Code of Conduct

Default Refreshing Vanilla? - Is there such a thing?

Hey All,

Vanilla is one of my favorite notes. As i am sure it is for many of you. However I live in So. Cal where its warm pretty much all the time except for a a couple of months. I love frags like Musc Ravaguer and Guerlain Double Vanille and Tom Ford TV but to be quite honest I wont be able to get much wear out of them becuase they are mostly suited for cooler months and evenings.

Is there a more versatile, maybe even a refreshing vanilla out there that is masculine or at least male wearable? Something that would be versatile and ideal for the california resident?

Hit me with your thoughts. Thanks!

Default Re: Refreshing Vanilla? - Is there such a thing?

Fahrenheit 32.

I'd strongly recommend Roger & Gallet's Vanilla Gentle Fragrant Water. Tart, citrusy top with a light, not-excessively-sweet vanilla base.

Atelier Cologne 'Vanilla Insensee' could be a possibility.

Micalleff Note Vanillee EDP

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

L'Artisan's Vanilia may meet requirements. Blooms without becoming cloying in heat.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Caron pour un homme is a lavender vanilla combo that starts very fresh (with the lavender); eventually the vanilla takes over, but it never becomes dark or cloying. I heard that Impact (by the same brand) is a more lavender-rich version of Cpuh, but I have not tried it on skin.

cacio

Felanilla 21 by Parfumerie Generale

all sound like excellent suggestions, I like how i have never heard of any of them

Diptyque Eau Deulle

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Diptyque Eau Deulle
    reading up on this and it seems like it fits exactly what i am looking for as well as the Atelier Vanilla Incessee.

I almost just blind bought the diptyque but blind buying niche frags has burned me in the past... Thanks Bond New Haarlem. lol. So I will take a trip to lucky scent this weekend and give them both a try

Le Labo Vanille 44 is quite refreshing, with a a hint of mandarin.

Caron 3rd Man immediately comes to mind. To me, citrus / vanilla that performs well in warmer weather.

To my nose, eau duelle has an "olive oil" note that I don't quite like. But you said you're going to try it first.

I love Troisieme homme as well (I am wearing it right now). The vanilla is more in the background, but I agree that it has a combination of fresh (citrus, flowers) and warm (barbershop musky fougere) that works well in warm weather and could satifsfy your requirements. And since we're going off in other directions, I wonder how you feel about saffron. Saffron also has a warm, cozy aspect, but can remain rather light and fresh; an example would be the luminous lemony saffron of Tom of Finland (Etat Libre d'orange).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    To my nose, eau duelle has an "olive oil" note that I don't quite like. But you said you're going to try it first.

I love Troisieme homme as well (I am wearing it right now). The vanilla is more in the background, but I agree that it has a combination of fresh (citrus, flowers) and warm (barbershop musky fougere) that works well in warm weather and could satifsfy your requirements. And since we're going off in other directions, I wonder how you feel about saffron. Saffron also has a warm, cozy aspect, but can remain rather light and fresh; an example would be the luminous lemony saffron of Tom of Finland (Etat Libre d'orange).

cacio
    Thanks for your post. I will def give duelle a try. I am glad you mentioned the olive oil because thats certainly a note I wouldnt think I would like. As for saffron, I havent really put my nose on too many fragrances where its a dominant note so I am not sure how I feel about it. While Im there I will certainly ask them to reccommend one.

Quote Originally Posted by fly777 View Post
    Le Labo Vanille 44 is quite refreshing, with a a hint of mandarin.
    I certainly thought this would be one to try. I happened to purchase a sample of it while I was at lelabo last weekend and I was just not impressed especially for the cost of the city exclusive bottle. I found it fizzy which I usually like but not in this case. I think theres just something in all lelabo fragrances that rub me the wrong way. The only one I liked was the bergamonte 22 and after a while I def got that "Cleaner" smell.

+1 for Fahrenheit 32. It's a nice floral scent that opens with orange blossom and then dries down to a nice "cool" vanilla note that has a touch of mintiness from the vetiver.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wazoos View Post
    Fahrenheit 32.
    +2 for Fahrenheit 32

The dry down of Tom of Finland and 1725 come to mind... though they're not usual vainillas...
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Águas Pétalas de Vanilla by Natura

Caron pour un homme is a lavender vanilla combo that starts very fresh (with the lavender); eventually the vanilla takes over, but it never becomes dark or cloying. I heard that Impact (by the same brand) is a more lavender-rich version of Cpuh, but I have not tried it on skin.

cacio
    I agree with this, it was the first thing that came to my mind upon hearing "fresh" and "vanilla".

Light florals like Fahrenheit 32

Even creamy, vanilla-cola-roses gourmand Blue Jeans by Versace, though strong and lasting, has a certain refreshing vibe to it

villoresi's piper nigrum

also maybe xeryus rouge

Blue Meditteraneo - Mandorlo di Sicilia
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Diptyque Eau Deulle
    This. Or try Habit Rouge Light (Legere) by Guerlain.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Byredos newest seven veils a completely different take on vanilla mixed with sandalwwod

Caron Pour Un Homme

There is only one refreshing, quality and easy to wear vanilla that I have found and that is Creeds Sublime Vanille. Its two main ingredients are citrus and vanilla (with light florals and musk).

Habit Rouge EDC (old formulation) might be a cheaper option if you can find it, but it isn't as vanilla dominant.
    -

Guerlain - Aqua Allegoria Line - Pamplelun

it's grapefruit and vanilla
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche

+1 Eau Deulle

Also a cheapy Raw Vanilla

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Good call on Eau Duelle. Also try Shalimar Eau Legere.

cacio
    A good suggestion. I would also add By Killian A Taste of Heaven which is like an upscale version of Caron Pour un Homme. But be aware both of these have fairly prominent lavender as well. As another SoCal guy, the CPuH is probably better in heat. A Taste of Heaven is pretty string and more lavender dominated.

The Caron seems to be a among the majority consensus. I will have to give it a shot. It seems like its been around for a while 1934?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    The Caron seems to be a among the majority consensus. I will have to give it a shot. It seems like its been around for a while 1934?!?!
    Well, it's what comes to mind for many when you say " refreshing vanilla."

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Another is Iceberg's Twice Homme. Mainly vanilla freshened with effervescent lime. Garnished with some spices but remains fresh throughout. A beauty in warm weather.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Well, it's what comes to mind for many when you say " refreshing vanilla."
    I happen to think its great...sometimes we forget about the classics, I mean some of those creeds have been around even longer. Doesnt matter to me if its been around a long time. If ive never tried it, its new to me!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Another is Iceberg's Twice Homme. Mainly vanilla freshened with effervescent lime. Garnished with some spices but remains fresh throughout. A beauty in warm weather.
    Sorry perfaddict, but Iceberg Twice homme is one of the harshest fragrances I have ever tried. I really can't recommend it.

If one is limited by budget, just stick with Caron pour un homme.
    -