Code of Conduct

Default Vetyver, an all times classic... but what is the best Vetyver available and why?

Many fragrance maisons have its own Vetyver frag. Some are as classic and old school as Guerlain's Vetyver whereas other try and give it a modern touch, like Lanvin's Vetyver. I decided to post the threat to ask you what is your favorite Vetyver and why (sillage, freshness, high pure vetyver concentration, right base notes combination etc). Looking forward to hearing to your opinios.

Default Re: Vetyver, an all times classic... but what is the best Vetyver available and why?

Default Re: Vetyver, an all times classic... but what is the best Vetyver available and why?

1948 vetiver by creed, it is not offensive to the nose like guerlain vetiver, it is fresh and masculine too bad they do not make it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    1948 vetiver by creed, it is not offensive to the nose like guerlain vetiver, it is fresh and masculine too bad they do not make it anymore.
    you work for creed or something? every word out of your mouth is creed, lol....

Vetiver Pour Elle by Guerlain (lighter than the men's version, which makes it a lot more wearable IMO)

Thanks for sharing this ultimate interesting vetyver contest! The guy really endured a journey to evaluate and classify all that vetyver-based fragrances. Now I know which vétyver to focus on: Lanvin's (renewed almost acquatic) Vétyver and Carlos Corinto powerful classic one. Great!

Not saying they're the best, but ones to try might be Creed Original Vetiver, or Annick Goutal Vetiver.

I like Azzaro's Pure Vetiver for it's clean, soapy grassiness, and Vetiver de Puig for it's bold, dirtied-up machismo. And by "dirtied-up", I mean that I smell cumin, as in Puig's Quorum.

Quote Originally Posted by md1grwl View Post
    Actually I do and i fly to france and new york for free on behalf of speaking for them and if you believe that i will sell you the brooklyn bridge lol.

Actually I do and i fly to france and new york for free on behalf of speaking for them and if you believe that i will sell you the brooklyn bridge lol.
    Me too. On the long run it becomes unworthily.

X

Vetiver can be treated woody or grassy. The grassy variant is represented by the Guerlain, accompanied by citrus and tobacco, the woody by Givenchy with a aromatic nutty aspect. The Etro comes close to the smoky take of the Malle.

My own first misstake was to expect from any veiver something "green". Btw, if it were available I would recommend the old version of Carven. It is fresh and dries down to the right amount of manly roughness without becoming strange or otherwise overwhelming. Elegance.

question with no answer
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I hope you don't believe I actually thought you worked for Creed when I typed that. No, rather I was choosing to go the more 'light' route vs. calling you a straight Creed Whore

My two favorites are Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, which updates this classic material with some very modern and sophisticated aroma chemicals making it both retro and modern and Annick Goutal Vetiver, which adds a salty, iodine note, making it more than yet another vetiver fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    question with no answer
    +1....Fragrances like women, or cars, or even a bottle of beer, and or numerous other things in life are a subjective thing. WE all have our personal opinions on all these matters, and they all differ from one person to another.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Guerlain´s

Guerlain's Vetiver. It is excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by md1grwl View Post
    I hope you don't believe I actually thought you worked for Creed when I typed that. No, rather I was choosing to go the more 'light' route vs. calling you a straight Creed Whore
    i know you are kidding lol, a creed whore? i would be a creed trick i am paying them lol.

Lalique - Encre Noir

AromiErotici

No expert on vetiver here, but I know what I like. Corinto Vetyver is the most likable I have purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    No expert on vetiver here, but I know what I like. Corinto Vetyver is the most likable I have purchased.
    would like to try this one sometime

Cannot judge which Vetyver is the best, but, apart from the Guerlain classic, Creed OV (conservative, high-end vetyver), Lanvin Vetyver (modern, yet non-generic and very light vetyver) and even some sparse vetyver notes in Mugler Cologne (very casual vetyver) are serious contenders for this title

IMO, the best vetiver fragrance is Guerlain Vetiver Pour Elle, though admittedly the vetiver may not be the star note in this composition.

