Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Almost giving up on Creed

I'm really nearing the end of my rope for Creed.

I've owned two Millesime Imperials that I thought were the greatest smelling scents of all time -- don't remember the production codes, but I'd wager they were made in 2008-09. My second bottle ran out a few months ago. I bought a bottle from Beauty Encounter and ended up returning it because the serial number had been scratched off. But I also noticed that the melony topnote I love so much was much weaker, and it had a very pronounced "salty air" smell I hadn't experienced before.

I just bought another bottle from fragrancex. It has a batch code indicating it was made in 2010, so it's not old. Yet this one has virtually NO melon in it at all, only the strong salty smell. I'm four hours into it, and still absolutely no melon.

I know MI hasn't been reformulated, so this must be the infamous batch variations Creed is infamous for. But the melon was what made MI great. I'm not going to keep spending nearly $50.00 an ounce for cologne if the damn batch variations are this pronounced. I'm fear I'm at the end of my Creed phase.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

no melon you say?

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Just sprayed some more on to make sure, and let it dry. I'm getting a salt bomb. I know salt technically doesn't have a smell, so I'll say it's that salty smell you get when the ocean is misting up in a storm, mixed with a faint citrusy soap powder vibe. The only melon, if there is any (and I'm really smelling for it), is lurking in the background. Very disappointing for a scent I loved so much. I know MI has some variations -- some of mine have had more melon than others, and some have been more flowery -- but this is the first one I just don't like at all.
    Last edited by barclaydetolly; 12th October 2011 at 06:29 AM.
    Current Top Five:

I have your answer...

Unforgiveable

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

I know how you feel. I've had nothing but trouble with the few Creed fragrances I've purchased. Faulty sprayers, bottles smelling different from each other,etc,etc. I'm over it and don't bother with them anymore. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read my thread on it, I got a bottle of both a 2010 and a 2011 batch and was very disappointed with both:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/283...f-MI-Bad-batch

I love MI but I would feel violated if a replacement bottle fell short of it's magic. Effing creed and their batches. What's wrong with these people?

Quote Originally Posted by PradaG View Post
    I love MI but I would feel violated if a replacement bottle fell short of it's magic. Effing creed and their batches. What's wrong with these people?
    I said it in another thread, but distributors of Creed like Neimans and Saks need to stand up and draw a line with Creed for better quality control, because I'm sure their profits have been affected by dissatisfied customers returning bottles. Creed would have no choice but to listen to the complaints because it's not like they have dozens of other venues to sell their fragrances, if just one or two of their distributors were to stand up and say something that would make all the difference

That's funny, because I purchased my Creeds here in the Netherlands and I LOVE them all, intriguing to say the least, issues you have experienced with MI....
    Anyways, I do not own MI....

Hmm, I tried MI a month or so ago, and I was severely underwhelmed. I remember feeling astounded that people could find such love for it. Maybe a "good batch" would've been much better (I don't remember any melon).

I wouldn't pay $60/bottle for the stuff I tested, let alone the going rate.

Olivier Creed traveled the world to find the most exquisite melons... but he didn't find any. I guess the thing to do is to buy a 250ml flacon, some Melonal (a dirt-cheap synthetic) and then amp it up yourself. An IKEA-approach to fragrance.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matire/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pntrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Olivier Creed traveled the world to find the most exquisite melons... but he didn't find any. I guess the thing to do is to buy a 250ml flacon, some Melonal (a dirt-cheap synthetic) and then amp it up yourself. An IKEA-approach to fragrance.
    At the going rate of their fragrances, you shouldn't have to be concocting "make-your-own-Creed" experiments in your kitchen to get the effect of what MI should smell like

Of all the Creeds, MI seems to have the most variance in batch quality. In my experience, the only poor bottles I have smelled are those I have bought from online discounters. When I buy from authorized dealers, it is as gorgeous a fragrance as ever and worth every penny. Whereas the bottles I have bought from online discounters are not even worth $20 bucks. Try a bottle from an authorized dealer, I have found it makes all the difference when it comes to MI.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

I got my Aventus from that Raffy guy (authorized dealer) and it's exquisite! Thinking about going back for a flacon now that I've used about 70% of my 4oz. Anyone know if the basenotes discount is still active?

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    I got my Aventus from that Raffy guy (authorized dealer) and it's exquisite! Thinking about going back for a flacon now that I've used about 70% of my 4oz. Anyone know if the basenotes discount is still active?
    What batch is it

Creed is overpriced garbage anyway

I only discovered Creeds quite recently and really like them all apart from Original Santal. My favourites being GIT and BDP.

