Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Multi-Cologne users: what size cologne do you purchase?

I'm getting ready to purchase a 3.4 ounce bottle of Chanel Allure Homme Sport because I love this cologne and it has all the notes that I've been hoping to find.

I've always been a one cologne guy, but after finding basenotes I've decided that I would like to own and use more than one. THANKS A LOT!!! I want to do this not only for the collecting aspect, but also so I don't get board with what I'm using when I've still got half a bottle left. So after I purchase the Allure Sport I'm also planning to buy several other cheaper colognes to add the variety mentioned above.

My question is: when you start collecting/puchasing numerous colognes, do you typically get a 3.4 ounce, 1.7 ounce, 1.0 ounce, .5 ounce, etc. bottle?

Thanks for any and all input.

TripleB

Default Re: Multi-Cologne users: what size cologne do you purchase?

1.7 or 1oz are good sizes, but we always are tempted to buy the bigger ones

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    1.7 or 1oz are good sizes, but we always are tempted to buy the bigger ones
    Yea, that's my thinking as well. The 3.4 ounce is typically the better deal as far as price per ounce, but if you have 4 or more colognes it looks like the 1.7oz or 1.0oz would last for quite a while.

TripleB

I always go for the 3.4oz, just greedy I guess. ^^

I started off buying 3.4 oz, but once I got more than 10 bottles I realized that I was gonna have a lifetime supply in no time, so I started picking up 1.7 oz bottles.

I have eight big bottles and two smaller ones. From now on I'd definitely prefer to buy the smaller ones because I get bored of most of them.

I used up my whole 1.7oz bottle of Allure Sport...so If I could go back in time I would've bought the 3.4oz. For me I will buy the large bottle of something if I know that I will wear it a lot...for example Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil is $125 for the large. The 1.7oz is $90. If I were to buy the small 2 different times it would be $180! It's a $55 savings to buy the large in the long-run.

I'll buy the small bottle if I know it's a fragrance I'll only wear once in a while or just something I want to add to my collection

I buy 3.4s and then if friends want decants of something they like etc I always feel I have surplus to share around

Big Bottles. 3.4 oz, but if not available this size the nearest to this. I think only have a couple of 1 oz bottles.
    Cannot help picking up bigger bottle when purchase, but I would say that the most useful to collect is medium size, or nearest to 1.7 oz.

regards

Always 100ml.

for swap/sale:

100ml or greater is my standard rule.

Judging by your previous posts and how selective you are, I don't think you will be one amassing a collection of dozens of different fragrances. If I had to guess, you'll probably only have a few at a time, each one carefully researched and selected so for you I'd definitely recommend going the 3.4oz route at minimum just considering it's more cost effective and you'll probably go through a bottle faster than someone who has a much larger collection

3.4oz is usually what I go for myself barring special circumstances (ie I see a fragrance I really like for cheap at a Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls type store and 1.7oz is the only size they have)

3.4 oz or over- out of mere practical reasons, considering the quantity and frequency of scents worn

Whatever seems to be available/a good deal. Depends if it is a blind buy or the purchase of a perfume I like/love also.

Im greedy so I'll always go for 100ml or larger!

The only problem with anything over 100ml is not being allowed to bring them on planes.

Blog Entries

5ml decants of those I am trying for the first time, or that I'm unsure about.

10ml decants of those I want to have around for occasional wear.

30ml or 50ml bottles of those I like, and wear more regularly

100ml bottles of those that I love, and never want to be without.

2ml for samples

Full bottes in 30 ml, 50 ml and 100ml, according to my likes and wallet, and availability.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by TMA View Post
    Im greedy so I'll always go for 100ml or larger!

The only problem with anything over 100ml is not being allowed to bring them on planes.
    Solution: take a zip-lock bag with 25+ atomizers in them. Works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney_Falco View Post
    Solution: take a zip-lock bag with 25+ atomizers in them. Works for me!
    Yes, that really is the best solution I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    5ml decants of those I am trying for the first time, or that I'm unsure about.

10ml decants of those I want to have around for occasional wear.

30ml or 50ml bottles of those I like, and wear more regularly

100ml bottles of those that I love, and never want to be without.
    This is the best way to think in terms of collection, use and cost purposes IMO.

I'm soon to place an order for 40 x 5ml decants. Alongside the other decants, samples and full bottles I already have and those I'm still to buy, it should take me years to use them all up. Any that end up being used excessively, I'll look to buy a 50ml bottle of, but I honestly can't imagine having a 150+ collection full of 100ml bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney_Falco View Post
    Judging by your previous posts and how selective you are, I don't think you will be one amassing a collection of dozens of different fragrances. If I had to guess, you'll probably only have a few at a time, each one carefully researched and selected
    True...so very true

Right now I have: Chanel Allure Homme Sport, Acqua di Gio, Calvin Klein Crave, Paris Hilton for Men, Azzaro Chrome, and Rue21 Black. I do want to add a couple 'warmer' colognes to my collection...but yes, a couple dozen is probably out of the question. Although I also collect tennis racquets and currently have 121...sometimes when I start collecting items, it's tough to stop.

