Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 116
  1. #1

    Default Almost giving up on Creed

    I'm really nearing the end of my rope for Creed.

    I've owned two Millesime Imperials that I thought were the greatest smelling scents of all time -- don't remember the production codes, but I'd wager they were made in 2008-09. My second bottle ran out a few months ago. I bought a bottle from Beauty Encounter and ended up returning it because the serial number had been scratched off. But I also noticed that the melony topnote I love so much was much weaker, and it had a very pronounced "salty air" smell I hadn't experienced before.

    I just bought another bottle from fragrancex. It has a batch code indicating it was made in 2010, so it's not old. Yet this one has virtually NO melon in it at all, only the strong salty smell. I'm four hours into it, and still absolutely no melon.

    I know MI hasn't been reformulated, so this must be the infamous batch variations Creed is infamous for. But the melon was what made MI great. I'm not going to keep spending nearly $50.00 an ounce for cologne if the damn batch variations are this pronounced. I'm fear I'm at the end of my Creed phase.
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  2. #2
    PuddleMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Posts
    2,487

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    no melon you say?

    ╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

  3. #3

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Just sprayed some more on to make sure, and let it dry. I'm getting a salt bomb. I know salt technically doesn't have a smell, so I'll say it's that salty smell you get when the ocean is misting up in a storm, mixed with a faint citrusy soap powder vibe. The only melon, if there is any (and I'm really smelling for it), is lurking in the background. Very disappointing for a scent I loved so much. I know MI has some variations -- some of mine have had more melon than others, and some have been more flowery -- but this is the first one I just don't like at all.
    Last edited by barclaydetolly; 12th October 2011 at 07:29 AM.
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  4. #4
    PuddleMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Posts
    2,487

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I have your answer...




    Unforgiveable

    ╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

  5. #5

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I know how you feel. I've had nothing but trouble with the few Creed fragrances I've purchased. Faulty sprayers, bottles smelling different from each other,etc,etc. I'm over it and don't bother with them anymore. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.


    Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  6. #6
    Basenotes Junkie Sidney_Falco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    City of Angels/helL.A.
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Read my thread on it, I got a bottle of both a 2010 and a 2011 batch and was very disappointed with both:

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/283...f-MI-Bad-batch

  7. #7

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I love MI but I would feel violated if a replacement bottle fell short of it's magic. Effing creed and their batches. What's wrong with these people?

  8. #8
    Basenotes Junkie Sidney_Falco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    City of Angels/helL.A.
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by PradaG View Post
    I love MI but I would feel violated if a replacement bottle fell short of it's magic. Effing creed and their batches. What's wrong with these people?
    I said it in another thread, but distributors of Creed like Neimans and Saks need to stand up and draw a line with Creed for better quality control, because I'm sure their profits have been affected by dissatisfied customers returning bottles. Creed would have no choice but to listen to the complaints because it's not like they have dozens of other venues to sell their fragrances, if just one or two of their distributors were to stand up and say something that would make all the difference

  9. #9

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    That's funny, because I purchased my Creeds here in the Netherlands and I LOVE them all, intriguing to say the least, issues you have experienced with MI....
    Anyways, I do not own MI....

  10. #10
    Dependent hobbes22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco CA
    Posts
    1,411

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Hmm, I tried MI a month or so ago, and I was severely underwhelmed. I remember feeling astounded that people could find such love for it. Maybe a "good batch" would've been much better (I don't remember any melon).

    I wouldn't pay $60/bottle for the stuff I tested, let alone the going rate.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Olivier Creed traveled the world to find the most exquisite melons... but he didn't find any. I guess the thing to do is to buy a 250ml flacon, some Melonal (a dirt-cheap synthetic) and then amp it up yourself. An IKEA-approach to fragrance.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matire/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pntrent le verre.

