Code of Conduct

Default Struggling to Find a Good Winter Office Scent

Dear Basenoters,

I'm new to the site but have watched a lot of reviews on youtube and want to start a collection.

My priority at the moment is finding a scent that is good for work in the fall and winter, and I hope you can give me some tips on this.

I've tried a few things:

Boss Bottled and Chanel Allure Homme (original): something about these two (they remind me of each other with Allure having better longevity/more of this certain something) rubs me the wrong way--I think it is the strong pepper notes but I'm not too sure.

YSL L'homme: I like this scent but the projection and longevity are rather weak on my skin. It is inoffensive though which is a positive, perhaps a bit too boring though even for work.

YSL La Nuit de l'homme: I really enjoy this scent and like that it's longevity is a lot better than the original YSL L'homme. I'm not sure if it is too much for the office though.

Dior Homme (original): really not too sure what to make of this, I don't mind it but don't love it either.

Terre d'Hermes: I just turned 25 so I'm a bit young for this I think. I think this scent is a bit too mature for me for daily wear, and maybe less than office perfect.

Burberry London: I agree with a lot of reviewers that this is better for outdoors or holiday events, not really great for work, also has longevity issues

Any thoughts or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Default Re: Struggling to Find a Good Winter Office Scent

Just a couple of recommendations off the top of my head:

1. Rocabar (Hermes): This is pleasant in a way that won't offend people around you. (I.e., good for an office scent.) Coniferous green and slightly spicy top with a vanilla base that's sweet, but not too sweet. Longevity and projection are very good in my experience.

2. Moss Breches (Tom Ford): I think this has been discontinued, but you can still find it. This is a bit more adventurous than Rocabar, but certainly still wearable in an office context. It's also green, but darker than Rocabar, with herbal and honey notes. Drydown is somewhat sweet. Excellent longevity and good projection.

3. Chergui (Serge Lutens): Darker and more resinous than the other two, with notes of honey and amber. I find it a bit powdery as it dries down. Very good projection and longevity.

Finally, I'd just add that I don't experience Terre d'Hermes as an especially mature scent.

Thanks L'Incandescent. I have a sample of Chergui that I haven't tried out yet, so I'll see what I think of that. I will also try and get my hands on a Rocabar sample. I got a few "you smell like an old man" from the Terre d'Hermes which scared me a bit.

When people call a scent "old-man," what they often mean in my experience is that it's not the kind of clean/blue/sport fragrance that smells like men's shower gel. It's frustrating!

Also worth trying out: Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. Exactly what the name suggests, executed very well.

If budget is not an Issue, I suggest you - Creed Original Santal will do the trick.

Penhaligon`s Opus 1870.

Thanks, I will definitely try out these niche suggestions. Since I'm pretty new at this though, it would be great if you could give me your thoughts on some of the mainstream designer options as well eg YSL L'homme, as I suspect that's more the area I'll be making a purchase in this time around.

Aramis / Opium pour homme / Michael (Kors) for Men / Yatagan / Lagerfeld Classic / Sables / Habit Rouge / Heritage /

French Lover by Frederic Malle.

for swap/sale:

Tom Ford for Men Intense Tom Ford
    Grey Vetiver Tom Ford
    Bleu de Chanel Chanel
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Offrez-Lui

Givenchy's Xeryus Rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post
    Also worth trying out: Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. Exactly what the name suggests, executed very well.
    Be careful with this one in an office setting as it is a wicked sillage monstah ;')

Prada Amber pour Homme
    L'Instant Extreme (or original)
    Tom Ford Extreme

Habit Rouge by Guerlain
    Dior Homme Intense
    Encre Noire by Lalique
    Platinum Egoiste by Chanel

Platinum Egoiste is the ultimate 'I feel powerful and successful' fragrance in my opinion, and yes, I am aware how ludicrous that sounds.

Just find a Winter scent you like, apply an amount you think is acceptable, and if others comment it is too strong, apply less. Dont try and second guess what others will and will not find as too much. I regularly wear Body Kouros to work in Wintertime, its pretty strong stuff, and no one is bothered (on the contrary, I get people commenting on how good I smell).

What would work as a Winter scent for you kind of depends on how cold it gets in Winter where you are. If we are talking regular sub zero Celsius days, then going for Oriental scents would be typical advice.