TripleB

Anyone have a collection of 8oz bottles? I like how they look, but I suppose it would be a bit much if you have more than two scents that you alternate between.

1.7 is my usual go to.

I have a slight OCD so I usually go for 3.4s. 1.7s is about right though.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    30 ml, 50 ml and 100ml, according to my likes and wallet, and availability.
    Same here

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Generally 100ml (or 125ml, if that is available), though I will get smaller sizes if the cost per ml isn't drastically different. I like the larger size because if I eventually tire of it I can either gift it to someone (usually someone who doesn't have many fragrances and will consequently use it up quickly) or else try to sell it.

I prefer the 1.7oz unless it's something that I really like.

Probably the only time I'll ever buy something bigger than 1.7 is if I can get a VERY steep discount on a larger bottle or if it only comes in a larger size.

According to this post your an get about 300 sprays from a 1.7 oz bottle. If I use a fragrance more than that, I'm perfectly find buying another bottle.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/172...prays-are-in-a....

Generally the smallest which is a 50 ml or 1.7 oz. Lately I have been buying traveler sizes (.5 oz-1.0 oz) when I can. It makes sense if I don't plan to wear often or require much juice. It also affords you the option of trying more frags that interest you. I am at that point where most designer frags do nothing for me so I have been revisiting some classics and trying upscale scents from perfume houses. Can't blind buy bottles of those or you would go broke quickly. So for me I am returing to sampling more than anything as I have a wardrobe of fragrances to wear. I don't consider myself a collector. Fragrance is to be worn not put on the shelf and looked at.

I buy the bigger bottle b/c it's usually $20 or $30 more but you get twice the cologne. I'll never use it all up, but hey, I can use it as expensive room freshener or send samples to friends. In fact, I bought the big bottle of D&G Pour Homme a few years ago and have hardly used it. It has since been reformulated so I have what could possibly be a lifetime supply of it now
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Usually 100ml. More to share.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

moar

I always get 3.4 just due to simple arithmetic. Why buy a 1.7 for 33.99 when I can get a 3.4 for 48.99. If a 1.7 was exactly half the price of a 3.4 I would get a 1.7.

I like to own a wide variety and try new ones so I tend to buy smaller sizes.

I only buy 100ml if it's something i know will be spraying a lot of- either because I wear it often or because it is a light or short-lived scent or if i get a really good deal on that size.

I buy a lot of samples and decants

I don't worry about trying to pay least per milliliter-rather, I try to maximize the variety of frags i can own for my budget.

50 ml or a decant if it has similar undertones to a bottle that I already own, otherwise I go 100ml.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I used to purchase the big 3.4 bottles... and I totally regret it. I'll never finish them and I often get bored of them quickly. While it is cheaper per ml, I recommend purchasing 1.7 oz bottles... if you finish 50% of a 1.7 oz bottle, than it is 3.4 oz bottle worthy. That's my new rule of thumb.. so I try to purchase 1.7 oz bottles now.
    Top 5:
    1) La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    2) Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3) Royal Oud by Creed
    4) One Million by Paco Rabanne
    5) Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

I think buying a 3.4 (or a larger size bottle than necessary) is the equivalent of the "buy one get one 50% off" sale. It's a way to make you pay more than you would for something you don't want. 1.7s are more than enough for me, and it certainly should be for anyone trying to build a collection. I only have 10 frags now (well, plus dozens of samples), all small bottles, and I'm already finding it hard to use them up, since I'm rotating between them. It's easy to look at the larger bottle and say "golly gee, I can get twice the amount for only an additional $50+ dollars while the small bottle itself costs $150". But think about it- they're making you pay more to get what you don't want and what you don't need.

