Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 124
  1. #1

    Cool Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    As I mentioned in a previous post I have 22 samples coming in, on my quest to get that next great bottle.

    I will sample each blind, one by one, maybe one or two a day.

    And use this post to leave my comments.

    1st One: I find this very feminine, overpowering, and altogether repugnant (on me). It reminds me of an air-freshener my grandmother used in her bathroom (no joke). It also smells like I stuck my head in a bunch of flowers at a florist's shop.

    It is...Carnal Flower. Shame, I had high hopes for this. I find it completely unwearable and my gf is requesting I shower it off.

    Add 'tuberose' next to 'rose' on the list of notes I don't like. If anyone wants the rest of my 1.5ml spray sample (there's at least 1 ml left) PM your address and I will ship it out immediately (if you live in the USA). I want it out of my house.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 4th October 2011 at 01:23 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Congrats to "inscents" for winning the Carnal Flower sample.

    Now, back from my shower, I move onto the...

    2nd One: Loved the way this opened...like a caramelly, gourmand Christmas tree, with some booze to it (cognac? beats me)...10 minutes later I'm wondering if it settled down too much. Reminds me of a more syrupy, boozier L'Anarchiste. I like it a lot. Wish it was stronger

    It is...Frapin 1270. No giveaway here, basenoters. 1270 will make it to the next round, where remaining samples will be subjected to more blind challenges, and full-day wearings. It's a good one.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Wow, it's hard to find someone not loving Carnal Flower. Doesn't matter though, we can't all have the same tastes.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

    Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

    TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  4. #4
    Dependent hobbes22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco CA
    Posts
    1,411

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Hmm, interesting thread - keep it up! I'm curious how many bottle purchases will result from this endeavor.

    I suppose the irony isn't lost on you that your handle is "Buysblind"...

  5. #5
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    77,452

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    1st One: I find this very feminine, overpowering, and altogether repugnant (on me). It reminds me of an air-freshener my grandmother used in her bathroom (no joke). It also smells like I stuck my head in a bunch of flowers at a florist's shop.

    It is...Carnal Flower. Shame, I had high hopes for this. I find it completely unwearable and my gf is requesting I shower it off.
    Not my favorite in Malle's line either.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Like you I found Carnal Flower much more sutiable on my wife than me. She thoroughly enjoys it and me more so on her.

    Just remember that disliking someone is not permanent. Come back to it in the future.

    for swap/sale:





  7. #7

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Very cool thread indeed, sir!
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

  8. #8

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Looking forward the see the next 20 reviews

    About carnal flower, that is one I have missed with my sampling cruises altogether.
    Dunno how that could have happened but luckily a good spanish friend will fix my loss
    Smellin good

  9. #9

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Samples blind... Nice!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    Looking forward the see the next 20 reviews

    About carnal flower, that is one I have missed with my sampling cruises altogether.
    Dunno how that could have happened but luckily a good spanish friend will fix my loss
    Who's givin' away Carnal Flower samples?????

    O_o

    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

    Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

    TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    I'm also keen to hear how you get on, and which samples you've got. I like your short, snappy reviews - keep 'em coming!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    1270 is great stuff, glad that you like it. However I just sold my bottle off after much debate (with myself)...the longevity, or the lack of it, was killing me. Plus I managed to somehow make a loss of just £1 reselling it so why not :P

  13. #13

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    I haven't smelled Carnal Flower I think, but I'm not a FM fan anyway...

  14. #14

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Day 2

    Temperature: 52 degrees Fahrenheit
    Cloudy
    Barometric Pressure: 29.6

    The 3rd One: Fresh, fizzy cloves with cinnamon. Smells kind of like a box of Red Hot candies at first. Very clovey and natural smelling. Possibly some nutmeg? As it dries down what seems like a soft, sweet vanilla appears in the background. Stays quite close to the skin. Seems like a good Christmas scent. It's nice, but I'm not blown away...it's a much better version of Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree, softer and more subtle and natural. Good, but I'm not crazy about it. It will not make the finals.

    It is...Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle. I always expected this scent to be kind of crazy in some way, but it's not. I'm surprised by how tame and simple it seems. High quality, well done...but nothing really earth shattering...yet...it keeps getting better as time passes. Oh well. I'll see if my masseuse notices it during my 7PM rubdown.