  12. #12
    Basenotes Junkie Sidney_Falco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    City of Angels/helL.A.
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Olivier Creed traveled the world to find the most exquisite melons... but he didn't find any. I guess the thing to do is to buy a 250ml flacon, some Melonal (a dirt-cheap synthetic) and then amp it up yourself. An IKEA-approach to fragrance.
    At the going rate of their fragrances, you shouldn't have to be concocting "make-your-own-Creed" experiments in your kitchen to get the effect of what MI should smell like

  13. #13

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Of all the Creeds, MI seems to have the most variance in batch quality. In my experience, the only poor bottles I have smelled are those I have bought from online discounters. When I buy from authorized dealers, it is as gorgeous a fragrance as ever and worth every penny. Whereas the bottles I have bought from online discounters are not even worth $20 bucks. Try a bottle from an authorized dealer, I have found it makes all the difference when it comes to MI.
    Current top 10:

    1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

  14. #14
    PuddleMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Posts
    2,487

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I got my Aventus from that Raffy guy (authorized dealer) and it's exquisite! Thinking about going back for a flacon now that I've used about 70% of my 4oz. Anyone know if the basenotes discount is still active?

    ╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

  15. #15
    Dependent hobbes22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco CA
    Posts
    1,411

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    I got my Aventus from that Raffy guy (authorized dealer) and it's exquisite! Thinking about going back for a flacon now that I've used about 70% of my 4oz. Anyone know if the basenotes discount is still active?
    What batch is it

  16. #16

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Creed is overpriced garbage anyway

  17. #17

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I only discovered Creeds quite recently and really like them all apart from Original Santal. My favourites being GIT and BDP.

    Last week i also had the pleasure of testing Vetiver '48, that really is one amazing scent! Perhaps one of the best i've ever experienced. Why the hell did they stop producing that one?

  18. #18
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Bzios
    Posts
    82,654

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I have never had a problem with any MI which I have purchased.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    These days it is a gamble buying Creed but it seems more so from online discounters. I bought my MI retail as I wanted to make sure I got a decent bottle and to have a place to go to if I was unhappy with my purchase.

    Mine lasts seven to eight hours and the melon note is lush and the salty accord is the minor note and this is how it should be.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    You should look into getting the knock off fragrance oils. I bought a creed GIT the other day and compared it with a GIT sample...almost identical. I paid $3.95 for it.

    You want to hear a sob story? The other day I was looking around Neiman Marcus and the Guerlain SA noticed me looking at the Vetiver. Anyways she mentioned that she had a large VAT of it in the storage room. It was unsold from some event the previous month. She offered it to me for $469 for 1000ml. I jumped on it. When I tried it the smell was disgusting. I have no idea if they have reformulated it once again since the newer "old " bottle was re- introduced. I've been wearing it for 4 years now so I know what it smells like.

    Scams all over the place....Go for the cheapie oil knock offs. Show me a good bottle of juice for a fair price and I will buy it. Haven't seen one yet!

  21. #21

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlacksheepNZ View Post
    Creed is overpriced garbage anyway
    Interesting that so many people are willing to pay for said "garbage". Glad you interjected such insightful and experienced knowledge into this thread.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    I know how you feel. I've had nothing but trouble with the few Creed fragrances I've purchased. Faulty sprayers, bottles smelling different from each other,etc,etc. I'm over it and don't bother with them anymore. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.
    Faulty sprayer on my only Creed bottle as well. I did buy it at a reliable store here in town and still got the receipt, so I checked with 'em and I can return it later on. Won't buy another Creed though...

  23. #23

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I hate to start a discussion of batch numbers, but what is the number on your melony bottle? Is it from 2010? I'm just absolutely heartbroken right now. My old MI was my favorite scent of all time; this new one . . . I don't see myself even putting it into my rotation. Sucks because I'm sure I can't return it to fragrancex, without paying a hefty restocking fee. Besides, it's really not fragrancex's fault, either, considering this is not an old batch. I wonder if a letter to Creed would help. Probably not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    These days it is a gamble buying Creed but it seems more so from online discounters. I bought my MI retail as I wanted to make sure I got a decent bottle and to have a place to go to if I was unhappy with my purchase.

