Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Caron Yatagan - crazy fragrance !!

Always enjoyed it.

I don't get this sweaty thing. Also i suppose people around me like it. They tend to say how woody it is. I have the new one and never smelled the vintage one. I needed time to love it, but i did not force it! It is strange... I was impelled to smell it again days after i first sampled it. Now i wear it often. Beautiful!

Basenotes Plus

I wore Yatagan again yesterday. I just had to write that I think this could be the end for me. I could buy a couple bottles of this and stop my perfume ramblin'. Perfectly captures my sensibility and has an allusiveness that is captivating. My favorite perfume!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like Yatagan you should give Dior's Jules a try. Jules however is very difficult to get outside of France though, hence eBay prices are astronomical.
    by the time you can afford good speakers, you can't hear the difference

Basenotes Plus

Thanks Beftus. I'll check out Jules..

Basenotes Plus

Ouch, you weren't kidding on the Jules price..

If like me you enjoy Yatagan, give a try to Kinski by Escentric Molecules. They both have a raw, exploration through the wilds aspect - untamed.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Let me recap since I'm the guy who started this thread

I have now tried and tested Yatagan EDT for 3 months and I can now finally conclude that I will NEVER get to like this frag even remotely.

I'm a HUGE GIANT fan of Kouros, Antaeus, Havana & Opium - all 70's and 80's silage monsters, so I thought Yatagan would be a frag right down my alley.

When I first sniffed my 125 ml EDT bottle in October last year, I was kind of shocked since the smell reminded me of wild wet animal fur in a deep dark unknown huge forest

Now that I have tried and tested it 20-25 times, I can update my feelings on this weird fragrance. It smells of nothing more or less than celery to my nose, strong raw celery.
    While I do enjoy celery, cooked or fried as healthy vegetables in stews or as part of a meal, I just can't stand to wear a frag that smells so much of celery - I now know what haters of Kouros feel like. While I LOVE Kouros, I realize many hate this frag because they get notes from it, that I don't.

The same with Yatagan - I just get this raw stinky rotten smell of a huge giant raw thick juicy celery - and nothing else. I have tried to understand and enjoy it, but he_ll NO!, this frag is going out of my collection, after thorough testing and experimenting I can finally conclude that Yatagan to my nose is an awful fragrance, that makes me a little bit sick and dizzy.
    Only one fragrance has disappointed me more this year - Dior Homme/Intense

I have used Yatagan solely for when I went to the gym during the last 15-20 wearings, because I thought yatagan at least was smelling better than my sweat - but I give up, since I'm in good shape now, even my own sweat after 2 hours hard intensive workout smells wonderful compared to Yatagan - even though I placed the smiley there, I'm not kidding !

Conclusion after thorough testing over 3 months is:
    Even my own 2-3 hour old sweat smells better than Yatagan !

I rate Yatagan 1/5 stars - a truly disgusting fragrance, that I will never get to like and understand. I give it 1 star because at least it's very original, that's all
    There are few things i would like to mention here.
    First thing is that i don't think a perfume like must be worn that frequently. It should be used as a surprise element.
    Second thing at least to me wearing this to gym is a strict no no.
    Last thing is that i would never spray it in a way that it hits the nostrils directly. I would never ever apply yatagan right on my neck, Instead it would be one spray on my wrist , one on my chest and one on the back of my neck.
    I am pretty sure doing so you would be able to enjoy this fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the Eccentric Molecules recommendation. I also agree that it might be good to savor this and not wear too much, but I think I could probably rock this pretty often :-) . I live in California and it seems to suit the climate/feel. I'm wearing third man today. I keep trying to figure out what exactly its like - I think a lot of perfumes. But third man has a little fizz kick like Yatagan. You can tell they're from the same maker. I gotta try 3rd some more, but for now the big Y is king :-)

Basenotes Plus

Surlio, did you end up in a bad place wearing Yatagan daily? Maybe like in a Murakami novel? •smile•

Quote Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
    Surlio, did you end up in a bad place wearing Yatagan daily? Maybe like in a Murakami novel? •smile•

Wearing it everyday, you will not end up in a bad place, but for sure your nose will end up feeling sad that he is a part of you

Blog Entries

Yatagan is awesome! A great Turin recommendation. I have a vintage sample and a 4-5 year old bottle, and my bottle has smelled great from day one. Never felt the need to chase vintage, but I would buy if the opportunity stumbled on me.

How is the castoreum is in the current formulation? I was going to blind buy this but is it still animalic still?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by surileo View Post
    Wearing it everyday, you will not end up in a bad place, but for sure your nose will end up feeling sad that he is a part of you
    Ok, you're probably right Surileo. What would you suggest to keep a smile on my nose on non-big-Y days? I'm wearing Rive Guache PH today, and liking the patch in the drydown.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    How is the castoreum is in the current formulation? I was going to blind buy this but is it still animalic still?
    I can't speak to what you will buy in 2014 - new IFRA regs are coming (reminds me that I owe somebody a PM - sorry for the delay, if you see this!). But I can tell you this - the OMG quality in the vintage is still in the stuff I bought a few years back. And castoreum would certainly fit that quality. I get the same visceral reaction from castoreum as a pure note that I do from Yatagan. But I have never really concentrated too hard on the animalic notes - mainly because I want to love the fragrance. Animalic notes add interest for me, but I need to keep my focus somewhat off of them, for them to add enjoyment. I focus on the woody, coniferous and boozy aspects of Yatagan, because those are a sweet spot for me.

^ Well I will just blind buy it anyway. Its hard finding Powerhouse fragrances as it is.
    Thanks for the info Red!

Quote Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
    Ok, you're probably right Surileo. What would you suggest to keep a smile on my nose on non-big-Y days? I'm wearing Rive Guache PH today, and liking the patch in the drydown.
    Rive gauche, a beautiful fragrance with super silage and a great compliment getter.You can never go wrong with this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    ^ Well I will just blind buy it anyway. Its hard finding Powerhouse fragrances as it is.
    Thanks for the info Red!
    No problem! Yatagan is an easy recommendation for most BNers.. Only the people who hate animalics and strong woody scents with a passion are at risk, IMO. Enjoy!