    First person to PM me will receive the rest of the 1.5ml spray vial sample. There's more than half left.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    buysblind, keep your samples for a second testing, or come back to them again after some time has passed!!!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Congrats to hobbes22 and his sample of Musc Ravageur.


    cello, I will be keeping samples of those that I like enough or find interesting enough to warrant further sampling and possible purchases in the future. Otherwise, I prefer to let em go and move on. Surprisingly, MR gets the boot.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    duplicate
    Last edited by Buysblind; 4th October 2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: duplicate

  18. #18
    Dependent hobbes22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco CA
    Posts
    1,411

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Congrats to hobbes22 and his sample of Musc Ravageur.
    Thanks Buysblind! What a fun and charitable sampling experiment - very generous of you

  19. #19

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Regarding Carnal Flower: tuberose is a tough note to deal with, even if you don't think it smells "feminine," in my experience. I haven't tried CF, but I've tried to like tuberose and it hasn't been easy.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    I'm with you on Carnal Flower. But then.. tuberose and I don't get along at all. The only scent I actually enjoy that has it is Honour Woman, and I suppose I find it bearable in Bond's Harrods for Her, but otherwise.. yuck!
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  21. #21

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    buysblind, keep your samples for a second testing, or come back to them again after some time has passed!!!
    +1.

  22. #22
    Basenotes Plus
    knit at nite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CA, Central Coast
    Posts
    4,767

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Gotta admire your spunk,Buysblind!

    So how are you managing to blind sniff? Aren't the samples labeled? Or did you cover them all up and number them?? Inquiring mids want to know because I was thinking the next time I ordered samples, I wanted to blind sniff them as well.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

  23. #23

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    +1.
    +1 000 000
    TOP 5 hot weather:

    1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

    TOP 5 cold weather:

    1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

  24. #24

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Gotta admire your spunk,Buysblind!

    So how are you managing to blind sniff? Aren't the samples labeled? Or did you cover them all up and number them?? Inquiring mids want to know because I was thinking the next time I ordered samples, I wanted to blind sniff them as well.
    My girlfrined picks one out of the bag of samples, pulls the label off and sticks it in a bag, I apply the sample, put the vial in the bag with the label, then look at it an hour or so later.

    I was going to sample all twenty two completely blind ,number the bags, and not look till I was finished with 22, but that would take forever (or 22 days), and I pretty much forgot the names of most of the samples I ordered anyway. So I look after an hour.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    I think this is a cool idea. I have two half samples and one full sample of scents that I am not digging. I will trade if you want, or I dont want to mimic your thread, but wow, this is cool.

  26. #26
    Basenotes Plus
    knit at nite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CA, Central Coast
    Posts
    4,767

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    My girlfrined picks one out of the bag of samples, pulls the label off and sticks it in a bag, I apply the sample, put the vial in the bag with the label, then look at it an hour or so later.

    I was going to sample all twenty two completely blind ,number the bags, and not look till I was finished with 22, but that would take forever (or 22 days), and I pretty much forgot the names of most of the samples I ordered anyway. So I look after an hour.
    Good system!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

  27. #27

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Day 3

    Heyyyyy, it's Terre D'Hermes! But wait, it can't be, because I already own it. This must be Red Vetyver because everyone told me it smells just like Terre D'Hermes.

    It is...Red Vetyver by Montale Everyone was right. It does smell like Terre D' Hermes. No need for this one!

    Red Vetyver, you've been NEXTED!

  28. #28

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    I think this is a cool idea. I have two half samples and one full sample of scents that I am not digging. I will trade if you want, or I dont want to mimic your thread, but wow, this is cool.
    Mimic away! Glad you're enjoying the thread. PM me if I go through any samples you're interested in for a trade.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Day 2

    Temperature: 52 degrees Fahrenheit
    Cloudy
    Barometric Pressure: 29.6

    The 3rd One: Fresh, fizzy cloves with cinnamon. Smells kind of like a box of Red Hot candies at first. Very clovey and natural smelling. Possibly some nutmeg? As it dries down what seems like a soft, sweet vanilla appears in the background. Stays quite close to the skin. Seems like a good Christmas scent. It's nice, but I'm not blown away...it's a much better version of Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree, softer and more subtle and natural. Good, but I'm not crazy about it. It will not make the finals.

