Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is considered a modern Vetiver ?

I have a few vetiver fragrances and have Grey vetiver on its way, but I was wondering what else I should look at as far as modern takes on vetiver dominant fragrances. I struggle with vetivers for some reason and dont like many. I do have Encre Noir, Givenchy, Guerlain. Anything softer and warmer ? My favorite is Encre Noir and I keep seeing Creed Original Vetiver come up and it sounds enticing. Something not so smokey, and I have a feeling Grey Vetiver is smokey too. But I have only sniffed it once.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: What is considered a modern Vetiver ?

Fat Electrician
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Creed Original Vetiver is a very soft take on vetiver. Its clean, fresh and crisp. Not smokey at all.

I think Grey Vetiver is a great bet in terms of a modern Vetiver - good call!
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

you may want to try Pal Zileri's Sartoriale for tones similar to Encre Noir. for softer versions of guerlain vetiver, you may want to try Mugler Cologne

Dior Vetiver.

Grey Vetiver and Vetiver Extraordinaire. Maybe Fat electrician, but I don't enjoy it.

Try these:

Jean Luc Amsler Homme
    Jeanne Arthes Les Lions des Arthes
    Vetyver Lanvin

All are very modern takes on vetiver, very different from Guerlain. They are also much softer and less heavy handed like Encre Noir (which is my new Holy Grail scent).

I have all thses and can decant them for you if you so desire...PM me.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Dude you would love OV and it really works very well in AZ. It opens bright and green with some resemblance to Mugler Cologne but not quite as soapy and much more natural. Then as it dries down the vetiver comes to the front but it still is a light vetiver, not smokey or all that dirty.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Grey Vetiver and Vetiver Extraordinaire. Maybe Fat electrician, but I don't enjoy it.
    Joe is right on the button on this one Fat Eletrician is not for everyone but going back to the original question "What is considered a modern Vetiver "? It really is modern!

Has anyone tried Tauer Vetiver Dance? Would this be considered a modern vetiver?

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Has anyone tried Tauer Vetiver Dance? Would this be considered a modern vetiver?
    I Did, and found it not really well rounded or refine and very, very green.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    I keep seeing Creed Original Vetiver come up and it sounds enticing.
    Although criticized by Luca Turin, I find Creed Original Vetiver beautiful. Soapy clean and modern. Lovely scent.

Many modern mainstream perfumes are usually sharp and chemical, but I guess that's not what you mean by modern. Luckily, Grey vetiver is clean, not smoky, and excellent too.

You are probably looking for sweetness with your vetiver (I don't). If so, I'd suggest you look into Vetiver Tonka and Vetyverio, and +1 Fat Electrician.

The most contemporary and avant-garde vetiver, however, is arguably Breath of God by Lush, and it is extremely smoky.

cacio

Perhaps Annick Goutal Vetiver

The entire Chanel Allure trio and Platinum Egoiste

Comme des Garçons 2 Man

Chanel Sycomore!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JDBIII View Post
    Chanel Sycomore!!!
    +1
    Beautiful rich vetiver - definitely soft and warm as per Nersh's request. Def worth a sample at least!

Also, TF Grey Vetiver isn't smokey, but rather clean and citrusy - a bit like Givenchy Vetyver but perhaps a little sharper.

I also agree that Grey Vetiver is a great choice for a modern take on vetiver, slightly subdued.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Although criticized by Luca Turin, I find Creed Original Vetiver beautiful. Soapy clean and modern. Lovely scent.
    +3 on Creed OV. Chanel Sycomore too smokey and TF Grey Vetiver too mono dimensional and near nauseating.

Martin

Hmm, Grey Vetiver +5

Quote Originally Posted by JDBIII View Post
    Chanel Sycomore!!!
    Can't believe it took 18 replies for Sycomore to come up. It's THE obvious choice.

Sycomore, vetiver extraordinaire, sel de vetiver, terre d'hermes, grey vetiver, vetyverio by diptyque, vetiver tonka (my fav), original vetiver, bleu de chanel, montale red vetiver - all of these I thoroughly enjoy and are worth a sampling. There are many more but I'm gonna stop here for now, lol

for a more warm less smokey vetiver, I +1 to Fat Electrician and Vetiver Tonka
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Modern takes on vetiver. I like this query.

