Code of Conduct

Question The best "extraits du parfum " for your collection / wardrobe

We mention sparingly, in a broadly scope several "extraits ".
    Shall we mention the 5 best...From the best to the "less best ".
    What is your best choice ?
    tks
    al

Default Re: The best "extraits du parfum " for your collection / wardrobe

Not enough extraits in my collection. Plus vintage vs non vintage could make a huge difference. For currently available:
    Bandit, Cuir de Russie, Onda, Tiare, Jicky.

cacio

I dont own much extraits too but Habit Rouge is gorgeous and my favorite (also it now have its own directory entry).
    Incridibly rich and warm.

Another favorites:

Shalimar (Vintage, the legend)
    Puredistance M (Ultra high end chypre/fougere 80s masculine)
    Bal a Versailles (Oriental skanky monster)
    Opium (Quite rich and personal clovey buttery oriental)
    Terre dHermes (very modern)

I own more one or two but those are my favorites.

Must by Cartier.

Habit Rouge (I wish I owned this one...)
    Shalimar
    Ma Griffe
    Opium
    Bal a Versailles
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Puredistance- M

Guerlainista

Vintage Shalimar, by several lengths

then,
    Vol de Nuit
    Mitsouko
    Habit Rouge
    Bal a Versailles.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Onda
    Vol De Nuit
    Tabac Blond
    Jicky
    Cuir De Russie

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Chanel: Cuir de Russie
    Caron: Tabac Blond
    Guerlain: Jicky
    l'Heure Bleue (vintage)
    Liù (I have a few precious drops thanks to a certain BNer).

My favourite extracts:

1. Bal a Versailles (not-made-in-USA-vintage *only*){Majestic oriental incence/musk/woods}
    2. Habanita (discontinued. near impossible to find. Very expensive. Worth it) {pipe tobacco}
    3. Jicky (current reform is about as tenacious as a weak cologne, but luxurious none the same) {Lavender/musk}
    4. Back to Black (by Killian) This *is* an extract--4x more potent than a guerlain "parfum" {Honey/Tobacco}
    5. Caline (Jean Patou) {Complex Green Chypre: Very Original}
    6. Moment Supreme (Jean Patou) {Complex Lavender-based Oriental}
    7. Jolie Madame (Pierre Balmain, vintage only) {Extreme Leather}
    8. Miss Balmain (Pierre Balmain, vintage only) {Extreme Suede}
    9. Zibeline (Weil, vintage only) {Suave animalistic Musk with chypre undertone}
    10. Antilope (Weil, vintage only) {Suave animalistic dry chypre}

These are all superb extracts for a man to wear. Extracts are really the best form of scent for a man as they project *much less* than any EDT, EDP, PDT, or EDC, which is always more alluring, and develop beautifully. Furthermore, only a very slight application by fingertip is required to the temples/sideburns the base of the neck, the wrists, and the lower abdomen. Extracts are perfect for traveling and a small screw-cap vial may be kept at all times in the breast pocket of a blazer. Extracts make perfect "punctuation" for your favourite EDT.
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

The best, IMO:

Vol de Nuit
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Chanel No, 5
    Bal A Versailles
    Habit Rouge
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Tribute and Homage by Amouage

Puredistance M.

Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    These are all superb extracts for a man to wear. Extracts are really the best form of scent for a man as they project *much less* than any EDT, EDP, PDT, or EDC, which is always more alluring, and develop beautifully.
    I fully concur. Unfortunately the Basenotes hype is all about projection AND longevity (most people fail to understand that these 2 qualities are opposite: projection requires high volatility whereas a long lasting fragrance's molecules evaporate slowly therefore do not project much).

Others have listed solid references too. I just want to add Chanel Bois des Iles and Chanel N°19 and some lesser known Hermès Extraits (vintage only, Calèche and Amazone).

I am not sure there is still a Chanel Coco extrait (not Mademoiselle) but it would be gorgeous.

