your samples for a second testing, or come back to them again after some time has passed!!!
    Currently wearing: No. 23 by Ava Luxe

Congrats to hobbes22 and his sample of Musc Ravageur.

cello, I will be keeping samples of those that I like enough or find interesting enough to warrant further sampling and possible purchases in the future. Otherwise, I prefer to let em go and move on. Surprisingly, MR gets the boot.

duplicate
    Last edited by Buysblind; 4th October 2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: duplicate

Congrats to hobbes22 and his sample of Musc Ravageur.
    Thanks Buysblind! What a fun and charitable sampling experiment - very generous of you

Regarding Carnal Flower: tuberose is a tough note to deal with, even if you don't think it smells "feminine," in my experience. I haven't tried CF, but I've tried to like tuberose and it hasn't been easy.

I'm with you on Carnal Flower. But then.. tuberose and I don't get along at all. The only scent I actually enjoy that has it is Honour Woman, and I suppose I find it bearable in Bond's Harrods for Her, but otherwise.. yuck!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    buysblind, keep your samples for a second testing, or come back to them again after some time has passed!!!
    +1.

Gotta admire your spunk,Buysblind!

So how are you managing to blind sniff? Aren't the samples labeled? Or did you cover them all up and number them?? Inquiring mids want to know because I was thinking the next time I ordered samples, I wanted to blind sniff them as well.
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!
    Currently wearing: Le De by Givenchy

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    +1.
    +1 000 000
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau Des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Gotta admire your spunk,Buysblind!

So how are you managing to blind sniff? Aren't the samples labeled? Or did you cover them all up and number them?? Inquiring mids want to know because I was thinking the next time I ordered samples, I wanted to blind sniff them as well.
    My girlfrined picks one out of the bag of samples, pulls the label off and sticks it in a bag, I apply the sample, put the vial in the bag with the label, then look at it an hour or so later.

I was going to sample all twenty two completely blind ,number the bags, and not look till I was finished with 22, but that would take forever (or 22 days), and I pretty much forgot the names of most of the samples I ordered anyway. So I look after an hour.

I think this is a cool idea. I have two half samples and one full sample of scents that I am not digging. I will trade if you want, or I dont want to mimic your thread, but wow, this is cool.

My girlfrined picks one out of the bag of samples, pulls the label off and sticks it in a bag, I apply the sample, put the vial in the bag with the label, then look at it an hour or so later.

I was going to sample all twenty two completely blind ,number the bags, and not look till I was finished with 22, but that would take forever (or 22 days), and I pretty much forgot the names of most of the samples I ordered anyway. So I look after an hour.
    Good system!
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!
    Currently wearing: Le De by Givenchy

Day 3

Heyyyyy, it's Terre D'Hermes! But wait, it can't be, because I already own it. This must be Red Vetyver because everyone told me it smells just like Terre D'Hermes.

It is...Red Vetyver by Montale Everyone was right. It does smell like Terre D' Hermes. No need for this one!

Red Vetyver, you've been NEXTED!

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    I think this is a cool idea. I have two half samples and one full sample of scents that I am not digging. I will trade if you want, or I dont want to mimic your thread, but wow, this is cool.
    Mimic away! Glad you're enjoying the thread. PM me if I go through any samples you're interested in for a trade.

Day 2

Temperature: 52 degrees Fahrenheit
    Cloudy
    Barometric Pressure: 29.6

The 3rd One: Fresh, fizzy cloves with cinnamon. Smells kind of like a box of Red Hot candies at first. Very clovey and natural smelling. Possibly some nutmeg? As it dries down what seems like a soft, sweet vanilla appears in the background. Stays quite close to the skin. Seems like a good Christmas scent. It's nice, but I'm not blown away...it's a much better version of Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree, softer and more subtle and natural. Good, but I'm not crazy about it. It will not make the finals.

It is...Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle. I always expected this scent to be kind of crazy in some way, but it's not. I'm surprised by how tame and simple it seems. High quality, well done...but nothing really earth shattering...yet...it keeps getting better as time passes. Oh well. I'll see if my masseuse notices it during my 7PM rubdown.

First person to PM me will receive the rest of the 1.5ml spray vial sample. There's more than half left.

musc ravageur subtle and close to the skin ???? sorry got to totally disagree m.r projects like a atmosphere its stronger than amen on me
    Current top 5

1 spiriteuse double vanille
    2 musc ravageur
    3 versace dreamer
    4 chanel allure
    5 new haarlem

Quote Originally Posted by pimpin4rizeal View Post
    musc ravageur subtle and close to the skin ???? sorry got to totally disagree m.r projects like a atmosphere its stronger than amen on me
    That one surprised me too actually. Last time I wore this, it took over four washes to get the smell out the part of my shirt that touched my chest (where I sprayed it). I'm still not even sure if the scent has entirely vanished even a month later. The longevity and the scent itself is nuclear, and completely blew my nose within about 20 minutes, even though I only used two light sprays.

Possibly you also suffered from similar olfactory fatigue?