Code of Conduct
    Guest05

Default 'Straight to Heaven': Not really, rather 'straight' off to tangential smell thoughts

Last edited by Guest05; 10th March 2012 at 04:19 AM.

Default Re: 'Straight to Heaven': Not really, rather 'straight' off to tangential smell thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Asaskian View Post
    [FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="3"]I always wonder what makes Monsieur Kilian Hennessy decide on such names for his fragrances.
    They are pretty out there, aren't they?

Default Re: 'Straight to Heaven': Not really, rather 'straight' off to tangential smell thoughts

. . . one is forced to realize the intricate connection of smell and taste. Some say, taste (taste-buds) can't work fully without olfactory receptors' support . . .
    Indeed taste-buds are surprisingly limited when it comes to the appreciation of food (and other things detected via the mouth) - they only detect five basic flavours - for the rest we rely on various other factors, including the olfactory bulb, which together make up the sensation of taste.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Guest05

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

hednic: I know... they're a tad bit over the top.
    "A tad bit over the top" would make a suitable name for a By Kilian fragrance.

Guest05

My nose does not perceive many similarities between 1697 and Straight to Heaven. I like them both, but I would never qualify Straight to Heaven as a gourmand. To me it is very dry, while 1697 smells a bit fruity. Like warm wine with spices. I don't wear Straight to Heaven often, but I think it can be enjoyed in all weathers. I find 1697 a bit overpowering on a warm day.
    Evenstar

Guest05

Lately I have been fascinated with patchouli. I don't know why...
    It is interesting to me how different patchouli smells in Straight to Heaven, compared to Coromandel, Borneo, and the new Patchouli Imperial. I guess the patchouli note plays well with other elements that result in different accords, as opposed to notes like vetiver, that always smell the same.
    Evenstar

Guest05

Last edited by Guest05; 10th March 2012 at 04:18 AM.

That is true Chris... but then I didn't want to go into the whole taste/smell neuronal pathway discussion.
    For brevity's sake, it's not just olfactory bulb and nuclei (cortex), but the interconnection of glossopharyngeal/facial nerves' (taste) communication with olfactory nuclei.

hednic: I know... they're a tad bit over the top.
    The Wiki article I linked to earlier has an excellent exposition of all the main elements and how they work - Wikipedia is like the girl with the curl on forehead . . . and in this particular instance it's very very good.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Guest05

I like many of the by Kilian perfumes, but I don't think people should take offense if you don't like them. With so many perfumes in the market and so many classic masterpieces, it is impossible to like everything. In my opinion, likes and dislikes are very personal and should be respected.
    Evenstar

Guest05

I also find it infinitely amusing when folks get all hot and bothered about something as fragrant as perfumes.
    Yes, the love of perfume should be a unifying force.
    What would you compare StH with, what would be a more pleasant alternative for you (other than 1627)?
    Evenstar

Guest05

Last edited by Guest05; 10th March 2012 at 04:17 AM.

I have not tried Patchouly Rosso yet. Have you tried the new Dior Patchouli Imperial? You may like it.
    I am not familiar with the "hype" over StH.
    Evenstar