Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why do I never get any compliments?

Good day ladies and gentlemen,

I am sort of new to fragrances, and I read and hear everywhere that people receive "compliments" on how they smell.
    well I have been wearing fragrances daily for the past year and I only received ONE compliment from a young gentleman. ( I was wearing CK Eternity)

I want to know what you mean by "I get many positive compliments"
    how often do people comment on how you smell?

Thanks

Default Re: Why do I never get any compliments?

I think it just depends on the person. Some people are very forthcoming on giving compliments to others while others are not.

Have you ever been asked what cologne your wearing? You could consider those a compliment.

Giving unsolicited compliments is a social courtesy, pretty much like complimenting on the dress or the haircut. I assume that many of the times compliments are given simply because the smell is so loud that people notice, not because the person actually likes the smell. (I have never received any compliments, by the way).

cacio

I think you have to find that right spot on how and where to wear your fragrance. Sometimes more and sometimes less. My compliments start flying when I start putting 2 neck 1 or 2 to the chest and 1 to the arm with a touch of the other arm. Of course all fragrance can't be applied like that.

Cmax...

How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Desk20 View Post
    How old are you?
    Hi,
    I am 20.

Quote Originally Posted by PradaG View Post
    Have you ever been asked what cologne your wearing? You could consider those a compliment.
    noone ever asked me what I was wearing. only once I was told by another guy that I smell nice.

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    I think you have to find that right spot on how and where to wear your fragrance. Sometimes more and sometimes less. My compliments start flying when I start putting 2 neck 1 or 2 to the chest and 1 to the arm with a touch of the other arm. Of course all fragrance can't be applied like that.

Cmax...
    by 2 shots on the chest, do you mean you first apply on the chest then wear a shirt, or you apply on the clothes?
    Thanks

Direct on the chest, let dry then apply shirt

Cmax...

When I've gotten compliments, they've only been during close contact, i.e., hugging/cheek kissing. I try to keep my sprays toned down so that you wouldn't smell me otherwise.

I do not receive much comments, even when im wearing ultra strong colognes that is impossible to someone do not smell

It depends on where you live, how much you use and how people perceive you. A large majority of men in my area don't use frags, (although the number is increasing a bit) so people aren't used to talking about it and generally don't make any comments at all unless it's super loud, then the comments are of course negative. Because of that, I don't apply frag so people around me notice it unless they get very close, so most people wouldn't notice my frag anyway. Assuming someone notices your frag and is an outgoing friendly person who might comment, whether they do or not depends on how they perceive you, whether they get the vibe that you're friendly, approachable, and would appreciate the comment. Most of that is communicated non-verbally, more in the way you carry yourself than anything else. That's my $.02 fwiw...

Yeah it does depend a lot on who you are around. I barely ever get compliments from randoms unless I'm at a house party or town dancing etc. In terms of everyday they always come from people I hang around a lot so are very comfortable discussing anything. As people have said before, most woman (or men) will be afraid to comment as they feel it will be seen as coming onto you. Whereas around friends and especially ex's who know how much I'm into my fragrance will always give me compliments if we go out to coffee or something like that. Dorje is 100% right aswell compliments come on how you carry yourself

I think a lot depends on how others perceive you. If you seem very open--you make eye contact with people, smile, etc.--then people will be more likely to comment on your fragrance. It really does require some degree of social intimacy to feel comfortable commenting on another's smell, just as it requires some social intimacy to say that another person looks nice. If you come off at all as distant or cool, then others would probably be reluctant to say anything.

I really only get compliments (and sometimes other than compliments) from my wife.

I think it depends on 2 things - whether people can smell you, and what kind of people you spend time around. Unless I hug someone (and I rarely do that at work) they probably don't get close enough to smell me at all. Even if they could, most of the women I see on a regular basis would probably think it's inappropriate to tell me I smell good, and the guys just wouldn't do it.

If I spent time around a more artsy or bohemian crowd, maybe that would be different. Then again, maybe I smell like crap, and my wife is just being nice ;-)

There are many factors.
    Age, the younger you and the more male the less the compliments you will get. If said male is in a metoropolitan city, then it will be almost non-existent. People are busy and weary of communicating with strangers.

