You will probably recieve many different opinions but I would suggest that you sample them. You don't want to be stuck with a $250 bottle you don't like. You may also want to search "Amouage" here to get headed in the right direction.
Dia and memoir are the most versatile in my opinion. As much as I love Dia though the projection of it is abysmal. When I wear mine i pretty much just wear it for me, even though I'd love for others to be able to smell it on me.
I chose Gold man and Jub XXV. Gold man is one of my very favorite perfumes, big, striking, opulent. If you want to go the Amouage route, that's the one; however, it is indeed quite big and scary if you're not used. Jub XXV is a wonderful incense.
As others were saying, blind buy is obviously not recommended.
I chose Dia Man. It is my favorite out of the line, and by far I find it the most versatile (classy, subtle, refined, low projection but long-lasting). Probably the next most versatile is Silver and third is Reflection Man. Jubilation XXV is less versatile, but my second overall favorite in the line.
Current Top Favorites:
1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
4) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie
6) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie