Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    love and flip flops ...

Default Re: Fragrances you WANT to like

Mitsouko. I wish I got the magical experience that others do, but sadly, it is a disaster on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I really wanted to like Byredo's M/Mink but as much as I've tried to warm up with it, there's still the desweetened beeswax note that makes my stomach litterally contract. Said that this is still one of the most daring compositions so far...
    I blind bought this from colette before it was released worldwide and my mother received it in London. She phoned me in Qatar and told me what the hell I was thinking buying this horrible, horrible perfume! I grinned from ear to ear knowing it must be as daring and challenging as the reviews and literally could NOT wait to smell it. Fast forward two weeks later, I opened the package and sprayed on my wrist. At first, I got the immediate similar "civet" note that I get in Oud 27 but more synthetic. I really, really enjoyed the opening. However, it got bad after that...quickly. It literally made my stomach churn. I kind of enjoy Secretion's Magnifique nauseating vibe but M/Mink was that...tenfold! I have no idea what causes it but every time I TRY to like it, I go through that phase all over again. I must have wasted 10ml just trying to like it LOL!

Blog Entries

I expected to love the Tauers, and I really wanted to love them. So far I like them well enough, but don't love a single one of them.

Mitsouko - and yes, I've tried the vintage juice in at least three concentrations. How can Purure be so awesome yet this just not impress? It's well constructed, sure, but I don't love, love, love it. Same with many Guerlains, though L'Heure Bleu is just flat out bad on me, which leaves me mystified.

Dank basement or otherwise known as Bois d'Orage by Frederick Malle
    - Expect the unexpected

Blog Entries

Shalimar, Mitsouko, YSL Nu, D&G Sicily.
    Facebook group: Perfume Lovers in Singapore, Unite! (You don't have to be in Singapore to join.)

l'Instant de Guerlain - two wearings of chocolate Playdoh on the drydown

Until last night Knize Ten would've made this list, but after enjoying Charles Street and Tuscan Leather, I now appreciate its brilliance.
    Currently wearing: Leather Oud by Floris

Dependent

Kouros and Safari by Ralph Lauren.

Shalimar. If only I could take out the note I don't like, I'd be left with something wonderful: bergamot, citrus, vanilla, darkness...

Chanel No. 5, just as well though, my husband's mother's signature scent.

Angel. I love powerhouse scents with monster sillage and projection. I love patchouli. This smells good to me on other people. My husband loves it. But every time I go near it, it turns into rank, sweaty evil, and not in a good way.

I have a sample of Angel Violette, and it's downright amusing to juxtapose sweet violet with rank evil. But I can't wear it.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: I can haz all of your Mitsouko?

The scents I wish I could like are Dzing! and Tea for Two by L'artisan. I can see the cleverness and the artistry. However, the former is just dirty animal bedding on my skin and the latter smells like a freshly opened pack of cigarettes. (I know and have smelled these on other people - on whom they work marvellously - and this just makes me envious of the buggers).

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    The scents I wish I could like are Dzing! and Tea for Two by L'artisan. I can see the cleverness and the artistry. However, the former is just dirty animal bedding on my skin and the latter smells like a freshly opened pack of cigarettes. (I know and have smelled these on other people - on whom they work marvellously - and this just makes me envious of the buggers).
    For me, Tea for Two is a comforting scent that reminds me of smell I was quite familiar with from a very young age. My father was a cigar and pipe tobacco smoker and L'Artisan's creation is reminiscent of those fantastic fragrances.
    - Expect the unexpected

L'Homme Sage
    Straight to Heaven
    Ormond Jayne Man

Bought these when I was young and impressionable and now I just find them incredibly unpleasant - I suspect there is some cedar / wood thing going on that I have become very sensitive to. Lots of love and dicussion for all three and I feel like the kid standing at the edge of the playground wishing I could play, too.

Eau Noire is another one, but that's cool - I have made my peace with immortelle, just not my thing.

I'm not worried about the whole A*Men franchise - I don't want to like them.

PS It would also be nice to like Tobacco Vanille beyond the first 20 minutes or so and then I could really feel like I 'belong' but I guess that sense of inclusiveness I crave will forever be denied me.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 7th March 2012 at 09:35 AM.

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Eau Noire is another one.
    Same here. While I'm an immortelle freak, I found Eau Noir to be unbearably cloying,

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Narciso Rodriguez Musc Collection. I enjoy the top notes, even if a little soapy/hairspray, watered down Grey
    Flannel, mouldy mushroom, but the sillage of it vexes me a little. Not sure what to make of this one yet. On one hand I can see and greatly enjoy its qualities, on the other hand it's a little meh.

I want to like puredistance m, but on me it fastforwards to BOish smell and thats not what I want.

Azzaro PH comes off as an old, strange air freshener.

Creed bois de Portugal smells Oh so dated.

Dior Homme Intense still smells like lipstick, but Im not done with it yet.

Oh and I actually like 1 million and most Boss frags.

