Code of Conduct

Default Scents labeled "summer frags" versatile enough to be (suprisingly) very good in winter... vice versa

Hi everybody!
    We, human beings, like and are quick to categorize things. It's the case about frags. Have you been very surprised by a scent labeled/marketed "summer" that proves to be very good, quite better, in winter (or why not, a seemingly "winter" one that rocks in summer)?
    My experience: I've worn at home Ambre Russe (twice) in the hot South-of-France summer. I did for fun, I wanted to "reconnect" myself with that wonderful scent I haven't worn since last winter: of course, because it's an oriental, a priori I would say a winter frag! I applied lightly, at a respectable distance, and on me it was a pleasant surprise, nothing heavy or cloying (I must admit, without going as far as to say AR will actually be "my" summer frag)
    What about you?

Default Re: Scents labeled "summer frags" versatile enough to be (suprisingly) very good in winter... vice v

I have worn "summer" fragrances at other times of the year and they work just fine for me whatever the season.

Default Re: Scents labeled "summer frags" versatile enough to be (suprisingly) very good in winter... vice v

My personal definition of a 'summer' frag is one that doesn't go off/sour when mixed with sweat, a serious consideration when you live in the desert. Thankfully, I don't have this problem with many, so it's one of those 'distinction without a difference' things for me. I wear pretty much anything, pretty much anytime.

I find them kinda weak for the winter, but i always prefer the heavy stuff

Very Irresistible Fresh Attitude is supposed to be a Summer fragrance but I cant imagine wearing it on a hot day... Once the opening of Grapefruit and Mint have worn off (and I dont find it all that fresh, more jarring, like brushing your teeth with minty toothpaste then drinking Grapefruit juice), the Coffee and woods drydown is much better suited to Winter.

Stop drinking the kool aid.

wear what you want when you want. Are you really going to let a bunch or marketing people (yes random strangers) tell you what to wear.

for swap/sale:

Definitely no distinctive limitation, it's pretty much open to the wearer

JOOP! Nightflight
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I wear what I want all year round. The heavy stuff can work well in summer, if sprayed lightly.

I agree with you guys, you have to feel free to wear want you want whenever you what. But sometimes it's not just a matter of corporate maketing. Even here, in some basenotes reviews you can read: "good summer frag", "better for office", "formal frag" and so on. Which means we can contribute to create that kind of "functionnal" bias.... even if reviews are based on personnal tastes and experiences.
    But what I was expecting - if I may - is kinda outstanding exemples from your wardrobe, some cases where you were quite KO by the versatility of the frag

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    JOOP! Nightflight
    Unbelievable during a cold winter.

I love wearing summery frags in the winter because they wear almost like sunshine, reminding me that summer will indeed return. Great mood lifter on a cold, dark day.

I feel like it's easier to wear a 'summer' frag in winter than to wear a winter frag in summer...

I know why people are saying it's just marketing/kool-aid but I enjoy the change of seasons. I swap clothes, frags, etc. It adds routine to my life.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

What fragrances are labelled "summer fragrances"? I've never seen the words "summer fragrance" or "for use only in high heat" printed on any fragrance box. Those are labels we as individuals add to fragrances, because even as a group on basenotes there's still considerable debate on the vast majority of fragrances if they belong to any particular season and if so, which one?

I'm becoming increasingly of the camp of "where whatever you want whenever you want" because even though some fragrances lend themselves better to certain climates, if you understand the fragrance and are discerning with the trigger you can wear just about anything in any weather. So it's hard to answer this question, because a label of "summer fragrance" is something you would have put on the fragrance yourself after purchase and if it works equally well in other climates, well then it never was just a summer fragrance to begin with right?

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I feel like it's easier to wear a 'summer' frag in winter than to wear a winter frag in summer...

I know why people are saying it's just marketing/kool-aid but I enjoy the change of seasons. I swap clothes, frags, etc. It adds routine to my life.
    I have to agree with this, but being in Southern California, I'll take anything that I can get when it comes to what we call 'seasons' here. I've worn winter frags in the summer, but it's very difficult to pull off in 80-degree weather. Usually one spray will do the trick.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Stop drinking the kool aid.

wear what you want when you want. Are you really going to let a bunch or marketing people (yes random strangers) tell you what to wear.
    You tell 'em Saif. ;-). Oh, and I agree.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidney_Falco View Post
    What fragrances are labelled "summer fragrances"? I've never seen the words "summer fragrance"
    Sometimes we see "summer edition" on the bottle, mostly on flankers... (from "a bunch of marketing people" lol)
    But I agree, our perception alongside with our skin, our mood... plays a huge part. That being said, does it mean that, objectively, there can be no "deadly" combination frag/weather? Thinking about one of the worst, sickly, scent/climate association you've ever experienced, for exemple?
    After that, I'll stop drinking the Kool-Aid

I think Ambre Sultan is incredible in summer.

But for the most part I definitely think fragrances are by and large season / climate /time of day specific.
    When its 30 celsius or more salads and lemonade are more appealing than stew and coffee. Same goes for my frags.