Now on the other hand, it there's a fragrance you love that you use like crazy, bigger bottles are certainly a better bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by icanzapyou View Post
    1.7s are more than enough for me, and it certainly should be for anyone trying to build a collection.
    If and when you do emerge from your shell, you will realize that there is a world of people that use perfume enough to need a 100ml (3.4) even with a wardrobe of 124 perfumes.

for swap/sale:

Wink Re: Multi-Cologne users: what size cologne do you purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    If and when you do emerge from your shell, you will realize that there is a world of people that use perfume enough to need a 100ml (3.4) even with a wardrobe of 124 perfumes.
    If your life compels you to wear that much fragrance, then by all means you should buy bigger bottles. But do you "need" it though? If a frag lasts 6-12 hours, and we apply it twice a day at most, using 3-5 sprays each time, I really don't see how one is given enough opportunities to use up an entire large bottle, especially if one already has a collection of several large bottles. I see you have a sale and swap thread going on. Doesn't that kind of prove my point? It means that at least to some extent, you're buying large bottles of fragrance only to not wear it. Which is fine, obviously, but it also means that if you weren't swapping and selling, your collection would instead be collecting dust. I'm by no means passing judgment. I genuinely think it's awesome that you have a big collection of big bottles, good for you. My personal judgment though is that I don't need that much of a particular fragrance in my life, and that I'd rather save the few bucks by purchasing a smaller bottle. Guess I'm still hiding in my "shell", huh tough guy?

If your life compels you to wear that much fragrance, then by all means you should buy bigger bottles. But do you "need" it though? If a frag lasts 6-12 hours, and we apply it twice a day at most, using 3-5 sprays each time, I really don't see how one is given enough opportunities to use up an entire large bottle, especially if one already has a collection of several large bottles. I see you have a sale and swap thread going on. Doesn't that kind of prove my point? It means that at least to some extent, you're buying large bottles of fragrance only to not wear it. Which is fine, obviously, but it also means that if you weren't swapping and selling, your collection would instead be collecting dust. I'm by no means passing judgment. I genuinely think it's awesome that you have a big collection of big bottles, good for you. My personal judgment though is that I don't need that much of a particular fragrance in my life, and that I'd rather save the few bucks by purchasing a smaller bottle. Guess I'm still hiding in my "shell", huh tough guy?
    I didnt imply you were hiding. I meant yiu are overly presumptuous about people's lifestyles, their perfume habits.
    Again you presume people use 3-5 sprays. Why is that?
    I and others on this forum use as little as 7 sprays and some go as high as 15 sprays per application.

Now you can see how a 100ml is necessary.
    Those for sale/swap items I have are either regretted impulse buys or decants.
    Even after swapping those I'll still have 120 perfume bottles that are all the largest available size.
    And my selling/swapping bottles doesn't prove that i am buying large bottles to only end up not using it all. If so, I'd sell off part of it rights. I wouldn't sell it off completely. So my swap/sale proves that one shouldnt buy on impulse.

So to conclude, you probably shouldn't state that 1.7 is enough for "anyone building a collection". This applies to you, sure, but certainly doesn't to a good amount of people on here and in the world. Hence the "emerging from shell', acknowledging that not everyone lives the lifestyle you had your social group lives.

for swap/sale:

I didnt imply you were hiding. I meant yiu are overly presumptuous about people's lifestyles, their perfume habits.
    Again you presume people use 3-5 sprays. Why is that?
    I and others on this forum use as little as 7 sprays and some go as high as 15 sprays per application.

Now you can see how a 100ml is necessary.
    Those for sale/swap items I have are either regretted impulse buys or decants.
    Even after swapping those I'll still have 120 perfume bottles that are all the largest available size.
    And my selling/swapping bottles doesn't prove that i am buying large bottles to only end up not using it all. If so, I'd sell off part of it rights. I wouldn't sell it off completely. So my swap/sale proves that one shouldnt buy on impulse.

So to conclude, you probably shouldn't state that 1.7 is enough for "anyone building a collection". This applies to you, sure, but certainly doesn't to a good amount of people on here and in the world. Hence the "emerging from shell', acknowledging that not everyone lives the lifestyle you had your social group lives.
    If I've come across as accusatory or rude in any way at all, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to accuse you of anything, and like I said I have a lot of respect for people like you who love fragrances and are so knowledgeable about them. In addition, you seem like a nice dude, I've read a lot of your posts and you always have good wisdom to share. Obviously, we have different "perfume habits". While it's very true that I'm "assuming" and being "presumptuous", well, this is a forum. It's a given that everything I say is skewed to my life experience and lifestyle. Duh. That's kind of the point, is that we all get to say what we want and if anyone disagrees they're welcome to say "fuck you, you're wrong" and move on. Don't act like I committed some cardinal sin by giving a subjective answer. You've posted over 6000 times, surely you're guilty of doing the same a few times. Even this post that I'm responding to can be seen as "presumptuous". In addition, this is a "just starting out" topic, so I don't imagine the people asking for advice (like myself) have hundreds of bottles of fragrance; thus making my opinion probably more pertinent than yours. Again, that's an assumption. All I did was state my opinion and back it up with logic. Don't fault me for using the forum the way it's meant to be used.

