Code of Conduct

Default Do I have to pay tax if I bought 3 bottles of fragrances from Europe and bring it back to the US?

This is my first time in Europe and I purchased 3 bottles of fragrance... I opened it and used it a few times already... If I take the bottles with me back to the US, do I have to pay taxes on it? Thanks
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Do I have to pay tax if I bought 3 bottles of fragrances from Europe and bring it back to the US

I never declare on the customs form any fragrances I have bought while abroad.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 9th October 2011 at 12:57 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Default Re: Do I have to pay tax if I bought 3 bottles of fragrances from Europe and bring it back to the US

Depends on what you bought. If it was 3 more bottles of Amouage and Bond No.9, then you have to pay a suckers tax before entering the country.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    Depends on what you bought. If it was 3 more bottles of Amouage and Bond No.9, then you have to pay a suckers tax before entering the country.

I brought 2 bottle with me from the US. Both are from mine...both used, but are stored in their boxes... I purchased 3 bottles... 1 chanel, and 2 Spanish fragrances... I used all 3 already...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    This is my first time in Europe and I purchased 3 bottles of fragrance... I opened it and used it a few times already... If I take the bottles with me back to the US, do I have to pay taxes on it? Thanks
    They're used aren't they?

Didn't you take them with you when you left the US?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTheBeginner View Post

yes, the 2 i took with me are used but still 95%+ full...the 3 I bought are new, but I have been wearing them already...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTheBeginner View Post

lol he didn't get it

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

No need to declare them on the return.

Blog Entries

Don't worry, guy. Three bottles has almost no chance of going over the limit. It's all explained here.

I brought something like 7 bottles home from Europe, plus all my wife's fashion purchases, plus a ton of gifts, and we came very close to the two-person limit, which was $1600 (less in euros). We were even likely a bit over, when we worked it out with the agent in the booth. No problems - they just waved us on.

Buy some more juice!

You only declare significant items.

Basically they want to "get it on the action" if you plan on making a profit on your bounty when you return.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

^ Exactly. Bring back a few dozen bottles of L'Instant PH Extreme, and they want a piece.

Dont say anything !

No problem with the tax. You only have to pay tax on stuff that you bought in Europe if it's over the considerable allowance. And if it happens to be, you can just write down a smaller number. After all, they cannot imagine that a perfume could cost $500. I never had any problem with food or clothes.

The restriction that is enforced is food that is not allowed: meats, fresh produce and fruits, seeds. You could in theory not declare them, but if they open the bag, you could have problems. so don't bring them. After all, it doesn't seem wise to carry a jambon, as tasty as you want, but that will make your suitcase stink no matter what.

As for whether allowed food should be declared, I don't know what the rule is. To be on the safe side, I mark "yes" on the question on the custom form, circle food and cross out the other entries, then write above "chocolates", "jams" or whatever applies.

cacio

Thanks my friends for the help... I really appreciate your help...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man