Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 116
  1. #31

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I know MI hasn't been reformulated, so this must be the infamous batch variations Creed is infamous for.
    It gets reformulated with every 'batch'...
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

    Swaps
    Wanted



  2. #32
    Basenotes Junkie tiberije's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    638

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I just bought my MI from FragranceNet and melon note is very present.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

  3. #33

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I wonder why, nobody has contacted Creed already directly.
    Please do not get me wrong, but stay here just discussing about the missing Melon won't solve nothing.
    I had couple of weeks ago an issue with Guerlain, I have contacted them and my problem was in no time solved.
    I won't contact Creed myself because I am very satisfied with the Creeds I own.
    Again, if I have offended you, for being so direct, my sincere apologies.

  4. #34

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    I wonder why, nobody has contacted Creed already directly.
    Please do not get me wrong, but stay here just discussing about the missing Melon won't solve nothing.
    I had couple of weeks ago an issue with Guerlain, I have contacted them and my problem was in no time solved.
    I won't contact Creed myself because I am very satisfied with the Creeds I own.
    Again, if I have offended you, for being so direct, my sincere apologies.
    I see your point. Personally, I'm just sharing my experience. However, I imagine Creed would just reply with something along the lines of 'our ingredients are always the best available at the time, so we cannot guarantee absolute consistency'. I'm sure they don't intend to disappoint their customers, but I bought an oil copy of MI a couple of years ago that was dead on (and have had several bottles of it since - the quality remains the same), so if someone else can copy the fragrance consistently, I don't know why Creed can't remain consistent.

  5. #35

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Well, multiple people already asked Creed directly about batch variations but usually the answer is a standard text that boils down to something along the lines of "we use natural ingredients and those change from batch to batch, it's a sign of quality".

  6. #36

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Only tested MI once, got no melon just that oceanic salty vibe. It was probably a tester from a poor batch.

    Didn't like so didn't buy.

  7. #37

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    This happened to me with Green Valley.....The bottle that I have now is good, but not as good as the first bottle that I purchased!!!
    Gary

  8. #38
    Dependent LloydLlewellyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    1,705

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by the bark View Post
    blind melon.

    lol :-)

  9. #39
    Dependent LloydLlewellyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    1,705

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by TMA View Post
    Only tested MI once, got no melon just that oceanic salty vibe. It was probably a tester from a poor batch.

    Didn't like so didn't buy.
    Same thing happened to me, and it was a sample from TPC, which I understand are careful of these things. Didn't do anything for me.

  10. #40

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I don't care how many natural ingredients you use. How a fragrance can go from a beautiful, complex melon scent to an acrid salty mess is incomprehensible.

    Creed had me as a Millesime Imperial lover for life. I'm sure they would have made thousands of dollars off me dutifully replacing every year the cologne I had decided was my signature scent. Now, well, the search begins again. And dammit, this means I've lost Dior Homme Intense and Millesime Imperial in just the last few months.
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  11. #41
    Super Member DocHolliday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    So. Cal
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I for one have to agree with you with the different batches. I once smelled Silver Mountain Water and it smelled like someone's sweat after climbing a mountain. Then I smelled a different one and smelled even worse if you can imagine that. As for the MI, All the MI's the two samples I have sniffed recently all give me that salt blast. Quite Frankly I really dont see how its worthy of the praise it receives.

  12. #42

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I've had a few bottles of MI going back seven, eight years and the "salt blast" has always been there; it's part of the marine accord the scent has, not unlike Erolfa. It's even listed on creedboutique.com for notes:

    Top Notes: Crisp fruit notes, sea salt
    Middle Notes: Sicilian lemon, bergamot, mandarin, Florentine Iris
    Base Notes: Musk, woody and marine notes

    Couldn't explain why you're not smelling any of the "melon" notes, however. Typically those types of top notes are the first to go, but these sound like they're newer in production, so...??? Has anyone with this issue had another person smell them to get an objective, second opinion?
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

  13. #43

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    My question to Creed might be, "if you are telling me that the problem with the batch consistencies with MI is due to your 'natural ingredients,' how is it that no other perfumer in the world uses natural melon as a fragrance constituent? Are you really expecting me to believe the reason the melon note is is inconsistent from batch to batch is due to its being a 'natural' fragrance material?"

    Natural materials, my eye!
    Last edited by mrclmind; 13th October 2011 at 06:55 AM.