If I were a feeble lady (I am a 6 foot guy) I would think twice about telling a stranger on the street of Chicago or NY that he smells good. But thats the sad part of society we live in.

for swap/sale:

I have received perhaps one or two compliments in about 20 years of wearing fragrance. My impression is that complimenting others (especially men, especially strangers) on how they smell is not very common in my country and may be perceived as weird and/or creepy.
    Jan Pieter

Firstly, you have to be wearing something compliment-worthy. Consider your wardrobe.

Secondly, wear more.

Two shots to each pectoral muscle. Two shots to the middle of the chest. Two shots to each side of the neck. Two shots to the crook of each elbow.

More importantly. Is there a reason you want compliments?
    If i get a compliment, well and good and if I do not its ok. I dont care.

for swap/sale:

Maybe you don't spray enough, maybe your choice of fragrance is wrong, perhaps you look unapproachable or people are too shy.

Personally I blame looking too good. I see women turn around sniffing, then they just give me a sly little look before, I'm pretty certain, having to catch their panties.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    More importantly. Is there a reason you want compliments?
    If i get a compliment, well and good and if I do not its ok. I dont care.
    I dont think anyone minds getting a friendly compliment.
    I am not desperate for one, but every review I read, people are like:

"yeah I got TONS of compliments with this one. make sure when they ask you if they can get closer to get a better sniff, you say "of course, my pleasure""

admit it, you have read all of this stuff on reviews as well. I was just wondering if it is real.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Firstly, you have to be wearing something compliment-worthy. Consider your wardrobe.

Secondly, wear more.

Two shots to each pectoral muscle. Two shots to the middle of the chest. Two shots to each side of the neck. Two shots to the crook of each elbow.
    I dont know which fragrances are compliment-worthy, please help me out.
    I have :
    CK Eternity, Burberry Brit, David Beckham Instinct, Davidoff GoodLife , Paco Rabanne 1 million (Dont wear the last one, blind buy mistake)
    I finished a few bottles but no compliments from those : Cool water, Joop Homme,..

I am wearing Brit on a daily basis in university now. I think if I apply that much I will get kicked out of the lecture hall lol.
    I do 2 on the chest, 1 on torso, 1 each side of the neck 1 to each elbow crook, 1 to each wrist, one back of the neck for scent trail.

Quote Originally Posted by WellGroomedGentleman View Post
    I dont think anyone minds getting a friendly compliment.
    I am not desperate for one, but every review I read, people are like:

"yeah I got TONS of compliments with this one. make sure when they ask you if they can get closer to get a better sniff, you say "of course, my pleasure""

admit it, you have read all of this stuff on reviews as well. I was just wondering if it is real.
    If people say it then it must be real. I always assume the best .

for swap/sale:

I think there are two situations that present themselves:

1. Generally, I receive compliments from co-workers that understand my interests in fragrances and truly like what I'm wearing that day.
    2. A stranger might feel that this type of compliment may be a bit too presumptuous and won't voice their opinion without some careful evaluations. If they compliment, they may also want to know what you're wearing for the sake of future investigation for a self purchase or perhaps something for a spouse or partner.
    - Expect the unexpected

The one that you don't wear (PR) might be your best chance at a compliment. It gets a bad rep here but women seems to love those type of scents. Gourmands/sweet/aquatic.

Cmax...

Try Tom Ford Gray Vetiver most of the women that I am meeting from time to time (friends, colleagues, my wife...) complimented this one.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

First and foremost it is a comfort level thing. I elicit many compliments from my coworkers on a near daily basis. However, we know each other and it is an easy conversation to have. Going up to a stranger just to tell them they smell nice is questionable to most people. Second it is a setting thing. You are much more likely to have someone come up to you at a party or a bar versus shopping or out on the street. When the mood is jovial, the barrier breaks a little. Thirdly, they have to actually believe you smell good!

My idea is that compliments come in many different forms and not always verbal. Are you approachable ? Are you wearing a nice scent that does well in the specific season ? Or you wearing a very average scent ?

Well, I for one don't tell someone I like their perfume unless I know them very well, I don't know why ... I guess it's because I think that it sounds like a "pick-up" line.

