Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Overwhelmed and Under-educated - HELP

I need to step up my wardrobe and I'm not sure where to start. I live in an isolated community so nothing but the obvious dime-store or chain-mall opportunities exist. When I come across something that I like that seem a little different to me I am finding that it's a fragrance that is considered immature or pedestrian to most experienced collectors. I want to upgrade but I am having trouble.

The samples which I have received are sometimes good but are usually off the mark for me. In terms of my profile right now, I would say that Chanel's Coco is my signature for fall and winter. I love Midnight Poison by Dior - now retired. I am pleased with some greens for mid-seasons and in summer I have stuck to my stand-by of Vera Wang original, which is really great on me and for which I get regular compliments. I guess I like Orientals but I don't enjoy an over abundance of vanilla or patchouli.

Money is not necessarily an object, but I can't find a house where the tests or samples have really worked for me. I know there are more out there but I feel as if I am just reaching randomly. I want complex, sophisticated scents for winter that scream opulance and secrets. In summer, no fruit - save maybe grapefruit, and no over-powering rose. I always seem to get stuck in fragrances with a dry-down to a powdery-note, which, while not bad necessarily, seems redundant in what I like. Lots of stuff just don't las ton me either. I am open to any and all input. Many thanks!

Fox

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Overwhelmed and Under-educated - HELP

How much have you sampled in niche? Places like luckyscent.com, where you can order niche samples, are really useful here.

When you say opulent, not-too-vanillic, my mind goes to $$$ Amouage: Ubar, Gold (man and woman), Epic, and more. Or $$ Chanel Bois des Isles. But very cheap Stetson Original (for men, that is) could work at times; it's a bright floral oriental.

Fresh summery is more complicated because most fresh stuff is rather sharp and chemical. Citruses, which are fresh and pleasant, simply cannot last, it's a physical fact. You can explore vetivers, usually marketed to men. Again, $$ Sycomore by Chanel. Or even Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Foxfollower from the hinterlands of Cape Cod!
    Transplanted New Englander here.
    If you ever go up to Beantown, get yourself to Copley Square. Between Barneys, Saks and Neiman's- that mall has most lines worth sniffing.

Have you sniffed anything by Delrae? That line smells"opulent" to me. Highly recommend you sample.
    Also sample- Mauboussin by Mauboussin- Theorema by Fendi- Roberto Cavalli Oro.

I'm sure you'll get lots of great suggestions.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree, go to Copley Place-- BTW the Saks store is in the Prudential mall across the street, connected by an over-the-street breezeway.

Also agree about Parfums DelRae (Barney's has them), but you may also try to obtain some samples of Amouage fragrances (not available at any of the Boston stores as far as I know-- see Luckyscent or Aedes.com to purchase samples) I have (and love for winter) Amouage Gold woman; opulence defines it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I almost tried the Fendi! Now I will. I know nothing about Delae so I will research. Mauboussin has also come but before but i had not put it to the top of the test list, so I will track it down. Awesome help! Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of good suggestions already. I'd like to emphasize the need to spray when testing as opposed to dabbing. I find spraying to be an accurate representation of wearing it.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi - welcome! I'm pretty new myself. I found The Perfumed Court (www.theperfumedcourt.com) to be very helpful in finding good assortments of representative fragrances to try out. They have lots of great sampler packs in either a specific type (orientals, chypres, leathers, aldehydic florals, etc.) and ones that include great examples of perfumes from a variety of styles. Here's a link:

Sampler Packs at TPC

My advice is to try lots of stuff. I love things now that I never would have thought to try. Good luck, and have fun!

Perhaps something from the Montale line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Welcome Foxfollower from the hinterlands of Cape Cod!
    Transplanted New Englander here.
    If you ever go up to Beantown, get yourself to Copley Square. Between Barneys, Saks and Neiman's- that mall has most lines worth sniffing.

Have you sniffed anything by Delrae? That line smells"opulent" to me. Highly recommend you sample.
    Also sample- Mauboussin by Mauboussin- Theorema by Fendi- Roberto Cavalli Oro.

I'm sure you'll get lots of great suggestions.
    +1, another Boston to Cali transplant here. Like others have said, read some reviews and then invest some money in buying some 1ml samples online of things you think might interest you. You're at somewhat of an advantage because unlike the rest of us who may go to a dept store and spray a dozen+ things and then leave, having no recollection a few hours later of which ones they did and didn't like and having to go again and try those same fragrances over again, you have the luxury of trying the fragrances at your own pace at home without an SA breathing down your neck. Online vendors are going to be your best friend, as they're reputable, fast and have much better prices than dept stores anyhow. Plus most of the online vendors are located on the east coast in the NY area so anything you order you'll probably get very fast

Just take a deep breath, order a few samples and eventually when you feel comfortable you can make a purchase or two. Luckily fragrances (for the most part) are fairly cheap, so if you strike out with the first few purchases, it won't set you back as much as other hobbies (like car collecting )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Interesting point. Never occurred to me. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Awesome tip!! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to BN, Foxfollower and rubegon! From reading the previous posts it seems you have already been given some good advice Foxfollower. I second all of the suggestions, but particularly the one about reading reviews about scents. We have some great ones posted on this site to get you started. . . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This has been wonderful direction! I am sampling the Mauboussin now and I LOVE it. The current prices are reasonable, as well. I am working up to trying the "Gold" and in the mean time I will order some more samples from the leads you've provided.

It was a very windy, sunny and almost balmy day on Cape Cod today. I wore the Mauboussin and went to the beach which was churning with an extraordinary surf. For me, it's a match made in heaven! Thanks again!

Fox

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    A lot of good suggestions already. I'd like to emphasize the need to spray when testing as opposed to dabbing.
    Or, rather, sample fragrances the way you'll be wearing them before committing to a purchase. Some fragrances do still come in "splash" bottles. It hasn't often made a difference for me, but with C&S No. 88 the entire balance of the sprayed fragrance was different from the dabbed sample.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfollower View Post
    When I come across something that I like that seem a little different to me I am finding that it's a fragrance that is considered immature or pedestrian to most experienced collectors.
    So? The most important issue is whether you'll wear the fragrance if you buy it. At the end of the day, it's the unused bottles you'll regret purchasing.

I guess I like Orientals but I don't enjoy an over abundance of vanilla or patchouli.
    If you come across references to a "gourmand" quality in a fragrance review, these are the most common culprits I've come across. You may enjoy older orientals built more around amber or sandalwood, or some of the masculine orientals my be more to your taste (Samsara, Equipage). Do give you samples a full day's wear or three before buying if you're stepping outside your usual boundaries -- For example, a masculine oriental is more likely to have a dry, woody drydown, or a stronger rose/carnation heart note than you might want.

I want complex, sophisticated scents for winter that scream opulance and secrets.
    Habanita, Baiser du Dragon, Dzongkha, and the like come to mind.

In summer, no fruit - save maybe grapefruit, and no over-powering rose.
    To be honest, just about anything you enjoy the rest of the year can be worn in summer, although you'd probably be happiest wearing much less than usual. If you don't mind orange blossoms and crushed orange twigs over dry herbs, wood, and riding leathers, Bandit works just fine in hot weather. The Comme des Garcons incense series may have one or two summer hits for you...

... or not! Sample widely and take some outside chances. Half the stuff I've worn just this week are fragrances no SA would pull out based on my original descriptions of what I thought I'd like best: maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised too.

I always seem to get stuck in fragrances with a dry-down to a powdery-note, which, while not bad necessarily, seems redundant in what I like. Lots of stuff just don't las ton me either. I am open to any and all input. Many thanks!

Fox[/QUOTE]