Code of Conduct

Thread: Carnal Flower

Question Carnal Flower

i have tried carnal flower today. it stays very oily on my skin - this is my first impression... do you get this too?

Default Re: Carnal Flower

I don't get the oil, I get right away a big blast of tuberose. But tuberose does have strange notes, rubbery, gasoline, even meat and blood, so I can see how a nose might think about strange materials. (In my opinion, Fracas, while suitably tuberose-like, has less of these notes and registers as more floral. Tubereuse criminelle instead goes for them too, especially the camphoraceous aspect).

However, I do get (olive) oil from Eau Duelle (just to cite a perfume recently discussed), so I guess every nose has its own quirks.

cacio

It smells like an ordinary flower to me. Thank God I did not love this as it is too expensive.

i don't mean smells though.... it is fatty on my skin. i have not ever experienced such thing. ... could this be due to bad storage or fake?

Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    i have tried carnal flower today. it stays very oily on my skin - this is my first impression... do you get this too?
    Yes because Carnal Flower and Portrait of a Lady have higher oil concentration ratios than the others in the line. So naturally it'll be very oily. Which is a good thing.

for swap/sale:

i don't mean smells though.... it is fatty on my skin. i don't ever remember such thing. ... could this be due to bad storage or fake?
    Ys that's what i meant. I replied before reading the replies.

for swap/sale:

haha..... parfum and lotion at the same time... incredible

It's a nice scent but agree it's a bit pricey.

Sur la Plage

It's one of the best fragrances on the market, and worth every penny IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    It's one of the best fragrances on the market, and worth every penny IMO.
    do you also get the oilyness though, i find this somewhat unpleasant. i also wonder, has anybody ever heard about fake bottles of malle?

I just smell far too many green salicylates.

Other than that I've always thought it was something that would make a good fragrance for a church secretary.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

do you also get the oilyness though, i find this somewhat unpleasant. i also wonder, has anybody ever heard about fake bottles of malle?
    Yes, it it oily, I agree. I don't mind it, though.

i can say i don't enjoy the opening at all... it is the dry down that i appreciate as a great act of perfumery though. and still i much prefer une fleur de cassie
    Last edited by mspa; 16th October 2011 at 02:17 AM.

I had an oily phase in my Lys mediterranée bottle, i sprayed this and the smelling was amazingly stronger than the normal perfume, it smelled during days. I suppose it was concentrated perfume, i shaked the bottle and dissipated the oily phase.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I just smell far too many green salicylates.

Other than that I've always thought it was something that would make a good fragrance for a church secretary.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Guys got a question for long time fans of this amazing frag (petruccijc ^^ )

Carnal Flower is in my book one of the best fragrance ever created. Yet I wonder if you guys who know it for a while have smelled recent batches. I finished mine a few month ago and bought a new one last january, and it was simply different from my old bottle, and not quite as amazing.

It is much more "green" than my previous bottle, and not solar (if you see what I mean). Less coconut (sometime even monoi feeling as well I had with my previous one, not speaking about a cheap sun screen though). So yeah either my bottle is no good (but bought it abroad and can-t change it) or has there been any reformulation ? Anyway big difference between my two bottles, being said that I bought the 2 of them in a 2 year period, at the very same place.

Wd love to have your thoughts on this, CF fans.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Please never apply any montale on skin.

Upping the thread since I did not get any answer of my post (see 2 posts above), any info on differences between bottles or a possible reformulation, taming the coconut and solar effect and making the "green" aspect stronger ?
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    Guys got a question for long time fans of this amazing frag (petruccijc ^^ )

Carnal Flower is in my book one of the best fragrance ever created. Yet I wonder if you guys who know it for a while have smelled recent batches. I finished mine a few month ago and bought a new one last january, and it was simply different from my old bottle, and not quite as amazing.

It is much more "green" than my previous bottle, and not solar (if you see what I mean). Less coconut (sometime even monoi feeling as well I had with my previous one, not speaking about a cheap sun screen though). So yeah either my bottle is no good (but bought it abroad and can-t change it) or has there been any reformulation ? Anyway big difference between my two bottles, being said that I bought the 2 of them in a 2 year period, at the very same place.

Wd love to have your thoughts on this, CF fans.
    I can't recall exactly but I do remember someone mentioning that it wasn't the same as when it was first released - less floral and more green, if my memory serves me well.

Personally, I can't stand coconut in fragrances, so that was a deal-breaker from day one. I've tried so many times to get into Carnal Flower but just can't.

Yes, in fact I had the same impression.

I overall couldnt handle that big, fat, green tuberose.
    Smellin good

Upping the thread since I did not get any answer of my post (see 2 posts above), any info on differences between bottles or a possible reformulation, taming the coconut and solar effect and making the "green" aspect stronger ?
    My bottle (2 months old or so) seems to be greener than the sample I had some months ago. Maybe I don't remember that smell very well (the empty sample still smells and it's quite similar to my current bottle), but today, with a few wearings,i feel it's a bit greener.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it , I always think of it as a bit of a naughty fragrance , almost intimate .....