    Mine lasts seven to eight hours and the melon note is lush and the salty accord is the minor note and this is how it should be.
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  24. #24
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,247

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I have wondered about Creed myself. There is so much love for it here but it seems there are so many posts about batch numbers, date of production and inconsistencies that I have decided not to even order any samples. It seems to me that if I got a sample and loved it that the chances of getting a full bottle that smelled the same might be a problem, and I don't want to spend my money on something that might be different from the sample that I loved. So, I have decided to take a pass on this house.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense


    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I hate to start a discussion of batch numbers, but what is the number on your melony bottle? Is it from 2010? I'm just absolutely heartbroken right now. My old MI was my favorite scent of all time; this new one . . . I don't see myself even putting it into my rotation. Sucks because I'm sure I can't return it to fragrancex, without paying a hefty restocking fee. Besides, it's really not fragrancex's fault, either, considering this is not an old batch. I wonder if a letter to Creed would help. Probably not.
    Batch number is : A3309W02

  26. #26

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    We are two

  27. #27

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Blind Melon.

    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

  28. #28

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the 2009 production runs were the last great MI batches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Batch number is : A3309W02
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  29. #29

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I know exactly how you feel with the strong salty opening compared to the melon note that I had with previous batches....there’s no comparison and sad to say, but it’s hit or miss with Creeds.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I have experienced exactly the same disappointment. I had a small sample of MI a couple of years ago which had very pronounced melon and ambergris, with a hint of salt. I tried a spray from a bottle in John Lewis (along with SMW) a couple of days ago and I was quite disappointed (with both, actually). I just get an orange-like salt smell with this current MI. Unforgivable is indeed better smelling than this current batch.

    There is a UK website that does 'inspired by' scents and they have MI, SMW and GIT listed. Their MI and SMW inspired scents smell just like the current batches (they are recent additions), whereas the GIT smells better (more fresh) than the one I smelled at John Lewis. You can get 3 25ml sprays for 20 so if you're thinking of trying a decent amount of these scents, I'd recommend them. I don't know if I'm allowed to advertise the site here, so PM me for details if you don't already know the website.

    Get your act together, Creed.

  31. #31
    Dependent morrison74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    2,160

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I know MI hasn't been reformulated, so this must be the infamous batch variations Creed is infamous for.
    It gets reformulated with every 'batch'...
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

    Wanted



  32. #32
    Basenotes Junkie tiberije's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    640

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I just bought my MI from FragranceNet and melon note is very present.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I wonder why, nobody has contacted Creed already directly.
    Please do not get me wrong, but stay here just discussing about the missing Melon won't solve nothing.
    I had couple of weeks ago an issue with Guerlain, I have contacted them and my problem was in no time solved.
    I won't contact Creed myself because I am very satisfied with the Creeds I own.
    Again, if I have offended you, for being so direct, my sincere apologies.

  34. #34

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    I wonder why, nobody has contacted Creed already directly.
    Please do not get me wrong, but stay here just discussing about the missing Melon won't solve nothing.
    I had couple of weeks ago an issue with Guerlain, I have contacted them and my problem was in no time solved.
    I won't contact Creed myself because I am very satisfied with the Creeds I own.
    Again, if I have offended you, for being so direct, my sincere apologies.
    I see your point. Personally, I'm just sharing my experience. However, I imagine Creed would just reply with something along the lines of 'our ingredients are always the best available at the time, so we cannot guarantee absolute consistency'. I'm sure they don't intend to disappoint their customers, but I bought an oil copy of MI a couple of years ago that was dead on (and have had several bottles of it since - the quality remains the same), so if someone else can copy the fragrance consistently, I don't know why Creed can't remain consistent.

  35. #35

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Well, multiple people already asked Creed directly about batch variations but usually the answer is a standard text that boils down to something along the lines of "we use natural ingredients and those change from batch to batch, it's a sign of quality".

