Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Caron Yatagan - crazy fragrance !!

Any Yatagan users out there ?!?

Have been testing this crazy wild frag for the last week or so.

Honestly when I first got it (blind buy since it's not available in Denmark) I was hugely disappointed.

Felt like when I tested Dior Homme. Had really high expectations, but eeeehhwwwww what a dreadful smell.

Yatagan smells like wet 2 months old unwashed fur on a bear or a wolf

I immediately thought about selling it or using it as a before Gym scent, problem is to me it smells worse than my own stinking sweat

But wait up - here comes the weird thing. This scent grew on me.
    The more I used it and found I only had to apply 2-3 sprays, and not higher than my breast and arm pit region, Yatagan slowly started to interest me.

This 70's fragrance is probably the weirdest frag I've ever smelled in my life. It's wild, crazy, heavy, dirty, soppy - yet I began to find it more and more interesting.

I tested it further over a couple of days and I sort of grew into it.

It will never be a Top 10 frag for me, but it's unique and smokey wild - and I've started to enjoy it actually.....

I find comparable scents like Antaeus and KOUROS clearly superior though - but Yatagan is truly unique.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Default Re: Caron Yatagan - crazy fragrance !!

Strange. Did you get vintage?

I only have the recent one, which I love, but I've always had problems in understanding the fuss about the animalics. I get an exciting, wild green-herbal blast that later turns into a dark, but clean woody. Unusual, wild, and crazy, but not in a sweaty way. Of course, I could be anosmic to some towering musk.

cacio

Yatagan is a rather underrated fragrance, unfortunately, because it is excellent. I understand it can be quite a challenge to some people but it is so well crafted that with time it can steal these people's heart. It is in my top ten list.

Have you known other Caron's masculine frags? L'Anarchiste, which is IMO even better than Yatagan, and there are also Pour un Homme and Le Troisieme Homme (also called Third Man in USA).

I find that it doesn't have enough contrast. The notes all go in one direction, so to speak. Last time I sampled it the castoreum got to me after a while, but sometimes I can overcome that if I don't wear a frag for a long time, so I intend on giving it another chance at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Strange. Did you get vintage?

I only have the recent one, which I love, but I've always had problems in understanding the fuss about the animalics. I get an exciting, wild green-herbal blast that later turns into a dark, but clean woody. Unusual, wild, and crazy, but not in a sweaty way. Of course, I could be anosmic to some towering musk.

cacio
    The one I got was a 125 ml EDT SPRAY from FragranceNet, sealed and looked like a new batch to me but could be wrong - BTW now 2 deliveries in a row ( 16 EDT bottles total) with no problems from FragranceNet to me in Copenhagen, Denmark, Europe by the way

And because they use Belgium postal service the Danish vat / tax guys thinks it's from Belgium, so no vat, no tax - real genuine low budget American Prices on perfume

Have an order from Beauty Encounter coming in with 17 bottles EDT - cross my fingers I avoid the evil 25% tax / vat guys !!!!!
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

I had the exact same reaction and eventual 180 with Yatagan, except my initial shock was not from the animalics (it is not that animalic, IMO), but from the strong celery and meat seasoning-like notes in the opening. Now I love it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I find that it doesn't have enough contrast. The notes all go in one direction, so to speak. Last time I sampled it the castoreum got to me after a while, but sometimes I can overcome that if I don't wear a frag for a long time, so I intend on giving it another chance at some point.
    I think the fresh/woodsy aspects contrast the castoreum/musk base quite well.

I really like it... but it doesn't seem like a wild, crazy or dirty frag to me. I find it rather light and uplifting, with the castoreum adding some weight.

i like yatagan much better than antaeus and especially kouros.
    like most caron scents though, it wears differently for me, depending on wheather.
    ... and forget about stories like rochas man or some gourmand scents being sexy and s.n.... yatagan was the scent that after my wife had smelled on me she said she likes me to wear it only when i am with her.
    if you are into macho scents - the other 3 designers i recommend are tenere, insense and giorgio vip - all discontinued though.
    as far as the house of caron - they are all worth owning. considering price vs. quality this is the best perfume house.

Quote Originally Posted by lgarruda View Post
    Yatagan is a rather underrated fragrance, unfortunately, because it is excellent. I understand it can be quite a challenge to some people but it is so well crafted that with time it can steal these people's heart. It is in my top ten list.

Have you known other Caron's masculine frags? L'Anarchiste, which is IMO even better than Yatagan, and there are also Pour un Homme and Le Troisieme Homme (also called Third Man in USA).
    I also have the 200 ml Caron ph EDT spray. A bit tame compared to Yatagan, smells like lavender & weak sandalwood to me, a classy discrete scent though. Layer it with Chanel Allure Homme and also with Azzaro ph. Nice on my skin

Have Caron Le Third man EDT coming from the us in my next 17 bottle EDT order !

Will also buy l'Anarciste soon....based on your recommendations....
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

As Casio says: I don't understand "the fuss" with this fragrance at all either.

I bought it for my bf and he wears it easily, practically everyday working as a carpenter / actor in theater. I also wear it as a chick, on me it just smells sort of sweet celery and outdoorsy. It's very normal to me, nothing bizarre, "wild", or outrageous.

