Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you mix scents?

I really like Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford but on it's own it lacks something for me so I mix it with Joop Thrill which seems to do it for me.

Default Re: Do you mix scents?

I personally don't as I enjoy each scent on its own merits but many Basenoters do and have favorable results like you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

In the past I never mixed scents because I enjoyed them all as they were. They had their personalities and I did not want to treat them disrespectful by mixing them.

Only recently - and being intrigued by Basenoters - I tried mixing perfumes, but all from the same house.
    I splash myself generously with Caron - Royal Bain de Champagne.

Then I dab Tabac Blond on my neck and chest. This way I get the unimitable Caron vanilla drydown + the leather note from Tabac Blond.

Instead of TB sometimes I use Poivre from a decant. Poivre also blends very well with Bellodgia, where it enhances the spicy note of carnation. I never found it easy to wear Poivre on its own.

I found this way of layering was very successful, as it adds a twist of wickedness to the perfumes.
    Last edited by Puma; 28th February 2014 at 11:05 PM.
    Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume.
    - Jean de Boufflers

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Try one spray of Neroli Portofino and then one spray of Tobacco Vanille over it. It's fantastic.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering - has anyone tried mixing scents by decanting portion of each scent into a decant and actually mixing them (as opposed to layering)? Wonder if the effects would be different from merely layering....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klaaon View Post
    Just wondering - has anyone tried mixing scents by decanting portion of each scent into a decant and actually mixing them (as opposed to layering)? Wonder if the effects would be different from merely layering....
    You can mix them in a decant. However, it is more difficult to find the right ratio. With spraying you can easily vary as you like.
    Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume.
    - Jean de Boufflers

Post Thanks / Like

I've only done it once or twice. Accidentally lol

Post Thanks / Like

it's all a matter of preference.

Me, I'm a purist. I do what I do. I let the perfumers do what they do. I don't fancy myself an artist. I wear it the way they designed it. Which is not to say I only buy one clothing designer top to bottom, but you know what I mean. Someone spent months or years crafting the creation, if i trust them I let them do their job. If I'm at a crappy restaurant, I request changes when ordering. When you're at a good restaurant, you know they've done the experimenting for you. I'd only layer if it were something I thought was junk or playing around with. With most of my niche stuff I let the artist express their idea and I tag along for the ride to see where they want to take me.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Member thinkingmagpie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klaaon View Post
    I have and still do sometimes. As Puma mentioned, finding the right ratio is the tricky bit but I enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like

Deliberate layering: not so much. Unwilling mixing from other scented body care/grooming/cosmetic products- slightly more often, though I tend to go more frequently either for the unscented ones or the matching scented ones, so as to get both more flexibility or a slightly increased longevity while choosing a fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

bbqer.

It's not like
    putting pineapple in curry where the end result is harmonious.

It's like putting bbq sauce on cheesecake.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I layer a few fragrances but mostly I appreciate them one at a time.

I usually mix fragrances when at home, never going out somewhere. When I go out of the house I stick with one fragrance but when I'm at home, sometimes I mix up fragrances just because I'm bored but usually I get severe olfactory fatigue when I do that and it's just a waste.

Post Thanks / Like

It is best to spay or dab them next to each other on your skin. Don't actually let the liquids mix on your skin, and never pour one into the other in the bottle.

The rationale is this: You like the way each one smells. You like the combination of the two aromas. You do not want to change the aroma of either, only smell them together.

If you mix the fragrances, the chemicals will react in an unpredictable way. The way chemistry works is that the electrons in their outer valances will recombine, sometimes making new chemicals that you do not expect to make.

Each perfume is carefully composed to remain as stable as it can be. That is why companies allow formulas to macerate, or mix together and develop, before they are considered finished. All the changing is done before the customer buys them. If you introduce new chemicals, it may smell great initially but turn bad over time, and that is a waste of two bottles of fragrance.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 2nd March 2014 at 01:39 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Never - I always purchase a fragrance because I like it the way it is and I wouldn't have the creative talent or imagination even if I had the inclination to experiment (which I don't).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    It is best to spay or dab them next to each other on your skin.

The rationale is this: You like the way each one smells. You like the combination of the two aromas. You do not want to change the aroma of either, only smell them together.
    I also do this. Most of the time I love the scent by itself because that's what I bought in the first place. However for some scents, it's so much fun to smell their simultaneous developments next to each other.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I generally don't mix scents, (mostly because I don't know which ones go together) but after reading this thread I tried EdB with Pure Havane giving me a Herod by PdM type effect

Very rarely, and never successfully I've mucked around with sometimes trying to up the sandalwood in something that I like by taking a sandalwood prominent scent and spraying on chest while wearing the other. But that is about it.

Default Do you mix scents?

Rarely.

Although this weekend, my wife suggest I spray some of her Serge Lutens carnation frag (that I can't spell) over the top of my Costume National Homme. She thought the pair smelled close to PdN Maharajah (which she likes as a room diffuser) but missing the lavender. One quick spray of Caron Pour Un Homme and she thought it was bang on I'm not convinced, but it did smell bloody good. I'm sure anything clove heavy could be used instead of the Serge Lutens to similar effect.

I once accidentally forgot I'd already put something on and layered Declaration Essence with Joop Thrill. The combo worked surprisingly well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by andym72; 3rd March 2014 at 10:46 PM.

Rarely

Post Thanks / Like

I mix all the time, no problems