Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Is Tuscan Leather an 'attractive' fragrance?

Stop it, deadidol, you're killing me! LOL Grand Cuir sounds like it overlaps Knize Ten territory, care to compare/contrast them?

I have said it before, but to stay on topic: I don't care for Tuscan Leather, though I've tried again and again. I don't like the oregano/basil, which is too prominent. And there are many better leather fragrances; to deadidol's list I'll add Rien, Leather Oud, Cuir Mauresque, Dzing! and Bandit.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Basenotes Junkie

Getting good feedback from ladies on Tuscan Leather. They find it "manly and good" as they claim. Tobacco Vanille repulses pretty much everyone, and it's not only me. Gave a 50 ml to my brother, and while he likes it, he gets pretty bad comments on it. It might not be appropriate for Norway to smell like a vanilla candle? God knows ... but the fact remains that Tuscan Leather is well appreciated on me, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    The question was posed 3 years ago, but is a good general question and IMO, I don't find this attractive. Perhaps this will help someone else who runs across it in the future
    I concur!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    No.
    Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    Stop it, deadidol, you're killing me! LOL Grand Cuir sounds like it overlaps Knize Ten territory, care to compare/contrast them?
    Grand Cuir is way more filthy! I don't own it, but I've sniffed it a few times at Scent Bar. It's a laughable amount of civet over a raunchy leather. One of these days I'll try some on and see how it goes.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by surileo View Post
    Even if someone gifts me Tuscan leather i would be more than happy to pass it to the next individual for free .
    And there would be plenty of people willing to take it off your hands, I'm sure!!

I personally love TL, it's in my top 10, and one of the more enjoyable leather scents. It's soft and sensual, very modern, not dirty-butch like some other leathers (which I also enjoy). Compliment getter? I give myself compliments every single time I wear it, so yes, absolutely, it gets lots of compliments!!

Tuscan Leather is loved by the ladies I'm around. It's not a harsh leather scent imo, but more of a soft suede, with a hint of berry in the background. One of the sexiest manliest fragrances I've ever been able to put my nose on. Now, if your looking for something unisex and soft, then this isn't for you. IMO, this is a man's fragrance or rather a gentlemen's fragrance. It exudes masculinity, sophistication, and confidence. Add in the fact that TL has outstanding longevity and projection, and this is why it's in my top 2.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

This one is just not my cup of tea. I think the opening is very harsh. You get a very strong, smokey, tarry leather. I don't get any of the said saffron, Jasmin, or raspberry. It does lighten up after a couple of hours, and you get a slight hint of raspberry, but still a lot of smokey leather. My wife's said it reminded her of cigarettes in an ash tray. So I am not a big fan of this one......glad I only got a 5ml decant.

Personally, it's a poor harsh leather but makes for a good fragrance. But no, it is not beautiful.

Never worn or tested it, but from what I have discussed with fragrance-enthusiast friends and acquaintances, its is a quite likely compliment getter, since almost anyone tended to define is as "one of the most superb leather scents".

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Grand Cuir is way more filthy! I don't own it, but I've sniffed it a few times at Scent Bar. It's a laughable amount of civet over a raunchy leather. One of these days I'll try some on and see how it goes.
    Oh wow! That sounds really good.
    Of course, I love 'em filthy dirty...

Back on topic. TL is not one of my favorite leathers. As stated by others, there are better, more natural, more complex leathers out there.
    But at the same time, I appreciate TL for what it is. I particularly love the raspberry note. I think it works really well with the leather.
    I wish it were used more often.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I don't like TL by itself but layer it with Creed Aventus and WOW!!!! Just tried that today and it was turning heads left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    And there would be plenty of people willing to take it off your hands, I'm sure!!