But hey, he's also wearing Carnal Flower today. And on him it smells like a clean fresh smellling after shower fragrance, wheras I can not pull it off at all. So maybe your chemistry is spinning it to somewhere alien.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
    I don't either. It is a very good fragrance - nothing weird IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Perhaps this is the real issue with Yatagan:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...ody-odour.html

LOL !

for me is ,in a way , ugly and weird with its harsh an bitter opening but once you get use to it you don´t want to stop smelling it time and again!! haha

yatagan is brilliant. one of those I belong in nature fragrances that are nowadays hard to come by.

I blind bought it and tried it couple of time but it never grew on me. Maybe it is because of this Florida hot weather, but fragrance was just to strong for me. It is same with Third men.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.
    Currently wearing: Opus VI by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post

I bought it for my bf and he wears it easily, practically everyday working as a carpenter / actor in theater. I also wear it as a chick, on me it just smells sort of sweet celery and outdoorsy. It's very normal to me, nothing bizarre, "wild", or outrageous.

But hey, he's also wearing Carnal Flower today. And on him it smells like a clean fresh smellling after shower fragrance, wheras I can not pull it off at all. So maybe your chemistry is spinning it to somewhere alien.
    I think body chemistry and individual nose has a LOT to say regarding all scents.

For instance on me KOUROS smells nice, clean, fresh and sharp. Worst remark has been that I smelled like I've been to the dentist.

I know of other guys using KOUROS and this smells like urinal cake on them....so body chemistry has a LOT to say.

On me Yatagan smells like wild wet fury animal....

I have the same problem with Dior Homme - smells like sickly lipstick makeup iris on me.

On the other hand Antaeus smells strong, clear and great on me.

Still bedazzled by Yatagan though...on my skin a very weird mysterious scent....
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

It's a strong one for sure but a good one IMO.

This fragrance does grow on you if you give it a chance. I love it and it's a great scent for summer IMO. For me it works well in the humidity and I agree with Dorje123- uplifting. It's a great masculine!
    La vita č breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest05

Last edited by Guest05; 10th March 2012 at 05:51 AM.

Power Where You Need It

One of my favorite fragrance ever. Nothing weird to me either. It may result not so easy to appreciate on a first sniff just like certain types of music. But once you got into it, there's nothing like it. Pop songs are much easier to like but you get easily bored of them.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I don't find Yatagan terribly animalic or shocking at all, well, the celery note is kinda odd, but it's mainly just a very good vegetable smelling frag. Nice woody drydown too. I think it's pretty damn wearable if your mind is open to non-aquatic/gourmand/trendy stuff.

Also, L'Anarchiste is godlike. Love the stuff. I like all of the Caron's mens frags so far, hopefully Yuzu Man continues their winning streak.

Yatagan is beautiful, especially in the fall. The sense that the celery seed note was dominating the composition disappeared after a few wearings, and it now seems to me a great comfort scent.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Dependent

Very unique fragrance with an unmistakable character, immediately recognizable out of the bottle. I love it. The only fragrance resembling it out there is Barbier des Iles, which is like a distorted lesser version.

Regarding the article, I definitely think it's true. My underarms often have a celery seed smell I have noticed distinctly before.

I think barbier is just different, but I too would rate yatagan higher.
    another similar fragrance I've found was phileas by nina ricci, after high praise from aromi. it does smell similar, but.. browner.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    I think barbier is just different, but I too would rate yatagan higher.
    another similar fragrance I've found was phileas by nina ricci, after high praise from aromi. it does smell similar, but.. browner.
    I don't find Phileas resembles Yatagan much -- they only share the celery seed note, and otherwise differ widely; especially the iris in Phileas sets it apart.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    I think the fresh/woodsy aspects contrast the castoreum/musk base quite well.

I really like it... but it doesn't seem like a wild, crazy or dirty frag to me. I find it rather light and uplifting, with the castoreum adding some weight.
    I feel the same way as Bigsly. Great perfumes usually exhibit a certain tension between opposing notes. Yatagan has a forceful, singular direction throughout, very dry and woodsy. However, there is a strange clean muskiness in the base. For me, that's a note that needs another home. It's out of place in Yatagan. Also, Yatagan's longevity leaves something to be desired on my skin. Maybe others have better luck with that.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 22nd November 2011 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    I feel the same way as Bigsly. Great perfumes usually exhibit a certain tension between opposing notes. Yatagan has a forceful, singular direction throughout, very dry and woodsy. However, there is a strange clean muskiness in the base. For me, that's a note that needs another home. It's out of place in Yatagan. Also, Yatagan's longevity leaves something to be desired on my skin. Maybe others have better luck with that.
    So, by that logic, Yatagan does have tension between opposing notes (dry and woodsy vs. clean muskiness). That's what I like about it, actually! What would you rather have the opposing note(s) be?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Dependent

Yatagan's longevity seems about average to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    So, by that logic, Yatagan does have tension between opposing notes (dry and woodsy vs. clean muskiness). That's what I like about it, actually! What would you rather have the opposing note(s) be?
    Yatagan has several intersecting tensions. In the opening, sweet geranium, juicy bergamot and bitter, strident wormwood form a bitter-green accord. The heart is dominated by the unique celery-castoreum combination -- along with oakmoss rounding the vintage formulas. The base's sweet styrax contrasted with gamey, dark castoreum form a new, warmer accord. Pinewood is the throughline. The tensions are a big reason why it's one of my favorite fragrances.

I didn't think highly but I gave it some time and I was able to pick and distinguish notes I love, the castoreum, the pine - I love it equally alongside the much more expensive and plush Cuir de Russie