Code of Conduct

Default What best suits me - according to my type of literature?[newbie]

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a few titles that would "suit" me according to my reading preference? I looked at all the names and types and notes and simply don't know how to eventually get there...i am a hopeless nerd.

I read mostly fiction, poetry and drama, but i also enjoy many works in the philosophy/religion/phenomenology department as well. Authors such as Dostoyevsky, Shakespeare, Calvino, Doblin, Broch, Valery, Hugo von Hofmannsthal, Camus,Sappho, Kafka, Kierkegaard and also Hans Christian Anderson & Stephen King around the 90s!

I generally prefer the less "detailed" stories. I prefer romance and beauty in the abstract. I considered myself quiet and socially adequate most of the time.

Books and music are all i know -- Hopefully they are not completely irrelevant.

Among the few presents from friends and blind buys --

a. I particularly dislike Miss Cherie/Hypnotic Poison, Gold by Michael Kors and Maitresse by Agent Provocateur.
    b. Terre d'hermes to me is pleasant, but still...not there.
    c. I avoid gardenias whenever and wherever --Pavlovian effect from childhood--i literally get "carsick" and throw up.
    d.I hope to find something that aren't too fruity or floral -- or at least one that doesn't scream "girly".

--that's all i know, folks.

I am 21 now and really wish to find something.

Kisses and kisses and a million thanks,
    Have a great day!

r.e.o.

Default Re: What best suits me - according to my type of literature?[newbie]

Perhaps Nejma IV

Maybe Dior Dolce Vita or Dior Escale a Portofino

Maybe White Patchouli by Tom Ford

You have a very heterogeneous set of readings, so it's hard to pin down anything.

However, your reference to "romance and beauty in the abstract" makes me think about certain classical perfumes that are not particularly sweet, have floral notes, but don't smell directly like anything obvious in natuire. They range from Chanel no 5, to less widely distributed things like Chanel 31 rue Cambon. Up to the extremely expensive, but fantastic, Amouage Gold. For beauty with dark notes, Guerlain Mitsouko.

In general, chypre perfumes are often described as abstract but balanced and beautiful. Mitsouko is the most famous chypre.

cacio

I find the works around the Musc of the Narciso Rodriguez line, in particular , the edt , very french damned poetry style: Rimbaud , Baudelaire....

also the works about Aoud + Rose , result very gothic in Allan Poe style: scents like Black aoud, Voleur de Roses, Dark Rose

Going on your above description, I'm thinking no heavy gourmands or white florals. I'm cuing on abstraction, too, thinking nothing rich or enveloping, and given your reading choices, something classically-oriented. Perhaps...

Tauer Miriam

This is very much a classic, light aldehydic floral in a way they don't really make anymore, but not as decadent, heavy, or gothic as Amouages tend to be. ( Just about to be released internationally in a few days, but a number of folks including myself had a chance to sample early - for the record, no, no affiliation. )

I'll post some others as I think of them. Out of idle curiosity - is the gardenia hate due to flowers or a gardenia perfume? Lots of gardenia fragrances are very inaccurate.

Not everything nice has to be floral. For the philosophically-minded, you might want to look into something off the beaten path like I Hate Perfume's 'Black March'. The stuff is meant to start off smelling like the richest damp humusy soil you can imagine, and then mellows into a really nice scent. We were gearing up to go mushroom hunting yesterday, and my sister said "I don't know if I want to smell like dirt" but she ended up really loving it.

I think you might like Commes De Garcons (original EDP), CdG Wonderwood & from Donna Karan re-issues range: Essence Wenge, Signature, & Chaos (Chaos does have some fruit, but it's not celebscent style sugary/fruity !)
    Good luck.

Edit: Forgot to add also DK Black Cashmere (similar to Chaos, minus the fruit)
    Last edited by indigo; 9th October 2011 at 03:59 PM.