  36. #36

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Only tested MI once, got no melon just that oceanic salty vibe. It was probably a tester from a poor batch.

    Didn't like so didn't buy.

  37. #37

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    This happened to me with Green Valley.....The bottle that I have now is good, but not as good as the first bottle that I purchased!!!
    Gary

  38. #38

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by the bark View Post
    blind melon.

    lol :-)

  39. #39

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by TMA View Post
    Only tested MI once, got no melon just that oceanic salty vibe. It was probably a tester from a poor batch.

    Didn't like so didn't buy.
    Same thing happened to me, and it was a sample from TPC, which I understand are careful of these things. Didn't do anything for me.

  40. #40

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I don't care how many natural ingredients you use. How a fragrance can go from a beautiful, complex melon scent to an acrid salty mess is incomprehensible.

    Creed had me as a Millesime Imperial lover for life. I'm sure they would have made thousands of dollars off me dutifully replacing every year the cologne I had decided was my signature scent. Now, well, the search begins again. And dammit, this means I've lost Dior Homme Intense and Millesime Imperial in just the last few months.
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  41. #41

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I for one have to agree with you with the different batches. I once smelled Silver Mountain Water and it smelled like someone's sweat after climbing a mountain. Then I smelled a different one and smelled even worse if you can imagine that. As for the MI, All the MI's the two samples I have sniffed recently all give me that salt blast. Quite Frankly I really dont see how its worthy of the praise it receives.

  42. #42

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I've had a few bottles of MI going back seven, eight years and the "salt blast" has always been there; it's part of the marine accord the scent has, not unlike Erolfa. It's even listed on creedboutique.com for notes:

    Top Notes: Crisp fruit notes, sea salt
    Middle Notes: Sicilian lemon, bergamot, mandarin, Florentine Iris
    Base Notes: Musk, woody and marine notes

    Couldn't explain why you're not smelling any of the "melon" notes, however. Typically those types of top notes are the first to go, but these sound like they're newer in production, so...??? Has anyone with this issue had another person smell them to get an objective, second opinion?
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

  43. #43

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    My question to Creed might be, "if you are telling me that the problem with the batch consistencies with MI is due to your 'natural ingredients,' how is it that no other perfumer in the world uses natural melon as a fragrance constituent? Are you really expecting me to believe the reason the melon note is is inconsistent from batch to batch is due to its being a 'natural' fragrance material?"

    Natural materials, my eye!
    Last edited by mrclmind; 13th October 2011 at 07:55 AM.

  44. #44

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    It's okay to give up on a company that wears their apparent terrible quality control as a badge of honor, IMO.

  45. #45

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I own MI, Aventus and GIT, and those were bottles I purchased at the beginning of my perfume journey; up till now, their levels remain almost the same/untouched in their respective bottles. My Aventus and GIT are perfect batches (direct from Creed), each having their own strong pineapple and violet notes, but the MI that I've gotten (from ClickFragrance -online shop) has very little to no melon at all. I know this as I have a decant from a basenoter as well. Disappointed as I bought it for the melon-y topnotes and not for the salty ball-sack note.

    So yea...pretty much given up on Creed, sadly. And yes I have tried contacting Creed directly through email, but all they said was there were no other complains, and if I've purchased it from an online retailer I will need to bring the issue up with them directly. Sigh.

  46. #46

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    My question to Creed might be, "if you are telling me that the problem with the batch consistencies with MI is due to your 'natural ingredients,' how is it that no other perfumer in the world uses natural melon as a fragrance constituent? Are you really expecting me to believe the reason the melon note is is inconsistent from batch to batch is due to its being a 'natural' fragrance material?"

    Natural materials, my eye!
    The gorgeous melon note effect comes about from a combination of Mandarin, lemon and Iris with bergamot. Not I believe a natural melon note. I guess if these are not balanced right within a batch/mix you get different variations in the strength of the melon note.