    It is...Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle. I always expected this scent to be kind of crazy in some way, but it's not. I'm surprised by how tame and simple it seems. High quality, well done...but nothing really earth shattering...yet...it keeps getting better as time passes. Oh well. I'll see if my masseuse notices it during my 7PM rubdown.

    First person to PM me will receive the rest of the 1.5ml spray vial sample. There's more than half left.

    musc ravageur subtle and close to the skin ???? sorry got to totally disagree m.r projects like a atmosphere its stronger than amen on me
    Current top 5

    1 spiriteuse double vanille
    2 musc ravageur
    3 versace dreamer
    4 chanel allure
    5 new haarlem

  30. #30

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by pimpin4rizeal View Post
    musc ravageur subtle and close to the skin ???? sorry got to totally disagree m.r projects like a atmosphere its stronger than amen on me
    That one surprised me too actually. Last time I wore this, it took over four washes to get the smell out the part of my shirt that touched my chest (where I sprayed it). I'm still not even sure if the scent has entirely vanished even a month later. The longevity and the scent itself is nuclear, and completely blew my nose within about 20 minutes, even though I only used two light sprays.

    Possibly you also suffered from similar olfactory fatigue?

  31. #31

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by pimpin4rizeal View Post
    musc ravageur subtle and close to the skin ???? sorry got to totally disagree m.r projects like a atmosphere its stronger than amen on me
    Well, in my experience with it, MR didn't feel like a sillage monster. I was a kinda intense "skin scent". I worn many sprays and nobody seemed to notice inside a car with 5 people . If it was stronger, i'd get a bottle, the smell is quite nice. So far i'll stick to APLS.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

    Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

    TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  32. #32

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    was a kinda intense "skin scent". .
    That's exactly how it was on me...good way to describe it. It was pretty strong when I smelled it up close, but I couldn't smell it when my arms were down at my sides or even on my desk.

    At the same time, I can imagine it plays out differently on different people or in different situations.

    I definitely expected a sillage monster with MR from all that I'd heard.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Buysblind, i've read about many scents that are considered sillage monsters in this forum. Later, when I can try them i feel disappointed. I know several scents work different on other people skins or the idea of sillage monster can vary from people to people.

    MR is one of those that disappoints me. I'm also trying to figure out L'Air du Desert Marocain, i can't get too much sillage out of it either. Havana by Aramis, i'm selling my vintage bottle to a good friend because i don't get much sillage or longevity out of it. That's why buying based on basenotes opinions may be tricky
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

    Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

    TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  34. #34

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    I'm also trying to figure out L'Air du Desert Marocain, i can't get too much sillage out of it either.
    LDDM is one scent I've NEVER had a problem getting sillage from. That thing [I]explodes[I] on me.

    I find sillage/projection one of the most difficult aspects to predict. At least for me it often has an erratic nature, particularly with the heavier ones.

  35. #35

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    UPDATE: DAY 4

    This one opens kind of strange...cloves, some cinnamon and florals and something that smells like cleaning fluid for a kitchen or bathroom...altogether a little rough, but intriguing and interesting. As it settles in the cleaning fluid disappears and it takes on 2 sort of contrasting smells--there's a fresh floral quality to it and then the cloves, sort of serving as this bridge to a sweet, ambery-tonka kind of thing. As the florals dissispate, this aspect becomes stronger. It actually reminds me a little of musc ravageur but I find it much more interesting. It's fairly powerful as well. Good stuff.

    It is...Coromandel by Chanel Les Exclusifs Wow. I would have never guessed that. Coromandel is marketed to women, yet the whole time I thought this smelled pretty masculine. This is why I like sampling things blind.

    Coromandel will definitely make it to the next round, and so far, is in the lead.

  36. #36

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    you should take some bets as to who the eventual 'winner' will be, make a quick buck, and get more samples, and start another thread, and repeat the cycle

    lol, seriously though, Coromandel is awesome, might be buying that FB soon myself!

  37. #37

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    UPDATE: DAY 4

    Wow. I would have never guessed that. Coromandel is marketed to women, yet the whole time I thought this smelled pretty masculine. This is why I like sampling things blind.
    Really fun thread

  38. #38

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    I like the Coromandel opening but the base is very similar to the original Prada perfume, so if that's what you want, try the Prada and you might save yourself a ton of money there.

