Code of Conduct

Default Another example of olfactory fatigue

Hey folks,

For those who know aventus well, some have claimed that they can't smell it on their skin literally after 30 minutes of application yet they receive compliments many hours later. I have had the same experience so I decided to not use Aventus for over 3 weeks. This morning I put 2 sprays on my arm and I still smell it 9 hours later. After this happening with several fragrances in my collection I am finally convinced our noses trick us from time to time. Even after extensive testing of the Dior intense reformulation my nose got tricked into thinking it didn't last long...and I now know it does after giving that a few days break...

Nick

Default Re: Another example of olfactory fatigue

I think there are many people who have the same experience that you have had.

When I first got Chanels Pour Monsieur Concentree I would spray myself three times and after twenty minutes I could not smell anything. So I started using six sprays and even though I could not smell it people around me were getting knocked out by the sillage.lol

Some fragrance can overwhelm and you get olfactory fatigue and other scents you can be anosmic to, for me that would be Amouages Dia.

Im wearing regular Chanel Pour Monsieur right now and cannot smell much, but the guy sitting 2 metres away from me just asked which Boss Im wearing

Rotation!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Rotation!
    Ahhh ... the voice of reason

For me, the solution was to avoid top notes as much as possible. With spray bottles, I spray to the middle of the chest after taking a deep breath. Then I blow on that area to try and dry it quickly. I don't inhale again until I walk into another room, and then I blow on the area again. It's worked great for around three years now !

Aventus, Dior Homme Intense and Fierce are the worst I've found for this. I dread to think how strong I must have smelled at some points whilst unable to smell it on myself!

I get this problem from the Spanish budget frag On El - the notes are stunning, but no matter how much I apply, hardly anything left after 30-45 minutes at most

Basenotes Member ben_from_boston's Avatar

Last edited by ben_from_boston; 30th October 2013 at 03:27 AM.

Most every scent lasts at least 6 hours. I just shake my head when people say such and such scent is gone in an hour. They either sweat battery acid, or they're just suffering from olfactory fatigue. What I don't understand is how so many people say that such and such scent has short longevity, but that they were surprised to get a compliment many hours later. And yet, the next scent that seems to be gone in an hour they claim has horrible longevity.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Happened to me with Jubilation XXV. First time I wore it, I perceived it for about 15-30 minutes. I cut down the dosage from four sprays to two, and was getting it for about 7 hours. Went down to one spray and could smell it over 13 hours. I was ready to write this one off, but I'm glad I took a break from it for a while. The FB is currently on it's way. *I should probably update that thread I posted on it, come to think of it*

If Aventus actually had consistent batches, I would MAYBE consider giving it another shot. As longevity (or what I assumed it had for longevity) was a problem. The other problem was I figured it was rather expensive for something that smelled designer, but who knows?

The maybe is still a pretty big one though.
    Last edited by Partario; 17th October 2011 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    Happened to me with Jubilation XXV. First time I wore it, I perceived it for about 15-30 minutes. I cut down the dosage from four sprays to two, and was getting it for about 7 hours. Went down to one spray and could smell it over 13 hours. I was ready to write this one off, but I'm glad I took a break from it for a while. The FB is currently on it's way. *I should probably update that thread I posted on it, come to think of it*

If Aventus actually had consistent batches, I would MAYBE consider giving it another shot. As longevity (or what I assumed it had for longevity) was a problem. The other problem was I figured it was rather expensive for something that smelled designer, but who knows?

The maybe is still a pretty big one though.
    Haha, here I am commenting on your comment here as well :-)
    It is really weird how this phenomenon happens. But I also believe it is kind of a bummer if some fragrance gives you olfactory fatigue, I mean: 1. I want to spray enough in order to get people around me to smell it too, 2. if I do (1.), I also want to enjoy the fragrance myself while I'm wearing it.

Lloyd... i see a lose-lose situation there... It'd be sad if, in order to get others to smell your fragrance, you had to live without enjoying it yourself.

Sadly i think that's what happens most times. When I use a bomb like Tobacco Vanilla i struggle to smell it, i need to "search it" around me. But I know others smell it easily (my most commented frag along with Carnal Flower). I can't barely smell Coco when I spray myself, but I sprayed my mother and i was able to follow her scented trail about an hour later.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess the trick is to smell your collar/sleeves while you're wearing it, so you can still catch a whiff of it...

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    But I also believe it is kind of a bummer if some fragrance gives you olfactory fatigue, I mean: 1. I want to spray enough in order to get people around me to smell it too, 2. if I do (1.), I also want to enjoy the fragrance myself while I'm wearing it.
    I feel you there, dude. MAJOR Bummer.

This also happened recently with me and Borneo 1834. I tried to go light, because I wanted to enjoy it myself. Later I was going out though, so I reapplied two sprays only to be completely immune to it within an hours time. I had seen a bunch of threads bemoaning this perfume's longevity, and having just received it, I thought that it might be the case. Until after my shower the next day that is, where I was still smelling it 20+ hours later than my previous day's application. No alleged longevity problems. Just pure fatigue.

As long as I can smell them though, I'll do what I have to to avoid olfactory defeat, even if others can't smell what I'm wearing. Which works out well, since anything that doesn't smell like a bottled apology isn't usually smiled upon where I live.
    Last edited by Partario; 17th October 2011 at 04:16 PM.

Wow, Borneo 1834 is a bomb. I never doubted it has no longevity issues.

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Wow, Borneo 1834 is a bomb. I never doubted it has no longevity issues.
    Yeah, I realized that the next day. Awesome fragrance!