Code of Conduct

Default Frustrated: why do fragrances turn on me? Help!

I often find fragrances that smell delicious the first time I try them on me, usually my wrist if it's in the store, and wear them and sniff them all day. When I do go ahead and actually decide I'm not making a mistake and buy one, sometimes I can wear it for months and then bit by bit I'll just start feeling like I really stink with it on. Some last longer than others before I just can't stand them on me anymore. Am I doing something wrong, like choosing the wrong ones right from the start, or just wearing them at inappropriate times (like the wrong one in the wrong weather/season etc...). I've been buying perfume since my early teens and am now 30, and am still searching for that one perfume that is absolutely me, gets compliments and doesn't end up making me want to puke or have a huge headache. Is that really too much to ask? Any ideas? Maybe my body chemistry is just all wrong.

For info I'd love to find any fragrances like Hypnotic Poison, Right now Interested in and considering YSL Cinema and Versace Crystal Noir... alluring, sophisticated, dark, sweet.... whatever it is they are.

Here are a few I've owned in the past, and what they smelled like to me on me:

Teens: Hilfiger Tommy Girl (headACHE), CK Obsession (puke), CK Escape....
    Early 20's: Thierry Mugler Angel (I absolutely loved this perfume on one person alone, never anyone else. She smelled like heaven. I smelled like unwashed old man...wtf?)
    Issey Miyake Feu D'Issey: my favourite perfume ever, of course it would have to be the discontinued one. I loved how complex it was and how I kept getting completely different wiffs throughout the day. It also had both compliments and bad reviews from friends, one boyfriend told me bluntly he didn't like it.)
    Recently to Now: Cacherel Liberte..not really me. Kenzo Amour ; nice but turns, and too boring anyway. Dior J'Adore...love first notes but then turns ghastly. Chanel Coco Mlle> interesting, but not sure if it smells good on me...
    In 2010 I bought Michalsky, D&G The One and Narcisso Rodriguez, and gave them away...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Frustrated: why do fragrances turn on me? Help!

Oh dear, the first time I read the title of your thread, I thought it said: Why do fragrances turn me on? He he he, says a lot about my mind...

I think you can rule out the idea that your body chemistry somehow causes all fragrnaces to turn bad on your skin. What you are describing sounds to me more like changing preferences and possibly a sensitivity to certain chemicals.

Do you tend to wear one fragrance day-in day-out, or do you mix things up on a regular basis?
    Do you have a tendency to apply fragrances quite heavily?
    Have you tried any niche perfumes? (As a general rule, I find they often have a less 'synthetic' feel to them than designer scents).
    I'm wondering if these factors may be implicated in your woe.

Wearing perfume should be a joyous, uplifting, positive experience, so I really hope you get to the bottom of the problem.
    Probably others can offer a better response.

Post Thanks / Like

maybe searching for ONE thing you'll never get bored of is the mistake.
    fragrances don't have to be like spouses you know, and they are not jealous

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post

Lol, it's taken me all this time to realise this....

Well I did used to wear just the one perume at a time, until I got sick of it. I know, I know, terrible! I had never really put much thought into it. Now I do. I don't apply them heavily, no. I usually spray so some goes on my skin and some onto the fabric of my top, or else only on my skin.
    Thanks

Well I did used to wear just the one perume at a time, until I got sick of it. I know, I know, terrible! I had never really put much thought into it. Now I do. I don't apply them heavily, no. I usually spray so some goes on my skin and some onto the fabric of my top, or else only on my skin.
    Thanks

Definately try Cinema, but don't buy it blind. It's pretty and well behaved which doesn't always make for a long relationship in my book :)

Have you tried Lolita Lempicka or Bulgari Black? Both by the same perfumer as Hypnotic Poison. If you liked Angel, Lolita Lempicka might work - similar, but none of that butch patchouli. Black is unisex, full of the lovely musky vanilla in Hypnotic Poison, but with the florals turned right down and replaced with smokey tea.