  39. #39

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    where did you get these samples from?
    Splits!

    Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

  40. #40

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Day 5...

    UGHH! This is HORRIBLE. The smell of a gas station bathroom set to the backdrop of sweaty man-odor. Something like cinnamon scented urinal cakes stuck in a fat guy's under-arm. I don't like this at all, I've had it on for at least an hour and while it's less perfumey than when I put it on, it still stinks the same. Oddly enough, the sprays I blasted on my arm smell terrible, the one light spray I put on my chest doesn't smell so bad. There's something intriguing about the disgusting quality of this scent, but I refuse to go outdoors with this on. It's really strong too.

    It is...The Legendary KOUROS! Finally! I've encountered the King of Controversy, Most Divisive Scent of All Time...and I clearly fall on the side of the naysayers. Yuck!This stuff is gross--point blank. I will shower specifically for the purpose of removing this. Even as I remove myself from my initial 'restroom and b.o.' association I do not find any aspect of it pleasant in the least, and new, perhaps grosser associations are entering my mind. I'll keep the sample around, and maybe throw it on again to experience its nastiness, but I will NOT be buying this anytime soon.

    In a way, I'm kind of happy this stinks. I didn't expect anything less from Kouros--and it lived up to the hype.

  41. #41

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    You should try diluting it about 50% and then see if you like it, but wait at least a couple weeks before doing that, since you had such a nasty initial experience.

  42. #42

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Haha.

  43. #43

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Day 6: The Anti-Kouros Funny, after having my nose blown out by Yves Saint Laurent's Kouros the next fragrance I find myself sniffing feels like its polar opposite. This one's very light and clean. It smells like fresh, original flavored bubble gum with a hint of wintergreen spearmint when it opens. I love the opening. Unfortunately, it dies down very fast and the scent becomes extremely faint. I'm left with a trace of something that smells clean, but its hard to tell if its my skin, laundry detergent, or the fragrance itself.



    The mysterious, anti-Kouros fragrance is...Gendarme 20. It all makes sense now. As I look at the basenotes reviews on this one (they seem very accurate) there's many mentions of how well the lavender was done. Apparently my nose needs a lot of work because I could not pick lavender out...though its described by some as a clear, ethereal lavender, while I'm used to thicker, denser ones. I like Gendarme 20, and will hold the sample until the next round. I'm very surprised that it is an EDP however, as it feels as light as an EDC. Wish there was more in the vial. The sample they sent me sucks and I wish I had more so I could give it a really thorough application. Maybe I'll order another.


    The Continuation of Day 6

    Sometimes the way you guys describe fragrances is dead-on. And somebody told me earlier that one of the samples I ordered smells like "Caron Pour un Homme on steroids." Well, the one I have on now smells exactly like a beefed-up version of Caron Pour Un Homme and I'm thinking that it must be "A Taste of Heaven" from By Kilian. This smells great. I find the lavender smoother, creamier, and more dense than in PUH but very similar nonetheless. Also, the vanilla appears to be more subtle. It's very well done. Maybe even an improvement on PUH, as the overall blend is more powerful yet also more smoothly constructed.

    Indeed, it is A Taste of Heaven By Kilian. No surprise here. It smells really good, don't get me wrong. But having just recently bought Caron PUH I don't think this would be necessary. Plus, I don't know if it's worth the price tag given how inexpensive PUH is. I can get a 3.4 oz bottle for $30. How much is A Taste of Heaven? I'm scared to even look. I'm keeping the sample, and look forward to doing a side by side comparison of the two. I wouldn't mind owning this at all, as it's really beautiful...but with PUH in my wardrobe, it would seem superfluous. I will however, push it to the next round, as I believe it deserves a spot in Round 2.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 8th October 2011 at 02:49 PM.

  44. #44

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    I'm really enjoying this thread. Keep it up Buysblind! Cheers!

  45. #45

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Day 5...

    UGHH! This is HORRIBLE. The smell of a gas station bathroom set to the backdrop of sweaty man-odor. Something like cinnamon scented urinal cakes stuck in a fat guy's under-arm. I don't like this at all, I've had it on for at least an hour and while it's less perfumey than when I put it on, it still stinks the same. Oddly enough, the sprays I blasted on my arm smell terrible, the one light spray I put on my chest doesn't smell so bad. There's something intriguing about the disgusting quality of this scent, but I refuse to go outdoors with this on. It's really strong too.