Life is too short to let others decide what smells I like ;-).

I was very naughty and bought Tea for Two AND Safran Troublant the other day... I find both unapologetic in their desire to please with a simple, sweet warmth. My skin teases out the vanilla in almost everything so these wrap me up in a cocoon of guilty comfort. Delicious.

Red face Re: Fragrances you WANT to like

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: I can haz all of your Mitsouko?

I was very naughty and bought Tea for Two AND Safran Troublant the other day... I find both unapologetic in their desire to please with a simple, sweet warmth. My skin teases out the vanilla in almost everything so these wrap me up in a cocoon of guilty comfort. Delicious.

I wanted to like Rose 31 as everyone seems to love the scent. For me it come across as a cumin heavy chemical mess with vetiver and that Iso -super note and there is little rose. I had a couple of samples and tried it many times and it still comes across to me as a unbalanced chemical disaster with total disharmony amongst the notes. I guess you cannot love them all.
    Currently wearing: Déclaration by Cartier

Chanel no.5

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817

I'm opening an orphanage for all the poor unwanted No. 5's out there!

Currently binging on roses.... Jo Malone, you dirty bitch. You too, Stella McCartney.

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817

Portrait of a Lady. Seriously, I tried so, so hard. But... I can't. *hangs head in shame*

Currently binging on roses.... Jo Malone, you dirty bitch. You too, Stella McCartney.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

Aventus. I have tried it a few times. It didn't leave much of an impression afterwards except "generic department store frag". But I keep feeling I should try it again, I have a strong feeling I might be missing something about it still, what people around me noticed while I wore it that I didn't. I want to like it, I like the idea of it and the bottle looks cool...

Dependent

Cartier Roadster...I'm a mint-head and I've really wanted to like it each time I've smelled it...it IS growing on me, but I still can't quite enjoy it.

Oh how I wished to love at least one Amouage so much so I bought the sample set of 10 from Harrods.

I admit I must be a philistine as everyone but Jubilation XXV has been overly dense and illegible to my nose. I'm going to do the Sniff and Talk with Amouage Gold for tomorrows florals to try to educate my nose but I don't hold out much hope and think the remain of the set need to find a new home

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne is too herbal, spicy and medicinal. I think it is a masterpiece, but I can not make myself like it enough to buy a bottle.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage: Tribute Attar, Jubilation XXV, GoldMan
    ------ Serge Lutens: Chêne, Tubéreuse Criminell, Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore, Coromandel
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir, Tobacco Vanille
    ------- Hermès: Terre D'Hermès Parfum, Ambre Narguilé
    ------ EDP Frederic Malle: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Parfum MDCI: Invasion Barbare
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I really, really hoped Derring Do by Ineke would be it. The notes read perfectly and the reviews universally fantastic so I ordered Ineke's beautiful sampler pack and...
    Ack! What the...? Where are all those attributes dollars&scents described so poetically? The citrus that included grapefruit, the freshness, the metallic petrachord? Sigh... On my skin, the whole thing started ick and stayed ick. So much so that I thought I must have received a bum sample. That seems pretty unlikey. Sorry, Derring Do it's me, not you.
    The search for the grail continues...
    Last edited by Symphonies; 8th April 2012 at 04:51 PM.

Bit on the fence about Lush's Breath of God but have not worn it much.
    Did not find enough love for Lush Dirty, Etat Libre d`Orange Sex Pistols, Nautilus Aqua and Ferre Bergamotto Marino.

Basenotes Institution

Musc Ravageur - no can do ! I really want to love it but I can't.
    Petty small minded people have no place in my life.
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

PG's Cuir Venenum. I kind of love it already, but it has this slightly disturbing edge to it that I can't shake off. I want to be able to move past that so that I can wear it, because I think it's a GREAT scent.

I do sometimes feel embarrassed by my opinion of Mitsouko. I know it's this legendary fragrance and highly regarding by perfume buffs, but I l-o-a-t-h-e it. I loathe it so much I don't even WANT to love it! And every time I say that to a perfumista, I brace myself...

Quote Originally Posted by finzi View Post
    PG's Cuir Venenum. I kind of love it already, but it has this slightly disturbing edge to it that I can't shake off. I want to be able to move past that so that I can wear it, because I think it's a GREAT scent.

I do sometimes feel embarrassed by my opinion of Mitsouko. I know it's this legendary fragrance and highly regarding by perfume buffs, but I l-o-a-t-h-e it. I loathe it so much I don't even WANT to love it! And every time I say that to a perfumista, I brace myself...
    I don't think there is anything wrong with loathing one of the "greats" - as long as one has the general understanding of why it might be regarded as one of the "greats" in the first place.

For me; I really wish I could like L'heure bleu but I wore it briefly during a bad time in my life and it now has awful associations that make me feel bad things about the fragrance, regardless of its beauty. (I do adore Mitsouko, though, and will gladly accept any Mitsouko rejects ).