  14. #44

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    It's okay to give up on a company that wears their apparent terrible quality control as a badge of honor, IMO.

  15. #45
    Basenotes Junkie Livingdead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    893

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I own MI, Aventus and GIT, and those were bottles I purchased at the beginning of my perfume journey; up till now, their levels remain almost the same/untouched in their respective bottles. My Aventus and GIT are perfect batches (direct from Creed), each having their own strong pineapple and violet notes, but the MI that I've gotten (from ClickFragrance -online shop) has very little to no melon at all. I know this as I have a decant from a basenoter as well. Disappointed as I bought it for the melon-y topnotes and not for the salty ball-sack note.

    So yea...pretty much given up on Creed, sadly. And yes I have tried contacting Creed directly through email, but all they said was there were no other complains, and if I've purchased it from an online retailer I will need to bring the issue up with them directly. Sigh.

  16. #46

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    My question to Creed might be, "if you are telling me that the problem with the batch consistencies with MI is due to your 'natural ingredients,' how is it that no other perfumer in the world uses natural melon as a fragrance constituent? Are you really expecting me to believe the reason the melon note is is inconsistent from batch to batch is due to its being a 'natural' fragrance material?"

    Natural materials, my eye!
    The gorgeous melon note effect comes about from a combination of Mandarin, lemon and Iris with bergamot. Not I believe a natural melon note. I guess if these are not balanced right within a batch/mix you get different variations in the strength of the melon note.
    Currently wearing: Balafre by Lancôme

  17. #47

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    The gorgeous melon note effect comes about from a combination of Mandarin, lemon and Iris with bergamot. Not I believe a natural melon note. I guess if these are not balanced right within a batch/mix you get different variations in the strength of the melon note.
    With all due respect to Creed I smell some definite synthetic components in this scent.

  18. #48

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Who else but Creed seems to have this kind of issue? Guerlain? Chanel? Amouage? Gucci? Short answer: nobody. If (to take just one example) Jicky had this kind of crazy batch variation issue, it would have died on the vine long ago. I may try to get a secondhand MI from pre-2010, but until Creed fixes this stupid, stupid quality control issue, I'm avoiding its colognes. I refuse to become an amateur detective to sniff out the "right" batch of a fragrance I'm already paying top dollar for. They can laugh all the way to the bank on someone else's dollar.
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  19. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I actually find the batch variations kind of nice. It shows they really do make batches of the scent, with varying harvests of ingredients. How those ingredients play against the synthetics is a little bit different each time. They say no two Rolls Royces are alike. With the car it's an asset - I see it as an asset for perfume, too.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 22nd November 2011 at 03:40 PM.

  20. #50

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    I actually find the batch variations kind of nice. It shows they really do make batches of the scent, with varying harvests of ingredients. How those ingredients play against the synthetics is a little bit different each time.
    I'm finding the same enjoyment with 3 different lots of Original Vetiver. They are like good, better and best with the good OV still very worthy. I'm not a fan of MI (or aquatics) but I can certainly understand why people like it. I sold a gold MI 120ml tester to a fellow here earlier this year who says that older formulation is great. I've had very good luck with Creed fragrances and I wear quite a few of them.

    Martin

  21. #51

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I've experienced the same thing with SMW. Was a gorgeous scent, top to bottom, but I particularly loved the drydown on it (which I still do). I went through so many bottles of it, but I guess luckily, I was able to sell or return the bottles that just didn't cut it. I eventually bought a bottle at a good price from someone who got theirs from a Creed Boutique, and I've been very happy ever since.

    Bottom line is: don't give up on this company, and most importantly, on your favorite scent. I own a half-full 2.5 ounce bottle of MI, which I actually got a couple years ago for $55.00 (was fuller when I bought it, but amazing the deals you can get sometimes). I definitely get that big fat melon note. The note is very assertive, and doesn't go away for hours upon hours. Also get a pretty nice, musky drydown. It's funny because I don't even know anything else.

    My advice to you would be to keep trying to get this fragrance - Try as many places as you can, and put emphasis on people who bought their bottles from a Creed Boutique or Neiman Marcus. If Fragrancenet/X doesn't work, then just return it (you have your right because you know how the fragrance smells). You'll get the bottle you want. Might take some time, but you will eventually...And it will be worth it.