Alright:

Annick Goutal's Vetiver
    Hermes' Vetiver Tonka
    Dior's Vetiver
    Diptyque's Vetyverio
    Serge Lutens' Vetiver Oriental

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Can't believe it took 18 replies for Sycomore to come up. It's THE obvious choice.
    It would be the obvious choice, IMO, if the question was a good (smoky or high end) vetiver.
    The OP asked for modern which to me means vetiver in a medley with uncommon notes.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    It would be the obvious choice, IMO, if the question was a good (smoky or high end) vetiver.
    The OP asked for modern which to me means vetiver in a medley with uncommon notes.
    +1

In that context I'd recommend the Creed Original Vetiver, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, and drumroll ... Hermessence Vetiver Tonka.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company

Chopard Noble Vetiver

I really wouldn't interpret Sycomore as modern myself. The whole Chanel Exclusive collection has a classic feeling to it.

I'd add Vetiver Tonka and Vetiver Oriental to my initial list (2 of my favorites, really). But I would not really consider them hardcore vetiver fragrance as I would with Encre Noire or Grey vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Fat Electrician
    ^ this pefectly fits the bill IMO. (modern, softer and warmer vetiver). I'll also add Panama 1924 Millesime which is a spicy (mainly cardamom) and slightly boozy take on vetiver. Think about a very natural mash-up between Terre (minus the synthetic vibe) and CDG Original. Another option could be Breath Of God (smoky vetiver and dried fruits) which is pretty bizarre but thoroghly enjoyable...and defintely modern.
    Last edited by alfarom; 12th October 2011 at 09:44 AM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Guest05

Last edited by Guest05; 10th March 2012 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asaskian View Post
    Folks, you got to be kidding me...
    No one has mentioned Maître Parfumeur et Gantier's Racine and Route de Vétiver? (preferably the 90ml bottles)
    And Nersh, the Vetiver in so-called modern scents is not a Vetiver per se... (Panache by Delrae/yes I'm not joking, it is a vetiver based scent and Coeur de Vétiver Sacré's loud fruity-tea jumble as well is centred on vetiver). If you are someone who likes Encre Noire, you like Vetiver notes not smothered in other smell-accords and you prefer Renion/Bourbon and Haitian varieties instead of Javan or others.
    This I will say, stay away from AG's Vetiver, since it is not just smoky it has an animalic, dusty hint to it.
    MPG seems like a house that has died down in general in these forums...their distribution is so screwed up, their bottles leak 50% of the time when shipped. And some of their reformulations were vastly disappointing. Was one of my favorite houses 2 years ago, though I have no tried their vetiver...I dunno if I will be disappointed. But their creations don't feel modern to me in general and that's what I liked about them.

How does the 90ml compare to the new 100ml? Will I be disappointed if I try the 100ml first?

Ok - yeah, Vetiver Tonka is pretty awesome

Folks, you got to be kidding me...
    No one has mentioned Maître Parfumeur et Gantier's Racine and Route de Vétiver? (preferably the 90ml bottles)
    And Nersh, the Vetiver in so-called modern scents is not a Vetiver per se... (Panache by Delrae/yes I'm not joking, it is a vetiver based scent and Coeur de Vétiver Sacré's loud fruity-tea jumble as well is centred on vetiver). If you are someone who likes Encre Noire, you like Vetiver notes not smothered in other smell-accords and you prefer Renion/Bourbon and Haitian varieties instead of Javan or others.
    This I will say, stay away from AG's Vetiver, since it is not just smoky it has an animalic, dusty hint to it.

I didnt find Racine to be vetiver enough (used vetiver as an adjective ) and RdV is a classical intense vetiver. So neither, IMO of course, could be considered modern.
    I think for something to be modern it should take contemporary ideas and then disregard them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    MPG seems like a house that has died down in general in these forums...their distribution is so screwed up, their bottles leak 50% of the time when shipped. And some of their reformulations were vastly disappointing. Was one of my favorite houses 2 years ago, though I have no tried their vetiver...I dunno if I will be disappointed. But their creations don't feel modern to me in general and that's what I liked about them.

How does the 90ml compare to the new 100ml? Will I be disappointed if I try the 100ml first?
    I bought 4 MPG bottles of which 2 leaked. So , surprisingly, your percentage figure is correct lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Ok - yeah, Vetiver Tonka is pretty awesome
    It certainly is!
    I'd urge you to try Vetyverio by Diptyque. They are in no way similar in terms of notes but in terms of uniqueness.

for swap/sale:

Guest05

Last edited by Guest05; 10th March 2012 at 06:47 AM.

