Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain classics: What do they evoke to you?

Hi Guys,

I was trying to choose between some of the Guerlain classics recently (L'Heure Bleue, Shalimar, Mitsouko, Jicky etcetera), and I got to thinking about what associations and personalities each fragrance suggests for me- somewhat influenced of course, by its history and notes.

Mitsouko- for example- seems both passionate and introspective, while LHB is only the latter, and Shalimar is more 'extroverted'. Shalimar suggests to me winter snow, while Mitsouko is Autumn rain, and LHB is a cold foggy morning. LHB is quiet and haunting, a day spent with your own thoughts, Mitsouko is deep emotion, independence and strength, while Shalimar is sweeter, more dramatic.

Are there places or scenes that these perfumes remind you of? (for me, LHB is world (particularly train) travel, Mitsouko a country house/ garden in England, and Shalimar well-groomed Paris)
    What about Jicky, Chamade, Nahema, Vol de Nuit etcetera?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Guerlain classics: What do they evoke to you?

L'heure Bleue: a powdery, sweet-smelling glove, dress or wig shop in Paris during La Belle Epoque
    Mitsouko: a summery golf course or badminton court in the afternoon in the 1920's
    Shalimar (my favorite): a Creme brûlée in a crowded Paris Bistro
    L'attrape coeur: sweet violet candy on Easter Sunday

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Vol de Nuit is my personal favourite, and it seems very introverted, mysterious, clever, and I almost picture the Orient Express when I smell it. Not so much the journey, but the woodwork, leather luggage, even the brass hardware (which I imagine smelling cold and metallic). I can also smell perfumed, not-recently-washed skin (not body odor, just not fresh and soapy), hot tea, greenery blowing in through the windows, and warm breath. It smells very human to my nose...but I may just have strong associations with it.

I agree with Dane's vol de Nuit. The elegant section of the Orient express.
    Mitsouko dark, mysterious, and elegant.
    Nahema, instead, smells somewhat unguerlain, extrovert, over the top, red-lips.
    Chamade starts as a walk in a flower garden (possibly in a Parisian park) then evolves to a luminous dawn (or sunset).

cacio

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Great thread, Casism, and welcome to Basenotes (or, at least, de-lurking).

I enjoy reading everyone's impressions. All I can say at the moment is that I picture all of these as indoor scents, in a classic European architectural setting, in dim light -- no sunny countrysides. I imagine women being more clothed than not.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Mitsouko: It's Autumn, blustery and raw. She's walking in the woods, wrapped in cashmere and silk, trying to sort out her thoughts and make sense of her emotions. Her face reveals nothing.

L'Heure Bleue: It's dusk, the air is cool and mellow. She's standing at the huge, wide open floor to ceiling window, dressed in a long, soft wrap skirt and his sweater, trying to comfort herself with thoughts of him, but having to contend with the ache and longing these thoughts bring, too.

Shalimar: She's a pampered, cherished woman and she knows it. She leaves a faint trail of warm, sensuous something behind her that turns heads everywhere she goes. She loves the attention and the stir she causes but she has far too much class to acknowledge it.

Vol de Nuit: Far far away, in a hidden place built into a rock mountain, an old bed chamber carved from the stone with vaulted ceilings. Massive solid wood furniture, sumptuous fabrics, soft glow from the fireplace. He is kneeling on the bed, holding her shawl to his face, filling himself with her scent... but she's gone.

Almost any Gueralin, irrespective if female, male or unisex, discontinued or still in production:

Old World Parisian luxury

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Vol de Nuit is my personal favourite, and it seems very introverted, mysterious, clever, and I almost picture the Orient Express when I smell it. Not so much the journey, but the woodwork, leather luggage, even the brass hardware (which I imagine smelling cold and metallic). I can also smell perfumed, not-recently-washed skin (not body odor, just not fresh and soapy), hot tea, greenery blowing in through the windows, and warm breath. It smells very human to my nose...but I may just have strong associations with it.
    Love this description , Dane. Very accurate .