  47. #47

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    The gorgeous melon note effect comes about from a combination of Mandarin, lemon and Iris with bergamot. Not I believe a natural melon note. I guess if these are not balanced right within a batch/mix you get different variations in the strength of the melon note.
    With all due respect to Creed I smell some definite synthetic components in this scent.

  48. #48

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Who else but Creed seems to have this kind of issue? Guerlain? Chanel? Amouage? Gucci? Short answer: nobody. If (to take just one example) Jicky had this kind of crazy batch variation issue, it would have died on the vine long ago. I may try to get a secondhand MI from pre-2010, but until Creed fixes this stupid, stupid quality control issue, I'm avoiding its colognes. I refuse to become an amateur detective to sniff out the "right" batch of a fragrance I'm already paying top dollar for. They can laugh all the way to the bank on someone else's dollar.
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  49. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I actually find the batch variations kind of nice. It shows they really do make batches of the scent, with varying harvests of ingredients. How those ingredients play against the synthetics is a little bit different each time. They say no two Rolls Royces are alike. With the car it's an asset - I see it as an asset for perfume, too.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 22nd November 2011 at 04:40 PM.

  50. #50

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    I actually find the batch variations kind of nice. It shows they really do make batches of the scent, with varying harvests of ingredients. How those ingredients play against the synthetics is a little bit different each time.
    I'm finding the same enjoyment with 3 different lots of Original Vetiver. They are like good, better and best with the good OV still very worthy. I'm not a fan of MI (or aquatics) but I can certainly understand why people like it. I sold a gold MI 120ml tester to a fellow here earlier this year who says that older formulation is great. I've had very good luck with Creed fragrances and I wear quite a few of them.

    Martin

  51. #51

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    I've experienced the same thing with SMW. Was a gorgeous scent, top to bottom, but I particularly loved the drydown on it (which I still do). I went through so many bottles of it, but I guess luckily, I was able to sell or return the bottles that just didn't cut it. I eventually bought a bottle at a good price from someone who got theirs from a Creed Boutique, and I've been very happy ever since.

    Bottom line is: don't give up on this company, and most importantly, on your favorite scent. I own a half-full 2.5 ounce bottle of MI, which I actually got a couple years ago for $55.00 (was fuller when I bought it, but amazing the deals you can get sometimes). I definitely get that big fat melon note. The note is very assertive, and doesn't go away for hours upon hours. Also get a pretty nice, musky drydown. It's funny because I don't even know anything else.

    My advice to you would be to keep trying to get this fragrance - Try as many places as you can, and put emphasis on people who bought their bottles from a Creed Boutique or Neiman Marcus. If Fragrancenet/X doesn't work, then just return it (you have your right because you know how the fragrance smells). You'll get the bottle you want. Might take some time, but you will eventually...And it will be worth it.

  52. #52

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Apologies, accidental post.
    Last edited by barclaydetolly; 14th October 2011 at 04:10 AM.
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  53. #53

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    [QUOTE=MOONB;2314736]I actually find the batch variations kind of nice. It shows they really do make batches of the scent, with varying harvests of ingredients. How those ingredients play against the synthetics is a little bit different each time. They say no two Rolls Royces are alike. With the car it's an asset - I see it as an asset for perfume, too.




    I absolutely, totally, categorically disagree with this.

    When I buy "Creed Millesime Imperial" I don't want to go on some olfactory adventure to see what the product inside might smell like, wondering whether it will smell like the last "Creed Millesime Imperial" I bought. I am paying a whole lot of money to buy a consumer product that is supposed to be identical to the last one with the same name. When I buy Terre d'Hermes, for example, it's not because I want to be surprised by some crazy thing Hermes has put in a bottle that just might smell something like the last bottle I bought, but whimsically different; it's because I like the smell of Terre d'Hermes and want to buy that specific smell again. Every company in the industry knows this and achieves uniformity. Creed cannot or will not do what it takes to put out a consistent product. And this is a product that is often bought online, without being able to smell the specific one you buy. The customer has to have faith that the product the manufacturer calls MI will be like the MIs the customer has bought in the past.

    Let's say you go to an expensive, five-star restaurant you've been to dozens of times before. You order its signature dish, a filet with red wine sauce called "Steak Chez Nous" that'll set you back $100.00. When it comes out, you're stunned -- without telling you, they've suddenly changed "Steak Chez Nous" to be a sirloin with a cream sauce. What's more, when you complain, the manager says that from now on, whenever you order "Steak Chez Nous," it could be sirloin with cream, or could be filet with wine, or could be whatever meat they have in the back they think is the best on that day, with whatever sauce they think is appropriate. Would you go back to that restaurant because it's now an exciting culinary adventure?

    I am not made of money. I will not play the Creed lottery and spend half my life looking up batch numbers on the internet to see if a particular Creed is worth buying. If you have the time and money to do so, feel free. Instead, I will patronize Guerlain, Gucci, Hermes, or the hundreds more that go to great lengths to ensure that when they put out a cologne with a certain name, I can be confident that it smells just like it did the last time I bought it.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 22nd November 2011 at 04:45 PM.
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  54. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I absolutely, totally, categorically disagree with this.

    When I buy "Creed Millesime Imperial" I don't want to go on some olfactory adventure to see what the product inside might smell like, wondering whether it will smell like the last "Creed Millesime Imperial" I bought. I am paying a whole lot of money to buy a consumer product that is supposed to be identical to the last one with the same name. When I buy Terre d'Hermes, for example, it's not because I want to be surprised by some crazy thing Hermes has put in a bottle that just might smell something like the last bottle I bought, but whimsically different; it's because I like the smell of Terre d'Hermes and want to buy that specific smell again. Every company in the industry knows this and achieves uniformity. Creed cannot or will not do what it takes to put out a consistent product. And this is a product that is often bought online, without being able to smell the specific one you buy. The customer has to have faith that the product the manufacturer calls MI will be like the MIs the customer has bought in the past.

    Let's say you go to an expensive, five-star restaurant you've been to dozens of times before. You order its signature dish, a filet with red wine sauce called "Steak Chez Nous" that'll set you back $100.00. When it comes out, you're stunned -- without telling you, they've suddenly changed "Steak Chez Nous" to be a sirloin with a cream sauce. What's more, when you complain, the manager says that from now on, whenever you order "Steak Chez Nous," it could be sirloin with cream, or could be filet with wine, or could be whatever meat they have in the back they think is the best on that day, with whatever sauce they think is appropriate. Would you go back to that restaurant because it's now an exciting culinary adventure?

    I am not made of money. I will not play the Creed lottery and spend half my life looking up batch numbers on the internet to see if a particular Creed is worth buying. If you have the time and money to do so, feel free. Instead, I will patronize Guerlain, Gucci, Hermes, or the hundreds more that go to great lengths to ensure that when they put out a cologne with a certain name, I can be confident that it smells just like it did the last time I bought it.

    If you want uniformity, buy synthetically-made fragrances. If you want subtle differences, buy infusion-made fragrances. There's a reason they call it Millsime Imperial. You need to know that what you're buying isn't going to be the same every time, and isn't going to be starkly different, either. Some notes will jump out more than others depending on the year. That's what vintage is. Just like with fine wine, you don't know what you're going to get exactly, but you should know that it will be good. We're so conditioned to think that everything we buy has to be uniform that when a company ignores this trend, freak-outs ensue.

    Your restaurant metaphor makes no sense, but I'm sure I'm missing something there. A "house" steak is allowed to change. That's what makes it the house steak. The House decides.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 28th October 2011 at 01:46 PM.