Non exhaustive suggestions list, in no particular order - always try before you buy:
    Armani Code and Attitude, Paco Rabanne Black XS and 1 Million, Givenchy Pi, Play Intense and Very Irresistible Fresh Attitude, YSL Body Kouros and M7, Must de Cartier Pour Homme, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme, L'Occitance Eau des Baux, Caron Pour Un Homme, Versace The Dreamer, Joop Thrill and Jump, Lancome Hypnose Homme, Burberry Brit, Viktor&Rolf Antidote, Mont Blanc Individuel and Presence, D&G The One Gentleman, Diesel Only the Brave and Fuel for Life...

Should keep you busy
    Last edited by andym72; 5th October 2011 at 04:02 PM.

Sur la Plage

Caron L'Anarchiste
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Givenchy Pi, or Polo Double Black

Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    Platinum Egoiste is the ultimate 'I feel powerful and successful' fragrance in my opinion, and yes, I am aware how ludicrous that sounds.
    Completely agree!

Gucci PH2 is a beautiful comforting scent without being loud. In short, people may not love it but they won't dislike it either.

Chanel Allure Homme Sport
    Armani Aqua Di Gio
    Bvlgari Soir
    Bvlgari Eau De Vert
    Billy Jealousy Illicit
    Terre D'Hermes

Prada amber intense works for that.
    Chanel blue is very easy for people to like and innofensive for the office.
    If you want to spend more $ try GIT very versatile, very safe and smells like heaven.

I can't imagine that if you get into scents you'll only stick to only one for the office. I wore most anything to the office except for modern orientals, which often have a bit of a "I want to party feel" or "I'm on the hunt" feel about them.
    Regards,
    Renato

hmmm, I'll stick to designer easy to access and cheaper options...plus many of the rec's seem to be all over the place in terms of season. IMO I'd stick to gentle orientals...

Guerlain L'Instant
    D&G The One
    Michael Kors for Men
    Body Kouros

+1 maybe to
    Armani Code
    L'Occitance Eau des Baux

-1 for Opium, Rocabar, Yatagan and the likes - all far too dry and spicy

Sooo many rec's are WAY off...
    Paco Rabanne Black XS and 1 Million - WAY too loud for work
    Caron Pour Un Homme - too old
    etc.

Tom Ford Extreme
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    Tiffany for Men
    Guerlain L'Instant pH EDT

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is a great option. Classy and great smelling.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Thanks a lot Master-Classter.

And thanks everyone, really great to see so many responses! I will have to start sampling away.

I think Prada Amber Pour Homme works best in the fall/winter and is certainly a good option for the office.

If you think Terre d'Hermes smells too "old man" for the office, Denis, then run and hide from suggestions like Tiffany for Men, Bois du Portugal, Heritage, Aramis, and especially Michael Kors for Men. Holy cow, that last one is a strong tobacco scent with sillage to choke anyone within ten feet.

And if YSL La Nuit is too much for your idea of an office scent, Body Kouros will only make matters worse. If pepper notes rub you the wrong way, as you say, Opus 1870 will rub you hard and wrong.

I happen to love Bois du Portugal and Opus 1870, but I'm not 25 and you have different taste, so I won't recommend them.
    Last edited by MysteryBuff40; 6th October 2011 at 07:12 AM.

A boring aquatic or GIT.

Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Penhaligon`s Opus 1870.
    +2

Polite and reserved (which usually doesn't strike my fancy) yet completely beautiful and extremely well crafted. A perfect work scent IMO. And I personally think this would wear just fine in a work setting for any age (I'm also 25). Modern, yet not redundant or generic. Track it down and see for yourself.

A word to the wise though, I got a spoiled 5ml sample tester off of eBay, though I believe it was nothing devious by the seller so I won't mention their name, so I'd personally look for ways other than eBay to test it out.
    Last edited by Partario; 7th October 2011 at 04:10 PM.

Basenotes Plus

For the office in WINTER, my favorite is Opium PH EDP

I've started to use Gucci Nobile as an office scent, and have got some compliments (in my country you'll get them very rarely and if you get them, they really like the stuff you wear, it's not about being polite). One of my work mates seems to wear Polo Explorer and i think it suits him really well.