If you like more amped up florals, I think Keiko Mecheri Datura Blanche is a lovely floral gourmand/oriental that you should try if you can. Notes are: datura, tuberose, jasmine, bitter almond, myrhh, heliotrope, tonka bean, vanilla and amber. Less vampy than Hypnotic Poison, but still compelling. Everything I've tried from their line is just incredibly wearable - not too shouty, no wierd suprises in the drydown.

Happy hunting!
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, could it be your hormones? No really certain times of the month you love something and then a week later its vile.
    So only wear when the moon is in the right phase.

Otherwise samples are the way to go. You get to wear for a few days before committing to a full bottle.
    DONNA

I like most of the above suggestions. Don't look for the Perfect Scent. Look for a wardrobe of scents (doesn't have to be a huge number.) Then wear different scents according to weather, your mood, etc. Have some heavy hitters and some that are quieter. I am wearing Calandre today, which is a lovely scent, but am not lovin' it. If I wear it, say, next week sometime, it will probably hit me entirely different.

I used to wear only one fragrance for a year or two, and there were times when I would question whether it still smelled right or was really any good. Now that I have a wardrobe, I have some variety.

Totally recommend Cinema!

Thank so much for the tips so far, will definitely try to obtain more testers before committing to a bottle, and will try them at different times of month and day: the three that I bought in Nov2010 smelled abstolutely delicious to me and then a few days later I couldn't stand them, then I realised I'd been 'on' my monthly cycle when I'd bought them and my nose had probably totally pulled one on me. I have now grasped the concept of having a wardrobe of scents rather than just one, and I'd never really considered that much until now, so it is definitely going to change my relationship with the perfumes I do buy. So today I'm off on a sniffing spree and will try Cinema again, plus sniff out Bulgari Black, Lempicka and the Keiko one if I can find it. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post

I just love this quote, and I apply this philosophy now. I didn't used to... I used to pressure myself to be faithful to one fragrance...

Post Thanks / Like

Hormones, diet, medications (?), expecting too much from one fragrance. Acquire a wardrobe of a few scents you like in various genres, so there will always be something to reach for. Enjoy your sniffing trip! My two cents and best intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by songstress3 View Post
    I used to pressure myself to be faithful to one fragrance...
    This is easy thinking to get in to.In fact,when I was younger it was kind of a given that every woman "should" have a signature scent.Luckily,I had a few perfumistas around to show me it didn't have to be that way,or I'd have worn nothing but Shalimar right up until my very last day on earth.Think of the scents I'd have missed out on!This is the fun part of the journey-you have your whole lifetime to discover those scents that belong in your collection.Also,set aside those you tire of and try again later;you may find you love them all over again after a "relationship break".
    The nose wants what it wants!

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

If I were you I would just go to a fragrance counter and try on like 5 scents every time. Write down the name of the scents and where they are on your arm...then smell each one about 25 minutes after spraying and see if you like them!

Loving all this advice, it's definitely giving me a new and more open way of thinking about fragrances. I have already begun the collecting! and just ordered samples of some that I'm curious about like Missoni, Black Orchid, Toccade, Kenzo La Jungle l'elephant and a few others.... just to see if one comes up that might be added to my collection. Are you getting an idea of my 'likes'? lol

Don't forget to check the men's side of the counter! Sometimes the unisex (Black for instance) will be over there and some scents that are marketed to the guys are great on us too!
    Bulgari Aqva Marine is on my to-buy-soon list and (similar to LT. Blue but better! it actually smells nice on me whereas Lt Blue does a fake apple/hairspray/choking"cedar" blech! on my skin.)
    You may want to give Givenchy Pi a sniff on the guy's side lavender and dry vanilla. I wear Burberry London mens too.
    A couple others - L by Lolita Lempicka and Fleur defendue (the green apple bottle with the lavender box)
    L is a vanilla spice cookie and FD a soft cherry? floral .
    Fragrance Omnivore

Thanks! Have ordered a set of Lolita Lempicka samples amongst others ... excited to test!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by songstress3 View Post
    I just love this quote, and I apply this philosophy now. I didn't used to... I used to pressure myself to be faithful to one fragrance...
    Glad to be of assistance