Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Where does this hobby end? Need words from the wise

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    This hobby is like going to a fine restaurant and being able to sample and buy all the dishes without ever getting full. There's also an element of freedom to it. Each scent taking you on a different journey.
    So true, well said

Back in 2007 or so, my collection consisted of Curve and Curve Crush. Later that year I bought my first nice cologne, Acqua Di Gio. At that time it was the most amazing smelling cologne I've laid my nostrils on. I didn't think it was possible to top it but I tried. In 2008 my collection consisted of:

Acqua Di Gio
    Polo Blue
    Burberry Brit
    Abercrombie Fierce
    JPG Le Male
    D&G Pour Homme
    Lacoste Essential
    Lacoste Style N Play
    Curve
    Curve Crush
    Versace Blue Jeans

I wasn't really a fragrance collector then, I just liked smelling good and I got lots of compliments from Curve and ADG. My fragrance collecting really picked up sometime last year. I believe it started with Geir by Geir Ness. I read on perfumeemporium that it was a longer lasting Acqua Di Gio (Not even remotely similar). I couldn't buy it locally so I blind bought it at Nordstrom. I received a sample of Pure Havane with it and I read reviews about PH here on BN. I found out it was going to soon become rare and it smelled great so I bought 3 bottles of it. Around that time I was trying desperately to find Ruehl No 925 Signature and due to it's high price, I blind bought Rive Gauche b/c I read they were identical. Well, I could go on and on about how I went from 10 bottles to 80 in less than a year, but you get the point. My eyes were opened up a lot this past year and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. I am running out of shelf space though haha.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I don't believe that this hobby ever ends.....I know that it will not end for me.....Not while I'm living anyway!!!
    Gary
    Gary, what IS the hobby? Is it discovering or is it just buying? When I look through the posts in this forum it is about buying - people rave about fragrances that haven't even been released ! Worse is, they rave about 'notes', which do not really exist in modern perfumery due to the fact that the art (if any) lies in the seeeemlesss mixture, rather than in the single components. So they can't hooray for the real potential merits but about a very rough storyline. The latter replicated with every fifth perfume.

This kind of devotion can become bothersome for people standing outside of THAT hobby. To praise nearly mindlessly every new release as a revelation of whatever kind of truth is uneducated at best. What I really miss so hard is a knowing talk about the inner mechanisms of perfume, its appreciation, its cultural context.

Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    For me, I have yet to envision the finality of my fragrance collecting hobby. Still waiting for the "sign"
    The sign for you is death, my friend...

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Back in 2007 or so, my collection consisted of Curve and Curve Crush. Later that year I bought my first nice cologne, Acqua Di Gio. At that time it was the most amazing smelling cologne I've laid my nostrils on. I didn't think it was possible to top it but I tried. In 2008 my collection consisted of:

Acqua Di Gio
    Polo Blue
    Burberry Brit
    Abercrombie Fierce
    JPG Le Male
    D&G Pour Homme
    Lacoste Essential
    Lacoste Style N Play
    Curve
    Curve Crush
    Versace Blue Jeans

I wasn't really a fragrance collector then, I just liked smelling good and I got lots of compliments from Curve and ADG. My fragrance collecting really picked up sometime last year. I believe it started with Geir by Geir Ness. I read on perfumeemporium that it was a longer lasting Acqua Di Gio (Not even remotely similar). I couldn't buy it locally so I blind bought it at Nordstrom. I received a sample of Pure Havane with it and I read reviews about PH here on BN. I found out it was going to soon become rare and it smelled great so I bought 3 bottles of it. Around that time I was trying desperately to find Ruehl No 925 Signature and due to it's high price, I blind bought Rive Gauche b/c I read they were identical. Well, I could go on and on about how I went from 10 bottles to 80 in less than a year, but you get the point. My eyes were opened up a lot this past year and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. I am running out of shelf space though haha.
    You inspire me to sacrifice a few meals to buy fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by icanzapyou View Post
    You inspire me to sacrifice a few meals to buy fragrance.
    No need to sacrifice meals. Just eat lots of Ramen noodles

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

No need to sacrifice meals. Just eat lots of Ramen noodles
    lol, true there cheap and will fill you up

Meh, my plan is to just keep a 8-10 bottle rotation, give or take. Wearing my favorites. As my tastes change, I sell on ebay to finance new bottles. I also buy lots of sample vials to keep things fresh and keep discovering. I like to get decent mileage out of my mainstays.

Just my personal system, but it's a good way to not spend a million dollars, get my nose on everything, and enjoy and use the bottles in my top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    Meh, my plan is to just keep a 8-10 bottle rotation, give or take. Wearing my favorites. As my tastes change, I sell on ebay to finance new bottles. I also buy lots of sample vials to keep things fresh and keep discovering. I like to get decent mileage out of my mainstays.

Just my personal system, but it's a good way to not spend a million dollars, get my nose on everything, and enjoy and use the bottles in my top 10.
    True

It's simple...it doesn't

Why So Serious?

It's hard to end a hobby, especially a hobby as addictive as this one where selections seem to be limitless. However, it's definitely possible to be on a hiatus, I'm speaking from first hand experience. I took a 3 year hiatus from this hobby due to personal reasons and life changes. I have not bought a single fragrance within that 3 years. However, I got into another hobby (and lived out my once high school dream) - modifying cars. That hobby was even more costly lol and I realized how much I could have saved and used that money towards things that were more useful.

Now that i'm married and wife is expecting, the car hobby just doesn't fit into this stage of life. Hence i'm back in this frag hobby to release some stress, this is aromatherapy at its finest.

I can say that my nose has matured through out the good times of this hobby, and I was able to downsize from 60+ bottles to 20 bottles. I agree with lots of BNers about swapping samples to keep the interest alive while saving money. I've done lots of swaps since I reconnected with this hobby, samples are my best cure for craving a new bottle. I now have more samples than bottles. Variety is key (as to many other hobbies), but this might be a temporary solution. And really, I agree with the ones that say bankruptcy can end any hobbies, or when life throws you a curve ball. But I think over time, most would develop some kind of self control and consciousness because eventually, we all have to go back to reality one way or another.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Its like any other addiction. You goto rehab once in a while but the itch never really goes away. You learn to be watchful and mindful of your finances and learn to enjoy more of what you have rather than coveting of "all the great stuff out there", or so it may seem at the moment.

But at the end of it, its all just some chemicals mixed together that produce an olfactory stimuli. The world wont end without yet another overhyped sensory stimuli.

Mind you, a lot of my disillusionment comes from a significant other who has really worked hard to correct me of my hoarding and sample-splurging habits.

Last words: Take the road of the zen, the whole world is full of beauty.

I've got 40 something and I actually wear all of my fragrances, though some less than others. I get "cravings" for ones I haven't worn in a while, too!

There is no end, there's only the clearly marked exit.

this is safer than crack

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    It's hard to end a hobby, especially a hobby as addictive as this one where selections seem to be limitless. However, it's definitely possible to be on a hiatus, I'm speaking from first hand experience. I took a 3 year hiatus from this hobby due to personal reasons and life changes. I have not bought a single fragrance within that 3 years. However, I got into another hobby (and lived out my once high school dream) - modifying cars. That hobby was even more costly lol and I realized how much I could have saved and used that money towards things that were more useful.

Now that i'm married and wife is expecting, the car hobby just doesn't fit into this stage of life. Hence i'm back in this frag hobby to release some stress, this is aromatherapy at its finest.

I can say that my nose has matured through out the good times of this hobby, and I was able to downsize from 60+ bottles to 20 bottles. I agree with lots of BNers about swapping samples to keep the interest alive while saving money. I've done lots of swaps since I reconnected with this hobby, samples are my best cure for craving a new bottle. I now have more samples than bottles. Variety is key (as to many other hobbies), but this might be a temporary solution. And really, I agree with the ones that say bankruptcy can end any hobbies, or when life throws you a curve ball. But I think over time, most would develop some kind of self control and consciousness because eventually, we all have to go back to reality one way or another.
    I was big into modifying cars a few years back. I put more money than I'd care to admit into my GTI and all I have to show for it is a stupidly fast hatchback that looks awesome. Bummer.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

this is safer than crack
    Barely...

this is safer than crack
    Lol, but way more expensive with some amazing side affects

Heartbreak and the poor house--
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

It weakens when the other things you're into begin to drown it out. Those things exist. :-)

But the sense of smell if powerful, and if you ever had any kind of real interest in fragrances you'll probably keep having some interest in them for a long time.
    Last edited by pluran; 1st March 2012 at 03:43 PM.

I'm loving this thread!
    I, too, am trying to switch to the "rather decants than bottles", but it's hard for me, a variety whore (rather than collector), to just gather ugly bottles when I could have at least one or two originals of each line.
    Now my three problems with this are: I'm spending too much money I could use on other things, I am running out of shelf space, and I am thinking about moving away from Spain and I am faced with the terrible problem of how to take my collection with me...
    So I am definitely going to slow down on the FB purchases, I guess.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Acqua Di Gio
    Polo Blue
    Burberry Brit
    Abercrombie Fierce
    JPG Le Male
    D&G Pour Homme
    Lacoste Essential
    Lacoste Style N Play
    Curve
    Curve Crush
    Versace Blue Jeans

I'm running out of shelf space and CASH!!!

You will never make this hobby end, it will end you lol

Where does it end? For many, like myself, with a loved-one spritzing Zino on the inside of my casket.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Blog Entries

It appears, for me, when my last bottle is poured over my urn.

We smell the aroma and drift on the fragrance briefly. Then we die. But does it end? . . . I don't think so.

It has no end.