Code of Conduct

Default "COURAGE" by One Seed - a stunner!

I wanted to share something with my fellow Aussie BNers. I came across an artisanal perfume range here yesterday in Western Australia that I really like. One Seed is an Australian handmade botanical perfume company that use 100% natural components (not a synthetic molecule in sight!), and have an ethical approach to perfumery, ensuring sustainability, recyclability, and whom are strictly opposed to animal testing.

They have 5 scents in their line (plus one limited edition), and they've completely rocked my world with an eau de parfum called Courage. Its a surprisingly unisex floral oriental which I feel very much in the same vein as vintage Miss Dior and Vero's Onda etc. I've written a review about it on my blog, and just wanted to encourage others here "down under" to check them out. I think they are doing what so few manage to achieve - and that is create beautiful perfumes with naturals that don't necessarily smell "hand made". Its also important (I think) to support Australian made products in a struggling Aussie economy.

PS: Im not affiliated with them in the least - just excited to find some good home-grown nose fodder!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 11th October 2011 at 02:58 AM.

Default Re: AUSSIE BN'ers: "COURAGE" by One Seed - a stunner!

Looks like a line to try thanks SoS, I'd not heard of them. Did you try any of the other fragrances? If so, thoughts?

Default Re: AUSSIE BN'ers: "COURAGE" by One Seed - a stunner!

I tried "Grace" as well Laph... it was quite striking on skin, and again... not your "cookie-cutter" type floral. It was quite dark and rich.
    I sprayed the remainder on cards which, unfortunately, I promptly mixed up when I put them in my bag... but when I opened it again, I liked what I could smell.
    The website charges $4 for a sample, and they offer free shipping, so not too bad when compared to ordering samples online and paying international postage rates.

Default Re: "COURAGE" by One Seed - a stunner!

Great news is that they do ship samples to the US, and they take Paypal. Thanks to Ann for letting me know

Sound Scents

As Courage is still not in the fragrance directory I'll post my thoughts/mini-review of this relatively unknown composition in this old thread started by the great Sorcery of Scent who initially brought it everyone's attention (including me)... Many thanks SoS!

Courage

Courage opens with a very strong dull orange, coupling with slightly sweet amber rising from the base and a grouping of mild supporting culinary herbs. As the fragrance enters the early heart phase the culinary herbs disappear, while the orange and amber tandem remains, now joined by a supporting slightly indolic jasmine floral with an animalic musky undertone. The fragrance remains relatively linear from the early heart through the late dry-down as the musk and amber dominate late but the orange never completely dissipates. Projection is below average to average and longevity is well-below average at about 4 hours on skin.

Courage is an all-natural blend from a great relatively unknown perfume house from Australia called One Seed. When first applied, the fragrance conjures up glancing similarities to many of the amazing releases from Angelo Orazio Pregoni of O'driu with their brilliant use of culinary herbs. Courage takes a different path shortly after the open and is definitely unique, as it takes the orange and amber combination sans herbs and adds a musky underlying vibe to it even though the composition doesn't contain any real musk (as it is 100% botanical). The musky qualities are most likely the result of the indolic slightly animalic florals used. At this point the composition indeed channels some of the best qualities of the great perfumer Vero Kern and her super-fine Onda Extrait in particular (as was previously mentioned by SoS in the OP). If I could change anything about Courage it would only be to increase its performance aspects, as while the composition is plenty strong it softens and goes away all too quickly. While it hangs around though, this absolutely stellar 4 to 4.5 star out of 5 composition is a hidden gem that Aussie's need to share with the rest of the world as most of us have no idea what we are missing. I know the house of One Seed just got on this reviewer and buyer's radar in a very big way!
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Basenotes Institution

Wow, sounds awesome.

Is it powdery, like Onda?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wow, sounds awesome.

Is it powdery, like Onda?
    No, it is missing that aspect to my nose at least....
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Basenotes Institution

Good news. I thought Onda was a powder monster.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mike, it actually is bad news -- Dimi with almost 10K posts under his belt BANNED? Sorry, OT. So very shocked.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Mike, it actually is bad news -- Dimi with almost 10K posts under his belt BANNED? Sorry, OT. So very shocked.
    I know. It's been a while now, though. Miss him terribly.

-- Eckhart Tolle