  55. #55

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I am not made of money. I will not play the Creed lottery and spend half my life looking up batch numbers on the internet to see if a particular Creed is worth buying. If you have the time and money to do so, feel free. Instead, I will patronize Guerlain, Gucci, Hermes, or the hundreds more that go to great lengths to ensure that when they put out a cologne with a certain name, I can be confident that it smells just like it did the last time I bought it.
    Ok dude, move on already how many times will you say this?

    Also there is no "natural extract or oil of melon" but there are various grades of synthetic aromachemicals and expertise on how it is integrated in a fragrance - some perfumers can also create an illusion of melon by juxtaposing various complementary notes. Millesime Imperials melon-aquatic note is one of the best on the market.
    -

  56. #56

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Millesime Imperials melon-aquatic note is one of the best on the market.
    Depends on the batch. That is the problem right there.

  57. #57

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    You need to know that what you're buying isn't going to be the same every time, and isn't going to be starkly different, either. ...

    Well, you put your finger on it. The 2010 MI is starkly different from the 2009 MI. Nothing more need be said.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 28th October 2011 at 01:46 PM.
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  58. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Well, you put your finger on it. The 2010 MI is starkly different from the 2009 MI. Nothing more need be said.

    Doubtful, but okay. Creeds change (i.e. improve) as they age. Hopefully the comparison isn't being made due to differences in age between the two bottles, relative to when the fragrance itself was bottled.

    I'd add that the only site from which to purchase is the Creed boutique. Always got terrific stuff directly from the source. These other discount sites . . . always less than satisfactory.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 28th October 2011 at 01:47 PM.

  59. #59

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    [QUOTE=MOONB;2315565]If you want uniformity, buy synthetically-made fragrances. If you want subtle differences, buy infusion-made fragrances. There's a reason they call it Millsime Imperial. You need to know that what you're buying isn't going to be the same every time, and isn't going to be starkly different, either. Some notes will jump out more than others depending on the year. That's what vintage is. Just like with fine wine, you don't know what you're going to get exactly, but you should know that it will be good. We're so conditioned to think that everything we buy has to be uniform that when a company ignores this trend, freak-outs ensue.

    Your restaurant metaphor makes no sense, but I'm sure I'm missing something there. A "house" steak is allowed to change. That's what makes it the house steak. The House decides.






    Oh come on!

    Creed are not unique. They do the soft shoe shuffle routine making out they are unique in their approach to perfumery. I know perfumers who use high quality and hard to source ingredients and yet STILL manage to produce consistent work.

    The simple truth about Creed is this: They don't give a shit. At all. They hike the prices up every year, continue to produce lines of variable quality, but because people buy into the myth they can get away with it.

    And yet people will still defend their stance. It's like in (I think) the Devil's Advocate where Pacino says, "the devil's greatest achievement was persuading people he didn't exist".

    Exactly what Creed have done. The "devil" if you like is in the detail. They don't give a flying **** about quality control or consistency. Because there are people there to just suck it up.

    I despise Creed, everything they stand for, the lies, the poor quality control, the poor longevity, the whole shooting match.

    They are a disgrace, but apparently made of teflon, because nothing seems to stick.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 28th October 2011 at 01:48 PM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

  60. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Almost giving up on Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    They are a disgrace, but apparently made of teflon, because nothing seems to stick.

    They're definitely not made out of Teflon. And you might want to consider why "nothing seems to stick" - if these charges were true, and shared across the board, then they eventually would stick.

    It's becoming clearer and clearer to me why Creed continues to raise its already-high prices every year. They're pricing those who know nothing about what they're buying right out of the market.

Similar Threads

  1. Help! Creed SMW giving me a rash!
    By spegel in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 6th March 2009, 04:41 AM
  2. Giving feedback
    By Titan in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27th January 2008, 01:20 AM
  3. Giving Creed to, well...CREED!
    By iMaverick in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22nd August 2005, 12:45 PM
  4. Im giving away two bottles if anyone wants them
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM
  5. Giving Creed to, well...CREED!
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000