I personally own Jicky, Shalimar, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko (not listed in this thread yet? ) and Vol de Nuit in extrait concentration. I agree that Jicky somewhat lags behind the other Guerlain extraits in terms of longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Reminiscent View Post
    I fully concur. Unfortunately the Basenotes hype is all about projection AND longevity (most people fail to understand that these 2 qualities are opposite: projection requires high volatility whereas a long lasting fragrance's molecules evaporate slowly therefore do not project much).
    Finally someone said that....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

From my collection:

Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea
    Kilian Back to Black (is this really an extrait?)
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Soivohle Solstice

+2.

Naturally, but is it not up to some of us who know better, more importantly, that see fluently through "hype" to educate and inform? A Gentleman should avoid at all costs parading about in a cloud of fragrance: Explosive sillage is *never* attractive on a man, regardless of age, sexual preference, culture: This merely comes across as gauche. "Basenotes Hype" seems also to be all about CREED. Is is for as much that we are all rushing up the avenue Pierre Premier de Serbie de listen to their stories? My thought is this: While I fully appreciate those who disagree with my own tastes and viewpoints, I also know that those who take heed and consider them without becoming impassioned and self defensive will be well served to do so: Either scenario is perfectly fine with me. In the end, "Basenotes Hype" should mean nothing more to the discerning gentleman than any such "hype." N'est-ce pas?
    Last edited by le mouchoir de monsieur; 19th July 2012 at 04:50 AM.

Banned

I regret that I have not bought the very expensive extrait of Opium at a time when this perfume was more or less untouched by disfiguring reformulations.

I have to agree with the considerations "how a real gentleman should wear a fragrance" - but only under the premise that the essence of gentlemanly behaviour is a high degree of thoughtfulness while operating in social contexts. I myself am not a fan of this "cult of quiet". I would also attribute the list delivered by le mouchoir de monsieur to a dandy rather than a gentleman.

Puredistance M
    Epic Woman Extrait by Amouage
    Tabac Blond by Caron
    Aromatics Elixir Perfumer's Reserve LE Extrait by Clinique
    Oudh Lacquer by Soivohle
    Underworld by Soivohle
    Tobacco & Tulle by Soivohle

I heard that the Tom Ford Private Blend are somewhere in the neighborhood of 20+% percent concentration, so does that qualify them as Extraits?
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    Naturally, but is it not up to some of us who know better, more importantly, that see fluently through "hype" to educate and inform? A Gentleman should avoid at all costs parading about in a cloud of fragrance: Explosive sillage is *never* attractive on a man, regardless of age, sexual preference, culture: This merely comes across as gauche.
    Yes and this is precisely where extraits fit the bill for a man: high quality ingredients, high concentration so no need to spray a cloud around you, high longevity.

Extraits are also about patience since the topnotes are very low-key. The perfume might start to deliver at least 10 to 20 min only after aplication.

As a side note I remember reading Luca Turin (or was it Tania Sanchez?) writing how distasteful the use of fragrance as an hygienic routine is: 1. shave, 2. apply lotion, 3. brush teeth, 4. comb, 5. (over)spray 1 Million / Pure Malt / Aventus, 6. put on shirt, 7. kiss wife, 8. leave house. Lather, rinse, repeat 5 days a week.

There is something special about extraits that prevents them from being used as an hygienic routine. Extreme price point, heavy flacon, voluminous box for separate storage outside bathroom cabinets - let alone gym bags -, spraying not an option. But don't get me wrong, I do like fragrant hygienic routines and there are excellent Eaux de Cologne for that particular purpose. But MdM, you are a master of all things eaudecolognesque so I do not need to elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    I regret that I have not bought the very expensive extrait of Opium at a time when this perfume was more or less untouched by disfiguring reformulations.

I have to agree with the considerations "how a real gentleman should wear a fragrance" - but only under the premise that the essence of gentlemanly behaviour is a high degree of thoughtfulness while operating in social contexts. I myself am not a fan of this "cult of quiet". I would also attribute the list delivered by le mouchoir de monsieur to a dandy rather than a gentleman.
    We, the quiet worshippers of ataraxia, are the minority. I would like to quote Balzac, a dandy-lion, who wrote a treaty on elegance in life (that was due to include a chapter on cosmetics, eventually never published). I sit on Balzac's side (Traité de la Vie Elégante) against Jules Barbey d'Aurevilly's theories (Du Dandysme et de George Brummell).

Le Dandysme est une hérésie de la vie élégante (…), une affectation de la mode. En se faisant Dandy, un homme devient un homme de boudoir, un mannequin (comprendre : un mannequin de boutique) extrêmement ingénieux qui peut se poser sur un cheval ou sur un canapé, qui mord ou tète habilement le bout de sa canne; mais un être pensant ?...jamais. L'homme qui ne voit que la mode dans la mode est un sot. La vie élégante n’exclut ni la pensée, ni la science; elle les consacre. Elle ne doit pas apprendre seulement à jouir du temps, mais à l’employer dans un ordre d'idées extrêmement élevée.
    (bolding mine)

My translation of the bolded part:

An elegant life excludes neither Thought, nor Science: it consecrates them. It shall not merely be used for the enjoyment of time, but also for the use of it in a most thoughtful way.
    I found this excerpt particularly relevant to illustrate the role of extraits in perfumery: it's all about patience and reflection.

I rest my case.

I couldn't agree more with the sentiments expressed above - the whole projection and longevity thing does tend to get out of hand here.

Extraits I enjoy, (it goes without saying . . . 'the older the better')

Shalimar
    L'Heure Bleue
    Mitsouko
    Jicky
    Homage Attar
    Bois des Iles
    Cuir de Russie

I was given a small sample of Apres l'Ondee Extrai which was just wonderful stuff. I'm hoping to come across a stash of that and Sous le Vent in Extrait one day. There are plenty I have yet to try - always nice to have something to look forward to!

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post

The cult of quiet when it is a part of the cult of the gentleman, is largely nostalgic nonsense, all based on the premise that men, once upon a time, had far better manners and were morally, intellectually, and culturally superior to their ignominious male descendants. Of course that the vast majority of these long dead, but apparently infinitely superior, male specimens were rampant racists, sexists, homophobes, and regarded the working classes as only good for toil and service and whose patriarchal society was riven with obnoxiously oppressive social mores and offensive prejudices is all overlooked for the purposes of this mythology. If not slavishly aping the manners of these men is gauche, then call me Leftie.

The northern European "Gentleman" is a fiction, and not even a very attractive one for all his repression of self and others. The southern European Gentiluomo has at least some glamour about him, a touch of danger and a whiff of the backstreets.

OT- I have owned a couple of extraits, including Shalimar and l'Heure Bleue, they are more intense and do allow one to enjoy a composition in a somewhat more discrete and extended way. But they don't last any longer on me than an EdP would so I gave mine to my Grandmother and don't bother with them anymore.
    Last edited by Hilaire; 18th July 2012 at 04:30 PM.

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hilaire View Post
    Of course that the vast majority of these long dead, but apparently infinitely superior, male specimens were rampant racists, sexists, homophobes, and regarded the working classes as only good for toil and service and whose patriarchal society was riven with obnoxiously oppressive social mores and offensive prejudices is all overlooked for the purposes of this mythology. If not slavishly aping the manners of these men is gauche, then call me Leftie.

The northern European "Gentleman" is a fiction, and not even a very attractive one for all his repression of self and others. The southern European Gentiluomo has at least some glamour about him, a touch of danger and a whiff of the backstreets.
    Yes to that, and that, and that. Your exquisite thoughtfulness transcends any need to prove mere gentlemanship.

Quote Originally Posted by anomie et ivoire View Post
    Yes to that, and that, and that. Your exquisite thoughtfulness transcends any need to prove mere gentlemanship.