Diptyque's Vetyverio is a lovely soft take on Vetiver, well worth trying.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

So, the current 'modern-vetivers' on the market are not Vetiver at all.
    hedonist222... is it a parallax error in our viewing of what is termed a 'modern' Vetiver note... perhaps? :-) I like both older versions of MPeG, not much like them around now.
    The Vetiver note has a tone, pitch and quality that if too much fruit, flowery or ambery notes are layered on, it loses it's own grassy, fragrant, humming vitality.
    MPeG... Ekove, you are right about their whimpy attitude towards sales in last 5-6 years.

The 90mls are better by far on all accounts. Is it because the older version were using real vetiver extraits and the new versions have synthetic vetiver-molecules (vetiver cedar smell, Vertofix and other vetiver-like notes (quinolein, nootkatone,floro-pal, etc.).... who knows?
    Could certainly be a variation of the interpretation of "modern" vetiver.
    Its all good because regardless of modern, classical or Mesopotamian I like vetiver perfumes.

for swap/sale:

Mona di Orio Vetiver, Diptyque Vetyverio, FM Vetiver Extraordinaire and the softest of them all: L'Artisan Coeur de Vetiver Sacre.

I'm not sure what "modern" means in this connection (non-classic?, recently launched?), but there are lots of excellent "softer and warmer" alternatives to smoky-rough Encre Noire, Sycomore, etc., and many of the best have already been mentioned here. You might want to check out also Armani Privé Vétiver Babylone or Linari's Notte Bianca - both of them are soft and "creamy" vetivers.

For soft and warm I'd go for either Original Vetiver or Vetiver Oriental. I wouldn't bother with Fat Electrician as the quality is shockingly low.

+1 Grey Vetiver
    +1 Noble Vetiver
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Vétiver Tonka

Lanvin Vetyver- crisp, light, casual

45 replies, and no one's mentioned (drum role please):
    Comme des Garçons Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru
    WTF?

For a second I thought that perhaps I wasn't on Basenotes.

+1 on Sycomore! That frag made me fall in love with vetiver...
    And I'd like to add Vetiver Tonka by Hermes. It doesn't beat Sycomore, but it's gorgeous as well...

+1 on the following:
    Chanel Sycomore
    TdC Sel de Vetiver
    TF Grey Vetiver
    Hermessence Vetiver Tonka

And...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    WTF?

Seriously! That was the first one that came to my mind. Seems like that scent is always ignored in vetiver discussions, but it's outstanding.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Fat Electrician
    this and very nice btw!

WTF?

I honestly thought about it but, while I personally love it, I think it doesn't fit the "warm" bill. A FANTASTIC vetiver though!!!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Creed Original Vetiver is on my wishlist it's clean, fresh and modern. I tried Guerlain but it really smell like old man scent, this one doesn't.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Sel de Vetiver is an interpretation of sun warmed skin that has a natural saltiness to it. It is very sexy, and modern IMO.

Vettiveru to me is a vetiver influenced take on a traditional cologne style. I am not sure I consider it 'modern' for this reason. The clove, and neroli contribute to a 'cologne style' composition, but Sel de Vetiver's structure is definitely more modern and has no reference to the smell of perfume or cologne IMO. It creates an aura that others may interpret as 'your own smell', as opposed to that guy is weariing a nice fragrance.

WTF?

It did occur to me but I personally wouldn't classify it as a modern vetiver. I'd classify it as a basic vetiver
    Its a lovely vetiver too.

for swap/sale:

It did occur to me but I personally wouldn't classify it as a modern vetiver. I'd classify it as a basic vetiver. Its a lovely vetiver too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Vettiveru to me is a vetiver influenced take on a traditional cologne style. I am not sure I consider it 'modern' for this reason. The clove, and neroli contribute to a 'cologne style' composition...
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by M.David View Post
    Comme des Garçons 2 Man
    absolutely modern take on vetiver!!
    my brother MDavid know it!! ( he felt the call of this mystical smell, buahahaha xD)

I suggest that you try Vetiver by Excelsis.

Quote Originally Posted by tiberije View Post
    Creed Original Vetiver is on my wishlist it's clean, fresh and modern. I tried Guerlain but it really smell like old man scent, this one doesn't.

Ditto here. Guerlain does not do it for me.

I also did not consider 2 man as a vetiver. I own that, love it though.

WTF?

You got me! I forgot to mention one of the most beautiful takes on vetiver. Simply awesome!
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by aquatic View Post
    The entire Chanel Allure trio and Platinum Egoiste
    You cannot be serious. Those are not vetiver prominent at all. ???
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

When I think of a modern vetiver I think of Fat Electrician by ELDO and Djedi by Guerlain
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle