Code of Conduct

Default I haven't been able to find my perfect signature fragrance. Suggestions?

Hi! I'm relatively new to the world of perfumes--I started wearing them around 3 years ago. I've sampled quite a few, but I haven't been able to find the perfect scent. I don't know enough about perfume notes and how they go together to figure out what I should be looking for. I'll try to go into as much detail as I can!

My dream perfume would be fresh, crisp, and mysterious. It would not be fruity or overly musky/powdery. I don't know very much about greens vs citrus vs oriental, but I think that it might be a combination of the three. I do think that citrus top notes draw me in, but that's about all I can figure out.

What I like
    --------------
    - I really like the citrus and 'warm' notes in Coco Mademoiselle. It's a little too rich for me, however. I must be in the right mood to wear it. It has been the perfume that I've worn the most.
    - I love the orchid notes in Flowerbomb and Black Orchid. I'm not as big of a fan of the sweetness and extreme florals, but I definitely still wear both. I love the cutting 'darker' note of the orchid. I've been wearing Flowerbomb a lot, but it really doesn't seem like me. I think I'm just wearing it for the orchid.
    -I enjoyed Miss Pucci during the summer months. It seemed almost perfect, but then it began to bore me. I wanted something 'more' from it.
    - I feel the same way about Fresh Sugar Lychee. It was wonderful for awhile during the light summer months, but I no longer want to wear it.
    - Finally, I love unisex and male colognes. Clean Cotton T-Shirt really grabs me, but I want something more complex.
    -Tocca Florence was nice for awhile, but it is too floral. I love that it is a little mysterious, though.

What I do not like
    --------------
    -Pink Sugar is vile
    -Tommy Girl smells like alcohol
    -Kate Spade Twirl smells terrible
    -Light Blue just smelled like tobacco and disgusted me, which was surprising. It seemed like it'd be the perfect perfume from the description!
    -Juicy Couture perfumes are not appealing at all
    -Escada perfumes are generally far too fruity. I don't think I like fruity perfumes.
    -Stella does not sit well with me, although I have friends who love it.

Do you have any suggestions? What should I try? I'm willing to answer any questions! I hope that my negatives didn't come off too strongly; I just wanted to explain what didn't appeal to me!
    Last edited by habanero; 10th October 2011 at 01:59 AM.

Default Re: I haven't been able to find my perfect signature fragrance. Suggestions?

Just keep looking. You may never find your "perfect" frag, but it is fun to look (or smell rather).

After many, many samples I finally found one I think is head and shoulders above all the rest... unfortunately, it isn't cheap:

Puredistance M:

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=53001

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: I haven't been able to find my perfect signature fragrance. Suggestions?

Dorje123 hit the nail on the head. The search for the 'perfect fragrance' will introduce you to so many great scents. You may decide not to have a signature scent after all and wear something different almost every day.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    You may decide not to have a signature scent after all and wear something different almost every day.
    That's true... I'd say I'm more into a rotation rather than a "signature scent". While M is by far the best frag I have ever tried, it shares in the rotation. I probably use M and Terre d'Hermes more than anything else I own, but many others get worn regularly. Like most people on BN, you might get tired of using the same frag all the time.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I have accepted the fact that there is no single perfect signature fragrance for me. And that's just fine; it means I have more options to consider & enjoy!

I like Tocca Florence & Coco Mademoiselle is one of my favourites from Chanel. Have you tried anything from Chanel's Les Exclusifs range? I think you might enjoy 28 La Pausa or the freshly airy Bel Respiro.

From the male-marketed side, perhaps Hermes Terre d'Hermes edt? I find it ticks the boxes for fresh, crisp yet mysterious. I'm sure other BNers will be right along with even more options for you to consider.

Welcome to BAENOTES!

Finding the perfect perfume, if it even exists, requires smelling hundreds of things - which is fun in itself, as others were saying.

I love green perfumes a lot, here are some examples:
    Chanel Cristalle: clean and fresh, in an almost icy way (it has been described as the icy queen). Chanel No.19 might be worth checking out too.
    Bandit: a blast of green over s&m leather. this is likely not what you're looking for, but worth smelling.
    Metal (paco rabanne): green flowers with a strange, mysterious mineral note
    Gucci Envy: green floral
    In niche territory, and harder to find, Futur (Piguet), Temps d'une fete (patricia de nicolai)

I also second diamondflame's idea of iris. Iris is suitably clean and elegant, but has some darker, rooty aspect to it. La Pausa would be a fresh iris (excellent, though unfortunately rather short lived). In niche territory, Iris silver mist by Serge Lutens (an over the top rooty iris, unfortunately available only in Paris), and Le Labo Iris.

cacio

Eventually you will find one worthy of becoming your signature.

Blog Entries

Relatively new is the operative phrase! For me three years seems like alot of time, since I began this past February. Good luck on your search. What's the Taoist saying? It's not the destination it's the journey?
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Nobody can tell you what your signature fragrance is, all you can do is lead a very fragrant life and sample, sample, sample. I hope you find your "holy grail"

Why do you want to have signature fragrance. It is quite possible that there is couple of thousand people that will have same signature fragrance as you. Just enjoy in fragrances that you love and forget about "signatures".
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale.
    Bois 1920 Sutra Ylang.

In general, just get samples of the Bois 1920 line. If that doesn't work, get samples of the Parfumerie Generale line.

Yes, yes, I'm recommending my favorites, but these two lines are, IMO, high quality, moderately different from the average, and quite pleasing. The Serge Lutens line, as a contrast, is extremely different from the average (at least, until the last few scents) and therefore less reliably pleasing, though when you do fall in love with a Lutens you fall pretty hard.

Thank you for all of the replies. I did not realize that a 'signature fragrance' was an unnecessary thing. I will continue to sample and partake in all! I'd just heard so much about needing a signature that I assumed I should find one.

Sutra Ylang by Bois 1920 sounds like the perfect scent for me. I will try it. Floral fresh oriental with opening citrus notes?! Thank you, ChickenFreak (hahaha). I just purchased samples and will update on my reaction.
    Last edited by habanero; 14th October 2011 at 01:44 AM.

Cartier Delices EDP? I think you'll love it!

Tom Ford Santal Blush