Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is Tuscan Leather an 'attractive' fragrance?

Hi people,

I'm a big fan of Tom Ford frags, although to be honest I'm still not much more than a beginner at this game in terms of knowledge. Tuscan Leather was a fragrance that caught my eye some time ago. I know that it's fairly well regarded, and indeed is considered one of the best of the Private Blends, broadly speaking.

At first though, I have to say I was definitely underwhelmed by it. Over time, I've tried hard to like it, and I'm getting there - I enjoy it now, I like the hint of raspberry in it and think there may be a place for it in my collection (I'm wrestling with a purchase here, as you can probably tell! I've spent a fortune on the PB's already so want to be sure of this one). However, even though it's growing on me, I find it hard to believe that this could be called an 'attractive' fragrance - what I mean by that is, I'd happily wear it for my own enjoyment, but I wouldn't consider for a moment wearing it on a date, or in any situation where I'd want my scent to make a favourable impression on any present females! I just can't see this frag as a compliment getter.....at least, not in terms of the opposite sex (or the same sex for that matter if that should be the intention).

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Is Tuscan Leather an 'attractive' fragrance?

Don't know... I don't think so. I've only worn it once, i have some ml's left to keep wearing it for a while, but I think that, as a leather prominent fragrance, there are more competent "crowd pleasers" as Cuir Ottoman or even Knize Ten.

In my opinion, Tuscan Leather is a bit hard to wear, quite potent but not very attractive.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll smell like a real man. If a woman doesn't automatically bow to your superior alpha male dominance while wearing this scent - make your excuses and leave.

Leathers can be challenging at first. Tuscan Leather is a straightforward, uncompromising leather, so it takes time getting used to. Perhaps you can start with other ones, as suggested by Postumo, either sweeter, milder like Cuir ottoman (or 1740), or butch but complex ones like Knize Ten. Then you can move on to the even more "alpha-male", as per buddy, (or alpha-female, as it applies) such as Bandit, Rien, Oud Cuir d'Arabie. Note that Bandit is marketed to women, and it appears that some men find particular types of enjoyment with such women.

cacio

Well put Cacio. You nailed it.

A little off-topic: would you consider Rien an Alpha-Male scent? I've heard it's kinda strange, but never alpha-male

I think Leather Oud by Dior is wearable and I dont really like leathers.

I wouldn't call it a terribly seductive fragrance, that would fall more into the Tobacco Vanille/Noir de Noir category. What TL is though is the classiest of the PB line, is decidedly masculine, not at all overpowering and cloying, and one of the best leather scents available. Definitely give it a full wearing, it's a top quality scent.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    In my opinion, Tuscan Leather is a bit hard to wear, quite potent but not very attractive.
    Thanks. Although as I said I get some personal enjoyment from it, this pretty much mirrors my original thoughts.

Not attractive to me either.

This is one that gets more attractive as the day goes on. It starts out rather harsh, though the raspberry helps to lighten it up some. But as the day goes on, the leather turns into a wonderful, soft glowing aura. It's almost buttery smooth in its effect and I've noticed that it lingers well into the next morning when I first wake up. It's still quite present at this point, though definitely more of a skin scent at this point... but as such, this is where I find it most attractive. It's the only one I liked enough to get a full flacon of.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I find Tuscan Leather rather attractive! Loved it from the first time I sampled it! Previous posters are correct too; leathers can be difficult at first; for me anyway! Tuscan Leather just did something for me!So smooth! At times,I have layered it with a touch of Molinard's Vanille! I enjoy this combination! Works very well IMO! May want to try that or even layer it with Tobacco Vanille?
    Cheers
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

TV & TL work very well together.

Going back to Postumo's question, I think Rien is not as in your face as, say, Bandit, or even Azuree. These two blast you with a hit of confidence and assertiveness right from the start. Rien instead is very radiant, bitter, "naked", so to speak, and to me has an almost disturbing aspect which certainly suggests scariness and violence. Whether you want to call it alpha-male or psycho-killer is debatable. In any case, you should try it when you have access to ELdO.

cacio

I quite like it, but there are no attraction for the others.
    Girlfriend HATED
    Average joe tend to prefer light aquatics

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post

. Over time, I've tried hard to like it, and I'm getting there - I enjoy it now, I like the hint of raspberry in it and think there may be a place for it in my collection (I'm wrestling with a purchase here, as you can probably tell! I've spent a fortune on the PB's already so want to be sure of this one). However, even though it's growing on me, I find it hard to believe that this could be called an 'attractive' fragrance - what I mean by that is, I'd happily wear it for my own enjoyment, but I wouldn't consider for a moment wearing it on a date, or in any situation where I'd want my scent to make a favourable impression on any present females! I just can't see this frag as a compliment getter.....at least, not in terms of the opposite sex (or the same sex for that matter if that should be the intention).

Any thoughts?
    Not all perfumes are considered an acquired taste. Seems like youre putting to much effort into liking it.
    Its ok not to like something.

Because something doesn't appeal to you , you find it surprising other regard it highly?
    People have diffent tastes.... Im confused. You're confusing.

for swap/sale:

Depends who's wearing the frag as a scent is just something that compliments the wearer it's not a pheromone bomb. If you are confident and like the fragrance then it will enhance the qualities you already have.

When I bought Tobacco Vanilla, the SA (a gorgeous woman) told me that she layered Tuscan Leather with Tobacco Vanilla. It sounded strange, but i think i'll try it someday.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

The answer may not come from others' views, but from how you feel about it when you sample it at a later time.

I found TL very attractive (to my nose) and one of the best smelling leather frags right from the first sniff.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I really like TL at first. I bought a bottle. However, it is pretty much stright forward and non dimensional and I got tired of it quickly. I traded it. I prefer Knize Ten, Bel Ami, and Derby much more as leather scents. I would not cal TL attractive.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

I think as leathers go it is quite attractive and soft.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Not all perfumes are considered an acquired taste. Seems like youre putting to much effort into liking it.

Because something doesn't appeal to you , you find it surprising other regard it highly?People have diffent tastes.... Im confused. You're confusing.
    No. I don't think this is what I said. It certainly wasn't what I meant.

I like the fragrance. I just didn't think it would be a huge compliment getter. That it what I was trying to ascertain.

Although slightly hard to wear, I think it's a gorgeous fragrance. Very elegant to me, not a jeans and tshirt kind of fragrance by any means.

I like it quite a bit. Still, I asked some female coworkers their opinion of it and they didn't care for it, for whatever that's worth-- I suppose they don't speak for all women. But still, I asked 5 different girls and none of them really thought much of it, and they're always pretty honest.

No. I don't think this is what I said. It certainly wasn't what I meant.

I like the fragrance. I just didn't think it would be a huge compliment getter. That it what I was trying to ascertain.
    How can one determine what's a compliment getter ?
    As I said everyone has different tastes.

for swap/sale:

"Compliment getters" have to be smelled by others to get a compliment, so obviously the first requirement is that the fragrance in question has good projection, and Tuscan Leather has great projection. That said, I have never been complimented while wearing a leather fragrance. They are challenging for most people, and are actually the worst selling type of fragrance category made. So I think it's safe to say the majority of people out there do not like the smell of leather fragrances. And that's why there's so few of them on the shelves.
    You want compliments, wear a gourmand.

Tuscan Leather is attractive if you're a man over 50 looking to attract a woman over 50, then go for it. Otherwise, I would seriously consider using this in my car to keep that 'new car smell' going on.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Although slightly hard to wear, I think it's a gorgeous fragrance. Very elegant to me, not a jeans and tshirt kind of fragrance by any means.
    This is a perfect example of YMMV, as I think its a perfect jeans and sweater scent on an early fall day. At a football game for example, as I've done several times now.

Sur la Plage

IMO, yes it is.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    This is one that gets more attractive as the day goes on. It starts out rather harsh, though the raspberry helps to lighten it up some. But as the day goes on, the leather turns into a wonderful, soft glowing aura. It's almost buttery smooth in its effect and I've noticed that it lingers well into the next morning when I first wake up. It's still quite present at this point, though definitely more of a skin scent at this point... but as such, this is where I find it most attractive. It's the only one I liked enough to get a full flacon of.
    Wowzers! I couldn't agree more +1

I think it's relatively attractive, yes.

Test it under drydown conditions with very honest people. Not my cup of tea, but I didn't let it dry down. Worth a second look.

Just the name alone repulses me. It sounds like it would be overpowering and metallic. /:

Hmmmm. Good mix of opinion here! Thanks to all.

I don't buy my fragrances based upon anything other than whether I like it or not. If I like it, then it makes no difference to me if anyone else does; and if I don't like it, it makes no difference to me how many others disagree. Spending time and money trying to buy what you guess others might find attractive is a waste of both.

I have been wearing TL for the past week and I must say I am pleasantly surprised. A very rich and elegant smell that exudes class. So yes, TL is attractive, but the person wearing it will also determine how attractive any scent will be.

I agree a bit with Kevin Guyer. If compliments are what you seek, wear an aquatic or one of the bubblegum gourmands.

Tusan Leather is not the sort to garner compliments, but it will be noticed. Some will like it and some will not. Kevin is probably right that leathers are among the least favored fragrances.

I agree with what everyone says about leather and compliments. And I wear what counts as "compliment getters" on these forums. However, I have only been complimented on two fragrances in my entire life: Opus 1870 (I know, strange right?) and Tuscan Leather.

I have been complimented a few times recently while wearing Tuscan Leather and Sycomore, but from women over 40. Younger women have found TL "vile" and Sycomore "disgusting". Thankfully my wife adores both.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I agree a bit with Kevin Guyer. If compliments are what you seek, wear an aquatic or one of the bubblegum gourmands.

