Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Conundrum ?? ~ If JHAG's "Not a Perfume" & "Molecule 02" are ....

... supposed to both be "single-molecule-only" perfumes, i.e. just plain ol' diluted Ambroxan in a bottle, and nothing else. Then, I ask, why the hell don't they actually smell exactly the same as one another ???

Surely the exact same molecule, if say produced by two different sources, wouldn't smell that divergent from one another ? Shouldn't they smell exactly the same ?

Isn't Ambroxan supposed to smell like Ambroxan ???

Or what am I missing ??? ... Do these two scents really smell the same to you guys ??? Or am I really the only one who thinks these smell different ? (And can't understand why.)

"The earth laughs in flowers" - (E.E.Cummings)

------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Conundrum ?? ~ If JHAG's "Not a Perfume" & "Molecule 02" are ....

I think they mean the predominant or dominating note is Ambroxan.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Basically, they're lying.

If you've ever tried on real chemical ambroxan, it's a basenote. It smells vaguely light and metallic for a few minutes and then pretty much smells like nothing for a couple of hours before blooming into that rich creamy animalic incense-ish sort-of-ambery smell that we know it as.

No company would ever release pure ambroxan because people would try it on and say it didn't smell like anything, not being able to give it enough time. So they basically have to "enhance" it with similar notes, hence the differences between the two. Then they lie about it because us perfume freaks want to smell the real ingredients...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    No company would ever release pure ambroxan because people would try it on and say it didn't smell like anything, not being able to give it enough time. So they basically have to "enhance" it with similar notes, hence the differences between the two.
    Makes perfect sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Basically, they're lying.

If you've ever tried on real chemical ambroxan, it's a basenote. It smells vaguely light and metallic for a few minutes and then pretty much smells like nothing for a couple of hours before blooming into that rich creamy animalic incense-ish sort-of-ambery smell that we know it as.

No company would ever release pure ambroxan because people would try it on and say it didn't smell like anything, not being able to give it enough time. So they basically have to "enhance" it with similar notes, hence the differences between the two. Then they lie about it because us perfume freaks want to smell the real ingredients...
    I don't know. As I have read on various blogs from amateur perfumers, who have compared "Molecule 02" against their very own sample of just plain diluted Ambroxan, and that it indeed smells practically the same. (Which is of course the whole concept behind Escentric Molecules' "molecule" side of the range.)

Not that I dispute that fragrance houses wouldn't lie, of course. As we know for a fact that they are notorious for it. ... So if anyone is lying here, then I propose that it is possibly JHAG, as it differs from the Molecule 02 one which indeed seems to smell just like diluted Ambroxan and nothing else.