The Guerlain classics evoke such emotion in me - it's sometimes hard to talk about ,at least, coherently. Suffice to say, they are weighty reminders of good old times for me - bittersweet and heartachey, as they should be.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

This seems an odd question as I know people who wear most of these . There isn't one description that fits any of them. Mitsouko worn by a professional Indian lady who is very cold and distant.Jicky a bubbly lady who crafts .Vol de Nuit a middle aged not attractive woman who also crafts , she also wears Nahema and L'Heure Bleue.Some of the descriptions sound lovely but like romantic fiction. It's probably the nose , income and associations that determines a choice . I imagine the men and women who wear them are many types.

Blog Entries

Chamade - Spring
    Mitsouko - Autumn

I love Vol de Nuit, too, but I haven't tried it in parfum. The EDT is very sparkly and none of aldehydic fragrances feel introverted to me. They make me smile, invariably. Mitsouko, this lady is introverted. Passionate with a young passion, almost innocent passion of a saint (think of passion of Joane of Ark here), but introverted and somewhat reserved. Never repressed, but reserved, deliberate and silent where she could've said a lot.

Blog Entries

Nymph, I love your associations and writing! The images of Mitsouko we were conveying are very compatible, methinks!
    I am working on my Vol de Nuit. You're right, she's gone -- but I'm with her and seeing it from her point of view. Interesting that a lot of people on the thread describe VdN as somewhat distant. Are y'all talking about parfum or EDT?

Despite reformulation and inevitable packaging nips and tucks, I feel as if classic Guerlains carry DNA from earlier perfume generations. For me, they evoke a general feeling of nostalgia, and a sensory connection to the 19th and early 20th centuries. When Chamade, Après l'Ondée, Vol de Nuit, Jicky, Mitsouko and the rest touch my skin, it's as close as I get to joining, physically, with another time and place.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 7th October 2011 at 05:18 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Nymph, I love your associations and writing! The images of Mitsouko we were conveying are very compatible, methinks!
    I am working on my Vol de Nuit. You're right, she's gone -- but I'm with her and seeing it from her point of view. Interesting that a lot of people on the thread describe VdN as somewhat distant. Are y'all talking about parfum or EDT?
    With Guerlain, I tend to wear the parfum, though I also wear Shalimar EDT on occasion.

Great responses, I've enjoyed reading them. The Guerlain classics that I've tried are nostalgic for me also, evocative of indoor spaces, as Quarry mentions, or maybe outdoor spaces, too, but only as viewed from within a dim interior, window thrown open, 19th century and early 20th. For me they are introverted scents, turning the mind and imagination inward and conjuring up images from past eras and luxury unknown to most of us today, the luxury of time especially.

Mitsouko definitely autumnal.
    Chamade, yes I think spring, too.
    Shalimar, winter.
    I want to assign one to summer, maybe Après L'Ondée, but I think maybe that is still spring, so I don't know.
    Oh yes, Jicky is summer.

Wow, these are great, guys- it's apparent that while there are definitely common themes with these frags, they mean something different to the wearer (I guess it's a bit like the body chemistry individuality thing.) Amazing description Nymph, and I think you nailed Mitsouko- it does seem to be a contrast of emotion and outward calm.
    Just to add- is there any music or literature that reminds you of these scents?

I'll try to add music:

Mitsouko: If you haven't seen the movie "Himalaya", you're missing out. This part of the soundtrack "sounds" like Mitsouko, to me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nFgH...eature=related

L'Heure Bleue always wafts by when I hear this piece from Yiruma, called "Moonlight":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99GyFmnH59s

Vol de Nuit sounds like this classic:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9muzyOd4Lh8

And this fits Shalimar to a T:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjHkj-uSt_Y

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    ... it's as close as I get to joining, physically, with another time and place.
    Nostalgie, that's a lovely way of expressing something I've felt and I expect what others have sensed even if we didn't put it into words.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

In the sea of endless fruity florals, I offer these:

Shalimar: pure oriental elegance. The ultimate classic.

Chamade: a floral that is a classic and not too contemporary.

L'Heure Bleue: a powdery floral for everyday.

Apres L'Ondee: a fresh eau in the manner of the Belle Epoque. Distant and quaint in a good way. (I also love Insolence, too.)

Then again, I adore Jicky, Mouchoir de Monsieur, Habit Rouge (all forms), Vetiver and Coriolan!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Welcome casism What a charming and thought provoking thread!
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!