  22. #52

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Apologies, accidental post.
    Last edited by barclaydetolly; 14th October 2011 at 03:10 AM.
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  23. #53

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    [QUOTE=MOONB;2314736]I actually find the batch variations kind of nice. It shows they really do make batches of the scent, with varying harvests of ingredients. How those ingredients play against the synthetics is a little bit different each time. They say no two Rolls Royces are alike. With the car it's an asset - I see it as an asset for perfume, too.




    I absolutely, totally, categorically disagree with this.

    When I buy "Creed Millesime Imperial" I don't want to go on some olfactory adventure to see what the product inside might smell like, wondering whether it will smell like the last "Creed Millesime Imperial" I bought. I am paying a whole lot of money to buy a consumer product that is supposed to be identical to the last one with the same name. When I buy Terre d'Hermes, for example, it's not because I want to be surprised by some crazy thing Hermes has put in a bottle that just might smell something like the last bottle I bought, but whimsically different; it's because I like the smell of Terre d'Hermes and want to buy that specific smell again. Every company in the industry knows this and achieves uniformity. Creed cannot or will not do what it takes to put out a consistent product. And this is a product that is often bought online, without being able to smell the specific one you buy. The customer has to have faith that the product the manufacturer calls MI will be like the MIs the customer has bought in the past.

    Let's say you go to an expensive, five-star restaurant you've been to dozens of times before. You order its signature dish, a filet with red wine sauce called "Steak Chez Nous" that'll set you back $100.00. When it comes out, you're stunned -- without telling you, they've suddenly changed "Steak Chez Nous" to be a sirloin with a cream sauce. What's more, when you complain, the manager says that from now on, whenever you order "Steak Chez Nous," it could be sirloin with cream, or could be filet with wine, or could be whatever meat they have in the back they think is the best on that day, with whatever sauce they think is appropriate. Would you go back to that restaurant because it's now an exciting culinary adventure?

    I am not made of money. I will not play the Creed lottery and spend half my life looking up batch numbers on the internet to see if a particular Creed is worth buying. If you have the time and money to do so, feel free. Instead, I will patronize Guerlain, Gucci, Hermes, or the hundreds more that go to great lengths to ensure that when they put out a cologne with a certain name, I can be confident that it smells just like it did the last time I bought it.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 22nd November 2011 at 03:45 PM.
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  24. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I absolutely, totally, categorically disagree with this.

    When I buy "Creed Millesime Imperial" I don't want to go on some olfactory adventure to see what the product inside might smell like, wondering whether it will smell like the last "Creed Millesime Imperial" I bought. I am paying a whole lot of money to buy a consumer product that is supposed to be identical to the last one with the same name. When I buy Terre d'Hermes, for example, it's not because I want to be surprised by some crazy thing Hermes has put in a bottle that just might smell something like the last bottle I bought, but whimsically different; it's because I like the smell of Terre d'Hermes and want to buy that specific smell again. Every company in the industry knows this and achieves uniformity. Creed cannot or will not do what it takes to put out a consistent product. And this is a product that is often bought online, without being able to smell the specific one you buy. The customer has to have faith that the product the manufacturer calls MI will be like the MIs the customer has bought in the past.

    Let's say you go to an expensive, five-star restaurant you've been to dozens of times before. You order its signature dish, a filet with red wine sauce called "Steak Chez Nous" that'll set you back $100.00. When it comes out, you're stunned -- without telling you, they've suddenly changed "Steak Chez Nous" to be a sirloin with a cream sauce. What's more, when you complain, the manager says that from now on, whenever you order "Steak Chez Nous," it could be sirloin with cream, or could be filet with wine, or could be whatever meat they have in the back they think is the best on that day, with whatever sauce they think is appropriate. Would you go back to that restaurant because it's now an exciting culinary adventure?

    I am not made of money. I will not play the Creed lottery and spend half my life looking up batch numbers on the internet to see if a particular Creed is worth buying. If you have the time and money to do so, feel free. Instead, I will patronize Guerlain, Gucci, Hermes, or the hundreds more that go to great lengths to ensure that when they put out a cologne with a certain name, I can be confident that it smells just like it did the last time I bought it.

    If you want uniformity, buy synthetically-made fragrances. If you want subtle differences, buy infusion-made fragrances. There's a reason they call it Millésime Imperial. You need to know that what you're buying isn't going to be the same every time, and isn't going to be starkly different, either. Some notes will jump out more than others depending on the year. That's what vintage is. Just like with fine wine, you don't know what you're going to get exactly, but you should know that it will be good. We're so conditioned to think that everything we buy has to be uniform that when a company ignores this trend, freak-outs ensue.