I personally love TL, it's in my top 10, and one of the more enjoyable leather scents. It's soft and sensual, very modern, not dirty-butch like some other leathers (which I also enjoy). Compliment getter? I give myself compliments every single time I wear it, so yes, absolutely, it gets lots of compliments!!
    Tuscan Leather, Soft? wow. Probably not many in the world would say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Never worn or tested it, but from what I have discussed with fragrance-enthusiast friends and acquaintances, its is a quite likely compliment getter, since almost anyone tended to define is as "one of the most superb leather scents".
    Never do a blind buy. Test it atleast 3 to 4 times before buying it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by surileo View Post
    Tuscan Leather, Soft? wow. Probably not many in the world would say that.
    Soft as in feel, structure, vibe (suede vs hard leather hide), not in projection. It is quite strong and definitely uber long lasting.

True story: I wore TL last night to a fun place for dinner with friends (Circa 59 in Palm Springs). We were sitting in the outside dining area, with a light breeze, warm evening, enjoying our cocktails and appetizers. This never happens.... not one, but TWO people came up to me during dinner to ask what fragrance I was wearing. They were both sitting a good 15-20 feet away. So yes, you could say it projected very well (or maybe the light breeze helped?). One of these people made me chuckle a little, because just yesterday this topic came up in another post ( http://www.basenotes.net/threads/375...t-Trip-to-Saks ) - he said whatever I was wearing was awfully familiar to him, yet he couldn't quite put his finger on it, just had to come up and say hi and that he really liked the fragrance. See the referenced post, item #2. The other person was a woman in her 30's. So this goes to prove TL is liked by both sexes, and can get you compliments when you least expect them (I very rarely get compliments on fragrances, so to get two in one evening was definitely unusual).

And whoever said TL is "poor harsh leather" - have you tried many other leathers? TL is decidedly on the side of the LEAST harsh leathers out there. If you want harsh, butch, dirty, oily leather, and smell like an auto mechanic - try Knize Ten. I love it, but it's definitely a lot more harsh and dirty. TL is the complete opposite of that. It's the finest, cleanest suede/soft leather money can buy. Nothing harsh about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceptive View Post
    I don't like TL by itself but layer it with Creed Aventus and WOW!!!! Just tried that today and it was turning heads left and right.
    This

I got a nice compliment from an attractive alt- indy-rock type of woman when I was wearing a sample of TL, so I guess it just depends who you come into contact with...

As for this however:

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I really love leathers, but this one was just too much for me... on my skin it left a sort of halitosis halo that simply would not depart. It didn't smell like Quorum, but it immediately gave me that vibe, as if I had been transported back to a motel room in the 70s... don't get me wrong, I could see how some hard core leather lovers would like this scent, but on me... I just couldn't warm up to it.

Lightbulb Re: Is Tuscan Leather an 'attractive' fragrance?

I've found this one to be a polarizing scent. In other words, you run the gamut of hate vs love on this one. Most folks seem to experience both positive and negative extremes in reaction. I like Tuscan Leather quite a bit but I recognize that it's not one of those almost universally liked fragrances. Many have summed this up quite well in that it's a subjective measurement. So, because I like it, I'll continue to wear it. And, when I want to wear something that is thought of as universally pleasing, I have others in my collection that fit the bill quite well.
    Last edited by ItalianoVero; 12th February 2014 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    Getting good feedback from ladies on Tuscan Leather. They find it "manly and good" as they claim. Tobacco Vanille repulses pretty much everyone, and it's not only me. Gave a 50 ml to my brother, and while he likes it, he gets pretty bad comments on it. It might not be appropriate for Norway to smell like a vanilla candle? God knows ... but the fact remains that Tuscan Leather is well appreciated on me, at least.
    Again, your mileage may vary. I would have imagined it to be the exact opposite but again, everyone has different tastes.

I am wearing this today. Even though this has been in my wardrobe a long time it always surprises me with how much I enjoy it. To me it is an "attractive scent". However that is how my taste runs. Leather Oud is another of my favorites. All subjective. I have a problem with saying something is bad because it is not one's taste. If an all black Harley is not your cup of tea and you like a red crotch rocket does that make the Harley bad? If you like a brown leather jacket and I like black is black leather no good? I don't enjoy certain scents but I can appreciate them if they are well made and the ingredients top notch.
    Last edited by Mrnybluesman; 12th February 2014 at 06:02 PM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..