    It is...The Legendary KOUROS! Finally! I've encountered the King of Controversy, Most Divisive Scent of All Time...and I clearly fall on the side of the naysayers. Yuck!This stuff is gross--point blank. I will shower specifically for the purpose of removing this. Even as I remove myself from my initial 'restroom and b.o.' association I do not find any aspect of it pleasant in the least, and new, perhaps grosser associations are entering my mind. I'll keep the sample around, and maybe throw it on again to experience its nastiness, but I will NOT be buying this anytime soon.

    In a way, I'm kind of happy this stinks. I didn't expect anything less from Kouros--and it lived up to the hype.
    Haha, that's the same thing i said when i tried my friend's KOURUS, It's so overpowering and nasty, I almost vomited.

  46. #46

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    The 7th Day of Sampling


    Holy Leather...Chocolatey Leather! That's even better! Oh, where'd the chocolate go?...I think we're back to Just Leather. Either way, this is really well done. I've encountered leather in perfumes before, but never like this. Maybe it's suede? Very natural smelling and rich, yet its relatively soft and lies close to the skin. Hey, the chocolate's back! This smells like a new leather jacket hanging up in your house and the pockets are stuffed with those little chocolate liqueur bottles you see around the holidays (they're made from chocolate and they have liquor inside...you know, the ones you tried to get drunk on when you were a kid, but got sick before you could eat 'em all). There is a subtle booziness to the composition, with some woods (maybe cedar, oakmoss) beneath. I like this one a lot...it reminds me of Burberry London (one of my favorites) and seems like an excellent holiday scent. My only complaint is it lies very very close to the skin.

    It is...Straight to Heaven from By Kilian. This is really the first time I enjoyed a leather scent. Good job. But, although Straight to Heaven is smoother and more refined, I think I prefer Burberry London's louder, less subtle nature. The booze is more pronounced, it's spicier, and the projection is stronger. However, it lacks the excellent rendition of leather achieved in Straight to Heaven. I guess the two scents are kind of alike, but fairly different...but they definitely share some similarities.

    I'm going to keep my sample of Straight to Heaven, push it to the next round, and maybe throw on London in the meantime and see for myself how similar (or not) they actually are. This is a good one, but do I have a place for it? And is it worth the money?

  47. #47

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    The 7th Day of Sampling


    Holy Leather...Chocolatey Leather! That's even better! Oh, where'd the chocolate go?...I think we're back to Just Leather. Either way, this is really well done. I've encountered leather in perfumes before, but never like this. Maybe it's suede? Very natural smelling and rich, yet its relatively soft and lies close to the skin. Hey, the chocolate's back! This smells like a new leather jacket hanging up in your house and the pockets are stuffed with those little chocolate liqueur bottles you see around the holidays (they're made from chocolate and they have liquor inside...you know, the ones you tried to get drunk on when you were a kid, but got sick before you could eat 'em all). There is a subtle booziness to the composition, with some woods (maybe cedar, oakmoss) beneath. I like this one a lot...it reminds me of Burberry London (one of my favorites) and seems like an excellent holiday scent. My only complaint is it lies very very close to the skin.

    It is...Straight to Heaven from By Kilian. This is really the first time I enjoyed a leather scent. Good job. But, although Straight to Heaven is smoother and more refined, I think I prefer Burberry London's louder, less subtle nature. The booze is more pronounced, it's spicier, and the projection is stronger. However, it lacks the excellent rendition of leather achieved in Straight to Heaven. I guess the two scents are kind of alike, but fairly different...but they definitely share some similarities.

    I'm going to keep my sample of Straight to Heaven, push it to the next round, and maybe throw on London in the meantime and see for myself how similar (or not) they actually are. This is a good one, but do I have a place for it? And is it worth the money?
    Interesting... STH is very strong on me. I get rum and cedar as being the most prominent notes, with a little sweet vanilla, patchouli, and iso-e super. I don't get leather or chocolate at all in this frag. I like it, but a decant was enough for me as I don't wear it too often.

    edit: I think the difference in perception regarding longevity might be due to the iso-e super... it seems like most frags with iso-e in them have this issue as it can cause rapid olfactory fatigue.
    Last edited by Dorje123; 9th October 2011 at 04:23 PM.