You should take this up with EFM online! I am sure they would be able to find you a solution that would please you if its a quality issue.

The only issue I have with Carnal Flower is that you have to pay close attention to the number of spritz's. Being a higher concentration 2 spritz's and I am ready to go. I learnt by error as one day I gave it 5-6 spritz's and for the entire day I felt I was realing in a mist of fumes which was not only naustic but generated a headache, being too heavy to appreciate its finer qualities.

I have always found CF incredibly oily. It never actually soaks into my skin and dries. Just sort of sits there and smells good

Sad day.

I wanted to make sure so ordered spray samples from tpc. Carnal flower as I knew it is indeed "dead".

My second bottle was not a bad one, the juice i m smelling right now is exactly the same.

Way greener, too green, and gone the coconut solar side of it. Or at least completely tamed and not comparable at all to the juice of pre 2008.

How could they possibly do that to one of the most beautiful juice ever ?

What a joke. I get it now why people who tried it during the last 2-3 years and never before did not like quite as much. What a shame.

Also, the colour is slightly different. The "new" juice is yellow and kind of greenish although more yellow, the old one I still have some drops of is yellow much darker, with some orange or light brown.

Wow! Sorry to hear about that, Roc_Xel, but I cant say I'm surprised. I may try and sample the new juice soon. Is it me or is CF not as potent as some say it is?

Oh, one word of warning: try and purchase your bottles from a FM boutique - if there's something wrong with your purchase, they'll happily replace it for you. Anywhere else and you'll be at the mercy of their store policy. For example, Liberty will not accept your bottle back even if there's an obvious discrepancy with the juice. You've been warned!
    Last edited by Trebor; 2nd November 2011 at 10:26 PM.

Roc_Xel, sorry to hear about that - reformulations can be heartbreaking. I bought a used CF bottle from a basenoter, so I don't know how old it is, although to me it smells very much like an official sample I received this September from Barney's. So if I had to guess, my bottle is a newer one.

Whichever version it is, I absolutely love Carnal Flower - easily one of my favorite scents. And if I heard the scent in my bottle was reformulated, I'd be devastated. In fact, if I do have an older bottle, I need to find a backup right away.

As for the greenness, I definitely get green from my Carnal Flower, but that's one of the reasons I love it. It adds a freshness that goes well with the richness of the tuberose and coconut and makes CF more versatile/easier to wear IMO. Now if my bottle is old and the new one is even greener, that might be too much. I'll have to figure out which I have.

To the OP, Carnal Flower is very oily - it doesn't absorb into my skin like other scents. It can be annoying, as I don't want it to stain my clothes, but the plus side is that it has amazing longevity on both skin and fabric (lasts weeks on coats/clothing).

Also, I usually do one spray to a wrist, then I rub both wrists together and then rub each of them on the sides of my neck. Pretty impressive performance from one shared spray, and the oiliness helps here (I also give a spray to my chest and possibly to the back of my neck for a full wearing).

Anyway, don't let the oiliness prevent you from enjoying the scent. It takes some getting used to, but in the end it's the scent that matters.

Back to Roc_Xel's issue, a color change could be due to light exposure/age, so that doesn't necessarily mean the juice was reformulated (although it sounds like the scent is quite different). Can anyone else confirm whether Carnal Flower has been reformulated, and if so, when?

Basenotes Member

When I wear this, I can imagine a very prim and proper lady, stripping down to her sexy (but still classy) lingerie. I have no idea how my brain thought of that when very expensive olive oil and ylang ylang are what registers to my nose. Nonetheless, I think it's time to get a full bottle of this.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but did we ever get consensus on whether Carnal Flower was reformulated, and if so, when?

Have any more experienced noses that know original Carnal Flower smelled it recently for comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but did we ever get consensus on whether Carnal Flower was reformulated, and if so, when?

Have any more experienced noses that know original Carnal Flower smelled it recently for comparison?
    I still need to smell this. Any comparisons/similarities to Tubereuse Criminelle in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    I still need to smell this. Any comparisons/similarities to Tubereuse Criminelle in your opinion?
    Well, both contain tuberose, but they are pretty dissimilar beyond that.

TC is a much cooler, leaner tuberose - it smells less heady and has a mix of other ingredients in play. It is a softer, gentler scent once you get past the opening. I can pick up the tuberose note in it, but it's blended with other notes so that the scent overall feels somewhat alien to me. It smells strange, and I have a hard time describing it. I'd never smell it and think I'm smelling directly from a flower.

Carnal Flower is much more about tuberose, in a very lush and ripe way. There are some other notes like coconut to add some radiance, something green to make you think of the leaves and stem (eucalyptus?), and the white musk in the base. The overall effect for me is similar to putting my face right up to a ripe bushel of tuberose flowers.

Carnal Flower seems more radiant compared to the coolness I get from TC. TC is the softer scent and wears closer to the skin, while CF really projects and declares its presence.

I think TC would seem more masculine to most, as it's less overtly floral/tuberose, although the greenness in CF is sufficient for me to feel comfortable wearing it.

You definitely need to try Carnal Flower out for yourself - it is my favorite floral so far.