    Your restaurant metaphor makes no sense, but I'm sure I'm missing something there. A "house" steak is allowed to change. That's what makes it the house steak. The House decides.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 28th October 2011 at 12:46 PM.

  25. #55
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,650

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I am not made of money. I will not play the Creed lottery and spend half my life looking up batch numbers on the internet to see if a particular Creed is worth buying. If you have the time and money to do so, feel free. Instead, I will patronize Guerlain, Gucci, Hermes, or the hundreds more that go to great lengths to ensure that when they put out a cologne with a certain name, I can be confident that it smells just like it did the last time I bought it.
    Ok dude, move on already how many times will you say this?

    Also there is no "natural extract or oil of melon" but there are various grades of synthetic aromachemicals and expertise on how it is integrated in a fragrance - some perfumers can also create an illusion of melon by juxtaposing various complementary notes. Millesime Imperials melon-aquatic note is one of the best on the market.
    -

  26. #56

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Millesime Imperials melon-aquatic note is one of the best on the market.
    Depends on the batch. That is the problem right there.

  27. #57

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    You need to know that what you're buying isn't going to be the same every time, and isn't going to be starkly different, either. ...

    Well, you put your finger on it. The 2010 MI is starkly different from the 2009 MI. Nothing more need be said.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 28th October 2011 at 12:46 PM.
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  28. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Well, you put your finger on it. The 2010 MI is starkly different from the 2009 MI. Nothing more need be said.

    Doubtful, but okay. Creeds change (i.e. improve) as they age. Hopefully the comparison isn't being made due to differences in age between the two bottles, relative to when the fragrance itself was bottled.

    I'd add that the only site from which to purchase is the Creed boutique. Always got terrific stuff directly from the source. These other discount sites . . . always less than satisfactory.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 28th October 2011 at 12:47 PM.

  29. #59

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    [QUOTE=MOONB;2315565]If you want uniformity, buy synthetically-made fragrances. If you want subtle differences, buy infusion-made fragrances. There's a reason they call it Millésime Imperial. You need to know that what you're buying isn't going to be the same every time, and isn't going to be starkly different, either. Some notes will jump out more than others depending on the year. That's what vintage is. Just like with fine wine, you don't know what you're going to get exactly, but you should know that it will be good. We're so conditioned to think that everything we buy has to be uniform that when a company ignores this trend, freak-outs ensue.

    Your restaurant metaphor makes no sense, but I'm sure I'm missing something there. A "house" steak is allowed to change. That's what makes it the house steak. The House decides.






    Oh come on!

    Creed are not unique. They do the soft shoe shuffle routine making out they are unique in their approach to perfumery. I know perfumers who use high quality and hard to source ingredients and yet STILL manage to produce consistent work.

    The simple truth about Creed is this: They don't give a shit. At all. They hike the prices up every year, continue to produce lines of variable quality, but because people buy into the myth they can get away with it.

    And yet people will still defend their stance. It's like in (I think) the Devil's Advocate where Pacino says, "the devil's greatest achievement was persuading people he didn't exist".

    Exactly what Creed have done. The "devil" if you like is in the detail. They don't give a flying **** about quality control or consistency. Because there are people there to just suck it up.

    I despise Creed, everything they stand for, the lies, the poor quality control, the poor longevity, the whole shooting match.

    They are a disgrace, but apparently made of teflon, because nothing seems to stick.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 28th October 2011 at 12:48 PM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

  30. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    They are a disgrace, but apparently made of teflon, because nothing seems to stick.

    They're definitely not made out of Teflon. And you might want to consider why "nothing seems to stick" - if these charges were true, and shared across the board, then they eventually would stick.

    It's becoming clearer and clearer to me why Creed continues to raise its already-high prices every year. They're pricing those who know nothing about what they're buying right out of the market.

Similar Threads

  1. Help! Creed SMW giving me a rash!
    By spegel in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 6th March 2009, 03:41 AM
  2. Giving feedback
    By Titan in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27th January 2008, 12:20 AM
  3. Giving Creed to, well...CREED!
    By iMaverick in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22nd August 2005, 11:45 AM
  4. Im giving away two bottles if anyone wants them
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM
  5. Giving Creed to, well...CREED!
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000