Last week i also had the pleasure of testing Vetiver '48, that really is one amazing scent! Perhaps one of the best i've ever experienced. Why the hell did they stop producing that one?

I have never had a problem with any MI which I have purchased.

These days it is a gamble buying Creed but it seems more so from online discounters. I bought my MI retail as I wanted to make sure I got a decent bottle and to have a place to go to if I was unhappy with my purchase.

Mine lasts seven to eight hours and the melon note is lush and the salty accord is the minor note and this is how it should be.
    Currently wearing: Balafre by Lancme

You should look into getting the knock off fragrance oils. I bought a creed GIT the other day and compared it with a GIT sample...almost identical. I paid $3.95 for it.

You want to hear a sob story? The other day I was looking around Neiman Marcus and the Guerlain SA noticed me looking at the Vetiver. Anyways she mentioned that she had a large VAT of it in the storage room. It was unsold from some event the previous month. She offered it to me for $469 for 1000ml. I jumped on it. When I tried it the smell was disgusting. I have no idea if they have reformulated it once again since the newer "old " bottle was re- introduced. I've been wearing it for 4 years now so I know what it smells like.

Scams all over the place....Go for the cheapie oil knock offs. Show me a good bottle of juice for a fair price and I will buy it. Haven't seen one yet!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlacksheepNZ View Post
    Creed is overpriced garbage anyway
    Interesting that so many people are willing to pay for said "garbage". Glad you interjected such insightful and experienced knowledge into this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    I know how you feel. I've had nothing but trouble with the few Creed fragrances I've purchased. Faulty sprayers, bottles smelling different from each other,etc,etc. I'm over it and don't bother with them anymore. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.
    Faulty sprayer on my only Creed bottle as well. I did buy it at a reliable store here in town and still got the receipt, so I checked with 'em and I can return it later on. Won't buy another Creed though...

I hate to start a discussion of batch numbers, but what is the number on your melony bottle? Is it from 2010? I'm just absolutely heartbroken right now. My old MI was my favorite scent of all time; this new one . . . I don't see myself even putting it into my rotation. Sucks because I'm sure I can't return it to fragrancex, without paying a hefty restocking fee. Besides, it's really not fragrancex's fault, either, considering this is not an old batch. I wonder if a letter to Creed would help. Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    These days it is a gamble buying Creed but it seems more so from online discounters. I bought my MI retail as I wanted to make sure I got a decent bottle and to have a place to go to if I was unhappy with my purchase.

Mine lasts seven to eight hours and the melon note is lush and the salty accord is the minor note and this is how it should be.
    Current Top Five:

I have wondered about Creed myself. There is so much love for it here but it seems there are so many posts about batch numbers, date of production and inconsistencies that I have decided not to even order any samples. It seems to me that if I got a sample and loved it that the chances of getting a full bottle that smelled the same might be a problem, and I don't want to spend my money on something that might be different from the sample that I loved. So, I have decided to take a pass on this house.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I hate to start a discussion of batch numbers, but what is the number on your melony bottle? Is it from 2010? I'm just absolutely heartbroken right now. My old MI was my favorite scent of all time; this new one . . . I don't see myself even putting it into my rotation. Sucks because I'm sure I can't return it to fragrancex, without paying a hefty restocking fee. Besides, it's really not fragrancex's fault, either, considering this is not an old batch. I wonder if a letter to Creed would help. Probably not.
    Batch number is : A3309W02
    Currently wearing: Balafre by Lancme

We are two

Blind Melon.

The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the 2009 production runs were the last great MI batches.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Batch number is : A3309W02
    Current Top Five:

I know exactly how you feel with the strong salty opening compared to the melon note that I had with previous batches....there’s no comparison and sad to say, but it’s hit or miss with Creeds.

I have experienced exactly the same disappointment. I had a small sample of MI a couple of years ago which had very pronounced melon and ambergris, with a hint of salt. I tried a spray from a bottle in John Lewis (along with SMW) a couple of days ago and I was quite disappointed (with both, actually). I just get an orange-like salt smell with this current MI. Unforgivable is indeed better smelling than this current batch.

There is a UK website that does 'inspired by' scents and they have MI, SMW and GIT listed. Their MI and SMW inspired scents smell just like the current batches (they are recent additions), whereas the GIT smells better (more fresh) than the one I smelled at John Lewis. You can get 3 25ml sprays for 20 so if you're thinking of trying a decent amount of these scents, I'd recommend them. I don't know if I'm allowed to advertise the site here, so PM me for details if you don't already know the website.

Get your act together, Creed.