You're far too kind! I'm a feckless buffoon really

Finally! Too many threads here involve boors discussing how they can make random strangers smell their presence. In reality, if others notice your perfume it practically always means something is seriously wrong. Either you are wearing the wrong perfume, you are wearing too much of it, or they are much closer to you than they really should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo Lapin X View Post
    Finally! Too many threads here involve boors discussing how they can make random strangers smell their presence. In reality, if others notice your perfume it practically always means something is seriously wrong. Either you are wearing the wrong perfume, you are wearing too much of it, or they are much closer to you than they really should be.

Though of course it isn't in the least bit boorish to pass remark about the manners of others... is it?

Though of course it isn't in the least bit boorish to pass remark about the manners of others... is it?
    As long as no specific individuals are named, one can, of course, discuss manners as much as one likes.

One of my current favorites is Black Oud Extrait by LM Parfums

Anyone who knows me will attest that I am most certainly not a "dandy." (On one of those "question and answer" threads, quite awhile ago, BN member "Hednic" asked me: "What is the most errant judgment people pass upon you on BN?" (these were not his words: Obviously, they are mine. This, though, was his question. How he worded it, I can not remember.) My Answer: "That I am a 'Dandy.'" It amuses me, the very idea that anyone might imagine, by my mere words, that I should be "a "dandy." Be that as it may, it's all but amusement, you see. On that which concerns reflections on the term "gentleman," my only reaction to those would run thus: The company we keep will betray any and all of us more effectively than our clothes, or our mannerisms. Our words, though, our words, such as the many posted above, betray with unfailing clarity the company keep.

Banned

I only said that I would associate the scents of the list you delivered with a dandy rather than a gentleman; it was no judgement about you. I started from my own perception of these scents, and when wearing Habanita (vintage EdT) I feel like a Brazilian Shemale (major fault: I have no breasts).

I always enjoy it when people who talk a lot about the virtues of a gentleman and the apparent failure of others to adopt said virtues betray themselves for what they (more often than not) truly are - crashing Snobs. That condescension of others is deeply ungentlemanly seems always to have eluded them for all their fastidious attention to detail.
    Last edited by Hilaire; 19th July 2012 at 11:23 AM.

seems always to have alluded them
    You mean "eluded."

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo Lapin X View Post
    You mean "eluded."
    Of course I do, thank you for the correction.

No5!

Of course that the vast majority of these long dead, but apparently infinitely superior, male specimens were rampant racists, sexists, homophobes, and regarded the working classes as only good for toil and service and whose patriarchal society was riven with obnoxiously oppressive social mores and offensive prejudices is all overlooked for the purposes of this mythology. If not slavishly aping the manners of these men is gauche, then call me Leftie.

It's about time someone else trashed such a long-misguided notion. Thank you, Hilaire!

If you want to come across as ‘sophisticated’, by all means do but the desire to compare yourself to these despicable men of yore is an insult to all those who suffered during their putrid existence, as well as the grave repercussions of their attitudes and actions for generations to come. It’s naïve, delusional and smacks of contempt for the rest of humanity, both past and present.

Btw, screw your Jermyn Street fixations!

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I heard that the Tom Ford Private Blend are somewhere in the neighborhood of 20+% percent concentration, so does that qualify them as Extraits?
    Technically speaking, yes. The 250 ml jar (I am not sure I would call them "splash bottles", who would splash Tobacco Vanille from a 250 ml jar anyway? ) has a stopper with an great design for dabbing.

The same can be said for some of the Serge Lutens fragrances (the ones that used to come in the "haute concentration" black box).

I always enjoy it when people who talk a lot about the virtues of a gentleman and the apparent failure of others to adopt said virtues betray themselves for what they (more often than not) truly are - crashing Snobs. That condescension of others is deeply ungentlemanly seems always to have eluded them for all their fastidious attention to detail.