I would encourage you to have a look at the past winners in the Basenotes fragrance awards:

http://www.basenotes.net/awards/2009

Thanks,
    I am overly-approachable I think! lol

the sample booths and advertiesments ALWAYS pick me from the crowd and try to sell me their product. I smile at people when they look into my eyes (unless they are 16-23 YO women who may creep out).

I get fragrance compliments reasonably often. I find it's in direct proportion to how well-dressed and well-groomed I am. If I've been hitting the gym a lot, and go out wearing nice clothes and a good fragrance - yep, lots of comments. Now and then I'll go on a schlub binge - eating too much, bad haircut, not going to the gym enough - and no matter how nice the fragrance, not many compliments.

1. Don't pick a fragrance just because someone else received compliments on it. Wear what YOU love and own it!

2. Don't wear too little, no one will smell it.

3. Don't wear too much, no one will want to encourage you to add even more!

4. Have confidence in yourself. And smile.

I do get a lot of compliments ... usually a few every week. Many, but not all are from co-workers. It's nice to receive them, but not the reason I wear fragrance. I've even received a compliment (or two) on a perfume I was testing that didn't really wow me. It did make me wonder what they were smelling that I wasn't ... but otherwise didn't affect my opinion.

Wear 3 sprays of Creed Aventus. 1 chest, and 2 on the neck (on both sides). People will tell you how good you smell. Constantly.

I don't know what it is about Aventus, but every single time I'm out, and I'm wearing Aventus, I get at least one compliment per night. And it's usually very enthusiastic. It projects, but is never overwhelming. Try it.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Doesn't this seem a little heavy?

I am also one of the least complimented BNers out here, surprisingly, on those rare occasions when I do get complimented, budget scents often fare better than niche and also other peculiarities happen

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbar1104 View Post
    Doesn't this seem a little heavy?
    Yeah if I really want to project max I would go is like 6-7 which is 3 to the chest 1 to each inner elbow 2 on the neck and maybe one on the abs. Even then I feel like I'm going to douse everyone in my scent no matter what it is -- I get like a good meter projection off that... That's why I normally only spray like 3-4 haha

WellGroomedGentleman - if you own 1 Million - people should be noticing your scent for sure. That one is a projection beast. Anything more than 3 sprays of that, and you'll be choking people out!

I think maybe you need to start trying different colognes. It could be that the cologne you're wearing just doesn't smell good on you. There are alot of folks walking around in a frag that is very wrong for them. It's one thing to always want to wear the latest cologne, but you have to make sure it mixes well with your body chemistry. What smells good on one person can smell down right awful on the next person. I get compliments often. I got one tonight on my Gucci Flora. I am pretty good at choosing frags that smell good on me and more importantly to me. If you put on a frag and you can't stop smelling yourself cause you smell so good, then chances are someone else will feel the same and compliment you on it or ask you what you're wearing. Don't just buy a cologne because it's popular or because it smelled good on someone else, or it's what everyone is wearing. You have to take the time to test them out. When I go shopping, the 1st place I go is to the perfume counter. I try on the frags I like and then walk around and do my shopping while they develop. I usually try to give myself at least 2 or 3 skin tests before I decide to buy. You want to make sure that your cologne develops nicely on you. Ask the SA's opinion or someone that is also trying on cologne about how you smell after you've tried on a cologne and allowed it to develop. The SA may or may not be straight with you, but a fellow cologne sniffer will more than likely tell you if you stink or not. Good Luck!!
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

My subordinate complimented me on Black Aoud the other day.
    But he's my suborindate so it wasn't awkward saying its nice to me.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I am also one of the least complimented BNers out here, surprisingly, on those rare occasions when I do get complimented, budget scents often fare better than niche and also other peculiarities happen
    yes, It usually happens

Banned

[QUOTE=Divatologist;2316137]I think maybe you need to start trying different colognes. It could be that the cologne you're wearing just doesn't smell good on you. There are alot of folks walking around in a frag that is very wrong for them. It's one thing to always want to wear the latest cologne, but you have to make sure it mixes well with your body chemistry. What smells good on one person can smell down right awful on the next person. QUOTE]

heartily agree ......

Put a "How Am I Smelling? Call 1-800-" bumper sticker on your back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Same here!

Quote Originally Posted by jpkunst View Post
    I have received perhaps one or two compliments in about 20 years of wearing fragrance. My impression is that complimenting others (especially men, especially strangers) on how they smell is not very common in my country and may be perceived as weird and/or creepy.
    That would certainly apply to Germany, too.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I wear either perfume or a scented lotion on a pretty regular basis, and to tell you the truth most of the time I don't receive random compliments either. I wore Eternity by Calvin Klein (the feminine version) all through high school and thought it was the best smelling perfume ever. (I still like it quite a lot.) I heard other girls receive compliments on their perfumes that smelled like vanilla, etc., but I don't think anyone ever said one word to me about my perfume. I also wore Chantilly by Dana for a while, and people commented on that perfume a lot more. My personal theory is that I probably suit "heavier" fragrances. I love some "light" perfumes, but I think that some of them might almost disappear on me..or maybe they just don't suit my personality if that makes any sense. A couple of years ago I wore Human by Fruits and Passion as my signature scent almost every single day. It was the feminine version which pretty much smells the same as L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake. One day when I was wearing it at work a female co-worker came up to me and just bluntly said that I should stop wearing perfume because nobody liked it. That is probably the worst insult I have ever received about a fragrance I liked, and I was just flabbergasted at the time. I always thought that both Human and L'Eau D'Issey were beautiful perfumes. I still love the way they smell and think they're beautiful, but after that incident I did a lot of thinking and decided that I probably don't suit that particular style of fragrance. I'm not exactly sure why. I, personally, don't think that those fragrances smell bad on me. They don't "turn" on me or anything like that. I really think it must be a personality issue. I think the "fresh", "light" and "aquatic" perfumes tend to be associated with bright, cheerful, animated personality traits, and I fully admit that I'm not like that. I'm not putting myself down, and I'm not saying that I'm unfriendly or anything like that, but I was also told (in that same job) that some people thought I seemed "unapproachable." I don't think I'm really quite that scary once people get to know me, but I really suspect there is something about my personality that people tend to think fits with heavy, "dark" and maybe slightly oriental or spicy perfumes. Although personally I just find Chantilly to be really powdery and I received a lot of compliments when I wore it. Other perfumes I've actually received compliments on (when I wore them) are: Euphoria by Calvin Klein (the feminine version), Red Delicious by DKNY (interestingly..I can't quite explain that one), Coco by Chanel, L'Effleur by Coty (again that doesn't quite fit with my theory, but it's slightly spicy smelling on me), Curious by Britney Spears (okay that's just a white floral fragrance but it is a really nice perfume), Fantasy by Britney Spears, Red Door by Elizabeth Arden and that Scent by the Sea perfume oil from Etsy that I reviewed called Sweet Hashish. L'Heure Bleue smells really similar on me so I might receive compliments on that too but I haven't worn it enough to know. Those are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I want to add though..it's not always guys who are complimenting me. Sometimes it's relatives and family members or just friends and many times they are female, and they're just saying "oh what are you wearing? That's really nice!" I still count those as compliments though.

Wow that was rude!!! I would never tell someone something like that unless I would be allergic or something

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDragonFire View Post
    .... A couple of years ago I wore Human by Fruits and Passion as my signature scent almost every single day. It was the feminine version which pretty much smells the same as L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake. One day when I was wearing it at work a female co-worker came up to me and just bluntly said that I should stop wearing perfume because nobody liked it. That is probably the worst insult I have ever received about a fragrance I liked, and I was just flabbergasted at the time. I always thought that both Human and L'Eau D'Issey were beautiful perfumes. I still love the way they smell and think they're beautiful, but after that incident I did a lot of thinking and decided that I probably don't suit that particular style of fragrance...
    Wow, if that happened to me ( and I was in your shoes), it would be "game on" with that particular co-worker. Sorry to read that happened to you. I am sure that co-worker wouldn't appreciate someone saying something like that to her. Hypocrisy rules with some people.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

There is a sticky thread in the Male Fragrance Discussion forum which may be of help.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/212...le-compliments

It's not the frag as much as the # of sprays IMO.
    You could be wearing the best frag ever and if you just did one spray to chest and wore a suit over it, less likely you got a compliment. But if you sprayed that 6x, two under shirt, two on neck, two on wrists you're changes of getting comment go up.