Phew! Putting all of that aside, I'm really sorry. I'm on this site to have fun and to learn, certainly not to annoy anyone and start arguments. I'd appreciate it greatly if you'd be the bigger man here and drop the whole thing. I'll cut my bitching so we can get this thread back on topic.

If I've come across as accusatory or rude in any way at all, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to accuse you of anything, and like I said I have a lot of respect for people like you who love fragrances and are so knowledgeable about them. In addition, you seem like a nice dude, I've read a lot of your posts and you always have good wisdom to share. Obviously, we have different "perfume habits". While it's very true that I'm "assuming" and being "presumptuous", well, this is a forum. It's a given that everything I say is skewed to my life experience and lifestyle. Duh. That's kind of the point, is that we all get to say what we want and if anyone disagrees they're welcome to say "fuck you, you're wrong" and move on. Don't act like I committed some cardinal sin by giving a subjective answer. You've posted over 6000 times, surely you're guilty of doing the same a few times. Even this post that I'm responding to can be seen as "presumptuous". In addition, this is a "just starting out" topic, so I don't imagine the people asking for advice (like myself) have hundreds of bottles of fragrance; thus making my opinion probably more pertinent than yours. Again, that's an assumption. All I did was state my opinion and back it up with logic. Don't fault me for using the forum the way it's meant to be used.

Phew! Putting all of that aside, I'm really sorry. I'm on this site to have fun and to learn, certainly not to annoy anyone and start arguments. I'd appreciate it greatly if you'd be the bigger man here and drop the whole thing. I'll cut my bitching so we can get this thread back on topic.
    No worries.
    By the way I spray at least 15 sprays per application lol.

for swap/sale:

Love ya!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Love ya!
    Ummmmmmmwwwaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh love you too

for swap/sale:

When I first started - it was 3.4 bu as my collection grew and grew I realised that 1.7 or even smaller decants would be sufficient. Also they are cheaper lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ete View Post
    I prefer the 1.7oz unless it's something that I really like.
    Same here

Always 100ml.
    I try to stick to this as well.

1.7. That's all I need.

Dependent

No worries.
    yeah i thought i was getting a waft from the East around 8 at night every day here in LA

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    yeah i thought i was getting a waft from the East around 8 at night every day here in LA
    20 sprays of Absolue Pour le Soir right now - mmmmmm just divine.

for swap/sale:

I haven't pulled the trigger on any huge bottles yet, but I am starting to love the look of Tom Ford decanter 8.4 oz bottles... Is it a mistake? I realize that if I make myself a collection of a few Tom Ford bottles, some Creed, and a few select others, I may never get through them in full sizes! But I am interested in whittling to a collection of less than 15 beloved scents in well-displayed bottles. Anyone else prefer full size?

It really depends on numerous variables, such as:

How often you plan to use it
    How much you like or love it
    How many fragrances you own or plan to own in the near future
    How much your lifestyle or personal habits
    Your personal budget
    How easily you grow bored of something
    If you're just starting out in fragrances or have more experience
    How strong it smells to you
    Longevity
    Skin chemistry

Personally, I'm a 75ml person but don't mind either 100ml or 2x 50mls (100ml sometimes feels too much and 50ml comes across as too little). But everyone's different.

For regular members of a rotation that are used at least 2-3 time per week I will purchase the biggest size flacon (up to 8.4oz). Additionally I will buy a smaller one (e.g. 50 ml) for re-application throughout the day if needed, or I decant some into a smaller bottle for that purpose. For fragrances that I use less frequently a 50ml or 75ml bottle usually suffices.

Sound Scents

Most of my edcs or edts are at least 100ml bottles, but I buy 50ml bottles of edps and sometimes 30ml of pure perfumes if no larger size is available.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

My cost analysis always makes me go for the bigger size, however some frags you have no choice really cuz the bottles only comes in one size.

Quote Originally Posted by Yiyi4real View Post
    My cost analysis always makes me go for the bigger size, however some frags you have no choice really cuz the bottles only comes in one size.
    Same for me. When its $20 for an extra 50ml of juice I figure might as well. Besides, I have a brother who has started fishing into my wardrobe.

I always purchase the 3.4 oz. The 1.7 (half the size) typically ends up costing more. 3.4 oz for $15-$20 more is a steal in my opinion.
    The only bottles that aren't 3.4oz+ are samples, decants, or Joop!

Blog Entries

I've always felt 100ml is the better deal for designer fragrances so I go for it.

Basenotes Member

I always go for the 100ml bottle (if it's available) simply because I think the bigger bottle looks better. I'll make an exception when I start buying niche fragrances though because they're already so expensive.

If not much difference cost between 50ml and 100ml then I'll go for 100ml.