Code of Conduct

Default Le Male and Versace Pour Homme - anything < $25 smell the same?

I saw on another thread that many people like Le Male so I went to smell it in order to see what all the discussion was about. Very nice cologne...especially after about 30 minutes or so (like the way it 'settles in' - doesn't really smell like anything I've worn before). While I was there I tried the Versace Pour Homme and really like it as well. Two entirely different colognes but like both equally well. The Versace in some way reminds me of the Chanel Allure Sport I just purchased.

I'm not wanting to put $50+ into another cologne right now some I'm looking for colognes that are very similar to either of those for under $25 for a 1.7 ounce bottle.

What would you suggest?

I've read on some post that people feel like Cuba Gold and Perry Ellis 360 White both smell similar to the Le Male. Can anyone comment on whether this is true or not and how the notes of those two compare to that of Le Male?

Thanks for any and all help.

TripleB

Default Re: Le Male and Versace Pour Homme - anything < $25 smell the same?

Le Male is somewhat similar to Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge

Cuba smells kind of like Le Male but not quite...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Le Male is also somewhat similar for me to Solara

Cuba Gold is decent Le Male substitute, look at Versace Dreamer as well or Perry Ellis White.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Cuba Gold is decent Le Male substitute, look at Versace Dreamer as well or Perry Ellis White.

Exactly. I own Cuba is it is as close as you will get to Le Male.

I was the one who mentioned Perry Ellis 360 White. I own both Le Male and 360 White, and they really are very similar. Even the longevity is close to the same for me. Personally, the only difference that I see is 360 White is a bit more linear and doesn't change quiet as much. I would say Le Male has a bit more of the minty note up top and also a stronger, sweeter vanilla note in the drydown. But, honestly the differences are pretty minor. I would almost guarantee that if you like Le Male, you'll like PE 360 White.

You can usually find 360 White often times at Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Ross's for $16-25 bucks. I'm not seeing the Perry Ellis stuff quite as much lately, but I still see some. Also, it is available in the $20 range online as well. For cheapies like you've been asking about, I think both 360 White & 360 Red would be great purchases that you would enjoy. (just be careful when buying them to make sure it's the male version. They make female versions of both scents and the bottles & packaging are the same except for colors. Also, TJ Maxx, etc. are bad about mixing up the male and female scents).

As far as other Le Male clones go; I haven't tried Cuba Gold, but I had, and got rid of, Jacomo Rouge. (I didn't find it similar to Le Male at all, and it had an "old man", spicy smell like the original Jacomo fragrance that I disliked. 360 White is much closer to Le Male).
    Last edited by BrianH1016; 12th October 2011 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks for all the advice. After about 2.5 hours now I'm not liking the Le Male as much as I originally did.

I know very little about colognes or notes but I'll try to describe what I'm smelling. At first I felt I could really smell the mint, then came some orange with a touch of cinnamon, but after a little longer there came a note that just doesn't suit my nose. I'm not sure if it is the lavender, sandalwood, or amber. It's whatever gives it that somewhat musty smell. It's very strange...it's like I get a small dose of the vanilla (love the vanilla smell) but then comes this strong 'old time cologne' smell that just isn't what I'm looking for in a cologne.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge in trying to describe what I'm smelling. If you can decifer what I said please let me know what it is so I can check future colognes for that note.

Thanks again for all your help.

TripleB

You can buy a bunch of Cuba frags for under $25. The advantage is that you can then study them over the next month or two and try to figure out what you like most. I suggest getting: Gold (if you like Le Male), Orange, Red, Black, Green (if you've never tried CK's Escape for Men), Blue (if you've never tried CK One), and then you'll still have some money left over to get a frag of higher quality, such as Z-14.

Cuba Gold FTW

I own Perry Ellis 360 White, Cuba Gold and Jacamo De Jacomo Rogue. I think the Cuba Gold is the closest to Le Male.

I also think gold is the closest, Gold is actually a pretty decent frag considering its the cheapest fragrance you can buy.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

LR - Jungle Man is exact copy of Le Male. I compared them and only difference is that Le Male has better longevity.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Cubana Gold is probably the best Le Male substitute, some would even argue it is better than Le Male. I have Cuba Gold as well, and it is no contest. Cubana Gold And Cuba Gold almost look identical and cost the same, but I'd go for the first despite the popularity of Cuba Gold.

Givenchy pi dry down smells like le male.. but sweeter.

Dependent

I'm not feelin the Givenchy Pi drydown similarity too much, but Cuba Gold and Perry Ellis 360 White are all very, very similar to Le Male. Pi on my skin is too linear and almost has the same set of notes all the way through without transitioning at all, for others it is way different. As for Cuba Gold and 360 White, they both have amazing longevity on my skin which is a feat as my skin doesn't take many scents for the long ride. Sometimes I will wake up in the morning and smell the previous day's application of the latter two. Of these last two, they are both powdery but 360 White seems especially powdery to me. Just some notes. Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Cubana Gold is probably the best Le Male substitute, some would even argue it is better than Le Male. I have Cuba Gold as well, and it is no contest. Cubana Gold And Cuba Gold almost look identical and cost the same, but I'd go for the first despite the popularity of Cuba Gold.
    Cubano gold for sure

you can get a 4.2oz for about $13 online

Versace Dreamer is along pretty much the same lines and barely surpasses the $25-barrier

I wouldn't really buy any of the cuba line because of it's longevity and projection. Why waste money on something that won't last on your skin that much?

perry ellis white, that's the cheapest you could get with a decent longevity and projection.

The Dreamer, Cuba Cold and Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme are all somewhat similar to Le Male. Le Male being the best of them though, for me. Else perhaps Rochas Man, Givenchy Pi, Bvlgari Black should do the job. Not sure how much they all sell for.

Have not smelled the Versace but I believe to remember that Davidoff Silver Shadow Altitude supposedly smells similar.

Quote Originally Posted by problem View Post
    I wouldn't really buy any of the cuba line because of it's longevity and projection. Why waste money on something that won't last on your skin that much?
    + 1

Didn't you end up purchasing Cuba Gold TripleB?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by problem View Post

perry ellis white, that's the cheapest you could get with a decent longevity and projection.

I don't know why, maybe I have blessed skin, but Cuba Gold lasts all day (and then some) on my skin.

as others have mentioned cuba gold and perry elllis white.

Banned

The Dreamer by Versace is an inexpensive ($35 for a large bottle) alternative to Le Male ... be forewarned, the opening is sweet and synthetic, and could be off-putting; but, please tolerate it ... the middle is sweet/floral, and leads to a wonderful dry down with its beautiful, romantic, sweet, woody and soapy scent, with a delightful, tobacco note ... truly, this fragrance gets better the longer it is on your skin ... very good longevity and projection ...

Quote Originally Posted by We Came As Romans View Post
    Didn't you end up purchasing Cuba Gold TripleB?
    Yes...purchased 1.17oz for $6.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbar1104 View Post
    I don't know why, maybe I have blessed skin, but Cuba Gold lasts all day (and then some) on my skin.
    I agree...lasts at least 7 hours, usually more.

TripleB
    Current Favs: Versace Pour Homme, Pi by Givenchy, Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger, Swiss Unlimited, Burberry Sport, CK One Shock