Code of Conduct

Red face Church vibe, candle-wax + incense

I know it's quite creepy, but after smelling Comme des Garcons 2 MAN for the first time, I realized how much I liked the church smell when I was young...

The top-heart notes on this are wonderful, however, since I don't particularly love its drydown, anyone know any similar scent?
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Default Re: Church vibe, candle-wax + incense

Messe de Minuit by Etro

I love CDG2 man too. There are many churchy incenses (eg Avignon and Zagorsk), but I cannot think of anything with the candle-wax.

My other Italian catholic-church-memory perfume is Hindu Kush by La via del profumo, which obtains the effect not via candle-wax, but via a sort of camphoraceous floor-wax, like a well kept church. (Unfortunately, it is not very durable on me, so it wouldn't solve your cdg2 duration problem anyway)

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Messe de Minuit by Etro
    This

Avignon but it doesnt have the candle wax aspect.

for swap/sale:

Full Incense by Montale

Around Midnight by Marc Buxton is a re-worked version of Avignon to my nose. It's less harsh, but still has that churchy incense vibe. It smells like cold air on a crisp night with frankincense burning. There's no candle note to it, but there's a really nice dose of chamomile that is relaxing and cool - it might give you a similar vibe to candles and incense. At the same time, I'm sorry to say I haven't smelled anything that smells exactly like a church with candles and incense burning.

The closest thing I can think of after Around Midnight would have to be Cologne pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurdkjian. It has a churchy vibe (frankincense in the base) and there's a huge dose of soft benzoin in it, that reminds me of wax sometimes.

Good luck and don't forget to post back once you've tried some of the recs here.
    Sales thread here

Heeleys Cardinal is all about that church vibe.

I second the suggestion of Montale Full Incense

That "waxy" smell from the aldehydes is one of the characteristics that makes CdG2 Man so unique. I agree with the others that Etro's Messe de Minuit is a close relative; the combo of its bright orange top note and the lurking honey note, combined with the frankincense, bring to mind CdG 2 Man's burning candle vibe. But MdM is less brutal, and has a "dampness" that's not present in CdG2, it's also a bit more complicated than the amazingly simple 2Man.

Definitely Full Incense

Messe de Minuit by Etro
    Yes coming from s catholic school background this on hits it right on the head of dark brown mahogany wood incense and during candle wax

Gucci Pour Homme I

Messe de Minuit by Etro
    ++1

No.88

Le Labo vetiver 46 has a church vibe to me.

+1 for Gucci Pour Homme 1. Also, Tommy Bahama original (brown bottle) kind of has that same vibe as well.

Heeley Cardinal and Cdg Avignon are practically the same frag...what you could do is get the Avignon candle and use the wax as solid perfume, that I think would do the trick...Avignon brings me back to Easter mass but it's so wearable
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Basenotes Institution

Messe de Minuit by Etro
    This

Try to find vintage juice, the new juice on shelves is not as good.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Try to find vintage juice, the new juice on shelves is not as good.
    I absolutely agree. The vintage version (round label, I think) is incredibly rich in dry down stages. Almost not even the same scent, sadly, as the newer stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Towers View Post
    I know it's quite creepy, but after smelling Comme des Garcons 2 MAN for the first time, I realized how much I liked the church smell when I was young...

The top-heart notes on this are wonderful, however, since I don't particularly love its drydown, anyone know any similar scent?
    Good that I read this. That fragrance was on my wish-list, but if smells like church I am staying away from it.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Thank you all for the suggestions! Adding them to my samples list hehe

Quote Originally Posted by tiberije View Post
    Good that I read this. That fragrance was on my wish-list, but if smells like church I am staying away from it.
    Nooo!! At least I think you should test it, it's only my/our impression, you could probably enjoy it anyway for another reason...
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Quote Originally Posted by tiberije View Post
    i don't particularly like this vein of fragrances (church incense style , etc) but CdG 2 man is amazing!!!!! gives you more than you think.. and the most important, works very good on the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    i don't particularly like this vein of fragrances (church incense style , etc) but CdG 2 man is amazing!!!!! gives you more than you think.. and the most important, works very good on the skin.
    Maybe I'll try sample but I am definitely not a fun of church/medieval/incense based scents.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Vintage MdM. Screw those a**holes at Etro for ruining every single fragrance. Also Curiosities candle by Diptyque. It is a candle however LOL

I haven't tried most of the other fragrances that are dominating this thread so, I can't compare but when I fell hard for Bond No 9's Silver Factory a few year's back, it was largely due to the very prominant incense note(s), which to my nose is super churchy - and IMO, can easily be worn with or without Catholic guilt.

Amouage Honour Man - more waxy than CdG2 Man. Kind of a stony/woody austere incense.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Amouage Honour Man
    This! I'll add Carthusia 1681, Linari Acqua Santa and Profumum Olibanum (the latter has a sealing wax vibe)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Excellent thread. Especially because in Orthodox church where I come from, the candle-wax/incence factor is even stronger