It's like tattoos. No one will say "cool tattoo" if it's under your shirt and unseen. If you have a tat on your arm that is exposed, many people will say nothing, some will find it crappy and say nothing, and a few will like it and say something.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    It's not the frag as much as the # of sprays IMO.
    You could be wearing the best frag ever and if you just did one spray to chest and wore a suit over it, less likely you got a compliment. But if you sprayed that 6x, two under shirt, two on neck, two on wrists you're changes of getting comment go up.

It's like tattoos. No one will say "cool tattoo" if it's under your shirt and unseen. If you have a tat on your arm that is exposed, many people will say nothing, some will find it crappy and say nothing, and a few will like it and say something.
    but too many sprays will offend people.

I got my second compliment ever wearing Eternity again, but Brit and others have no tally as of now.

I would argue that the same folks that get a lot of compliments are also the ones who many people, who don't verbally say anything, think "damn that guy is wearing too much cologne".

cant have one without the other because that perfect balance is difficult to find.

i did like the other person's comment about how open you look to receive compliments too. if you have a serial killer stare and look, people will more likely not want to say anything and instead walk past you ASAP!

The scent I get compliments most often than all my others is Creed's Aventus. I think I've read others with a similar experience, you should try it I think it's a niche fragrance that has mass appeal for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
    The scent I get compliments most often than all my others is Creed's Aventus. I think I've read others with a similar experience, you should try it I think it's a niche fragrance that has mass appeal for some reason.
    I love Aventus... I think the compliments come on this one because it also has HUGE projection and sillage, it's tough for people not to notice. It is also unique and very likeable.

WGG: Don't buy/wear fragrances to get compliments from others. Buy and wear what pleases YOU. Trust your own taste. Compliments from others are nice, but they are of secondary importance.

First time i wore Pure Malt at Walmart i got a "Whats he Tryin to Prove" Gesture from someone that walked by me lmao I Guess thats a Compliment...other than that i never get any compliments either no matter what im wearing...Occasionally i will hear someone in line behind me taking a whiff secretly!

Basenotes Plus

Compliments are over-rated...

I got my first compliment in a long time today. Someone I had met a couple of times before told me "You smell nice!" I was wearing Habit Rouge EDP, having applied 4 sprays about an hour before.

I appreciated hearing it, but it made me think a bit about what a compliment means. People's tastes vary so much, and most people don't really think about fragrance. Getting a compliment from someone who isn't into perfume just means it's accessible. Consider how many great wines would appeal to someone used to drinking cheap stuff - a few would, but they are more likely to enjoy something similar to what they are used to.

I wear what I want to be smelling throughout the day. That is 99% of the use my frags get. The 1% of the time that someone else smells what I am wearing is the exception, and if they happen to like it and are extroverted enough to comment on it, that's a small bonus.

On a related topic, I think the folks (no one in this thread, btw) that are looking for something that will make them attractive to hot/college/young/etc. women/guys/aliens (i.e. the panty-dropper effect) would be better served by putting that energy into doing lots of crunches. People may or may not appreciate any given frag, but most can dig a nicely chiseled set of abs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi

Secondly, wear more.

Good gods, dude, no! This is way, WAY too much of nearly any scent I can think of. That is extra-true at work, where you need to be sensitive to the comfort of your co-workers as well as your clients/customers. What if one of them has asthma, or the surprisingly common scent-triggered type of migraines, or just a dislike of heavy scents in a room? I had a secretary for awhile who wore enough of one famous high-end scent that by the end of the day I could TASTE the damn stuff. It was miserable for everyone there but her, and she would promise to do better but would soon be all but hosin' it on with a pressure washer again. The rule our moms taught us is still the civilized one, IMH but not isolated O: Make your scent a nice little secret between you and the person sitting next to you, not an announcement to the whole room.