For pure vetivers, my favorites are:

TDC Sel d'Vetiver
    Givenchy Vetyver
    ELDO Fat Electrician
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

The Vetiver can be difficult.. It can often be hars, sour, and bitter. The only Vetiver I like so far is Creed Original Vetiver, becaus it`s soft, modern, and delicious for casual wear.

Eau de Vetyver by Le Jardin Retrouvé

My favourite blend of quality, and value for money.

For a fresh, light vetiver:

Creed Original Vetiver.

For a dark, earthy vetiver:

Etat Libre d'Orange Fat Electrician,

and

Lalique Encre Noire.
    Last edited by Chasing the Dragon; 6th September 2010 at 01:24 AM.

hmmm let me see
    I just bought a vial of pure Vetiver from the islandof reunion which has an incredibly creamy nutty and woody note in it unlike say Indian vetiver which is earthy but very green. I can see how encre noir is a mixture of different tpyes of vetiver. Anyway, the type i enjoy best is the agressive sharp type as in MPG's RdV of Malle's VE. I REALLY enjoyed original vetiver by creed although i have no clue what type of vetiver it is. it is certainly the shortest lived variety of all but also the most refreshing blend.
    In any case, vetiver is so versatile that i am always amazed at the different interpretations, hence for me there is no BEST vetiverjust good and bad representations (for the latter see mazzolari's vetiver)
    I take a bottle of wine and I go drink it among the flowers.
    We are always three ... counting my shadow and my friend the shimmering moon
    Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking, and my shadow is never thirsty
    When I sing, the moon listens to me in silence. When I dance, my shadow dances too.
    After all festivities the guests must depart. This sadness I do not know.
    When I go home, the moon goes with me and my shadow follows me

Li Po - II bc

I tend to prefer the "green" vetivers, and tend not to like the rooty "brown" vetivers. So it's no surpirce my favorites have very little vetiver root oil in them, as these either use sytnehtic vetiver notes, or synthetic vetiver notes paired with infusions of the aerial parts (leaf/blade) of the vetiver plant, and in some cases, very low concentrations of vetiver root oil paired with synthetic "greener" notes:

1. Creed Original Vetiver
    2. Guerlain Vetiver Sport
    3. Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre
    4. Creed Vetiver '48
    5. Paul Smith Story
    6. Mugler Cologne
    7. Tauer Vetiver Dance
    8. Cereus #6 or #11, i forget which.
    9. Frank Los Angeles
    10. Guerlain Vetiver Extreme

those are my ten favorite vetivers in order, all of the more "green" than "brown"

I consider MPG's RdV and Etro's Vetiver perfect examples of "brown" vetivers, both of which seemingly use large quantities of natural vetiver root oil.

Chanel Sycomore

Because it's probably the richest, roundest, plushest, most handsome, most balanced and natural smelling woods fragrance ever created.

It might not have quite the scope, but Sycomore stands right alongside Patou pour Homme in overall quality.
    Last edited by pluran; 6th September 2010 at 02:31 AM.

Vetivers I enjoy:
    Guerlain - still the "reference" vetiver - a must try
    Lubin - a bit similar to guerlain but with a little incense and ice
    Villoresi - raw, earthy, bourbon vetivr oil with his signature rosewood/herbal/bergamot. Very nice.
    Carlo Corinto - my favorite of the "soapy" vetiver style, musky and good.
    Goutal's vetiver is very well made with an interesting "iodine" or seaweed note. I don't really like it but understand why others do.

I don't really like the creeds - original vetiver is a very appealing grassy scent with a little vetiver and a lot of musk. Vetiver '48 is not really very vetivery at all, in my opinion.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

BINGO

Rose 31 (Vetiver note comes off strong on me)
    Encre Noire
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    SL Vetiver Oriental

Thumbs up Re: Vetyver, an all times classic... but what is the best Vetyver available and why?