Tusan Leather is not the sort to garner compliments,
    but it will be noticed. Some will like it and some will not. Kevin is probably right that leathers are among the least favored fragrances.
    They aren't, at least not in this case. I wouldn't be buying this fragrance for it's compliment-attracting qualities. As a relative beginner, I was simply testing out my initial impressions against more experienced opinion. In this case, it seems I was correct in my thoughts.

It smells like the interior of a luxury car and Cocaine, so yes

Quote Originally Posted by leociccone View Post
    Just the name alone repulses me. It sounds like it would be overpowering and metallic. /:
    Yet it's neither of those things.

i tested many private blend tom fords yesterday and these was one of my favorites also loved noir de noir,oud wood,tabaco vanilla.
    i find these fragarance super unique you will be different and need two be confortable with it just like it hapens with the serge lutens fragrances.

How can one determine what's a compliment getter ?
    As I said everyone has different tastes.
    spot on Saif!!

some are blindly struggling to be the Lord of tastes when they aren┤t even able to distinguish colours.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2

Because something doesn't appeal to you , you find it surprising other regard it highly?
    People have diffent tastes.... Im confused. You're confusing.

I blind bought it and because i paid such hefty amount i forced myself to like it . But for sure it was not cup of my tea. It was seriously nauseating and gave me such an headache that i had to sell it for half the price. Never again my life i will blind buy an expensive fragrance.
    Even if someone gifts me Tuscan leather i would be more than happy to pass it to the next individual for free .

Thanks. Although as I said I get some personal enjoyment from it, this pretty much mirrors my original thoughts.
    Is is very strong, so experiment with what works for you.

Two sprays for me is enough.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I have a small decant and I have to say I am not a fan either. I wore it today because there is a lot of love for it here so I wanted to see if I was missing something. I'm not. I get more rough cowhide than smooth, supple leather and for rugged leather I still prefer Tauer's Lonestar Memories. Tuscan Leather gets points for potency and longevity but when you don't really like the scent, those aren't positive attributes. I don't hate it, but I certainly don't like it.

That is why taste is so subjective. I am a huge fan of Tuscan Leather. I ponder sometimes about what role age difference plays in scents. I am not looking for compliments but I also do not go out clubbing anymore. I have had people of all ages come over uninvited to look or ask about my tattoos. Like the scents I choose my tattoos are strictly for me.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Tuscan Leather is amazing, I absolutely love it.

Basenotes Junkie

[QUOTE=chili_willi;3064596]I have a small decant and I have to say I am not a fan either.

I get more rough cowhide than smooth, supple leather and for rugged leather I still prefer Tauer's Lonestar Memories.

Sounds like you may be a fan of Bel Ami then. Try a sample.

no woman Ive ever had smell it has said something good about it. Every female says its terrible. Take that with a grain of salt.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by str8gahbidge View Post
    no woman Ive ever had smell it has said something good about it. Every female says its terrible. Take that with a grain of salt.
    Hmmm. Although I personally liked it, I remember the female SA recommended to get something else in Tom Ford's line. I personally thought it was a Bad-azz.

Basenotes Plus

^^^ thinking about my post that I just made... Thank you. I'm getting a bottle. I like it. I think it's amazing. It's a man's scent.

Is a good fragrance but not attrative

It is an incredibly good fragrance IMO and I am glad to own it. Since a few have mentioned age as a factor I am 28 for what it's worth.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

Guys, just keep in mind that the OP was asking for responses to this question three years ago. Do keep an eye on the dates of threads so as not to necro a conversation in which the OP has (hopefully) received their answer

With that said, there's no harm in continuing a "is Tuscan Leather a) attractive b) not attractive" but I'd invite people to develop rationale rather than simply stating their opinion of yes/no. That way, if the OP is still working through his decision to purchase a bottle three years later, he'd have more grounding to stand on.
    Last edited by deadidol; 7th February 2014 at 04:56 PM.

search functions....damned if ya do...damned if ya dont. lol I didnt even notice the dates. haha

Quote Originally Posted by str8gahbidge View Post
    search functions....damned if ya do...damned if ya dont. lol I didnt even notice the dates. haha
    Ha! Something's way off with the search function right now! It's all good

The question was posed 3 years ago, but is a good general question and IMO, I don't find this attractive. Perhaps this will help someone else who runs across it in the future
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    The question was posed 3 years ago, but is a good general question and IMO, I don't find this attractive. Perhaps this will help someone else who runs across it in the future
    Totally agree!

To me Tuscan Leather is unattractive, so if the OP had me in their sites, then they'd need to try again

The problem I have with it is less about the scent itself, and more that there are simply much better options available. TL's goal seems to be extreme volume, and it accomplishes this through the use of a fistful of severe chemicals with a slight safraleine type tinge to them. Given the fact that that's all it really does might appeal to someone who's after a screaming linear scent that won't fail to make peoples' eyes water , but there are so many leather scents out there that are more developed and less obnoxiously screechy, IMO. Cuir Ottoman, Blackbird, M (in small doses), Knize Ten, Cuir de Russie, Sarrasins.

P.S. Has anyone smelled Grand Cuir? An insanely animalic take on the genre.

No.