Code of Conduct

Default Magie Noire Oldish vs New

I have Lancome Magie Noire which goes back to late 90's.

Is there much different in it compared to the newer one in the glass bottle?

I am thinking of repurchasing sometime in the future and am not sure if I want the new one.

The counters never have testers for MN for a start.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Magie Noire Oldish vs New

I don't know what the older Magie Noire is like but the one I have ( bought last year ) is a dusty rose with a metallic tang to it. I love it but I heard it is not like the vintage .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Donna, I don't know what the 90's one smelt like but the mid-80s one I used to own had natural civet, which I liked, whereas I hate the civet note in the latest rendition. Overall, MN seems thinner and screechier than the "pulling scent" I remember from my youth!

But I am a little particular in my tastes...
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 9th October 2009 at 03:31 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

*Sticks nose in*

Hang on a minute ... did I hear this right? VM once had a scent that contained the dreaded civet? And -- if my memory of the 80s incarnation serves me well -- copious quantities of civet at that?

Jolly mysterious.

This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Strange but true! I must just be averse to synthetic civet, or that is what a more technically minded member concluded on my behalf.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I love the new Magie Noire! It's one of the less-expensive, smoky incense fragrances I can find. Huzzah for Lancome.

I have quite a collection of MNs. The best smelling one is the circular glass version that comes in a box that has those strange symbols all over (extremely perfumey). The latest one (clear rectangular glass) is not bad at all imo. So, for those who do not wish to fork out a tiny fortune for the vintages, i would say try the latest one. interestingly, i seem to see negative reviews on the version that comes in an all-black plastic bottle. i don't have that, so can't really comment...

What about this one? How is it dated? I have two bottles and I like the juice very much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Basenotes Member

Okay I tried some Magie Noire from The Perfumed Court and fell in love with it (note: they did not have it marked as vintage or anything). When I had the funds, I ordered a bottle of it for myself, and while it's definitely Magie Noire...I don't like it nearly as much. I can't exactly place my finger on it, but I feel like it's missing a few top or middle notes, or perhaps those notes simply aren't as intense as they were in my sample. The bottle I have does not look like Alicka61's. It is a plain square bottle with a rounded cap. If you are interested in this lovely perfume, my advice is to go to the store and sample the bottle you are going to buy yourself if you can- that way you can be sure you are getting what you want. Good luck!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61 View Post
    What about this one? How is it dated? I have two bottles and I like the juice very much.
    This is the one l have; l had one just like it in the mid eighties. My current vintage bottle was bought from ebay & still has that wickedly dark, mysterious richness. l'm wearing it right now, & every time l wear it it's like being re-united with an old flame!

The version in the rectangular, plain glass bottle is the modern reformulation. The drydown is similar, but it definitely lacks something in the top & heart notes; it seems thinner & greener somehow. Certainly not the Magie Noire that l know & love!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

yes.. the latest all glass rectangular bottle (as well as the huile parfum which i incidentally have 2 bottles of) smells definitely greener compared with the earlier version. so, for people buying MN to reconnect with old memories, they will be a tad disappointed. however, i find the greener versions pretty good in their own right... still beats a whole lot of chemical-smelling perfumes out there in the market.

i have seen reformulations which are far worse.. for eg. Jovan Sex Appeal for women. Love the vintage version (orange juice), but the new pink juice is a completely different fragrance... reeks of cheap plasticky florals. yikes...

I used to wear this all the time then, in the original format and no wonder I loved it if it's full of civet. I will go and have a snuffle to see which ones mine are. I have lots of small ones in the round bottles with only a bit of glass showing, encapsulated by black plastic. Which are those?

I did try the new all glass bottle some time ago, and it took a long time to settle into what Magie Noire used to be.
    DONNA

I tried the new one. Decent opening, but the lasting power was under 10 minutes. Shame on Lancome.