ENCRE NOIRE and VETIVER EXTRAORDINAIRE are magnificent but i also like Lorenzo Villoresi, Etro, Mazzolari, Guerlain and Floris
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    For a fresh, light vetiver:

Creed Original Vetiver.

For a dark, earthy vetiver:

Etat Libre d'Orange Fat Electrician,

and

Lalique Encre Noire.
    The ELDO Fat Electrician doesn't reveal any earthyness on me for others and vice versa. It is a sweet vetiver/vanilla brew, very clean opposed to the assaulting Habannita. My conception of it is a counter balance of sweet/woody vanilla and herbal/nutty-rooty vetiver. Rooty in a sense of "black salsify" aka "scorzonera", carrot without the orange ...

I wouldn't take it as an eponymous vetiver.

For anyone who is man enough to own up to wearing floral fragrances, he has
    to try Guerlain Vetiver Pour Elle.

I find it abundantly uplifting and satisfying. To my nose, it's a fantastic blend of florals & vetiver.
    Sillage & longevity are top notch. It's got Guerlain's legacy behind it and the packaging is beautiful too.

Overall, a winner.

Sur la Plage

Givenchy Vetyver. Period.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It has been a long and twisted road through the land of vetiver. My favorites that I have stayed with through darkness and light are:

Sel d' Vetiver - sunshine, the sea, elevating
    Encre Noire - ink darkness, ominous,
    Villoresi Vetiver - earth and roots
    Vetiver 46 - incense, cedar effervescent

With vetiver fragrances it is hard to name clearly what's best there are just so many that smell really good.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Givenchy Vetyver. Period.
    A quite provocative statement. The Givenchy may develop bold facets on skin. And thus it is formal, layed back, settled, not always in a good way. I personally like the refreshing to adstringend quality of Carven Vetiver (old formula) and as a more nutritious variant the ELDO Fat Electrician. The former combines lavender, the latter vanilla with the material in question.

Nobody mentioned Kenzo Air Intense. It's crap, "kitsch", though. First it may be taken as a typical-vetiver-true-to-the-real-stuff thing. Then it becomes boring and in the end develops a nauseous aspect of environmental pollution. Even vetiver can be rendered hideous.

The Tom Ford concoction Grey Vetiver is an other case. 2 be avoided in my book. It smells "as-if" it was vetiver. But it has some high gloss polished texture to it which renders it unbelievable. The juxtaposition is obviously an accident in trying to be at once modern and classic.
    Last edited by WildThingy; 7th September 2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: grammar

I'll happily try any that come along even tho I don't wear vetiver very often. I'd like to try the Givenchy at some point, it seems to be a classic but it's sure not easy to find. My favourites are Vetiver Pour Elle, Sel de Vetiver, respect for Sycomore and Extrordinaire and I'll do my monthly lone voice in the widerness plug for Vetiver Tonka, which just seems to suit me more than the rest. I like Original Vetiver but I don't really think of it as a vetiver scent, frankly.

Encre Noire, followed closely by vetiver extraordinaire. Considering the price gap, Encre Noire wins.

Point Blank

1. Encre Noire, Grey Vetiver
    2. Givenchy, Sycomore, Fresco di Vetiver, Aqva Nobilis
    3. Original Vetiver, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Mazzolari Vetiver, Vetiver Oriental, Sel di Vetiver

This summer I have thoroughly enjoyed a few wearings of Annick Goutal's Vetyver. Love it very much.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Vetiver Extraordinaire by Malle,
    Sycomore
    Grey Vetiver TF

Honorable mention to Sel de Vetiver by TPC
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Sound Scents

Well, I won't go as far as "best available" as I have not smelled nearly every vetiver scent on the market... To my nose, out of the ones I *have* smelled, Encre Noir reigns supreme. A relatively close second is the release this year from Mona di Orio... Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    question with no answer
    What he said. I do have a favorite though, and that would be Vetyver, by Carlo Corinto.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....