  48. #48

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Day 5...

    In a way, I'm kind of happy this stinks. I didn't expect anything less from Kouros--and it lived up to the hype.
    Try applying a very light mist, it comes off different than a more concentrated application.

    I'm one of the few who are on the fence about Kouros...

  49. #49

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    Interesting... STH is very strong on me. I get rum and cedar as being the most prominent notes, with a little sweet vanilla, patchouli, and iso-e super. I don't get leather or chocolate at all in this frag. I like it, but a decant was enough for me as I don't wear it too often..

    Yes. I definitely get the cedar and vanilla too. I was just about to add on to my review that later in the drydown I get a vanilla, cedar combination similar to Gucci Pour Homme, with some patchouli as well. I've really experienced three stages with this--Chocolate/Leather---Leather/Booze/Cedar--Vanilla/Cedar/Patchouli.

    I'd like to check the note pyramid...if there's no leather in this, I'll be damned!

    edit: I'll be damned.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 9th October 2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: damnation

  50. #50

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post

    edit: I'll be damned.
    lol... one of the nice things about Kilian is they give you the formula on their website, click on the "to discover the perfumers formula" link:

    http://www.bykilian.com/en/les_fragr...ght_to_heaven/

  51. #51

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Dorje, thanks for that link!

    Day 7 Continued...

    Not crazy about this one. Opens with a sharp lavender and quickly moves into a baby powder direction. It reminds me of a pediatrician's office, with baby powder and baby wipes in ample supply. The sharp lavender softens and I'm left with the powder. Somewhat feminine. Some vanilla or benzoin and maybe amber. There's another, slightly spicy note that I can't identify lurking around. It would be cool if it was a little stronger. In the drydown the amber and vanilla become quite sweet, and I actually like this part of the fragrance the most. Still, this one's a definite NO.

    And it is...MPG Ambre Precieux. That's disappointing because I had high hopes for it, and almost considered going blind on a bottle, but alas, it's not for me. There are certain individuals this may work well on. I am not one. First person to PM me will receive the rest of this rather ample sample (my apologies non-US basenoters, shipping gets very pricey on the international level).

    MAJOR EDIT: Wow! I'm having a serious 180 on this one. Throughout the day I've had it on and it's really growing on me. Very addictive and the smell has become so reassuring. I keep coming back to it, I even re-applied it and found the opening very different than before. I'm sorry, I have to keep this sample.

    How about that...Ambre Precieux making a comeback!

    Next up...


    This one's a winner. Here's my reaction: It is a subdued, more complex, and refined version of Le Male with some Licorice and Citrus. There's a touch of Body Kouros in it as well. Really nice. Boosh has talked so much about Histoires de Parfums Casanova 1725 that I'm sure this is what it is. And it's really good. As the drydown unfolds it achieves a smooth powdery vibe (sandalwood, lavender, and vanilla), not overdone at all, accented by almond. Great.

    It is...1725 Casanova. This is a good one. I have to wear it again and see if it's different enough from Le Male and Invasion Barbare to warrant a purchase (since I have those).

    If there was a lineage extending from Le Male, which increased in complexity and sophistication, it would go like this:

    Le Male >>>Hypnose>>>>>>>1725>>>Invasion Barbare


    Okay, Day 7's over.

    My nose is shot.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 9th October 2011 at 09:20 PM.

  52. #52

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    1725 is awesome possum. just placed an order for that directly from their website

  53. #53

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    If there was a lineage extending from Le Male, which increased in complexity and sophistication, it would go like this:

    Le Male >>>Hypnose>>>>>>>1725>>>Invasion Barbare


    Okay, Day 7's over.

    My nose is shot.

    you've forgotten Reflection Man!

  54. #54

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    john916, I've never tried Reflection Man. I'll have to sample it and see where it fits in the Le Male Complexity Lineage!

    Day 8....

    Orange and Cumin. Or Orange and B.O. depending on how you interpret it. Not bad. I like the Cumin note, but get very paranoid when I wear it, as so many others immediately associate it with strong body odor. My girlfriend's immediate reaction for example, "Ewwww. No. You smell like B.O. That's gross." I already own Declaration L'Essence, which I like, but barely wear, so I won't feel the need to add another cumin-centric scent to my wardrobe. The orange note is really well done in this, and smells very natural. I believe if the cumin were turned down a couple notches this would be a nice summer scent, but since it's not, I prefer Concentre D'Orange Verte for my Vitamin C fix.

    This one is...Bigarade Concentree by Frederic Malle. First person to PM me will receive a free sample, at least 1ml in a glass spray vial.

  55. #55

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Congrats to "finsfan" on winning the Bigarade Concentree sample.

  56. #56

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Day 8 Continued...

    Monday. October 10. 11:32 P.M.

    A small rash has developed on my wrist where I last applied Bigarade Concentre. I've probably lost essential skin oils due to my recent foray into sampling madness and am no longer protected from the likes of Cumin and Orange Blossom. Too late now.

    Next up...

    Medicinal in the opening. Reminds me of a cough drop, more specifically Chloraseptic, a sore throat spray with a numbing effect...however, it's not THAT pronounced. There appears to be some cinnamon, mint, cherry...hard to tell, it's very blended. What results is a kind of classy, subtle, altogether bland and sort of uninteresting office type of scent. It's nice, but doesn't do much for me. But I think this could be a great signature scent for a guy looking for something unobtrusive, with a nice, light quality to it. A quiet guy who goes about his business. Something about it reminds me of Egoiste, if Egoiste was super-watered down and stripped of some key ingredients. I don't know. It's okay.

    I'm curious to look up the note list for this one.

    This one is...Must de Cartier. Okay. I always wondered what Must smelled like. Now I know.

    PM me for the sample.

  57. #57

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Congrats to "Sculpture of Soul" on winning the Must de Cartier sample.


    ***********UPDATE**********

    I'm having a blast doing this, btw.

    13 Frags have been sampled so far. There's 10 more to go (I've forgotten what they are by now).

    The following frags have been nixed, and will not make it to the second round.

    Carnal Flower
    Musc Ravageur
    Red Vetyver
    Kouros
    Gendarme 20
    Bigarade Concentre
    Must de Cartier



    So far, the frags that have passed round one are...

    Frapin 1270
    Coromandel
    Taste of Heaven
    Straight to Heaven
    1725 Casanova
    Ambre Precieux


    I believe the ones I've most enjoyed are Ambre Precieux and 1725.

    Will round one continue today? I don't know. I have to see if the rest of my samples arrived when I get home (they're taking forever to get here).

  58. #58
    Dependent hobbes22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco CA
    Posts
    1,411

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Hmm, quite the turnaround on the Ambre Precieux, eh?

    Good to hear you're having a great time doing this, it's been quite interesting reading your updates - something I look forward to each day

  59. #59

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Hmm, quite the turnaround on the Ambre Precieux, eh?

    Good to hear you're having a great time doing this, it's been quite interesting reading your updates - something I look forward to each day
    Thanks, Hobbes. I appreciate it!

    Yeah, Ambre Precieux completely flipped on me. I ended up really liking it and it haunts me now. LOL. I want to put on more but I have to wait to round 2.

  60. #60
    Dependent hobbes22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco CA
    Posts
    1,411

    Default Re: Samples Have Arrived! Blind Sampling Madness! w/Giveaways!

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Thanks, Hobbes. I appreciate it!

    Yeah, Ambre Precieux completely flipped on me. I ended up really liking it and it haunts me now. LOL. I want to put on more but I have to wait to round 2.
    Jeez, you're waiting until round 2 until you wear any of these again? That is some discipline.

    I know that feeling when something just haunts you, and you can't wait to try it again. Definitely a good sign when you get that from a fragrance.

Similar Threads

  1. My samples arrived
    By Striven82 in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17th January 2009, 02:36 AM
  2. Blind Buys Arrived!!
    By jenson in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28th April 2008, 03:24 AM
  3. More Creed blind buys arrived yesterday...
    By GMF in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 16th February 2008, 02:39 PM
  4. A blind sampling of six colognes...
    By Carlos in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 7th January 2008, 06:01 PM
  5. My Samples Have Arrived
    By rb8s in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 5th January 2008, 12:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •